HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What would it take Boston to get Tom Poti?

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2003, 01:15 PM
BruinFan42

vCash: 500
What would it take Boston to get Tom Poti?

The Bruins need #4/#5, mobile, puck-rushing defensmen to accomadate their slow, stay at home defensmen. What would Boston have to give up for Tom Poti?

Old
11-24-2003, 01:18 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Wha? I thought that Boston had some good puck-moving defensemen coming through?

Jillson has a lot of assists and Boynton needs time but I thought they were good puck-moving defensemen?

Old
11-24-2003, 01:22 PM
AvsGuy

Brian Rolston.

Old
11-24-2003, 01:22 PM
BruinFan42

Jillson and McGillis have been as steady as she goes, Boynton's a horse but he's slightly overrated, right now he's been performing as our #4, #5 defensmen.

Boynton, Moran, O'Donnell and Gill are all defensive defensmen that are very large and immobile and have 1 goal between the four of them. Gill is getting beat in every direction because he's so big, so we need someone like Poti to compensate for these guys. To put him in as our #4 or #5 defensmen with Gill or O'Donnell would help put some juice into the D, and help even more on the PP...

Old
11-24-2003, 01:28 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Ah okay...

Hey! BTW what does Boston need other than a puck-moving defensemen?

Old
11-24-2003, 01:37 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
The Bruins need #4/#5, mobile, puck-rushing defensmen to accomadate their slow, stay at home defensmen. What would Boston have to give up for Tom Poti?
'04 1st round pick, mid-level prospect

Old
11-24-2003, 01:42 PM
rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
Brian Rolston.
Rolston would look great in Rangers blue yes...

Old
11-24-2003, 01:49 PM
spence___

Quote:
Why would they bother trading for Poti when they let Berard walk?

Old
11-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
The Bruins don't need Poti. If they were willing to pay him $3m/year (or whatever it is he's making), why wouldn't they have paid Berard $2m? Poti sucks defensively, and, although definitely an upgrade, isn't that much better than Berard offensively. The Bruins need a solid two-way defenseman. They don't need someone that's going to be a liability in the defensive end. If the B's look at anyone, they should look at Gonchar.

And I wouldn't give either of those packages (1st and prospect; or Rolston) for Poti.

Old
11-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Tico

Quote:
Jillson and McGillis have been as steady as she goes, Boynton's a horse but he's slightly overrated, right now he's been performing as our #4, #5 defensmen.

Boynton, Moran, O'Donnell and Gill are all defensive defensmen that are very large and immobile and have 1 goal between the four of them. Gill is getting beat in every direction because he's so big, so we need someone like Poti to compensate for these guys. To put him in as our #4 or #5 defensmen with Gill or O'Donnell would help put some juice into the D, and help even more on the PP...
Skoula for Boynton

Old
11-24-2003, 02:07 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie27
The Bruins don't need Poti. If they were willing to pay him $3m/year (or whatever it is he's making), why wouldn't they have paid Berard $2m? Poti sucks defensively, and, although definitely an upgrade, isn't that much better than Berard offensively. The Bruins need a solid two-way defenseman. They don't need someone that's going to be a liability in the defensive end. If the B's look at anyone, they should look at Gonchar.

And I wouldn't give either of those packages (1st and prospect; or Rolston) for Poti.
poti has improved a great deal in his own zone this year and is still a pretty good offensive-defenseman at the age of 26. if boston wants poti they would have to pony up because...

leetch-35
malakhov-35
mironov-31
bouchard-30

and besides leetch all those guys are unsigned. i think the he means a little more to the rangers then what the bruins are willing to give up.

btw, gonchar isnt great in his own zone either.

Old
11-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Poti?

I imagine a bag of hockey pucks should do it.

Old
11-24-2003, 02:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I would take Gill and a 2nd for Poti.

11-24-2003, 02:33 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I would take Gill and a 2nd for Poti.
you can get alot more for poti then that. and plus he is important to us in the future! jesus. repeat after me...f-u-t-u-r-e future.

Old
11-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
you can get alot more for poti then that. and plus he is important to us in the future! jesus. repeat after me...f-u-t-u-r-e future.
I thought Sather even called Poti soft recently?

Future my ass. He is 26 now, is very soft, and is not the heri apparent to leetch that sather billed him as when we acquired him.

Poti has good offensive skills. but he is unwillingor unable to play the body consistently(to much darn stick checking), or even know what he is supposed to do in the defensive end of the ice.

Not advocating trading him or not. Just saying his value is not as high as what Sather payed (Mike York

Old
11-24-2003, 05:24 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
Brian Rolston.
HA! Good one.....

Old
11-24-2003, 05:28 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico
Skoula for Boynton
*tap tap* wake up.. :p

Old
11-24-2003, 05:32 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Dude

Poti blows, sure he is good offensively but awful in his own zone. Me makes horrendous decisions...

Old
11-24-2003, 05:47 PM
emjking

Jillson & 3rd for poti

or Samsonov & 4th for Poti, Carter & 2nd

Old
11-24-2003, 05:57 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie27

tom poti is from worcester mass. and having another local boy in the lineup would help the bruins pr

but why would they let berrard walk whom is from r.i. or make an offer to bill guerin (i don't think they could afford him anyways)

poti was in slats doghouse last week and mabye a prospect or a high pick would be sufficent for poti

Old
11-24-2003, 06:00 PM
BruinFan42

Jillson and a 3rd for Poti?

Um. Yeah

Old
11-24-2003, 06:03 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Wow Rolston or a first and prospect for Poti? You guys are crazy.

I like Jillson, third for him. I think that is fair value. Poti is overrated by his stats. He is a forward, not a defenseman, should be valued no more then a 50 point forward.

I also like Gill and a second. Gives us what we <b>need</b>. Poti as far as I'm concerned is not the future of this team. As good as he is offensively, he is too much of a liability defensively and will wear out his welcome any place he goes.

Old
11-24-2003, 06:28 PM
drewcon40

non - Ranger fans

Poti is a sore subject (for me as a Ranger fan). First off, Mike York was an extremely popular player with the Rangers. One of the few players on the Rangers that the fans appreciated and applauded. From what I understand, Sather acquired Poti to prevent the Islanders from acquiring him (or at least that is one of the reasons). The fact that the popular Mike York was involved in the Poti deal already makes him a marked man (for lack of better words).

My question is, how do other fans view Poti? We tend to overrate our players for a trade but are the most critical when we watch them game in and out. Poti is atrocious defensively.

That being said, we'll take Joe Thorton for Poti and Petr Nedved! : )

Honestly, an early draft pick would make me happy. In this case, addition by subtraction for the Rangers.

Leetch
deVries
Kasparaitis
Tytun
Purinton
Possibly Bryce Lampman could make the squad next year.
Didn't Lawrence Nycholat almost make the squad this year.

Those can be your top 7 for next year. (Mironov and Malakhov, who have been our best pair, should not be back).

Old
11-24-2003, 06:41 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
Poti is a sore subject (for me as a Ranger fan). First off, Mike York was an extremely popular player with the Rangers. One of the few players on the Rangers that the fans appreciated and applauded. From what I understand, Sather acquired Poti to prevent the Islanders from acquiring him (or at least that is one of the reasons). The fact that the popular Mike York was involved in the Poti deal already makes him a marked man (for lack of better words).

My question is, how do other fans view Poti? We tend to overrate our players for a trade but are the most critical when we watch them game in and out. Poti is atrocious defensively.

That being said, we'll take Joe Thorton for Poti and Petr Nedved! : )

Honestly, an early draft pick would make me happy. In this case, addition by subtraction for the Rangers.

Leetch
deVries
Kasparaitis
Tytun
Purinton
Possibly Bryce Lampman could make the squad next year.
Didn't Lawrence Nycholat almost make the squad this year.

Those can be your top 7 for next year. (Mironov and Malakhov, who have been our best pair, should not be back).
I'm a Ranger fan and couldn't careless that he was traded for York. That doesn't make him terrible defensively. Poti is the type of player you need to see over a period of time to really get disgusted with him because his flashy offensive style and skill will be of focus when judging him on sporadic 5-10 games. Unless you mean a high second, I think trading him for a pick is undervaluing him but still doable.

Old
11-24-2003, 08:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
And I'm telling you that I don't want him as part of the Rangers future.

A lot more than Gill and a 2nd? Methinks you overrate Poti's value around the league.

Closed Thread