HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Monteal Rated 6th in organizational prospect ranking!!

Old
10-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Monteal Rated 6th in organizational prospect ranking!!

This just proves that despite drafting for need we have been doing excellent job spotting great talent, time to congratulate our scouts on finding great talent year after year!!

I'd also like give kudos to Gainey for not panicking and also for having patience in our prospects!!

Link:
http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9171

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Hotstreak

Although I agree that we've done a good job in drafting recently, we have to remember that these rankings are just someones opinion and mean nothing.

Hotstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
we were second last year, I think.

Plekanec, Higgins and Perezhogin graduated, though.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
we were second last year, I think.

Plekanec, Higgins and Perezhogin graduated, though.
Actually, we were 5th.

Due to this ranking, the main board will explode, I'll bet vcash on it.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:22 PM
As the Glorious Weep

So who's *** were those rankings pulled out of?

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Toro

Pretty accurate, although they still list many players as prospect that play in the NHL, so it is not as up to date as it says.

Penner,Lats,etc.

We do have i believe one ofthe top pools of talent in our stables. They did not mention the D we had before the last draft. Obyrne and emelin are 2 that stand out. We really have little weakness at any position in our youngsters. The next drafts we will be able to just take the best player available.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Seeing who's ahead of us, its reasonable.

Pittsburgh(Malkin, Staal, Welch)
LA(Kopitar, O'Sullivan, Johnson, Bernier)
Chicago(Barker, Toews, Bolland)
Washington(Semin, Green, Backstrom)
Columbus(Brule, Brassard, Leclaire)

And we managed to stay ahead of Minnesota and Anaheim

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:08 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Huzzah, we are no. 6 on a random list! This must proves that Gainey is God!

Seriously though, shouldn't we be drafting the players on the team that came from our system instead of putting educated guesses on players that are years away from acutally having an impact?

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Habs4ever

it atleast validates the fact that

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB View Post

Seriously though, shouldn't we be drafting the players on the team that came from our system instead of putting educated guesses on players that are years away from acutally having an impact?
our management is making right choices.

Our management has been drafting for need the last few years but despite that we'r still getting very good prospects, and I really like that our management is looking forward and they seem to have better clue then other GM's...

Just imagine how leaf fans are feeling, every year they either trade their picks or prospects for quick fix, but Gainey is using opposite approach, and he actually wants to buil;d long term winner rather then one year wonder!!

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Pascal

I've loved the last drafts. I'd still love to have Kopitar on that 2nd line tho.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:32 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:

don't underestimate the importance for amateurs scouting and the job that people here on HF do... I think they are doing a great job and give us something to hope for

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:31 PM
JFB

Imagine if we had picked Brule instead of Price

JFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:36 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Although this is pure opinion, when it comes to prospects what isn't opinion.
I am proud of Bob and co.'s decision making and drafting in renent years. All this does is prove that Canadiens fans have a reason to stick our chests out.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Montrealer

I love how people are more than happy to use a webboard maintained by Hockey's Future, but are also more than happy to crap all over HF articles.

That's kind of like going (repeatedly) into Krispy Kreme, eating the free donut, and then moaning about how horrible it is to everyone in earshot.

Montrealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:42 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
I love how people are more than happy to use a webboard maintained by Hockey's Future, but are also more than happy to crap all over HF articles.

That's kind of like going (repeatedly) into Krispy Kreme, eating the free donut, and then moaning about how horrible it is to everyone in earshot.
lol I used to do that. I'd go into Krispy Kreme, get the free donut, and be reminded why I never actually buy them.

They promptly went out of business here... In town for less than a year.

I have no opinion about HF articles, though. They seem well articulated, but that's as much as I'm willing to say.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:22 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post

First of all, Hockey's Future is a business who make money off of this board: they're not in it because of generosity.

Second of all, who writes this stuff, who's opinions are they? Why should I respect writers that hide behind the moniker of "HF STAFF". If they want respect, have them write out the name of every contributor so that I know in 5 years who to congratulate or who to claim doesn't know anything about hockey.

Third of all, those rankings sound more like a popularity and/or hype contest to me than anything else. If they are not a popularity contest, then please explain the systematic approach used to calculate those ratings.

Fourth of all, free speech.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Habsfan18

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 09:24 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
They provide a rationale for the rankings. I enjoy reading the articles.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 09:54 AM
AH

Do the rankings honestly matter?

At least most Habs fans learn to take these things in stride. We have been up there for so many years now that we take it for granted.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:08 AM
mcphee

Quote:

Weeb, I'm not trying to be a smartass here but I don't understand what you mean.

How can you 'draft' players from your system ? Do you mean 'rating' minor pros as opposed to amateurs ? If the 2 words are just mixed, yeah, I can agree, rating guys on the farm or minor pros is differnt than rating a Maxwell who may be a revelation, or may be a solid scorer in the SEL.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:11 AM
oop007*

The reason for this in my opinion.

A) Yann Danis is an NHL calibre goalie who can perform.
B) Carey Price is getting really close to being able to play at an NHL level and looks like a solid goaltender. Looks like he "COULD" be the next Patrick Roy for us.
C) Kostitsyn was picked 10th over all, imo he should've been picked higher but due to "epilepsy" which he doesn't even have, was picked lower. (And Kosty never had a seizure on the ice)
D) Chipchura could be a decent forward in the semi-near future.

E T C

Nuff said, Habs have great management since Gainey came.

Glad Claude Julien is gone.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:13 AM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Do the rankings honestly matter?

At least most Habs fans learn to take these things in stride. We have been up there for so many years now that we take it for granted.
One thing habs fans have learned most over the years. Don't take it for granted that your getting the good deal out of a trade (cause chances are if it's the habs... (especially pre Gainey) the trade is going to be better for the other team). Another thing we've all learned is to not trust anything about what people say about the "up and coming" superstars. *Cough*Daigle*Cough*(yes I know, that's Ottawa but we've drafted people who were crap before also and they were sposed to be good).

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:20 AM
terreur

In general, I would like to thank Timmins, Gainey, Savard and all the scouts for their great work! I love our future, I'm pretty confident!

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by As the Glorious Weep View Post
First of all, Hockey's Future is a business who make money off of this board: they're not in it because of generosity.
Obviously.

Quote:
Second of all, who writes this stuff, who's opinions are they? Why should I respect writers that hide behind the moniker of "HF STAFF". If they want respect, have them write out the name of every contributor so that I know in 5 years who to congratulate or who to claim doesn't know anything about hockey.
They decide to publish their work under a common moniker, but the contributors are clearly noted on all team pages, are they not?

Quote:
Third of all, those rankings sound more like a popularity and/or hype contest to me than anything else. If they are not a popularity contest, then please explain the systematic approach used to calculate those ratings.
Oh come on. You're acting as if all rankings need to be rooted in some sort of calculated formula independent of anyone's opinion, which is IMHO practically impossible to do. It's not even desirable to do; the most hilarious rankings are usually due to someone trying to apply a strict formula to perform the ranking and not bothering to fix it where the formula fails (or using a formula that ends up with an awful bias).

Essentially, you're dismissing all rankings as worthless. That's fine, but don't single out HF as if they're the only ones doing it.

Quote:
Fourth of all, free speech.
Ok... I don't recall telling you to shut up or anything. I simply made an observation. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to comment on your opinion. Free speech, surprisingly enough, works both ways.

Montrealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:00 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
Just imagine how leaf fans are feeling, every year they either trade their picks or prospects for quick fix, but Gainey is using opposite approach, and he actually wants to buil;d long term winner rather then one year wonder!!
Err, unless I have been living under a rock, they are actually doing much better with their farm system (no matter what you think of the Raycroft/Rask deal, besides, he ain't that old so I'll leave judgement tell later). They had absolutely nothing, trading all their picks for old geezers that play at most 1 season, and all of a sudden this stops and there's prospects in their system again. And out pops Wellwood and Steen as well as Pogge, Earl and Williams in the wings. Considering the apocalyptic hell that was their farm system, I would say they are moving rather rapidly in the right direction. I still agree with HF's review of the Leafs prospects but given enough years and a continual building of their farm system, they will most likely be respectable again in some time. Yes, our system is hands down better than theirs but to say they are still making all those dumb moves is just wrong. Besides, even with their crappy picks, they seem to pick a lot of good players considering. Personally if I was a Leafs fan I think I could hope to be hopeful again after waaaay too many years of moronic management screw ups.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote