HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF things don't change soon...

Old
10-31-2006, 10:35 PM
nickrOck

vCash: 500
IF things don't change soon...

Just a general question not making suggestions so don't blast me here.. Just curious as to what everyone else thinks about this..

If the team does'nt turn it around soon, what do you think comes first..

Possibly Renney being fired.
A major trade.
Or slowly trade off some veterans.

Also how long before Sather decides to make a move before we fall too far behind..

BTW the home ice play better improve.. some putrid home ice play..

Last edited by nickrOck: 10-31-2006 at 10:58 PM.
nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Balej20*

He'll probably make a move soon in an attempt to turn around the season...If that doesn't work and they continue down this path of mediocrity (They are a team that is floating around .500, although we make it sound like they are the worst team in the NHL), then I could possibly see some of the vets being dealt if there are any takers.

I honestly don't think this team is going to be "bad" enough to allow Sather to trade away his vets though. They will at worst hover around the 7th, 8th playoff spot, which wont allow any selling off of vets to occur.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

If things don't improve soon, I suspect that Sather will start making one or very possibly several moves very quickly. If the moves he makes doesn't improve things quickly, then everyones' job will be on the line. After the success the organization had, another sell off would be an admission of defeat--that building around Jagr did not improve the situation of the franchise. I don't think that's going to happen. Management thinks they put together a contender with this team and I wonder how they could possibly sell Dolan on another firesale.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:41 PM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrOck View Post
Possibly Renney being fired.
Not even an option imo. He has done too much for this organization last year to get the axe anytime soon.

Hopefully the team will make a few callups before trading anyone. Some of our guys down in the farm can't be any worse than what we have now on defense, might as well develop the kids a little.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:43 PM
Kingswin

I think your team will make it to the playoffs just fine.. By the look of the kings game it just looked like your team needed to work on the little things like winning the puck on the boards

Kingswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:53 PM
jnyr

Thanks alot, kingswin, even though I live in an area that doesn't let me see too many games, I appreciate to hear some eoncouraging news like that.

From what I've heard and read, offense doesnt seem to be a problem, and goaltending will only be as good as the defense in front of it.

If I was to guess what will happen or should happen, I would say Rachunek will be moved, Dawes might be sent down. I would like to see Malik sent down with Kasper, possibly Rosival moved too. The only other trade I would make would be tossing in Hossa with one of the defenseman to get a better deal in return, and hopefully dump some of our problems at the same time.

jnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
Hopefully the team will make a few callups before trading anyone. Some of our guys down in the farm can't be any worse than what we have now on defense, might as well develop the kids a little.
How can you bring anyone up without making a roster move? The only player you can send down (without clearing waivers) is Dawes. And, in any case, this year is not about giving "the kids" experience, it's about winning games in the playoffs.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 04:23 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Sadly, Hartford has been much worse than the big club. Barring trades outside the organization, we're stuck figuring it out with the crew we've got now - until either we get it right or the guys in HFD start remembering that they're talented prospects.

(Not that that doesn't mean I wouldn't put Dawes back in, sit Rozsie, Malik and Rachunek in alternating games and move Betts back down to 4th line...)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 05:33 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Thought you guys looked really good against the Leafs. It was a very entertaining game.

Good luck on your season Ranger fans

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:36 AM
nickrOck

well we certainly need to split these 2 road games at worst.. but i have a hard time believing we can do that right now..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 08:07 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Nice to see old-fashioned panic setting in. Should Renney get fired? The first coach to bring the Rangers to the playoffs in eight years gets more than an eleven game sample to justify such a move. Should the Rangers make a major trade? Considering the hole in the lineup next to Shanahan on the 2nd line (i.e., center), I'd like to see one, unless the Rangers brass are convinced Dubinsky is ready (which I'm doubting right now. And, forget Immonen; if he didn't warrant a look coming out of camp based upon last year's performance, I doubt he's done anything to change that opinion of him so far.) Will the Rangers start moving off vets? Well, the Kaspar situation could provide an answer. Everyone seems to think it's just a conditioning stint, but, Kaspar himself isn't so sure. Personally, I still never understood why the Rangers brought back Rozsival, and now, he looks like the D-man we had always suspected him to be, and what Pens' fans warned us that he was.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 09:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Judging by history with this regime, as long as the Rangers can sniff the 8 spot, there's not a lot that will change.

11-01-2006, 09:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I can hear Sathers monotone droning going something like this in response to Dolan's question of where this team is right now...

Dolan: Hey Slats, how was that golf game yesterday??

Sather: Ok, an 89, too much damn wind.

Dolan: Ahh yeah, Those cigars i got ya?

Sather: Oh... excellent Jimmy - we sucked those down, whered you get those again?

Dolan: Down on 5th, from that guy. Hey by the way, whats up with the team?

Sather: Oh don't worry we'll be fine, theyll turn it around in no time.

Dolan:
Ok

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 09:42 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswin View Post
I think your team will make it to the playoffs just fine.. By the look of the kings game it just looked like your team needed to work on the little things like winning the puck on the boards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Thought you guys looked really good against the Leafs. It was a very entertaining game.

Good luck on your season Ranger fans
I guess if we ever stepped back and didnt look at it from a typical Rangers fan point of view, we would find that its really not that bad. It could be worse: if the Rangers lost the 2 shootouts it would be really ugly.

Alot of other teams have run into their problems so far this early season.

It looks bad right now, but only because everyone is projecting the Rangers to play like this all season.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Out of all those possibilities I can see maybe one Dman leave and who knows what we will get back in return. Some people I know will be happy with a pick other want a quality Dman in return. Who knows what will happen though.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Fletch

jas...

I somewhat agree, but the sample is bigger if you start from the Olympics break, include the playoffs, and continue to now.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 01:28 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Judging by history with this regime, as long as the Rangers can sniff the 8 spot, there's not a lot that will change.
Clearly the problem of the past. Thus, the team needs to fall out of contention by a large margin. The next two drafts are supposedly very deep. A courageous G.M. might determine that trading the czech posse,sans Prucha, might help accelerate the team's return to the playoffs on a regular basis. The last thing I want is to trade for veterans and give away youth to obtain the chance of once again being swept out of the playoffs

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 01:39 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Clearly the problem of the past. Thus, the team needs to fall out of contention by a large margin.
Those that do not learn from history........
Quote:
The next two drafts are supposedly very deep. A courageous G.M. might determine that trading the czech posse,sans Prucha, might help accelerate the team's return to the playoffs on a regular basis.
Honestly I do not know how that really can make a difference. The thought of Sather making any first round pick absolutely petrifies me.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:11 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I somewhat agree, but the sample is bigger if you start from the Olympics break, include the playoffs, and continue to now.
I don't know if I agree with that, Fletch. You do have new additions to this team, with some players taking on different roles, while others are trying to find their place. I thought management addressed some of the needs by adding a few more N/S players, but i don't think renney has properly integrated them yet. I'll admit that I was surprised to see Rozsival brought back, especially given the pattern of players let go or moved in the off-season (i.e., dreadful in the POs). So to see him and Malik so awfu so far is not really shocking (they were exposed against the Debbies.) I also think it's time that Renney abandons the "Betts on a line with Shanahan" experiment ends, with Betts returning to 4th line center, flanked by Hollweg and Ward. Cullen should be Rucchin's replacement..on the 3rd line flanked by either Prucha (if he's not traded) or Dawes and Hall. The problem then becomes the 2nd line (actually, you might say the 1st line). Shanahan needs a quality play-making center. By putting either Cullen or Betts there, you not placing people in roles they can be successful.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:35 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I don't know if I agree with that, Fletch. You do have new additions to this team, with some players taking on different roles, while others are trying to find their place. I thought management addressed some of the needs by adding a few more N/S players, but i don't think renney has properly integrated them yet. I'll admit that I was surprised to see Rozsival brought back, especially given the pattern of players let go or moved in the off-season (i.e., dreadful in the POs). So to see him and Malik so awfu so far is not really shocking (they were exposed against the Debbies.) I also think it's time that Renney abandons the "Betts on a line with Shanahan" experiment ends, with Betts returning to 4th line center, flanked by Hollweg and Ward. Cullen should be Rucchin's replacement..on the 3rd line flanked by either Prucha (if he's not traded) or Dawes and Hall. The problem then becomes the 2nd line (actually, you might say the 1st line). Shanahan needs a quality play-making center. By putting either Cullen or Betts there, you not placing people in roles they can be successful.

I want Dubinsky on the 2nd line. Why is Staal not on this team? Why is Dubinsky not on this team? We have 8 players that start that have zero offensive skill. Then we have 5 players on D with no ability to defend. Therein lies the problem. There is a reason the team was playing so well in preseason. We need to trim the fat and do it soon.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I want Dubinsky on the 2nd line. Why is Staal not on this team? Why is Dubinsky not on this team? We have 8 players that start that have zero offensive skill. Then we have 5 players on D with no ability to defend. Therein lies the problem. There is a reason the team was playing so well in preseason. We need to trim the fat and do it soon.
Becuase Dubinsky only has 2 points in 7 games in Hartford, needs to gain some confidence, and get on a little roll before being ready for NY....And Stall was brutalized in the AHL POs last year and is nowhere near ready for the NHL....

I agree we need to trim the fat, but we can't do it until the kids are ready to contribute...Hopefully that will be soon with Dubinsky and Renney finally stops the auditions and plugs in Pock (Take your pick) and Dawes (hossa)..other then that, there's not much right now..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:45 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Those that do not learn from history........

Honestly I do not know how that really can make a difference. The thought of Sather making any first round pick absolutely petrifies me.
How about the luck of the dumb? I'm not too disappointed with our last two first rounders. We certainly should not revisit Jessiman. Nevertheless, our scouting staff has improved and I'm certainly ready to roll the dice on drafting a stud center or wing

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:53 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers have less than $20 million committed for 2007-08 which includes Michael Nylander's player option.The cap will increase slightly for next season-$1 or $2 million.Their only big group II is Henrik Lundqvist

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Fletch

jas...

for me the base team has been there since last season. If anything, the team's improved personnel-wise, or at least Sather attempted to improve it, but still looks like the team from the last couple months moreso than the team in the first several. Renney's gameplan is the same too. I think any team will look a bit different than it ended - such as consecutive rosters from 1997-2004, but you don't necessarily say that each year is different, it pretty much flows one into the next.

Old
11-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Fletch

Rangerboy...

is that a good thing or a bad thing? That implies that the Rangers may have to go out and spend money again to build a team (or that the Rangers have cheap players). The obvious hope is that Staal, Dubinsky and others can contribute, but this team will to either resign guys, hoping to get similar prices, or go out and replace them and replacing their production may prove costly.