HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bring up Kostistyn!!

Old
10-29-2006, 09:12 PM
kernkraft

vCash: 500
Bring up Kostistyn!!

Now that we might have fixed the problem of getting a big center, it seems that the lines are looking pretty good. It's just a matter of moving around two/three guys and there's really an open spot for Kosty on the big club and NOT on the fourth line.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Kovalev-Perezhogin
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Johnson
Begin/Downey-Bonk-Latendresse

If I remember correctly, Johnson and Plekanec had a hell of a time during the pre-season. Also, Kosty is a sniper and he needs someone to pass him the puck which is exactly what Plekanec is. Apart from that, the fourth line is pretty good too but it seems now that we really only need one tough/energy guy on the team, so Downey is an option and Murray is a scratch.

Am I wrong? I say it's about time we bring up Andrei.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:13 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Now that we might have fixed the problem of getting a big center, it seems that the lines are looking pretty good. It's just a matter of moving around two/three guys and there's really an open spot for Kosty on the big club and NOT on the fourth line.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

If I remember correctly, Johnson and Plekanec had a hell of a time during the pre-season. Also, Kosty is a sniper and he needs someone to pass him the puck which is exactly what Plekanec is. Apart from that, the fourth line is pretty good too but it seems now that we really only need one tough/energy guy on the team, so Downey is an option and Murray is a scratch.

There is absolutly no reason to break up Johnsson an Bonk. THey are probebly our most consistant duo.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
There is absolutly no reason to break up Johnsson an Bonk. THey are probebly our most consistant duo.
I don't know about that. Plekanec was really good in the preseason with Johnson, maybe he could be just as good as Bonk. Also, Bonk on the fourth would put Begin on the wing and hopefully get him going!

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:16 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

I know everyone wants kost in MTL but what has he done in Hamilton this year to be called up. Lapierre would be the guy being called up if needed. And with the way Murray has being playing it might not be a bad thing to do. I'm sure Lapierre can play RW.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:18 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
I agree. Not points wise but they both show up every night. It's good to finally have a real third line. They're making a good duo on the pk . There aren't much open spots on our lineup. The first one, I'd call up right now is Lapierre. Murray isn't playin' like last year and Downey isn't that much of an asset either. Anyways, if anyone gets injured the first one who'll be called up will be Kostitsyn.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

If I remember correctly, Johnson and Plekanec had a hell of a time during the pre-so Downey is an option and Murray is a scratch.

season. Also, Kosty is a sniper and he needs someone to pass him the puck which is exactly what Plekanec is. Apart from that, the fourth line is pretty good too but it seems now that we really only need one tough/energy guy on the team,
Why are we seeing all these Call Up Kostitsyn posts?
The guy only has 3 assists in the AHL in 6 games and has been hurting physically with a bad back.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sthabs

I don t hink we can say we have that 2nd line yet, they re not prooven yet but I sure hope that s the one

And the 4th line sux right now...

Here s my lines with Kost in

21-11-73
Samso-Kovy-Perez
Johnson-Bonk-Lats
Begin-Pleks-Kost

Taking pressure of Plek will do him some good, And I m sure he ll still have about 15min of ice time

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:24 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
I don t hink we can say we have that 2nd line yet, they re not prooven yet but I sure hope that s the one

And the 4th line sux right now...

Here s my lines with Kost in

21-11-73
Samso-Kovy-Perez
Johnson-Bonk-Lats
Begin-Pleks-Kost

Taking pressure of Plek will do him some good, And I m sure he ll still have about 15min of ice time
Although the bottom line looks good at first glance, I feel as if its imperative that we have another grinder on the 4th. We lack a lot of grit and in our roster, only Murray and Downie can bring to the table

Old
10-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Sthabs

Problem is Murrays s far, really far from his game of last year,he sux right now
I believe he s kind of the problem on that line. Begin can not play his style while being the C, Last year Murray would ve been a decent center, now it s not an option anymore
And he doesn t fight nor Hit. He might once in a while but it s just not his style....I mean he s not scaring anyone out there
Lapierre might be a better option if Kost s hurt....

There s still little (maybe too little) hope that it can work with Begin on the wing, Plek s a good center and a goodworker too, Kost I believe will have to improve this area of the game too, a bit like Perez is doing now.
Maybe doing these adjustments can help that 4th line and still having I think better lines

That said I dont think he ll be called up, but I sure would like him to be
Another good thing is that, when we ll get injuries, he s already gonna be here, then you could put him directly in the missing spot and still bring back murray or Lapierre/Ferland

edit 2 : Maybe by just putting Plek at c and begin on the wing , Murray can find his game back ? big maybe

Last edited by Sthabs: 10-29-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Slick Nick

IMO the Bonk-Johnson duo is overhyped... after Zhogy got demoted/promoted this line has struggled a lot (exept for a few shifts when Samy played with them... but overall they were not as good defensively as they were before Zhogy got off that line). As some posters pointed out Johnson had very good chemistry with Plekanec in pre-season. I saw all home games, and they were indeed very good together. At the same time, Bégin has a tough start and Plekanec isin't exactly a fourth line player and I don't see him helping that line.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

We need more grit, people! Not more skaters!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:32 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
We need more grit, people! Not more skaters!
Yeah, tell that to the Buffalo Sabres.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:32 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
IMO the Bonk-Johnson duo is overhyped... after Zhogy got demoted/promoted this line has struggled a lot (exept for a few shifts when Samy played with them... but overall they were not as good defensively as they were before Zhogy got off that line). As some posters pointed out Johnson had very good chemistry with Plekanec in pre-season. I saw all home games, and they were indeed very good together. At the same time, Bégin has a tough start and Plekanec isin't exactly a fourth line player and I don't see him helping that line.
The reason you see this is because when it is not Samsonov or Perezhogin with Bonk and Johnson it is Latendresse. Latendresse does not bring the speed that the Russians (Kazak) bring. Latendresse is a young kid and needs to be nurtured, that said I just am not sure he is responsible enough to play on that line.

As for Kostitsyn he will get a chance this year, there will be injuries and trades roster spots will open.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
The reason you see this is because when it is not Samsonov or Perezhogin with Bonk and Johnson it is Latendresse. Latendresse does not bring the speed that the Russians (Kazak) bring. Latendresse is a young kid and needs to be nurtured, that said I just am not sure he is responsible enough to play on that line.

As for Kostitsyn he will get a chance this year, there will be injuries and trades roster spots will open.
I don't care about Kostitsyn. I've never been a big fan.. and I would not mind if Lapierre or Ferland took the 3rd LW spot. I simply think that the only way we get solid 3rd and 4th lines is by by reuniting Bonk/Bégin and Plekanec/Johnson. Most people suggest a good/very good third line with an horrible 4th line... and I don't think the Bonk-Johnson supposed great duo is enough of a factor to have an horrible fourth line.

Old
10-29-2006, 11:46 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Geez. Firstly, the guy's injured. Secondly, how many rookies do we need on that fourth line? One rookie making mistakes is bad enough, but having two is murder for the other player (Begin likely).

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Geez. Firstly, the guy's injured. Secondly, how many rookies do we need on that fourth line? One rookie making mistakes is bad enough, but having two is murder for the other player (Begin likely).
Murray makes a ton of mistakes.. and isin't really a great veteran neither. What does he bring to this team?

Old
10-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

I dont know how we can say that the 2nd line center issue is resolved. We haven't even seen this line for one full game.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Traitor8

I'd go with

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Kostitsyn-Bonk-Johnson
Begin-Plekanec-Latendresse

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
I agree with bringing him up. We are not scoring many goals even strength as lately I'm finding that most of our goals on our the PP (and hence our great PP ranking). Kots would bring some offensive touch to our 3rd or 4th line. Also, I know he's not tearing it up in the AHL but again like last year, he's one of those players that plays better in the NHL than in the AHL.

I still feel he would've still been a much, much better person to have on the team instead of Lats but I'll focus on Kots here in this thread.

Tatay Farlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:56 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8 View Post
I'd go with

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Kostitsyn-Bonk-Johnson
I would definitely do this, or whenever Kosts gets called up...playing with Bonk and Johnson would be very smart 'cause they're both defensive/offensive veterans who are playing smart/good hockey these days, and Kosts will add lots of speed, skills to that line + I wanna see Kosts use that boomer of a shot (probably the best shot on Habs).

And, Latendresse playing with speedy, crafty, offensive/defensive Pleks will be good for him, I hope, gulp!! (also...Bonk and Johnson would be good too for Latendresse, I hope!!).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 02:39 AM
bayrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8 View Post
I'd go with

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Kostitsyn-Bonk-Johnson
Yup.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 04:14 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Geez. Firstly, the guy's injured.
Well, he was. He is better now. The way he has been skating and forechecking, as well as carrying his opponents on his back while protecting the puck suggest his back, as of now, isn't a concern. Fitness levels after missing a few games, I don't know about. I don't know how much training he could do while missing games but during the 3rd period of his 2nd game in 2 nights, he was a lot quieter than early in the game where he was getting stuck in. Hopefully that'll be solved by the time the next set of back to back games are played.

As for people wanting him up right now for his offensive skills, well, you might be disappointed. He has been carrying the puck well (apart from 2 mistakes I can think of), his passing has good most of the time and he has been setting his teammates up for some quality chances. Sadly, on a few of those chances, he could have taken them himself, but chose to pass instead. So far this season, he shoots occassionally, not often and confidently like a sniper would when in form. I'm not sure if he is worried about missing the net or people thinking him selfish if he takes on a chance without looking to his teammates, but so far this season, he has been a play maker far more than he has been a sniper.

I think its not the right time to bring him up. Hopefully Lever gives him a license to shoot at every opportunity (which from some of his pre-game comments, for the PP at least, he has) and Kost takes the opportunity. Playing with Grabs a little more will help and if the Grabs-Lappy-Kost line stays in tact, they will have success at both ends of the rink. All three guys can carry the puck end to end (in the AHL at least), Lappy and Kost can scrap along the boards for it (even Grabs was giving it a go on Saturday), they can all pass and all shoot. With such a diverse set of talents through the line, the other guys can take the puck and draw attention to them while Kost finds the empty space or drives to the net. If Kost can show the same determination in front of the net as he has with his skating and puck protection lately, he'll get it going soon. But as for right now, Montreal is not the place for him. He needs that confidence to shoot right now as thats the main thing missing from his game. Hopefully once he does turn it round (and I expect he will), someone in Montreal will be able to find a place for him, even if only for a few games before returning him to Hamilton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
+ I wanna see Kosts use that boomer of a shot (probably the best shot on Habs).
Don't we all. As for best shot on the Habs, depends what you are looking for. I think Souray has the most powerful but Kost has a better release. Kovalev has a good mix of both those abilities and Markov has proven in the past he can fire the puck well. At least in terms of slap shots.

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 10-30-2006 at 04:19 AM.
Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:23 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Honestly, where do people come up with this stuff?

What is Andrei doing in Hamilton that is worthy of him being called up to replace anyone?? His production in AHL is going to have to get a lot more consistant before he gets a serious look on any line.

Then there's the move at centre. Bonk and Johnson shouldn't be touched. They've been great thus far. I think we may see Lats with these guys for a few games. Who knows? Maybe Bonk and Lats can rekindle some of that chemistry they've shown in the last two preseasons.

People are over-thinking the lines. The result is trying to fix problems that don't exist.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:28 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Why are we seeing all these Call Up Kostitsyn posts?
The guy only has 3 assists in the AHL in 6 games and has been hurting physically with a bad back.
because some people think that Andrei Kostitsyn is way more motivated when he play in the NHL then in the AHL

or that is style of play is more fit for the NHL

Habs Prospects website

Last edited by habsprospects: 10-30-2006 at 06:36 AM.
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:41 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Murray makes a ton of mistakes.. and isin't really a great veteran neither. What does he bring to this team?
Exactly. At least Downey brings potatoes. Stupid non-farming Murray.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote