Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Lose at home to Washington???

Old
10-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Body Checker

vCash: 500
Lose at home to Washington???

Sure they have Ovechkin but we're talking about an AHL caliber defense here.

Again I bring up my one goal game stat. Flames are on the other side of it so far. Teams like that miss the playoffs despite being "not too bad".

This team needs a wake up call and I say it's time to give Omaha a call. Waive Lundmark and McCarty, send Giordano down for some ice time. Recall Prust,Taratukhin and get Nystrom in there when he's healthy.

Time for some energy from some kids. I'd bench Amonte too.

Good things from tonight: Iginla played well, Nilson was excellent and hard working.

Bad things: Ference was brutal. Maybe a game benching coming up for him.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:06 PM
PapaBear*

It was terrible, especially the 3rd goal..the defensive zone coverage was awful.

I would like to see Sutter come back behind the bench. I know P.F. instills a more offensive system, but the thing is...the team is having constant defensive breakdowns each and every game, that we werent even known to have the past 2, 3 years. It is costing us games, and when is our PP finally going to be addressed?

I think a move is made early mid Nov. Our next four games are Det, CLB, Stl, Dal......we very well could end up losing 3 of those 4.

Tangs reallly needs to be on that #1 line again. We arent paying him 5 mill bucks to log under 13mins icetime, and its not like Hesulius is doing much better.

PapaBear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Andre Boudrias
The Canucks Are Back

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Sure they have Ovechkin but we're talking about an AHL caliber defense here.

Again I bring up my one goal game stat. Flames are on the other side of it so far. Teams like that miss the playoffs despite being "not too bad".

This team needs a wake up call and I say it's time to give Omaha a call. Waive Lundmark and McCarty, send Giordano down for some ice time. Recall Prust,Taratukhin and get Nystrom in there when he's healthy.

Time for some energy from some kids. I'd bench Amonte too.

Good things from tonight: Iginla played well, Nilson was excellent and hard working.

Bad things: Ference was brutal. Maybe a game benching coming up for him.
The flames don't have a AHL caliber defense .. They are struggling because they are just not working hard enough. They are just getting outplayed. They are not hitting, not getting the puck first, not winning the battles for the puck,They just seem really lazy or tire. In this game i didn't even know that Tanguay was dressed.. Cause he didn't do anything. He played 17 minutes and was a -1 and he didn't get a single shot in net.. How is he suppose to start scoring when he doesnt even get shots in net. Phaneuf got owned by Ovechkin twice, and it almost cost the flames a goal.. Flames need to bring their fighting character back from 04 or they wont be successful.

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:14 PM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon_44 View Post
They are struggling because they are just not working hard enough.
And you know where this all branches out from? Thats right, the coaching. Ive said it before and ill say it again, the day Sutter stepped down, I knew it was a bad bad move. As good GM Sutter is, he really should have stayed behind the bench as well. You can never over look how critical his presense has been standing behind the bench each and every game.

Old
10-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Andre Boudrias
The Canucks Are Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
And you know where this all branches out from? Thats right, the coaching. Ive said it before and ill say it again, the day Sutter stepped down, I knew it was a bad bad move. As good GM Sutter is, he really should have stayed behind the bench as well. You can never over look how critical his presense has been standing behind the bench each and every game.
I agree with you, but i also think that they are trying to hard to create offence, that they are forgetting about what makes them win games.

Old
10-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Stretch

Quote:
The flames don't have a AHL caliber defense .. (snip)
I think he meant the Caps defense.

Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Andre Boudrias
The Canucks Are Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I think he meant the Caps defense.
thanks man

Old
10-30-2006, 11:25 PM
bigjags*

Can Playfair already. I need Kipper going full tilt in my fantasy pool.

bigjags* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:25 PM
PapaBear*

The special teams alone is killing this team. Our PK is pathetic, our PP is completely invisible. I mean just watching how well the Caps threw the puck around on the PP tonight, made us look like a bunch of school boys

Why do we keep playing a passive box on the PK? I dont get it! Watch how the Oilers kill penalties - they always attack and outman the puck carrier downlow. We do we have to be so passive?

Flames hockey doesnt suit the new NHL. Even worse when this team lacks finishers. How many times do we miss the net every game?

Old
10-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Andre Boudrias
The Canucks Are Back

Playfair, should really consider having everybody playing defence first. Then getting goals.. The flames know they can win like that, and they should start doing that, rather then worrying about scoring goals. The goals will come..

Old
10-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I can agree with what he's saying. No harm in giving a few kids a try, some might just surprise you all.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:31 PM
PapaBear*

bring Craig Conroy back: it would do wonders for this hockey club.

Tanguays talents are being badly mis-used on this team.. Why the heck is he still rushing the puck up the ice on the PP?

Old
10-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Andre Boudrias
The Canucks Are Back

The flames should keep the PP plain and simple.. Dump the puck in the opponents zone and be first to it.. Then send it to the point and have 1 guy in front of the net..

Old
10-30-2006, 11:34 PM
abracanada

The pressure is on Playfair, and you can see it. The guy really shows his feelings on the bench. He appears to be panicking there. He wears his heart on his sleeve - that is for sure. He was much more composed last year when the pressure was on Sutter.

Does that mean he can't do the job? No, it just means that is his demeanor. He has a mentor and I have to hope something is going to click.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:39 PM
CBanana

Hmmm... Thinking about it. I don't think there's any easy answers but one thing is the Flames need to get their confidence going (particularly Tanguay) to bust out of their slump.

One solution may be rivalry games like Edmonton, Vancouver, or Colorado to give them that energy to start winning but the schedule doesn't have those coming up for a long while.

CBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:41 PM
PapaBear*

Quote:
The flames should keep the PP plain and simple.. Dump the puck in the opponents zone and be first to it.. Then send it to the point and have 1 guy in front of the net..
Ya easier said than done when P.F. sends out the checking line with 40 secs to go in the period . Then puts his top line back out with less than 10 secs remaining. He's making far too many amatuer mistakes and the 3-6-1 record is proof of that.

Besides, teams have our PP figured out. 1) Get the puck to Iggy or 2) back to Dion for the one time. Whats preventing the flames from doing well on the PP, is their inability to penetrate in the slot. Every single PP, they are always boxed out along the boards. You can just see it, they are not passing the puck confidently in the off. zone.

Old
10-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Andre Boudrias
The Canucks Are Back

I still can't believe the flames lost to washington, thats showing how much they are really struggling.. They lost way to many players from their 04 run.. and that's hurting them.. players like Conroy, Leopold, Lydman, Gelinas, Simon, Donovan, Saprykin, Reinprecht, Nieminen, Gauthier, Commodore They really could use their help.. Specially those type of players. Hard workers, big hitters, leaders of the team..

Old
10-30-2006, 11:51 PM
PapaBear*

^Haha its not just losing to Washington, but how....

I mean that breakaway goal was an absolute backbreaker. I still dont understand how Zednik got soooo far behind our defense. Was it Warrener and Ference on the ice?

The caps took over the 2nd, they were all over us. The game easily could have been 5 or 6 to 2 had they not rang so many goal posts. It would have been even worse had Zednik got the trick, as he just about did in the end.

I hope Ferences ice time drops next game and Warreners keeps getting bumped up. Ference was downright awful tonight.

Nieminen is a guy I would like to see back. Flames dont have that spark, and as many people would criticize Villie for his bad penalties, the guy brought a lot of energy and intensity to the club at the time.

Old
10-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Andre Boudrias
The Canucks Are Back

The flames of today, remind me of the canucks of last year.. They had a better team on paper, but not heart.. as a canuck fan, that was really fustrating to watch.

Old
10-30-2006, 11:55 PM
CBanana

Quote:
I still can't believe the flames lost to washington, thats showing how much they are really struggling.. They lost way to many players from their 04 run.. and that's hurting them.. players like Conroy, Leopold, Lydman, Gelinas, Simon, Donovan, Saprykin, Reinprecht, Nieminen, Gauthier, Commodore They really could use their help.. Specially those type of players. Hard workers, big hitters, leaders of the team..
It's not about the individual pieces right now. It's about the entire team. This team is mostly intact from the team last year that dominated the regular season.

CBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBanana View Post
It's not about the individual pieces right now. It's about the entire team. This team is mostly intact from the team last year that dominated the regular season.
Dominated? They didn't dominate anything last year. Kipper did.

This team's work ethic was substantially weakened last season, but Kipper bailed them out. Now, there's just about none of it left, and as much as Iggy and Kipper are doing to try and win games by themselves, it's not happening.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:58 PM
PapaBear*

Quote:
The flames of today, remind me of the canucks of last year.. They had a better team on paper, but not heart.. as a canuck fan, that was really fustrating to watch.
Now just imagine had Roenick signed with us in the off season. Everyone can down talk J.R. for being old and over the hill - just look how hes been playing in PHX, the guy is leading by example. The guy still loves the game and his heart shows it. Too bad Sutter didnt remain as coach, otherwise J.R. would be a flame right now. Roenick would have done well here.

Old
10-30-2006, 11:59 PM
haQ Loob

Ference didn't look anything like the rock star he was in the playoffs. Warrener had a few brain farts too. I think Phaneuf was still a little ill, and he can't be expected to be solid ALL the time...it's not fair. But when Robyn Regehr makes defensive mistakes, you've got to wonder...what the heck is going on in practice? I miss Sutter.

Hopefully, this is just typical early season woes for the Flames, but why not shake things up more than moving Tanguay from line to line? We've got what looks like serious talent in Omaha. I like the idea of dropping Ritchie and McCarty types in favour of some of the Taratukhin, Boyd, Prust, Chucko, healthy Nystrom types.

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 12:01 AM
Andre Boudrias
The Canucks Are Back

We are finally starting to see that Kipper is no super man, he needs that team from 04'.. The team that played with heart, the team that would block every shot, the team that would give it 100% effort for 60 minutes, the team that would intimidate other teams.. Without heart the flames are really going to struggle to make the playoffs.

Old
10-31-2006, 12:04 AM
pondnorth

Forget about the 04 run,that`s over ,Playfair got the players he didn`t want released or no offers,this is his team, he helped hand pick.I hope he chokes.

pondnorth is offline   Reply With Quote