HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Peca and possibilities for a trade

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Peca and possibilities for a trade

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I suspect that the Isles couldn't trade Peca if they wanted to. Peca is making 4.25 million this year, 4.25 next year, and 5 the following year. With payrolls as high as they are right now, there are probably only three or four teams that could afford to add him. And, if you are laying out that kind of cash, the return will need to be more than a checking center (Peca's offensive game has been close to nil lately).

The Isles may eventually wind up getting rid of his contract, but I believe that they would not get much more than a pick and/or second tier prospect in return.

I'll take this one step further, I think there are only a handful of players in the NHL who make more than 4 million and still have trade value.

Its one thing to spent a bushload on a true franchise player (e.g., Chris Pronger, Forsberg, Naslund, etc) but the days of being able to hand out 4 million contracts to the Pecas of the NHL may be over.

Old
11-22-2003, 03:05 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
true, but his their true leader, an his vital to them.

but its only this season contracts have been shortened to $5mill for a massivly high priced player.

Old
11-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Peca for Tucker?

Old
11-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Sabot55

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I suspect that the Isles couldn't trade Peca if they wanted to. Peca is making 4.25 million this year, 4.25 next year, and 5 the following year. With payrolls as high as they are right now, there are probably only three or four teams that could afford to add him. And, if you are laying out that kind of cash, the return will need to be more than a checking center (Peca's offensive game has been close to nil lately).

The Isles may eventually wind up getting rid of his contract, but I believe that they would not get much more than a pick and/or second tier prospect in return.

I'll take this one step further, I think there are only a handful of players in the NHL who make more than 4 million and still have trade value.

Its one thing to spent a bushload on a true franchise player (e.g., Chris Pronger, Forsberg, Naslund, etc) but the days of being able to hand out 4 million contracts to the Pecas of the NHL may be over.
It's sad that any team has to get rid of a Mike Peca-type player because of economics. Peca should have never commanded that kind of money in the first place. Hopefully for all of us the new CBA squares this away.

Old
11-22-2003, 04:24 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabot55
It's sad that any team has to get rid of a Mike Peca-type player because of economics. Peca should have never commanded that kind of money in the first place. Hopefully for all of us the new CBA squares this away.

One of these days you are going to post something that I actually disagree with!

This sums up the way I see it as well. Sad that $ is the issue here, and he should never have gotten that silly contract.

Old
11-22-2003, 04:35 PM
Patty Roy

I disagree with you Darth. I think Peca is one of those 4 million plus players who would still garner quite a bit of interest around the league. The intangibles he brings to the table would be in high demand, especially by a number of the bigger market clubs.

Speaking from a Habs standpoint, i'm certain they would have interest in Peca. They were strongly rumored to have interest in him a few years ago, but it was obvious that Buffalo had no interest in trading him to a division rival. If Peca was offered to Montreal for say Marcel Hossa or a 2nd round pick or something in that range, well i think they would be all over it.

Old
11-22-2003, 04:42 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy
I disagree with you Darth. I think Peca is one of those 4 million plus players who would still garner quite a bit of interest around the league. The intangibles he brings to the table would be in high demand, especially by a number of the bigger market clubs.

Speaking from a Habs standpoint, i'm certain they would have interest in Peca. They were strongly rumored to have interest in him a few years ago, but it was obvious that Buffalo had no interest in trading him to a division rival. If Peca was offered to Montreal for say Marcel Hossa or a 2nd round pick or something in that range, well i think they would be all over it.
Yeah, but that is not a lot to get back,especially considering what the Isles paid. I agree that would be the going price, if the Habs were willing to step up. But, the reason the Isles seem unwilling to put Peca on table is probably because they couldn't get more than this in return. Its not that they need Peca so badly - it is that Peca doesn't have much in the way of trade value right now.

Old
11-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
Peca for Tucker?

no one responded to my smart ass reply

Old
11-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
no one responded to my smart ass reply

Heh-heh. Well, we like you too much to flame you!

Old
11-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

Quote:
Heh-heh. Well, we like you too much to flame you!
:p

Old
11-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Jones23

Peca's trade value come the deadline would be huge compared to what it is now.Imagine Colorado,Detroit,Ottawa,Philly,Vancouver,Jersey all knowing that Peca is available at the deadline.This is a player that could very well be a player that gets a team over the hump to win the Cup and I'm sure all contending teams GM knows that.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Coffey77

You think Peca's trade value is low Darth? Like how low? We aren't talking salary dump a la Kovalev or Bure right? I think he would generate some interest among some teams.

I could definitely see Detroit being interested in a guy like him since they haven't/can't replace Fedorov. But they don't have much to offer.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Certainly smart NHL GMs who are "start-struck" see more value in Michael Peca than is expressed a few in this thread. (Better to be star-struck with established NHL players than infactuated with prepubecent youth, Weinie.) Oddly, people who are not NYI fans seem to have the best grasp of his value to a winning team.

Put Peca in a winning, successful atmosphere with a quality team and he would flourish. Overpaid? When the ceiling for hybrid 2nd/3rd line centers is set at $9M, he's a bargain. :p

Could he get dumped by NYI? Absolutely. Right now, it would likely be for some "prospectitis package" of futures that Weinie types crave. :p (In which case, the team will certainly miss the playoffs, get a high draft pick, and draft another shiny prospect! Yippeeee! )Come March, Peca's value would increase.

Funny how solid, proven NHLers like Muller and Peca come to Long Island and quickly gain a poor reputation. But sounds like at least one or more of NYI's fans would love to promote the entire AHL squad right now. Some fans get the team they deserve.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Certainly smart NHL GMs who are "start-struck" see more value in Michael Peca than is expressed a few in this thread. (Better to be star-struck with established NHL players than infactuated with prepubecent youth, Weinie.) Oddly, people who are not NYI fans seem to have the best grasp of his value to a winning team.

Put Peca in a winning, successful atmosphere with a quality team and he would flourish. Overpaid? When the ceiling for hybrid 2nd/3rd line centers is set at $9M, he's a bargain. :p

Could he get dumped by NYI? Absolutely. Right now, it would likely be for some "prospectitis package" of futures that Weinie types crave. :p (In which case, the team will certainly miss the playoffs, get a high draft pick, and draft another shiny prospect! Yippeeee! )Come March, Peca's value would increase.

Funny how solid, proven NHLers like Muller and Peca come to Long Island and quickly gain a poor reputation. But sounds like at least one or more of NYI's fans would love to promote the entire AHL squad right now. Some fans get the team they deserve.
Get used to it Trottier. A lot of fans on this board are bias against older players. Being a Red Wings fan, I hear this all the time. For more than a decade too. I guess 3 Stanley Cups isn't enough to convince people.

And Peca's only 29. He's still in his prime. I'd love to have a guy like that on Detroit. Or Jason Weimer (who is kind of like McCarty) for that matter.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:30 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeca
Peca's trade value come the deadline would be huge compared to what it is now.Imagine Colorado,Detroit,Ottawa,Philly,Vancouver,Jersey all knowing that Peca is available at the deadline.This is a player that could very well be a player that gets a team over the hump to win the Cup and I'm sure all contending teams GM knows that.

Flyers would have no interest, especially at that price tag.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:37 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Get used to it Trottier. A lot of fans on this board are bias against older players. Being a Red Wings fan, I hear this all the time. For more than a decade too. I guess 3 Stanley Cups isn't enough to convince people.

And Peca's only 29. He's still in his prime. I'd love to have a guy like that on Detroit. Or Jason Weimer (who is kind of like McCarty) for that matter.
So true. It's that "3 Stanley Cups" reference that so often gets overlooked by those who equate "success" with "young". Most ironic thing is, Detroit over the last three seasons prior to this one introduced (slowly and correctly) three of the better young players in the league: Fischer, Zett and Dats.

Here's the latest Isle trade offer from a certain NYI fan:

Peca (the washed up bum)
Parrish
Hamrlik

for

Old
11-22-2003, 06:40 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:

Here's the latest Isle trade offer from a certain NYI fan:

Peca (the washed up bum)
Parrish
Hamrlik

for
I think Milbury would have to throw in a 3rd.

Old
11-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
You think Peca's trade value is low Darth? Like how low? We aren't talking salary dump a la Kovalev or Bure right? I think he would generate some interest among some teams.

I could definitely see Detroit being interested in a guy like him since they haven't/can't replace Fedorov. But they don't have much to offer.

I do think his trade value is relatively low, yes. But NOT because I think he is washed up or old. I think he has quite a few years ahead of him. I think Peca will be effective, at least in a defensive role, for a long time to come. However, I think his trade value will be dictated by the NHL economic situation. I just don't think there are many teams that can suck up those kind of $ right now.

Old
11-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:

I think you know that I don't agree with that other posters' perspective on Peca. But, here is my question, how many teams have room on their payroll? If the Isles were forced to trade him, how many teams could add the 13 million left on his contract?

I actually think the Isles could get more for Janne N. or Hamrlik, because they will probably sign for less.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Coffey77

Quote:
I think you know that I don't agree with that other posters' perspective on Peca. But, here is my question, how many teams have room on their payroll? If the Isles were forced to trade him, how many teams could add the 13 million left on his contract?

I actually think the Isles could get more for Janne N. or Hamrlik, because they will probably sign for less.
I kind of agree with you on Niinimaa and Hamrlik. IMO, quality d-men are harder to find than quality forwards.

Peca's contract would certainly scare off some teams, but even at 4 million I think he would generate interest among cup contenders.

If I were an Islander fan, I would be upset. After several seasons of going on a low payroll, the Islanders spent some money and got a lot better (although they went overboard on Yashin). Now, it looks like they want to go back

Old
11-22-2003, 08:08 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

There are several teams that should have a fair amount of room under any salary-cap that might be in the next CBA, and those teams might be willing to take on Peca's contract at the trade-deadline as well.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:25 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

the kings are rumored to be picking up straka for a 2nd....his salary is about 4.3 mil...i'd rather have peca than straka...but how many years does straka have left on his contract? and has peca has been realy quiet since his leg injury

Old
11-22-2003, 08:29 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
To Buffalo: Peca
To NYI: Connoly, 1st rounder

(we're keeping Pyatt)

Old
11-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
To Buffalo: Peca
To NYI: Connoly, 1st rounder

(we're keeping Pyatt)

I hope that both guys turn out great for the Sabres.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:30 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
I...as a Sens fan...would KILL to get Peca on the Sens. I dont' know who I'd offer up because of the salary "thing" on the Island.

Darth...lay it on me...whaddya want buddy?

Closed Thread