HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is Wrong with our Team so Far??

View Poll Results: Whats wrong with the team so far? (you can vote for more then 1)
The Offense 5 4.85%
The Defense 80 77.67%
The Goaltending 38 36.89%
The PP 32 31.07%
The PK 21 20.39%
The Lack of Heart 53 51.46%
The Coaching 46 44.66%
Nothing is Wrong, Lack Of Chemistry 12 11.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-31-2006, 12:48 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
What is Wrong with our Team so Far??

Well??

For Me:
The Defense
The PP
The PK
Lack of Coaching
Lack of Heart

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Voted the D, the heart, and actually for coaching.

The staff needs to step it up some and get a bit nasty with these guys. Shake em up a bit and show some discipline from the bench, because honestly, terrible play should get these guys benched. I really dont see how Immo and Dawes could be any worse than what's going on, and if they are, then who cares, at least the excuse is they're learning, and they may actually pay off for us once they get accustomed to the game

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 01:34 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Well??

For Me:
The Defense
The PP
The PK
Lack of Coaching
Lack of Heart

u forgot the lack of hitting other than Hollweg everyone else is afraid to hit.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 01:40 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Voted the D, the heart, and actually for coaching.

The staff needs to step it up some and get a bit nasty with these guys. Shake em up a bit and show some discipline from the bench, because honestly, terrible play should get these guys benched. I really dont see how Immo and Dawes could be any worse than what's going on, and if they are, then who cares, at least the excuse is they're learning, and they may actually pay off for us once they get accustomed to the game
no way in rangerland u cant give rookies good ice time, then they would do what the Kings, Devils and other good teams do, help the rookies progress. Zajac and Kopitar gets ice time for Devils and Kings on the PP, and Dawes dont even get ice time, he did score over 30 goals in the AHL, same with Immonen, this rebuild is a joke. The vets know they will get ice time so they make the same dumb errors, watch Renney put Rachunek in and Pock still sits out.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:09 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Lack of Heart.

This team showed last year we had enough skill, then we got better.

But that getting better was contigent on us working hard, and we basically decide which teams we want to play hard against. If you don't skate, in this league, you're gonna get beat.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 05:46 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Im sick and tired of this team playing .500 . Win a game, lose a game, win a game, lose a game....same process every week. This season so far (outside of the first 2 games) reminds me of the Rangers before the lockout where they beat the good teams and lose against the bad ones.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 07:22 AM
chosen

You left out the box that is the reason.

It's the imbecile Sather. No matter how badly he performs, he is still bailed out here and in the press. Why? Who knows?

All over the league there are 18-22 year olds flourishing while we are being told that we have "crown jewels" in the wings. Face it kids. It's a load of bull####.

Hartford has a total of one victory! And with all those crown jewels, no less.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 07:34 AM
pld459666

for me it is

Defence, Lack of Heart and Coaching.

Last night was a joke. getting the bums rush in the first period like that was something that Renney should have stopped by instructing Colton Orr to go out there and pound someone's lemon in. enforcers are not just guys that go out and protect teammates, they are potential momentum changers and he should have gone out there and threw down with someone from the Kings.

Could it have worked? Could it have backfired? We'll never know because it was never called for but it's something that should have been tried.

Did Tom call a time out in the 1st? less than 7 minutes into the game the kings had 9 shots on net. To me that tells me my team are on their heels, let's get this straightened out before the parade to the penalty box (even though we had taken two already)

Malik, Rozy, Karel, Ozo and to a large extent Tyutin are all non-physical defenceman and seem to get out-muscled in most one on one battles be it in front or in the corners or behind the net which is causing problems.

I never really thought much about our defence last year and since the majority of them are the same players I don't really see much of a difference.

The guys on D I would keep, Kaspar, Ward, Tyutin. Bring up Pock and trade for something, because the others are for crap

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 07:34 AM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
Lack of Heart.

This team showed last year we had enough skill, then we got better.

But that getting better was contigent on us working hard, and we basically decide which teams we want to play hard against. If you don't skate, in this league, you're gonna get beat.
I feel your pain brah

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 07:44 AM
94now

Shanahan is the best player now. He is the biggest distraction for this team in the same time. They ruined Czech team by getting Shanny. The new team has not been built. Currently we've got a set of players instead of the team. So top 6 are affected by Shanahan, departure of Czechs and Ruccin. Bottom 6 were negatively affected by Moore trade and Ort illness. Hall is just a waste of space. He tries, but seem to be not able to develop any chemistry with anyone. We got no Jagr and Lundqvist is ordinary at best. Defense is overwhelmed due to lack of strong defensive forwards and breaks down often.
There is no way to fix it other than trading Shanahan and re-start the re-build, but that would be an insane thing to even suggest. Plus we do not have material to rebuild with, frankly. We are due for a very long season , folks.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Shanahan is the best player now. He is the biggest distraction for this team in the same time. They ruined Czech team by getting Shanny. The new team has not been built. Currently we've got a set of players instead of the team. So top 6 are affected by Shanahan, departure of Czechs and Ruccin. Bottom 6 were negatively affected by Moore trade and Ort illness. Hall is just a waste of space. He tries, but seem to be not able to develop any chemistry with anyone. We got no Jagr and Lundqvist is ordinary at best. Defense is overwhelmed due to lack of strong defensive forwards and breaks down often.
There is no way to fix it other than trading Shanahan and re-start the re-build, but that would be an insane thing to even suggest. Plus we do not have material to rebuild with, frankly. We are due for a very long season , folks.
There's just no cohesion. Trading Shanny doesn't fix that. Sather deciding how he wants his team to be identified does. Is this a North American hockey team with a little Czech finesse thrown in for some flavor? Or is this a Czech team with some North American sandpaper. The line separating these distinct styles is extremely apparent. Because of this, each line isn't an appendage of the overall team, but a sort of sub-team in and of itself.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 08:10 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
There's just no cohesion. Trading Shanny doesn't fix that. Sather deciding how he wants his team to be identified does. Is this a North American hockey team with a little Czech finesse thrown in for some flavor? Or is this a Czech team with some North American sandpaper. The line separating these distinct styles is extremely apparent. Because of this, each line isn't an appendage of the overall team, but a sort of sub-team in and of itself.
Very good post. You just nailed it, IMO. Last year we had the second type. Now it's the first. We know the results.

Old
10-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Melrose_Jr.

So much is wrong, I'm really considering whether coaching is the problem. Can it be that the bizzare choices being made behind the bench are at least somewhat responsible for preventing the team find any chemistry as a group?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 08:34 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
So much is wrong, I'm really considering whether coaching is the problem. Can it be that the bizzare choices being made behind the bench are at least somewhat responsible for preventing the team find any chemistry as a group?
Yes. The problem first and foremost is that the team has become a direct reflection of it's coach.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 08:35 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Renney is outcoached every game. Despite suggestion otherwise, there is no accountability. The team can't just rely on Henke and Jagr. It is a mediocre group that stills needs a Heavy DOSE OF YOUNGSTERS,such as Poch, Baranka and Ummonen

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 08:38 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Renney is outcoached every game. Despite suggestion otherwise, there is no accountability. The team can't just rely on Henke and Jagr. It is a mediocre group that stills needs a Heavy DOSE OF YOUNGSTERS,such as Poch, Baranka and Ummonen
That is what I would do first and foremost. Sit Ozolinsh, Malik & Rachunek and play Pock & Baranak. Play Immonen on the 3rd line w/ Dawes & Hollweg, allow for Prucha to play the top-6 minutes he deserves & allow Betts to center a 4th line with Ward & Hall as his linemates.

Old
10-31-2006, 09:24 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is what I would do first and foremost. Sit Ozolinsh, Malik & Rachunek and play Pock & Baranak. Play Immonen on the 3rd line w/ Dawes & Hollweg, allow for Prucha to play the top-6 minutes he deserves & allow Betts to center a 4th line with Ward & Hall as his linemates.
We are on the road trip, in case you forgot. Infusion of youth will be done upon arrival home if ever.
Jagr plays only with Malik-Roszival. That is given. Just forget about sitting them, trading them or moving down from 1st pair. They are on ice as soon as Jarg is. He needs them to move the puck, not to defend. So you can trade Jarg as well once they are moved, JJ will be pissed big time not seeing those two. Smart coaches know that Jagr attachment, they try now to strip Rozy from the puck hard to keep Jagr line out dry. They succeed sometimes and that makes Rozy look worse than he is, but he is subject of attention greater than Tjutin or Qzolinch which are the other two puck movers of ours. Pock and Baranka ate both offensive Ds. How their presence will improve defense is hard to understand. They could effect offense, but we do not have offense for them to support since JJ and his line plays only with Czech pair and we do not have any other offence really as now. If Immonen is our hope then we are in truly bad shape. I would rather tried Dubinski, but that could only be done once we are back home, as I sad.

Old
10-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

I voted for Defense, Lack of Heart, and Coaching.

Defense is obvious. Starting at a goaltender struggling to regain his form, to a defensive corps that is as shaky as a parkinsons patient, to forwards who don't seem interested in any backchecking that doesn't involve hooking the opponent, we can't stop the other teams attack. The only time we play well is when the other team manages to somehow be more porous than we are.

Lack of Heart is a sad shock this season after last year. I think the loss of Ortmeyer, combined with Kaspar's timidity, is really hurting the team this year. Hollweg tries, and to copy a phrase from the NYRBB, Shanahan is the Manahan, but it doesn't seem like the rest of the team is following their example.

Lastly, coaching. I thought Renney did an excellent job last year. I don't know what he did or how he did it, but either through involvement or stepping back and letting the players decide the game, he managed to keep the team motivated and successful all year (except for the end, obviously). But this year its becoming painfully obvious that he has trouble dealing with adversity, which is something EVERY good coach needs. He talks about accountability, but doesn't act. We need a coach who will demand the best from our players, and when they continually don't give it, he needs to ride their *** and bench them/waive them/trade them as needed. There should be NO free passes.

Overall, while I don't agree with the "Its too early to panic" crowd, so far we have managed to avoid a total slump. The problems we have are fixable. I think we need some movement on defense, which can help with the lack of heart too. Take out some dead wood on defense and inject some energetic youth such as Pock and Baranka, and they'll start playing their butts off. Hopefully this can spill over to the rest of the team. Kaspar seems to benefit mightily from the energy of others, which in turn helps him create energy. And if our defense tightens up a bit, then Lundqvist can settle down. His goaltending isn't awful, but he needs to calm down and get better rebound control (his most glaring problem this year, IMO).

As for the coaching, its not like Renney is beyond hope. Same for Pearn and Pelino. They just need to take charge of the team and demand respect and hard work.

Hopefully we can turn things around within the next say, 10 games or so. If we can play .500 hockey till then, we'll be roughly 10-10. Not a great start, but at least it doesn't leave you with a mountain to climb.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Fletch

In a word...

everything. And everyone's to blame - from Sather to Renney to the players themselves. This team's record isn't horrible. But if the objective is to improve upon last season, then this team, as constructed and as coached, will not get past the first round, again. Championship teams do not give up 4 or more goals in more than 1/2 their games.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Can we at least say that without a forecheck our defense is going to collapse?

Can we at least say that some guys brought in this past offseason look both out of shape and lazy?

Can we at least say that Renneys treatment of Prucha is getting to the point of embarassing?

Can we at least say that it's time for Kaspar to retire?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
What I find really interesting is to me theStraka-Nylander-Jagr has bene the dominating line that they were last season. Yet they are all on pace to fair exceed their point totals for last season.

10-31-2006, 09:36 AM
True Blue

Quote:
We are on the road trip, in case you forgot. Infusion of youth will be done upon arrival home if ever.
Call them up and have them meet you in the next city.
Quote:
Jagr plays only with Malik-Roszival. That is given. Just forget about sitting them, trading them or moving down from 1st pair. They are on ice as soon as Jarg is. He needs them to move the puck, not to defend. So you can trade Jarg as well once they are moved, JJ will be pissed big time not seeing those two.
Not really describing a captain, now are you? Malik and Rozsival (to varyinig degrees) have become a part of the problem and not the solution. You would think that a captain would want what is best for the team and that his coach would agree. Plus, if Rozsival and Malik were so instrumental in passing the puck, why would they not have more points?
Quote:
Smart coaches know that Jagr attachment, they try now to strip Rozy from the puck hard to keep Jagr line out dry. They succeed sometimes and that makes Rozy look worse than he is, but he is subject of attention greater than Tjutin or Qzolinch which are the other two puck movers of ours.
Sorry, but Ozolinsh's days as a puck carrier are long over with. Not when he cannot distinguish which jersey he needs to pass the puck to.
Quote:
Pock and Baranka ate both offensive Ds. How their presence will improve defense is hard to understand.
First of all, Baranka is a defensive defenseman. Second of all, by playing Pock on the point, instead of Ozoslinsh, Rozsival or Straka could only help. Plus, his presence cannot possibly be worse than Rachunek, Malik or Ozolinsh (or Rozsival for the majority of the games this year).
Quote:
They could effect offense, but we do not have offense for them to support since JJ and his line plays only with Czech pair and we do not have any other offence really as now.
Jagr will play with whomever Renney sends out there.
Quote:
If Immonen is our hope then we are in truly bad shape. I would rather tried Dubinski, but that could only be done once we are back home, as I sad.
Immonen is not the only hope, but he can make the lines make some more sense. By playing him on the 3rd line, you would not have a guy with zero assists centering Shanny and two wings playing the center position.

Old
10-31-2006, 09:41 AM
KFC

i voted bad goaltending, coaching, PP, and defense

Listen i like Renney... but he isnt a great coach he is really more of a teacher... thats why last year worked so well he was doing more teaching then coaching really. Now the team has changed in that there isnt that same attitude as last year when we admitted we were rebuilding, this year thanks to additions through free agency(shannahan and Ward namely) and trades (Hall... and idk who else off the top of my head) and due to the success of last years team they came in to this season trying to be contenders and Renney just isnt a good enough coach for that. What hes good for is rebuilding and then when we are done rebuilding and ready to contend we have to get a new coach.

KFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:44 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Call them up and have them meet you in the next city.

Not really describing a captain, now are you? Malik and Rozsival (to varyinig degrees) have become a part of the problem and not the solution. You would think that a captain would want what is best for the team and that his coach would agree. Plus, if Rozsival and Malik were so instrumental in passing the puck, why would they not have more points?
Amazing advancements they've made in airtravel over the last 40 years.

I don't buy into that either. Jagr looked pretty good playing with Aaron Ward in Phoenix.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Pock and Baranka ate both offensive Ds. How their presence will improve defense is hard to understand.
Pock is an Offensive D-man, but Baranka is a defensive d-man who happens to have above-average offensive skills. He isn't an offense-first guy, but he has the ability to chip in.

But aside from the fact that they can't possibly play worse than who they'd be replacing, having defensemen with good offensive instincts (ie, passing skills) would help on defense by allowing accurate breakout passes, which would result in less turnovers. Defense isn't just shoving a guy against the boards and taking the puck from him. One of the main problems we are having, especially with Rozsival, is turnovers and bad passes. Pock has, IMO, superior puck possession and passing skills. This would help us exit our own zone faster and more effeciently. Even if the offense doesn't pick it up from there (and I don't believe they won't, even if you want to say our offense isn't producing, they ARE producing, but our transition game is in shambles).

Quote:
Can we at least say that some guys brought in this past offseason look both out of shape and lazy?
I don't agree with this one. Shanahan had been outstanding. Ward hasn't been godly, but hes been fairly solid. He puts some of our guys from last year to shame. Cullen has been skating fairly well. If anyone looks out of shape and lazy, its a lot of our returning players from last year.

And as for d-pairs, I'd rather see Jagr playing with Ward and Ozo.

Last edited by Thordic: 10-31-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote