HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Quarter season MVP?

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2003, 06:35 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quarter season MVP?

Well who do you guys think is the Quarter season MVP so far this year? My vote would go to either Brewer or Salo...........

Seriously though, I think that if not for injury, it would have been Marty Reasoner. I mean this guy was our best centerman night in and night out, and had been one of the few guys to show up on the road too. To me it's tough not to pick him, but when you've missed the % of games he has I don't think he should be eligable. So I'll pick it as a five-way tie between Moreau, Dvorak, York, Staios, or Torres.

I don't think it could possibly be anybody not included in those five, so who do you gusy think it is?

I guess I can't help but think it is Dvorak. HERE ME OUT!!!! He has probably been our best penalty killer since Reasoner went down. He doesn't hesitate to block shots, and he's MORE then willing to sacrifice his body (unlike York sometimes). He is our best two-way/complete forward (unless Moreau keeps on scoring).

My second place goes to Moreau, who has been pretty much a carbon copy of what Dvorak has been, but with less offensive flare but more hard work and physical play. Could he, too, be a late bloomer and emerge as a 20-25 goal scorer?

Old
11-24-2003, 07:03 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Well who do you guys think is the Quarter season MVP so far this year? My vote would go to either Brewer or Salo...........

Seriously though, I think that if not for injury, it would have been Marty Reasoner. I mean this guy was our best centerman night in and night out, and had been one of the few guys to show up on the road too. To me it's tough not to pick him, but when you've missed the % of games he has I don't think he should be eligable. So I'll pick it as a five-way tie between Moreau, Dvorak, York, Staios, or Torres.

I don't think it could possibly be anybody not included in those five, so who do you gusy think it is?

I guess I can't help but think it is Dvorak. HERE ME OUT!!!! He has probably been our best penalty killer since Reasoner went down. He doesn't hesitate to block shots, and he's MORE then willing to sacrifice his body (unlike York sometimes). He is our best two-way/complete forward (unless Moreau keeps on scoring).

My second place goes to Moreau, who has been pretty much a carbon copy of what Dvorak has been, but with less offensive flare but more hard work and physical play. Could he, too, be a late bloomer and emerge as a 20-25 goal scorer?
I'd go with York, with Staios a close 2nd.

York finally looks healthy again, and his numbers (especially the +/-) reflect that. It frustrates me to no end when I ponder what could have been if we'd have had THIS York against Dallas last year, instead of the pale imitation that could barely shoot the puck.

Staios merits consideration as well, for obvious reasons:

-Leads the team in minutes played, leads the Dmen in points. In the last 5 minutes of a close game, you can be sure that the Smith/Staios combo will be in the thick of it.

-Seems to be much more of a leader on this team, he gives his all every night.

-IMO he's the Oilers' most well-rounded dman...he does a little bit of everything.

Moreau as a 20-25 goal scorer? Wishful thinking I'm afraid. 15-17 goals seems to be his limit considering his linemates. He does this every year, teasing us with his production when for a brief moment in time his shot (and he does have a hard one) actually finds the net. Unfortunately reality sets in, and his shots start going 5 feet wide again. He could MAYBE hit and even surpass the 20 goal plateau, but he'd need someone like Weight or Oates as his center. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:08 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I'd go with York, with Staios a close 2nd.

York finally looks healthy again, and his numbers (especially the +/-) reflect that. It frustrates me to no end when I ponder what could have been if we'd have had THIS York against Dallas last year, instead of the pale imitation that could barely shoot the puck.

Staios merits consideration as well, for obvious reasons:

-Leads the team in minutes played, leads the Dmen in points. In the last 5 minutes of a close game, you can be sure that the Smith/Staios combo will be in the thick of it.

-Seems to be much more of a leader on this team, he gives his all every night.

-IMO he's the Oilers' most well-rounded dman...he does a little bit of everything.

Moreau as a 20-25 goal scorer? Wishful thinking I'm afraid. 15-17 goals seems to be his limit considering his linemates. He does this every year, teasing us with his production when for a brief moment in time his shot (and he does have a hard one) actually finds the net. Unfortunately reality sets in, and his shots start going 5 feet wide again. He could MAYBE hit and even surpass the 20 goal plateau, but he'd need someone like Weight or Oates as his center. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Lots of crusher type guys break out late in their career.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:16 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Lots of crusher type guys break out late in their career.
For every crusher that becomes a rusher, 10 of them stay crushers.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:44 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
For every crusher that becomes a rusher, 10 of them stay crushers.

Old
11-24-2003, 08:30 AM
USC Trojans
AD

I'd say Ethan Moreau has been consistently our most valuable player. A close second would be Steve Staios, and third would be Mike York. York had caught fire lately, but Moreau has played well and scored some timely goals the entire season.

Old
11-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
York

Old
11-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Rafters

Where would the Oil be without the great play of # 1 Ty Conklin????????

Old
11-24-2003, 10:00 AM
dem

York or Torres

Old
11-24-2003, 10:29 AM
boxall9

Coin toss between Moreau and Staios.

Old
11-24-2003, 08:08 PM
GorillazXL

i agree with Thome_23,26,22(??)...Dvorak has been our best player game in game out. He may not have had lady luck on his sid ewith all the post he's hit this year but watching this sniper block a slap shot when the oil has a 3-1 lead makes you think, man this guy really wants to win. I also agre with Moreau being the second, he's been teriffic. i had him written off as trade bait this year, but man what a warrior, and his offence out put makes it that much more sweeter.

GXL

Old
11-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Mizral

Steve Staios for me, York a close 2nd. Nobody on the team, in my mind, touches these guys.

Staios has been a stud on the blueline racking up huge minutes and putting up impressive numbers. By far and away the best blueliner on the Oilers. York has been, in my estimation, the best forward, too. An impressive +10 last I checked. Playing with some real fire. I bet he cracks 60 points this year, maybe even challenge for 70.

Old
11-25-2003, 02:20 PM
Oiltown16

Dvorak
Moreau
York
Staios
Conklin

all candidates

Torres just misses the cut
Reasoner would have been if he had not gone down

Old
11-25-2003, 02:30 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
Dvorak
Moreau
York
Staios
Conklin

all candidates

Torres just misses the cut
Reasoner would have been if he had not gone down
100% agree. Hard to pick from those top 5, especially Staios, Moreau and York.

Old
11-25-2003, 02:34 PM
Lowetide

I'll say Conklin because he's not only played well, but played well when the Oilers had no real option if he failed.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Yorkiegirl161861

My vote would be for York, Torres or Conklin. Conklin's been doing great and holding things together really well.

Old
11-25-2003, 05:12 PM
hockeyaddict101

Tough call

You could pick almost any one of York, Staios, Moreau, and could make a case for any one of them.

I have to go with Staios, because he has been so good at both ends of the ice and has shown true leadership.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:21 PM
Walsher

York eaily! Currently the leader in points and is easily the best two way forward on the team. He has created (with Dvo and Raffi) so much offense it is incredible and he is a guarantee defensively. He was the best Oiler last year and will be this year.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:30 PM
woody

York - I was never a big fan of his as I thought that Lindros and Fleury carried him in New York before he came to Edmonton. Boy was I wrong

Closed Thread