HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do You Guys Remember The First Game You Ever Went To?

Old
10-31-2006, 02:43 PM
tritone

vCash: 500
Who won? Edmonton
How old were you? 14
Who'd they play? Montreal vs Edmonton at the Forum
Who was still playing then and who'd you see? Wayne Gretzky, Patrick Roy, Petr Svoboda (mentioned because it was the first time I had seen a player up close and I noticed he skated with his tongue sticking out)
What was the score? 6-3 Edmonton

Had a seat right up against the glass in the corner, Patrick Roy broke his stick in practice and he handed it to me through the crack in the glass.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Artie

Unfortunately, my first game like alot of my other firsts, was quite forgettable.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:48 PM
kostitsyn1489

January 2004 vs Florida... Habs lost 1-0 that was boring. I think pee-wee game during 1st intermission was more spetacular...

It's the only game I ever see... At least I got pop tarts at the end

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:49 PM
scosar

People didn't just 'buy' tickets in those days. If you had a connection of some kind, you'd go, but I don't remeber anyone buying them like they do now.

You are so right. I lucked in having a next door neighbor who was a marketing manager at Kraft. I got tickets all the time starting in 67. Best game I ever got to was the 79 rematch vs. the Red Army.

But I never remember anyone buying tickets to the game. When I got older we used to go to the Forum and hand over 10 bucks for standing room only.

scosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:49 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Unfortunately, my first game like alot of my other firsts, was quite forgettable.
So, you're saying the game was over too quick and you went home vaguely unsatisfied ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
So, you're saying the game was over too quick and you went home vaguely unsatisfied ?

Yeah and I really don't remember if there was booing or cheering at the end.

I do know though that I was hooked and wanted more.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:52 PM
Darz

This is so pathetically sad, but...........

I've never been to a habs game in my life.

10-31-2006, 02:53 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosar View Post
People didn't just 'buy' tickets in those days. If you had a connection of some kind, you'd go, but I don't remeber anyone buying them like they do now.

You are so right. I lucked in having a next door neighbor who was a marketing manager at Kraft. I got tickets all the time starting in 67. Best game I ever got to was the 79 rematch vs. the Red Army.

But I never remember anyone buying tickets to the game. When I got older we used to go to the Forum and hand over 10 bucks for standing room only.

We went every Friday night during the 68-69 Jr. season. 75 cents, and the trick was to get into the general admission [blue terrace seats] early and race up the stairs to try and get seats along the rails so you could lean forward and bang on them. As stupid as it sounds, strategy in getting those seats was what we talked about the whole way into town.

It was worth it to see Gilbert Perreault play.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Koivu11

April 3rd, 1999. Habs won 2-1 over Buffalo.
Dominik Hasek vs. Frédéric Chabot

Koivu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Since I used to live in Toronto, first game I saw was a Leafs game on Apr. 3, 1993 (I checked the date) and they beat the Devils 1-0. Can't remember who scored, it might've been Andreychuk. First time I saw the Habs was when I moved to Calgary in early Oct. 1999 the Habs beat the Flames 4-1 and Savage had a hat trick. First and only time I've seen the Habs in Montreal was Dec. 21, 2002 when they spanked the once hapless Sabres 6-2. Consequently, their season went into the toilet after that game and it was their highest point over .500 in that dismal year. I recall Perreault was really hot back then and scored his 16th and 17th goals (looked like he was gonna hit 45 but he only got 28-typical Yanic) and also Gilmour scored twice; on a beautiful tip and a backhander. Zednik scored a sweet goal on the breakaway after Zhitnik fell down playing the puck. 6th goal was a 2-on-1 where Koivu (who had i think 3 assists that night) hit Kilger for a goal. Then Buffallo got two including one where Dykhuis put the puck down with his glove in front of Theo and a Sabres player popped it in. I can't remember all the Leaf games I attended at the Gardens but I do recall the last one was in 1998 with the eventual cup champs Detroit murdering the Leafs 8-1 (Potvin let in two long shots from the blueline). In Calgary I've seen a few but with the Habs in town I've seen the 4-1 game in '99, a 5-4 OT loss in 2000, a 4-2 win in 2001, a 1-1 tie in 2002, a 2-1 loss in 2003 and earlier this year a 3-2 loss.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 03:12 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Nordiques vs Whalers (with the green sweater) at the Colisée..
One of the last game of Guy Lafleur!

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 03:19 PM
Phousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
What was the first NHL Game you ever went to see live?

If not a habs game, which was your first ever habs game you saw.

Who won?
How old were you?
Who'd they play?
Who was still playing then and who'd you see?
What was the score?

Etc.
I can say every game I went to in this one post.

October, 2002
Bruins 4 @ Maple Leafs 1
This was when everyone hated the acquisition of Belfour in Toronto. I cheered him on, but rooted for the Bruins to win. Idiot Bruins fans were heckling my father and I thinking we were Leafs fans for some reason. The kept saying how stupid we were for liking the Leafs and that the Bruins would win. Funny thing is, everyone in my family, aside from my mom, hate the Leafs and my dad's two favourite teams are Boston and Montreal.

February, 2006
Canadiens 3 @ Sabres 2 OT
Kovalev got a pair and Bonk scored his 2nd of the season. The most exciting game by far, and not because it was the Habs. Sabres go up by 1, Habs tie it and then take the lead. The Sabres then tie it up with 30 seconds left to force overtime. Roughly 40 seconds in, the Habs win the game and the crowd goes nuts.

March, 2006
Senators 4 @ Maple Leafs 2
Tie Domi's 1000th game. Woohoo.. I was with 3 friends who all happened to be Leafs fans. Pretty fun game to see the Leafs lose.

April, 2006
Islanders 2 @ Maple Leafs 3
Snow started in net, while my brother and I were anticipating DiPietro. Another boring game. The only thing weird was seeing Panthers and Flames jerseys in the crowd.

My record:
Boston Bruins 1-0
Buffalo Sabres 0-1
Montreal Canadiens 1-0
New York Islanders 0-1
Ottawa Senators 1-0
Toronto Maple Leafs 1-2

Last edited by Phousse: 10-31-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Guy Germaine

IT was a 9-1 drubbing of Pittsburgh back in 93' or 94'. I don't remember anything else about the game though.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 03:28 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
IT was a 9-1 drubbing of Pittsburgh back in 93' or 94'. I don't remember anything else about the game though.
The second to last game at the montreal forum ...I was there too.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Talent Analyst

I never see a game

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 03:47 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Empty netter that won the game
So it was 4-3... wasn't so sure. Remember about the empty netter, but I wasn't sure about the Devils scoring another or not.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Who won? Pretty sure we did
How old were you? 4
Who'd they play? Washington
Who was still playing then and who'd you see? Not sure, but it was in 95 so...Richer? Stevens?
What was the score? 5-4 us I believe

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 05:18 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
First NHL game I saw was the very first game the Sens played at the Civic Center against the Habs!

I think the habs lost 5-3. I remember being really sick and puking during the intermissions.

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Hockeymom67

My first game was the last game at the Forum .....Monday March 11th.1996 visiting team was DALLAS defeated them 4-1
I sat in front of Jean Beliveau .Once ppl noticed him I was handing him tickets and books to sign most of the night...and to the right of me sat Vladislav Tretiak and his family.We were 4 rows up behind Habs bench ....What a night ..This is the night we gave the Rocket a 10 minute standing ovation , as Scotty Bowman, Sam Pollock, Bob Gainey, Lafleur, Jean Beliveau, Ken Dryden, Frank and Peter Mahovlich, Yvan Cournoyer, Dickie Moore, Gump Worsley, Henri Richard and more.........paraded on the ice
Very emotional .....I was hooked ,bought season tickets that we still own ...

Hockeymom67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 05:38 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I was 10 years old maybe...it was ducks vs habs...

Ducks won 5-4...Recchi scored two goals and he was my favourite player at the time. Selanee gave a puck to a youngin' in front of me...I was mad.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I was young. Cant really tell, aside from a few things.

It was in the old Forum de Montréal. It was an exhibition game and Stephane Richer scored 4 goals that night.

The crowd was... happy.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
plafleur10

1965 or 1966

I was 5 or 6 years old,it was 1965 or 1966, I went with my grand-mother, we were in the greys (just above Reds) behind the net, but we came early to watch the pre-game warmup , walked by the players benches as we could do back then, saw a few from really close in and then Rangers' defenseman Arnie Brown gave me his stick which he had just slightly cracked during the warmup, I kept it as a treasury until I left my parents' home at 21...

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 05:13 AM
Duster

First time was a Montreal Jr. Canadiens game against the Ottawa 67s. I think it was Spring 1968. Montreal won easily since Ottawa didn't have a very good team. Rejean Houle played for the Junior Canadiens at time and was their star player although I don't remember noticing him.

First Habs game at the Forum was Montreal vs Chicago in 1969. I was sitting almost directly behind the Chicago net for two periods and you could see the Hawks had their hands full. John Ferguson took on Keith Magnuson in a short one sided scrap.

Last edited by Duster: 11-01-2006 at 05:21 AM.
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souray44 View Post
March 26th, 1997

Pittsburgh @ Montreal

Jagr, Lemieux, Francis were on the Pens at the time.

Damphousse, Koivu, Recchi were on the Montreal.

This was supposed to be Lemieux's last game in Canada because he retired at the end of the year.

Montreal won 8-5.

annnd....I haven't been back since considering I live in PEI. I have tickets right behind the Habs bench for the Feb 20th game vs Washington though and I can't friggin wait to get back there.
That's weird...that was my first game too hehe...

If I remember correctly, Mario scored FOUR goals in the 3rd period of that game, which was interesting since he didn't usually produce all that much playing vs the Canadiens in Montreal. He got a huge ovation at the end of the game...it was nice.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:35 AM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
What was the first NHL Game you ever went to see live? November 18, 1995, remember it like it was yesterday...Ottawa vs Montreal
Who won? Montreal
How old were you? 10
Who'd they play? Ottawa
What was the score? 5-1
Who was still playing then and who'd you see?

Ottawa
Alfredsson,Archibald,Bonk,Bourque,Cunneyworth,Daig le,Drury,Duchesne, Gaudreau,Hill,Huffman, McCleary, Modry, Musil, Neckar, Straka, Tormanen, Vial, Beaupre in nets

MONTREAL
Brashear,Brisebois,Damphousse,Fergusson,Kiprusoff, Koivu,Bureau,Malakov, Odelein, Petrov, Popovic, Quintal, Racine, Recchi, Savage, Stevenson, turgeon, v. Bure and Roy in nets

Ottawa Goal: Hill
Habs Goals: Damphousse, Brisebois, Odelein, Koivu, Stevenson

Ref: Marouelli
Linesman: Gauthier and Hodges

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote