HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Classic in Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2003, 07:01 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Classic in Montreal

I think next not next year, but the year after there should be a re-match of the Classic, but in Montreal. It'd be good for all the Habs fans to be able to go see. Then, we could take another year off from an outdoor game, and then the year after it would return back to Edmonton to play the Habs. To kind of get a rivalry going. I mean heck, that'd mean four years until the next game. I think it'd be good to have ATLEAST four years before anything like this happens again. Don't you guys think it'd be neat if every other year there was an out door game between us and the Habs and it switches who holds it each time?

Old
11-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I think next not next year, but the year after there should be a re-match of the Classic, but in Montreal. It'd be good for all the Habs fans to be able to go see. Then, we could take another year off from an outdoor game, and then the year after it would return back to Edmonton to play the Habs. To kind of get a rivalry going. I mean heck, that'd mean four years until the next game. I think it'd be good to have ATLEAST four years before anything like this happens again. Don't you guys think it'd be neat if every other year there was an out door game between us and the Habs and it switches who holds it each time?
Won't happen. The media (especially the English media) bashed the Heritage Classic all week long. What a bumch of jackass reporters we have here in Mtl. They kept saying things like over-hyped and cash grab. Of course it was a cash grab, but the Oilers MUST be as creative a s possible to break even every year!

It also gave back to the community. Gretzky in an Oiler uniform.

I wish these so called great reporters (And I mean you legendary Red Fischer and big bafoon Jack Tood), would do some homework before they write articles. Just because Edmonton is WEST of Toronto, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Pierre McGuire should smack some sense into these guys WHAMO!!!!

Old
11-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny08
Pierre McGuire should smack some sense into these guys WHAMO!!!!
Lay down the El Kabong on Red Fisher?

I LIKE it.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:00 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I really hope there are no more outdoor games, Yes Edmonton made money from the Heritage Classic, but they took a $4,000,000 risk. And there was a story line to it, there were starts there, it was planned perfectly. It had meaning.

I really hope this thing doesnt get duplicated. There may be a few instances where it can happen in other cities. Like a Battle of Alberta may work, NY vs NY in Central Park may work, but Effortless cash grabs with no storyline, no history, would sicken me. Like what's next, are we gonna see an Atlanta Thrashers vs. Nashville Predators in Elvis's basement?

The Heritage Classic was special, and every single time another game happens outside, it loses a little bit of mystique. And in 40 years I wanna tell my kids that I went to the Only Outdoor game in NHL reg. season history, cuz that sounds alot better than saying I went to the first one.

So, with a few exceptions, I dont think the outdoor thing should be repeated.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:31 PM
gb701

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
I really hope there are no more outdoor games, Yes Edmonton made money from the Heritage Classic, but they took a $4,000,000 risk. And there was a story line to it, there were starts there, it was planned perfectly. It had meaning.

I really hope this thing doesnt get duplicated. There may be a few instances where it can happen in other cities. Like a Battle of Alberta may work, NY vs NY in Central Park may work, but Effortless cash grabs with no storyline, no history, would sicken me. Like what's next, are we gonna see an Atlanta Thrashers vs. Nashville Predators in Elvis's basement?

The Heritage Classic was special, and every single time another game happens outside, it loses a little bit of mystique. And in 40 years I wanna tell my kids that I went to the Only Outdoor game in NHL reg. season history, cuz that sounds alot better than saying I went to the first one.

So, with a few exceptions, I dont think the outdoor thing should be repeated.
I agree with every word. But it will happen again, if only because it worked so well.

I predict Montreal-Toronto for history's sake.

Closed Thread