Old
10-31-2006, 01:32 PM
TOML

vCash: 500
Flames being scouted.

www.spectorshockey.net

Quote:
FLAMES BEING SCOUTED?

THE SCORE: reports a dozen NHL scouts reportedly attended Monday's Calgary Flames-Washington Capitals game.

Spector's Note: I doubt they were there to watch the Capitals. The Flames are struggling big time, and while GM Darryl Sutter recently denied his team needs an offensive boost, the stats prove otherwise. The Flames presently sit 26th in the league in goals for.
They need offense. Question is, what would the Flames be able to give up in return. Beyond prospects?

UFA's this summer include: Amonte, Friesen, Nilson, McCarty, Ritchie, Hamrlik and McLennan. None of those aside from Hamrlik would attract much interest from other teams at all.

UFA's next summer include: Iginla, Langkow, Yelle, Huselius, Regehr, Zyuzin, and Kiprusoff. With Kipper and Regehr likely demanding huge raises, and Iginla likely demanding at least the same 7mil salary, the Flames will have to decide whom to keep. And unless he returns to league mvp form soon, my money is on Iginla being the one to depart.

So: Pull the trigger on a Iginla blockbuster trade now? Or do a minor patch-up trade instead?

Sutter didn't quit coaching to focus on being a GM for no reason. He's got some big decisions to make. And I think we'll find out what they are fairly quickly.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:05 PM
workedforme

wait 5 games. We are at the point now where we started to pick it up last year. Sutter is not stupid, he is aware that the western conference is going to be a dogfight, But, he is still Daryl Sutter. He likes this team, and is going to wait as long as he can before he makes any adjustments. He just can't wait that long this year because we are already falling to far behind.

workedforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

I don't think trading Iginla is the answer, he's our captain. If this team is going to win the Cup within the next couple years, it's going to be Iginla accepting the trophy from Gary Bettman at centre-ice.

The four players I consider untouchable on this team right now are Iginla, Regehr, Kiprusoff and Phaneuf. Everybody else is fair game.

Last edited by Future_KLM_Pilot*: 10-31-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:46 PM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icbites View Post

The four players I consider untouchable on this team right now are Iginla, Regehr, Kiprusoff and Phaneuf. Everybody else is fair game.
But those are they only ones that have good trade value.

And Iginla isn't going anywhere, as I said in the other thread...Regehr is the odd guy out.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 03:25 PM
haQ Loob

Sutter has said before that Yelle is also untouchable. I hope he never goes (but more than that I hope he comes back from his injury. It was a horrible crumple he went down in.)

I wish Lombardi and Kobasew were also untouchable. But I'm guessing they are Marc Savards who will bust out as soon as they're traded.

What do you think of bringing Krahn up finally and letting him prove himself in this league over 10-15 games so that he grows some trade value? Is that too big a risk? Would Noodles be pissed?

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbet View Post
But those are they only ones that have good trade value.

And Iginla isn't going anywhere, as I said in the other thread...Regehr is the odd guy out.
If we still had Leo, I could see Regehr as almost being moveable. But without Leo, the depth at D is already starting to look questionable.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Wags

Hopefully someone wants A. Ference. He is brutal in his own end, and I don't think he is necessary for the powerplay.

I'm just sick of watching him constantly get beat and take penalties to recover, or just let them score...this has gone on since the penalty crack-down began and its getting old.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 05:30 PM
abracanada

The callup of Boyd and Prust, could be the precursor to some bigger moves. Who knows.......waiting for the other shoe to drop. Does Langkow or Lombardi sit in the pressbox while Boyd plays, or has a deal been struck?

Things should get interesting over the next little while.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 07:51 PM
CalgaryFan1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Hopefully someone wants A. Ference. He is brutal in his own end, and I don't think he is necessary for the powerplay.

I'm just sick of watching him constantly get beat and take penalties to recover, or just let them score...this has gone on since the penalty crack-down began and its getting old.
Ference? really? In a cap world you have to figure for the money Ference costs, can you upgrade, and the answer is no. Someone like Hamrlik or Warrener have been playing terrible and they cost a pile of money and cap room. (6 million between the two of them). I'd rather see one (warrener) leave before Ference anyday. Warrener's value took a spiral after the new rules. As far as Hamrlik, one more year of his fat contract, and he's done too. (of course this is all my opinion, lol)

CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
The callup of Boyd and Prust, could be the precursor to some bigger moves. Who knows.......waiting for the other shoe to drop. Does Langkow or Lombardi sit in the pressbox while Boyd plays, or has a deal been struck?

Things should get interesting over the next little while.
Maybe not trades neccesarily, but maybe some vets (McCarty,Friesen or Amonte come to mind) get put on waivers....For the amount of money that those 3 make, I think the team would be just as good with Prust, Boyd and Taratuhkin playing regular shifts....saves some money that's for sure....maybe even Nystrom when he gets healthy.....shaking up the 3rd and 4th lines is probably the best place to start to wake the team up....and if that doesn't work, maybe more will have to be done.....

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Ference? really? In a cap world you have to figure for the money Ference costs, can you upgrade, and the answer is no. Someone like Hamrlik or Warrener have been playing terrible and they cost a pile of money and cap room. (6 million between the two of them). I'd rather see one (warrener) leave before Ference anyday. Warrener's value took a spiral after the new rules. As far as Hamrlik, one more year of his fat contract, and he's done too. (of course this is all my opinion, lol)
Pretty accurate assesment I think....the pairings need to be switched up as part of a mini shake up.....Putting Hamrlik with Phaneuf again like last year might be a good place to start....Regehr and Ference possibly???....The way the 6 d have been playing so far, it's worth a try....

Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:15 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

trading iggy is like boston trading off thornton..............

trade rob reg.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Marlloon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
trading iggy is like boston trading off thornton..............

trade rob reg.
San Jose will glady take Iginla.

Marlloon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:42 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
UFA's this summer include: Amonte, Friesen, Nilson, McCarty, Ritchie, Hamrlik and McLennan.
Nilson is the only one out of that list that needs to be re-signed I think. The rest can all walk.

Old
11-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
Maybe not trades neccesarily, but maybe some vets (McCarty,Friesen or Amonte come to mind) get put on waivers....For the amount of money that those 3 make, I think the team would be just as good with Prust, Boyd and Taratuhkin playing regular shifts....saves some money that's for sure....maybe even Nystrom when he gets healthy.....shaking up the 3rd and 4th lines is probably the best place to start to wake the team up....and if that doesn't work, maybe more will have to be done.....
I agree with. It's a young man's game now (look at Buffalo, Anaheim, etc.) We have no use for these three players. Play the kids, at least we know they'll give it their all.

Old
11-01-2006, 05:48 AM
BlowPhish

In my mind the only untouchable is Phaneuf.

BlowPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by haQ Loob View Post
What do you think of bringing Krahn up finally and letting him prove himself in this league over 10-15 games so that he grows some trade value? Is that too big a risk? Would Noodles be pissed?
Only playing 10 or 15 games would only enhance Krahn's value as an NHL backup. He needs work, which he can get by plying his trade in the AHL.

Quote:

Others were quick to jump on this post - and there is some overreaction - but it does contain some truth. In the game against Washington, Ference slid the puck out near the sweet spot with two Capitals forwards on the forecheck. Ference was left flopping on his stomach, waving his stick frantically, while the Flames were fortunate that the RW didn't have any open space to lift a wrister toward. The crowd went wild, while Kiprusoff gloved a harmless shot that would've been lucky to hit the side of the net.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:16 PM
grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowPhish View Post
In my mind the only untouchable is Phaneuf.
Kipprosoff can't be moved and for Iginla it wou.d need to be a good offer to move him

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 03:49 PM
myrocketsgotcracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
www.spectorshockey.net

They need offense. Question is, what would the Flames be able to give up in return. Beyond prospects?

UFA's this summer include: Amonte, Friesen, Nilson, McCarty, Ritchie, Hamrlik and McLennan. None of those aside from Hamrlik would attract much interest from other teams at all.

UFA's next summer include: Iginla, Langkow, Yelle, Huselius, Regehr, Zyuzin, and Kiprusoff. With Kipper and Regehr likely demanding huge raises, and Iginla likely demanding at least the same 7mil salary, the Flames will have to decide whom to keep. And unless he returns to league mvp form soon, my money is on Iginla being the one to depart.

So: Pull the trigger on a Iginla blockbuster trade now? Or do a minor patch-up trade instead?

Sutter didn't quit coaching to focus on being a GM for no reason. He's got some big decisions to make. And I think we'll find out what they are fairly quickly.
i know iginla is your captain and a great player, but i wouldn't pay him $7M per year for his next contract. partly because i don't think he is earning every penny, and partly because the UFA next summer is very deep in forwards, and you guys can easily find a couple players that make your team deeper and more offensive up front.
having said that, i wouldn't sell off iggy just yet. the flames is still a dangerous team, and could make another long run in the playoff. they just need their offensive forwards to start producing offense and they'll be fine. and if the expected turn-around doesn't materialize, iggy's value will be highest at the trade deadline anyways.

myrocketsgotcracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Artie

what's Langkow's game like? I haven't been able to catch the Flames yet this year.
Could he fill in as a 2nd line center in Habland?

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
JayPSU

What kind of return would the Flames want for Regehr? He is EXACTLY the kind of d-man the Flyers could use.

JayPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Eb0la11

Quote:

I dont think you know what you are talking about... Ference is the most underrated player on the Flames. Everyone is blind to the good plays he makes because hes one of the few defenceman to take gambles and get beat.

If anyone watches NFL Football, Andrew Ference is similar to Polumalo of PIT. Though everyone loves him for his risky plays that often pay off. Everyone sees the good in him and ignores when he makes a pinch and gets beat big time for it. Andrew Ference is a similar player yet gets skinned by fans when he makes errors and rarely receives praise for his solid plays.

Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Eb0la11

If I were sutter Id be working hard at trading Hamrlik and almost for anything really, preferably a scoring forward, but would take picks/prospects. I think signing a guy like Jason Allison could help us or maybe someone who is big and can stand in front of the net on PP. NO ONE DOES THIS FOR THE FLAMES EVER!!! Every top PP has someone do this or else someone in the slot the entire PP. The flames have neither, often completely spreading out and never attacking the middle of the ice, relying on point shots that rarely go straight in.

Top PP's in the league

SJ (Cheechoo in the slot for one timers)
BUF (Vanek in front of the net)
EDM (Smyth in front of the net, Sykora in the slot)
COL (Sakic in the slot)

When are the flames gonna figure out these are two keys to a successful powerplay?

Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:26 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
what's Langkow's game like? I haven't been able to catch the Flames yet this year.
Could he fill in as a 2nd line center in Habland?
I think he could, though I hope he doesn't , he is the antithesis of Riberio IMO. When he is on his game he is really gritty and solid both ways against any center around.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:38 PM
tysester

I doubt we'll see a trade just yet - I think that calling up Boyd and Prust is a way of saying to the team "Look, you're all on notice".
Similar thing last year with signing Marchment after our defence was so terrible in October, and it seemed to turn things around - not because Marchment played amazing, but because everyone else realized there was a guy who could take their job.
Hopefully it does something similar for the forwards right now...

I think that Kipprusoff could use a night off too. Another lesson from last year - he wasn't quite on the top of his game fairly early in the year, and Sutter played Sauve twice in a row (one at home and one in Colorado if my memory serves me right) and referred to Kipper as "the other guy", and then his play seemed to pick right up.

tysester is offline   Reply With Quote