HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Garrioch in the Hat

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2003, 03:54 AM
officeglen

vCash: 500
The Garrioch in the Hat

It’s been a rough weekend for Bruce, what if having to travel to two road games and some bitter disappointments. First, he found out the movie was not ‘the Fat in the Hat’. Next the only food in the Pits pressbox was salary sticks. Then he found he is spending the US Thanksgiving up here in Canada watching this year’s turkeys play the Canucks. Finally he found out that the Atkins diet was not the ‘eat all the meat you want and all the everything else you want to too’. Here’s his Sunday column, which doesn’t have much meat in it, but has lots of everything else too:
Rookie goalie facing a Fleury of activity

Some bones to chew on:

Quote:
Talk won't go away that the Senators are looking to move LW Petr Schastlivy. Some insiders say he could be sent to the Isles in exchange for C Dave Scatchard because New York is still trying to cut salary.
If only Mad Mike would be that big of a turkey. Well he certainly has shown the stuffing before, so I can only hope.
Quote:
Anybody need a goalie? The Leafs want to move G Trevor Kidd.
You got to be, err, joking? A goalie who last had a save percentage above .900 in 99-00 and has a shoulder injury? This should read the Leafs want to dump him.
Quote:
Speaking of netminders, before dealing to get G Mikka Kiprusoff from the Sharks last week, Calgary GM/coach Darryl Sutter made an interesting phone call. Sources say he spoke to Detroit GM Ken Holland about the possibility of acquiring G Curtis Joseph. Oh, there was just one hitch: The Flames wanted the Wings to pick up $5 million (all terms US) of Joseph's contract and that's when talks ended. There's talk the Oilers might make a pitch to get Joseph if they can find somebody to eat G Tommy Salo's contract.
The Oil will only want Detroit to pick up $6 million of Joseph’s contract. Not happening.
Quote:
Nashville is shopping C Denis Arkhipov. He has been a disappointment this year. Don't rule out the possibility of the Preds making a pitch for unsigned Edmonton C Mike Comrie. The Kings are continuing to pursue Comrie.
Please add Arkipov & stuff for Comrie proposals to the Comrie thread, which is dying out way before 1000 posts. The biggest advantage Arkhipov has is the letter A, which makes nice line names – put him between Smyth and Dvorak and you have the SAD line. Trade him to the Wild to play with Brunette and Dupuis and its BAD. Trade to Tampa to center Fedotenko and Taylor and you have the FAT line. Oh, sorry, all this hype on Cat in the Hat is getting to me.
Quote:
File this one under the 'I'll believe it when I see it category,' but it's out there: The talk is coach Paul Maurice is on thin ice in Carolina as he has been for eight years. But a strange name has surfaced as a replacement: Hurricanes C Ron Francis.
That would be very interesting, and as Garrioch notes, is very unlikely.
Quote:
There's talk the Rangers could move RW Matthew Barnaby to the Caps in exchange for G Olaf Kolzig.
”There’s talk” is Garrioch code for he read this somewhere on some forum. Unless Dunham’s day to day injury is month to month, this is somebody’s between the pipes dream.
Quote:
The Bruins are trying to move LW Rob Zamuner.
$2 million and too little, the Bruins are trying to move the one assist wonder but nobody needs a Z.
Quote:
In Florida, Dudley has RW Valeri Bure, RW Ivan Novoseltsev and LW Marcus Nilson on the trading block.
So being coach has shown Dudley the true value of these guys?
Quote:
The Flames have shown interest in Isles D Eric Cairns.
Do the Flames really want a $900K D who would play limited minutes? Just take your slowest player, paint him orange, and you can get the same pylon effect without paying anything more.
Quote:
The Rangers want to move D Tom Poti because they think he's too soft. The Thrashers and Bruins have shown interest, but don't have much to give in return.
When Sather traded for him, he thought he wasn’t soft? The Thrashers and Bruins could give something nice in return, but don’t want to.
Quote:
The Caps are willing to pick up $15 million of the $55-million that RW Jaromir Jagr has remaining on his contract to anybody willing to take him. The word is they'll have to eat close to $25 million to have a chance at making a deal.
In a separate Garrioch bonus column, Jagr leads his all-star bust team. See:
Bargains and busts

Have a nice turkey free Sunday.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:19 AM
CREW99AW

I loved the Garroich piece on Spector's last week,where they quote his column:the nyi have 'always coveted' Schastlivy.

I guess Garroich has forgotten the previous columns he's written in the last 2 yrs, where he wrote about the Sens offering Schastlivy for Izzy,for Scatchard,then at last yr's trade deadline for Weimer...only to have the nyi pass.

Shouldn't someone tell the nyi front office how much they covet' Schastlivy?

Old
11-23-2003, 04:22 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Quote: File this one under the 'I'll believe it when I see it category,' but it's out there: The talk is coach Paul Maurice is on thin ice in Carolina as he has been for eight years. But a strange name has surfaced as a replacement: Hurricanes C Ron Francis. That would be very interesting, and as Garrioch notes, is very unlikely.

Again, this just proves to me Garrioch reads fan message boards for his material. No matter how much the fans want this, Francis has said more than once he wants no part of coaching. There were reports that Maurice was on the outs with someone in the front office, but I'm sure their names doesn't end with "Rutherford" or "Karmanos". They don't have the balls to fire anyone.

Quote:
Quote: In Florida, Dudley has RW Valeri Bure, RW Ivan Novoseltsev and LW Marcus Nilson on the trading block.

Seriously, Garrioch needs to stop smoking that whacky stuff. Novoseltsev, maybe, but I doubt Bure & Nilson. Maybe a Panther fan can elaborate on this rumor...

Old
11-23-2003, 06:23 AM
regehr

i seriously doubt the caps would trade kolzig for barnaby.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:30 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

"There's talk the Rangers could move RW Matthew Barnaby to the Caps in exchange for G Olaf Kolzig."

Sorry, Bruce.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:18 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
It’s been a rough weekend for Bruce, what if having to travel to two road games and some bitter disappointments. First, he found out the movie was not ‘the Fat in the Hat’.
When I saw this thread title, "The Fat In The Hat" was the first thing I thought of. Somebody please get to work on Photoshopping up a Bruce Garrioch in giant hat avatar for Office Glen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
Please add Arkipov & stuff for Comrie proposals to the Comrie thread, which is dying out way before 1000 posts.
The unofficial useless thread is way ahead of you, my man! Arkhipov is in there somewhere, maybe somewhere in the 200-300 block of messages.

Old
11-23-2003, 08:02 AM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16

Again, this just proves to me Garrioch reads fan message boards for his material. No matter how much the fans want this, Francis has said more than once he wants no part of coaching. There were reports that Maurice was on the outs with someone in the front office, but I'm sure their names doesn't end with "Rutherford" or "Karmanos". They don't have the balls to fire anyone.

Seriously, Garrioch needs to stop smoking that whacky stuff. Novoseltsev, maybe, but I doubt Bure & Nilson. Maybe a Panther fan can elaborate on this rumor...
Unfortunately, Garrioch is pretty accurate on this one. Bure has been playing very well (5 G 7A in 11 games), well enough to make himself a tradable asset again. Cohen will jump at the chance of dumping a 3 mil per year contract. If he remains healthy and playing well, and the Panthers continue to be doormats, I suspect Val will be traded.

Nilson also could be had...although he's been playing more lately. He isn't a Dudley "guy". He was playing very little before all the injuries hit (Messier, Samuelsson, Cullen Hordichuk all hurt). I'd hate to see Nilson go, but Dudley is such an egomaniac that he will move him strictly because he didn't bring him to Florida himself.

Old
11-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
"There's talk the Rangers could move RW Matthew Barnaby to the Caps in exchange for G Olaf Kolzig."

Sorry, Bruce.
That has to be the worst Caps trade rumor I've seen yet, and there have been some doozies.

I checked out that Bargains and Busts column, and it reinforced Garrioch's strength as Master of the Obvious.

Among others, Re: Eric Lindros
Quote:
There's a belief that the concussions have taken away his edge.
Nah, you're kidding!

Old
11-23-2003, 10:24 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote: There's a belief that the concussions have taken away his edge.

Wow, I didn't realize Garrioch wrote that. Hmmmm, his material is message board fodder and recycled common sense. That's like saying "some say the sky is blue during daylight hours".

Old
11-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
I like how it says Lemieux is the reason Jagr was awesome in Pitts when Jagr won a ton of scoring titles after Mario's initial retirement....

Old
11-24-2003, 04:48 AM
CREW99AW

last week Garroich proposed a Schastlivy for Parrish deal,writing about how the nyi have always 'coveted Schlastvy'.

in his 11/23/03 column,Garroich suggest the nyi deal Scatchard for Schastlivy.

now one day later in his 11/24/03 SLAM column, Garroich reports:

SCHASTLIVY ON MOVE?
Sometimes, GMs have to shake the foundation of their roster to make it clear they're not happy with what's going on. But a significant move would mean a lot more than just sending Schastlivy somewhere for future considerations or waiving him outright.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:56 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
lol, of course the Rags need another goalie. I mean, they've ONLY got three goalies who can play.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:57 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
last week Garroich proposed a Schastlivy for Parrish deal,writing about how the nyi have always 'coveted Schlastvy'.

in his 11/23/03 column,Garroich suggest the nyi deal Scatchard for Schastlivy.

now one day later in his 11/24/03 SLAM column, Garroich reports:

SCHASTLIVY ON MOVE?
Sometimes, GMs have to shake the foundation of their roster to make it clear they're not happy with what's going on. But a significant move would mean a lot more than just sending Schastlivy somewhere for future considerations or waiving him outright.
Garroich is a funny guy. He seems to have great sources, and breaks deals before anybody else does. But, then he also seems to engage in the same sort of wishful thinking that you see on chatboards. The amount of interest he suggested in players like Schastlivy, Arvedsson, and "Mac" over the years has been grossly unrealistic. But, he'll also report a deal weeks before it goes down. That is why he is frustrating - I never know what to believe in his columns.

11-24-2003, 08:13 AM
Seedy

Bruce Garrioch the columnist

Old
11-24-2003, 08:25 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Garroich is a funny guy. He seems to have great sources, and breaks deals before anybody else does. But, then he also seems to engage in the same sort of wishful thinking that you see on chatboards. The amount of interest he suggested in players like Schastlivy, Arvedsson, and "Mac" over the years has been grossly unrealistic. But, he'll also report a deal weeks before it goes down. That is why he is frustrating - I never know what to believe in his columns.

I'm sure Garroich does have some sources,but he makes himself look like the biggest homer shilling for the Sens,trying to make it seem as if their players with low trade value(Schastlivy and Mac),were being highly sought after.

Old
11-24-2003, 09:24 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I'm sure Garroich does have some sources,but he makes himself look like the biggest homer shilling for the Sens,trying to make it seem as if their players with low trade value(Schastlivy and Mac),were being highly sought after.

Yeah, that is always the issue I've had with him as well.

Old
11-24-2003, 08:40 PM
kidchrome

Quote: It says here Vancouver D Ed Jovanovski will be a Norris Trophy candidate

Now that is going out on a limb, Bruce .
Firstly, He IS Norris material and b) You can say that about 20 d-men in the league in NOVEMBER!!! Needed those extra 13 words for a quota there Bruce???
Should've said : It says here Atlanta F Ilya Kovalchuk will be in the running for the Richard trophy.
Thanks, have a nice Sunday

Closed Thread