HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Milroy article

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 09:55 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Milroy article

http://www.theahl.com/AHLOnTheBeat03/1124.html

Old
11-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Hmmm... the only point that caught my interest in the article was when they mentioned that he's a 'quick healer.' I guess that's a good sign.

Thanks for the article, Dan.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Guy!

While many Hab fans might be alarmed, or pessimistic, about the situation in which Milroy now finds himself, I would suggest that it's all part of the maturing and learning phase that many hockey players have to go through. The fact he's having trouble cracking the lineup should in no way cause Hab lovers to consider him done and washed up as a prospect for this club; particularly since coming back from injury takes time.

In fact, I seem to recall a Mr. Ryder having serious troubles making the starting lineup early last year with those same Bulldogs. Now, you can argue that it was a much more talented lineup since it had both the Hab and Oil prospects, but I counter that this year we have some Tampa boys and as such, our record is remarkably similar to where it was last year. Cracking the lineup *is* going to be tough when things are going that well.

Patience is the catch-word he, and we as fans, have to use. Ryder was brought along slowly and has subsequently made the NHL and since Milroy's work ethic is in the same mould as that of Ryder, then I see no reason for panic at this point. Jarvis will slowly work him into the lineup, I'm sure, and once there he'll show through his hard work that he belongs and is worthy of being named a solid prospect.

A concerned fan.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:23 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
I was obviously not wrong when I said some months ago that I was wondering if Milroy could even crack the Bulldogs line-up..

Milroy did really not develop well, I never been impressed by him!

Don't pat yourself on the back too much there. Whats so hard to understand that he had an injury, missed a lot of time, then found it hard to get into the lineup of the top team in the AHL. With Balej and Perezhogin getting top ice time (and they should) it's safe to say he was going to have a hard time getting ice time. Then add a top prospect like Somerveri, and then Ferland at RW as well, it's not hard to see ice time will be hard to come by.

So your not impressed by him big deal.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:34 AM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
i feel really bad for milroy because he is what we need in the ranks among prospects, really tough kids who have no fear to play a mans game and can put the puck in the net too. i just hope he gets some ice time so he can develop because he may be another ryder with a greater ability to carry a team.

i guess i am just bias to the hard nosed lunchbox type of hockey players as compared to the finess style player.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:35 AM
SHUDO

Quote:
I was obviously not wrong when I said some months ago that I was wondering if Milroy could even crack the Bulldogs line-up..

Are we gonna have to listen to whine and complain about Milory Like you have with Ryder for the past couple of years? It's gonna be a good day when we can tell you your wrong about Milroy like you were about Ryder. you would think that you would've learnt your lesson by now.

You have absolutely no credibility on these boards. So why do you even bother?

Old
11-25-2003, 11:10 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
That's why he is now rated at 6!

He's rated a 6, cause his development will be hindered, IMO. I lowered his ranking, cause I feel he is in the same situation as Josef Balej was last year. NO I am not comparing the two players! But Balej as a 1st year pro had an injury early on, missed some time, then struggled to crack a deep roster. Milroy although he didn't miss as much time, and he doesn't play on as deep a roster, but with the way things look, Milroy will have a tough time getting quality ice time. That's what happens when you have a guy like Balej playing very well, a top prosepct like Perezhogin, a top prospect like Somerveri (who didn't look very good to me, but I think he have to give him a certain amount of ice time), and a solid prospect in Ferland.

Lowering him to a 6 is not a big deal, it doesn't mean anything. I think he will be a major part of the Bulldogs team next year, but this year I don't expect much. He's highly skilled, but I find it annoying that you jump at any chance to tell us how smart you think you are.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
You are a no name for me.. But it's already a better status than some other posters here!

, you shouldn't insult yourself.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:43 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
That's where I desagree... Milroy is'nt highly skilled!! Skilled for Junior yes, that's it! He does have a great accurate wrist shot but does'nt have half of Balej' skills! He was lucky to play along with great linemates like Marek Svatos!
Duncan Milroy has a good ice-vision, knows where to position himself and has a very good hard and accurate wrist shot. He doesn't shy away from physical contact either. He's also a clutch player. He has a bit of an attitude problem (not unlike Hainsey) but in time this should be taken care of. He still has plenty of time to develop and at this stage it's much too early to diss him.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
That's where I desagree... Milroy is'nt highly skilled!! Skilled for Junior yes, that's it! He does have a great accurate wrist shot but does'nt have half of Balej' skills! He was lucky to play along with great linemates like Marek Svatos and Plihal!
The only thing you can say Balej has over Milroy is world-class speed. While Balej struggled with injuries in his development, Milroy's developement looked slow in his last two junior years.

Milroy is not afraid of the rough areas while Balej has a nose for the net, they have nearly the same size, shot quality and physical play. While Milroy is solid in all three zones and a clutch playoff performer something balej is not, Balej has world-class speed that would make him a better fit for a scoring line while Milroy display the all-around game to be an important 3rd liner in the future. They are pretty similar prospects in term of quality but both are destined to different roles if they make it to the NHL. Only time will tell how the two will develop.

Old
11-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I wouldn't give up on this kid, not by a longshot. A lot of youngsters struggle their first year in the pros. A few recent examples would be Michael Ryder or Balej. Milroy has high-end hockey sense and above average talent. He may have a lot of work ahead of him over the next year or two...but I still think he is a very good prospect

Old
11-25-2003, 12:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
That's where I desagree... Milroy is'nt highly skilled!! Skilled for Junior yes, that's it! He does have a great accurate wrist shot but does'nt have half of Balej' skills! He was lucky to play along with great linemates like Marek Svatos and Plihal!

Yes he was highly skilled in juniors, but he didn't always play with Svatos and Plihal. He was good when he was with Swift Current, and he was the teams top player last year, without Svatos. It sounds to me like you don't know much about Milroy. Lucky? please. He creates chances for himself by being a smart player that puts himself in good position. Forget Balej, don't compare them. I used Balej as a comparison because of the situtation they were both in reguarding being 1st year pros on a top notch team after suffering an injury.

Balej is a different player then Milroy, but that doesn't mean that both don't have good skills. Just because he has had some troubles in the AHL in the 7 games he's played is no indication that he's not skilled.

He needs to get bigger and stronger, but so do most 20 year olds. He already is sold in his own end, while being able to play in all situations. His skating is fine, and so is his speed. No one is as fast as Balej, and Milroy isn't a speedster by any means, as he doesn't have breakaway speed, but he has good balance and shows a willingness to mix it up, something we need to see from more of our players.

Old
11-25-2003, 01:47 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:

Same thing goes for a young NHL player on the 3rd or 4th lines, if he is coming back from an injury it is hard to crack the line-up if there are enough healthy bodies in it and the team is winning.

Your right about nothing as usual.

Closed Thread