Notices

tanguay question

Old
10-30-2006, 12:17 AM
fourofakindfowl

vCash: 500
tanguay question

how does he look?
he hasnt put up many points but is he playing well? i would think its only a matter of time until he starts producing

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 12:29 AM
abracanada

I agree. He is off and on, mostly off but there have been flashes here and there. It is a matter of time.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:35 AM
oil4life14

Tanguay was riding Sakics coatails in Colorado. He doesn't have that luxury in Cowtown.

oil4life14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Andre Boudrias
The Canucks Are Back

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil4life94 View Post
Tanguay was riding Sakics coatails in Colorado. He doesn't have that luxury in Cowtown.
I agree..Tanguay really needs to work hard here in calgary. I remember seing Avs games last year. He always used to be on or off, but since you are playing with sakic, you know that you will get the puck a lot.

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 02:55 PM
northernKing

Quote:

I couldn't disagree more! He has been at the top of the NHL in ES points the last couple of seasons and is a top line talent on his own merits.
IMO he needs to play center as alot of his production in the past has come from him carrying the puck over the blueline.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Danny__K

Quote:
thanks oilerfan who doesn't have a clue.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 04:37 PM
weezman

Send a message via AIM to weezman
Quote:
He actually spent most of last season on a line with Laperriere and MacLean. Tanguay's issues aren't related to the reason you say.

weezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Phaneuf333

Its not going to be very long until he puts big numbers up

Phaneuf333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 09:53 PM
NoamHemsky

I don't understand why they don't move him to centre on the Iginla line?

Do you think Playfair would ever consider that?

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 12:06 AM
haQ Loob

I hope Playfair does consider Tanguay to centre that line. Tanguay's ability to play centre was Sutter's justification for bringing in a high priced winger when we needed a setup man centre for Iggy.

And as long as he's mucking around with lines, how about giving Taratukhin a shot while Yelle's out?

I have no idea what to do about defense. I don't think the problem is a lack of smart and skilled players. They just don't seem to be playing any sort of consistent system.

I miss Sutter. I miss Yelle. And I miss winning.

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:05 AM
therealdeal

Quote:
Negative, he has been getting a higher PPG than Sakic for the last 2 years, the problem in Calgary is the coaching.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Andre Boudrias
The Canucks Are Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Negative, he has been getting a higher PPG than Sakic for the last 2 years, the problem in Calgary is the coaching.
sakic is a playmaker. The coaching is a problem as well.

Old
11-01-2006, 03:38 PM
DXFlyers

I read on another message board he is not happy in Calgary, any truth to that up there?

DXFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 05:31 PM
SChan*

Quote:

or Forsberg

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 05:56 PM
grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXFlyers View Post
I read on another message board he is not happy in Calgary, any truth to that up there?
I am sure he is not happy with how he or the team have started the year.

other then that I doubt he would be negative towards Calgary

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 09:12 PM
North Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezman View Post
He actually spent most of last season on a line with Laperriere and MacLean. Tanguay's issues aren't related to the reason you say.
Exactly. When Tanguay was playing in Colorado the opposing team would put the best defensive pairing and best checking line against Sakic's line. Tanguay got more freedom playing against the lesser defencemen.

Now that he's in Calgary, every opposing team knows if you contain Iginla the Flames will lose.

North Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 09:38 PM
CalgaryFan1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy View Post
Exactly. When Tanguay was playing in Colorado the opposing team would put the best defensive pairing and best checking line against Sakic's line. Tanguay got more freedom playing against the lesser defencemen.

Now that he's in Calgary, every opposing team knows if you contain Iginla the Flames will lose.
Tanguay isnt even playing on Iginla's line? tanguay has been, for the most part,, invisible on the second line playing with Lombardi and Kobasew

CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:11 PM
PapaBear*

I smell another Chris Drury scenario. Tanguay is badly being misused here. 5mill to NOT play with iginla?

PapaBear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:14 PM
abracanada

I thought he played better tonight. I know he drew a penalty at a terrible time, but overall, his play was better.

He is squeezing the stick man. He will have to work his way out of the pressure, and he will be the better player for it.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:34 PM
North Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Tanguay isnt even playing on Iginla's line? tanguay has been, for the most part,, invisible on the second line playing with Lombardi and Kobasew
I understand that. Tanguay was taken off the 1st line because of the lack of chemistry.

What I was trying to say in my earlier post is, it is easier to defend against Calgary's offensive threat than Colorado's offensive threat.

North Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Andre Boudrias
The Canucks Are Back

how much longer can tanguay play like this?? it would be alright of him, if they were paying 1.5 million a year.. but c'mon you sign a big 5 million contract you better score, or at least do something positive for the team to be successfull.

Old
11-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
I smell another Chris Drury scenario. Tanguay is badly being misused here. 5mill to NOT play with iginla?
He shouldn't be playing with Iginla. Hell, with the way he's been going, he shouldn't be playing at all.

Tangs has consistently been one of the laziest Flames on the ice this year, and given how hard most of them seem to be playing, that's saying something. I'm just about ready to get rid of the guy, and get someone who actually wants to play.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 12:21 AM
F A N

As a Canucks fan, I'm afraid that Tanguay will come around to scoring again. I do think it's only a matter of time. He might have a subpar season, but I don't see him sucking for 3 years.

F A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

He'll turn it around...he always does. The things that hold Tangs back from becoming that elite player are his fragile confidence and his amazing ability to get injured at the worst possible time. As for playing center, he never looked comfortable whenever the Avs put him there. I think Playfair should just keep him at wing--if he really finds his game, then maybe try him out.

As for riding Sakic/Hejduk/Forsberg's coattails, that's a misnomer. He played some of his best hockey last season playing left wing on a line with Brett McLean and Ian Laperriere. If anyone thinks he was riding coattails there, well, I imagine Alex'll sign your crack pipe if you ask him.

Tanguay's at his best when he uses his hands and size to his advantage, taking a page from Forsberg's book and working his way from the wall and toward the net, waiting until a defender has to commit and then making the pass. When he's on his game, he's very hard to knock off the puck. He was basically the only guy we had playing a real puck possession game.

I for one don't really miss him, though a lot of Avs fans do--he was definitely the #2 most beloved player here for years, despite his frustrating ways. I wish him well...except for the 8 times the Avs have to face him.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Steve L*

I read on a Flyer board that Tanguay wants out, this is from a Leafs fan who has contacts at the NHLPA. Hes come up big on Flyers inside info before so I thought Id pass it along.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote