Notices

Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 08:46 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

vCash: 500
Staios wasn't hurt, he was ejected for not having his sweater tied down. Brewer pulled his groin or something. It does give Semenov a chance to show his stuff though, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Quote:
To Anaheim: Comrie, Laraques

To Edmonton: Perry, 2nd, Smirnov, 5th
Brutal...be sure to lube up before giving it to Lowe.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

It's not that bad.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
It's not that bad.
no joke, heck if a 2nd and perry is good enough for comrie. then it shouldnt take that much for Laraque.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:09 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
It's not that bad.
Two quality players (Young star and one of the top enforcers in the league) for a couple B prospects and picks...all of whom could never become regular NHL'ers. Doesn't sound good to me, thats forsure. Maybe if this was a salary dump with guys about to become UFA's or something..

Old
11-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

It's not happening in a vacuum. You'll not get anywhere near fair value for Comrie due to his situation, and Laraque's been struggling all season.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:34 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
It's not happening in a vacuum. You'll not get anywhere near fair value for Comrie due to his situation, and Laraque's been struggling all season.
I know you won't get full value for Comrie, but if you're not getting a deal that helps your team, why do it? Especially dealing with a team that could knock you out of the playoffs every year.

- Comrie playing in the west hurts Edmonton unless you get good/pretty good value.
- Comrie sitting till he's a UFA or going to the East for this kind of deal doesn't help Edmonon, but doesn't hurt either.

PS: And Chistov has been struggling as well. Guess he's worth peanuts too?

Last edited by JJTopper: 11-26-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old
11-26-2003, 09:40 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Only the least charitable of analysts would look at Georges Laraque and Stanislav Chistov and pronounce their value the same. Don't be obtuse.

Comrie's not helping the Oilers right now, and his value is only going to drop. It's not like the Oilers are tearing up the league, in no need of help. The same conference argument is overrated: GMs take the best deal.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:45 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Only the least charitable of analysts would look at Georges Laraque and Stanislav Chistov and pronounce their value the same. Don't be obtuse.

Comrie's not helping the Oilers right now, and his value is only going to drop. It's not like the Oilers are tearing up the league, in no need of help. The same conference argument is overrated: GMs take the best deal.
I wasn't comparing their value, I was just saying because a good player struggles a little bit in the first 20 games of the season, it shouldn't lower their value to nothing.

If Edmonton needs help right now, how do prospects/picks help?

Old
11-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Enforcers don't hold much value to begin with, and Laraque goes through long stretches where he doesn't hit. That hurts a 4th liner's value a lot.

About the other, I meant that they can't use their place in the standings as an excuse to stand pat, plus they need to avoid a desperation deal for a roster player, who more than likely is already established - and we've agreed that you'll never get full value - so you're looking at a guy like McDonald for example, someone who can contribute but not replace Comrie. So your options are to downgrade your talent or make a deal that has potential.

I'd do the potential. The Oilers have a nice group of forwards and have an insurance policy at center for this season in Oates.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Too much, Die Hard.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:49 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Enforcers don't hold much value to begin with, and Laraque goes through long stretches where he doesn't hit. That hurts a 4th liner's value a lot.

About the other, I meant that they can't use their place in the standings as an excuse to stand pat, plus they need to avoid a desperation deal for a roster player, who more than likely is already established - and we've agreed that you'll never get full value - so you're looking at a guy like McDonald for example, someone who can contribute but not replace Comrie. So your options are to downgrade your talent or make a deal that has potential.

I'd do the potential. The Oilers have a nice group of forwards and have an insurance policy at center for this season in Oates.
If Worrell and a 2nd can land you Messier and Nedorost, I wouldn't mind seeing what Laraque and a pick could land.

Yes, you could settle for a downgrade in talent or prospects with good upside, but when we're talking a young star like Comrie, they have to be good prospects who are almost sure-fire NHL'ers with good upside and Perry/Smirnov are not that IMO. All you have to look at is the Niinimaa deal. Now he wasn't a young stud like Comrie when we traded him, but we brought back an underachieving power forward and a sure-fire NHLer type prospect who has since landed a full time job and is leading our team in goals. Thats how you do a risky deal involving top end talent...this isn't Pittsburgh. And it was with an Eastern team, so even if we ended up with two ok 3rd liners, it wasn't going to cost us a playoff spot. Not to mention adding a player like Laraque to a Comrie deal should atleast get you a player of pretty equel to Comrie.

Quote:
Remember than Comrie's salary is going to be something like 1.3-1.5M so it would actually mean a 1M drop in payroll for Ducks (though I suspect Ducks would have to eat part of Niedermayer's salary).
Actually, Comrie said he would sign for about 500,000. Even giving up fair value for Comrie (which Edmonton won't get), that is a bargin IMO!

Last edited by JJTopper: 11-26-2003 at 10:51 PM.
Old
11-27-2003, 08:40 AM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAsT
If Worrell and a 2nd can land you Messier and Nedorost, I wouldn't mind seeing what Laraque and a pick could land.
Pahlsson (Messier) and Smirnov (Nedorost) for Laraque and your 2nd in 2004. I'd do that deal in a heartbeat and I don't even really want Laraque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAsT
All you have to look at is the Niinimaa deal.
Huge difference between Niinimaa and Comrie... a signed contract.

Old
11-27-2003, 08:40 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
Pahlsson, Niedermayer, 1st for Comrie.

I actually don't want to give up Perry either.

thats giving way to much IMO, id rather see perry go, then Nieds. but has anybody noticed how invisible Nieds has gotten since he got taken off a line with federov? i think they should put him back with feds and chistov or andymac. thoughts?

oh and when ur reading this, is my avatar gone?

Old
11-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269
oh and when ur reading this, is my avatar gone?
Yes, I only see blank space.

Old
11-27-2003, 08:49 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Yes, I only see blank space.
does anybody know why?

and have some things changed when u reply or is it just me? like.. when i just wanna comment not any specif users comments, theres no more, post reply..? and my avatar is all of a sudden just gone?

Old
11-27-2003, 09:24 AM
Sam Beckett

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam Beckett
Quote:
does anybody know why?

and have some things changed when u reply or is it just me? like.. when i just wanna comment not any specif users comments, theres no more, post reply..? and my avatar is all of a sudden just gone?

If you go to the main index.. it looks as though they have gone back to an older version of the message board software.. maybe they are having some sort of problem..like they did during the draft..

Old
11-27-2003, 09:26 AM
Sam Beckett

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam Beckett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett
If you go to the main index.. it looks as though they have gone back to an older version of the message board software.. maybe they are having some sort of problem..like they did during the draft..

Yep.. here is the link to the explaination..
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=31341

Old
11-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

It will be interesting to see what Lowe will actually get for Comrie, as the latest news indicates he has had to lower his demands considerably. Frankly, if we are paying as much as some of these proposals ask for, I don't want Comrie. We can do fine without him.

Old
11-27-2003, 10:16 AM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
It will be interesting to see what Lowe will actually get for Comrie, as the latest news indicates he has had to lower his demands considerably. Frankly, if we are paying as much as some of these proposals ask for, I don't want Comrie. We can do fine without him.
One thing is for sure, if Comrie is to become a Mighty Ducks, it will be on our terms, not Edmonton. There is no urgent need for Comrie and I don't think Bryan Murray would give any blue chip.

Old
11-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
One thing is for sure, if Comrie is to become a Mighty Ducks, it will be on our terms, not Edmonton. There is no urgent need for Comrie and I don't think Bryan Murray would give any blue chip.
I am truly interested. If Chistov for some reason was on the block,& you could not/would not take on a bunch of salary, what would you guys like in return?.
How bout Mikinov & Oilers #2?.

Old
11-27-2003, 11:30 AM
Chayos

Quote:
no joke, heck if a 2nd and perry is good enough for comrie. then it shouldnt take that much for Laraque.
The problem is the 2nd and perry isn't enough to get Comrie. Laraque is tradable right now, but the market was set in the Worrel deal so unless we get a plyer of nedorost's caliber then Bg goes no where.

Old
11-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Pahlsson (Messier) and Smirnov (Nedorost) for Laraque and your 2nd in 2004. I'd do that deal in a heartbeat and I don't even really want Laraque.

Huge difference between Niinimaa and Comrie... a signed contract.
Pahlsson and Mesier are comparable but the oilers have no need for a player like Pahlsson right now. I am not sure on Smirnov's value but was he a 1st round pick, because Nedorost was. How about this one to make it a little easier to swallow from an oiler standpoint.

Perry For Laraque.

Straight up no picks or other players involved

Old
11-27-2003, 12:28 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
Pahlsson, Niedermayer, 1st for Comrie.

I actually don't want to give up Perry either.
This is way way way too much for Comrie. Murray might as well grab his ankles while he's at it.

Old
11-27-2003, 01:25 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
Pahlsson and Mesier are comparable but the oilers have no need for a player like Pahlsson right now. I am not sure on Smirnov's value but was he a 1st round pick, because Nedorost was. How about this one to make it a little easier to swallow from an oiler standpoint.

Perry For Laraque.

Straight up no picks or other players involved
Yes, lets trade the leading scorer in the OHL for a struggling enforcer. And you thought Perry and a second for Comrie was brutal.

You guys are seriously underrating Perry. The guy has been awesome in the OHL. He's definetely looking like he'll be a good player in the NHL.

But what has been the worst comment I've heard, is that Getzlaf is considered a B prospect, who according to Sammy, will not likely make the NHL. Yeah, the guy has been awesome in the Dub, both ways, he got a goal(a nice looking one too) and an assist last night against the Selects, he had a better WJC camp than Horton and Staal, combined(points and hits), and, above all else, he nearly made a fairly deep Ducks team this year. He wasn't signed because of the new CBA, and because of the fact that they'd like to see him develop more in the Dub. Yeah, he's a grade B prospect who will never likely see NHL ice.

Old
11-27-2003, 01:55 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
Yes, lets trade the leading scorer in the OHL for a struggling enforcer. And you thought Perry and a second for Comrie was brutal.

You guys are seriously underrating Perry. The guy has been awesome in the OHL. He's definetely looking like he'll be a good player in the NHL.

But what has been the worst comment I've heard, is that Getzlaf is considered a B prospect, who according to Sammy, will not likely make the NHL. Yeah, the guy has been awesome in the Dub, both ways, he got a goal(a nice looking one too) and an assist last night against the Selects, he had a better WJC camp than Horton and Staal, combined(points and hits), and, above all else, he nearly made a fairly deep Ducks team this year. He wasn't signed because of the new CBA, and because of the fact that they'd like to see him develop more in the Dub. Yeah, he's a grade B prospect who will never likely see NHL ice.
It's not that brutal we would not have too hard of a time getting a 2nd+3rd pick -or- 2 2nd's for Laraque. You paid exactly 2 2nd picks for Perry just a few months ago but the fact that Perry has been playing above expectations increases his trade value and Laraque playing poorly decreases his trade value but both have occured in a rather short time frame so niether should drift too far away from their previous values it just further highlights the difference(which isn't overly great add a 3rd pick from EDM and it's fair). Scoring lead a third of the way through the season in the OHL is not that big of a deal it's not the toughest of leagues and the season is not yet done he could go into a scoring slump or someone could beat him out.

We have a player named Peter Sarno who finished with the scoring lead twice in the OHL and will be lucky if he ever becomes anything better than a 4th liner PETER SARNO BIO. If he had a scoring lead in the AHL or the Russian Super League I would be impressed but it's too early to say with any certainty if he will make the NHL. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him but he's no blue chip prospect or a "sure thing" to make an impact in the NHL.

Closed Thread