Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Report: Iginla unhappy with Sutter/Flames

Old
11-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

vCash: 500
Report: Iginla unhappy with Sutter/Flames

-Doesn't like the direction the Flames are headed in.

-Doesn't think the Flames are good enough to compete with the 'big boys' in the NHL.

-Still bitter over the whole Craig Conroy fiasco.

-Too classy to ask for a trade.. though may not stick around after the 2007-'08 season.

Source: Darren Dreger/TSN.

Thoughts?? I don't think it bodes well when your leader is questioning the resolve of the hockey team. Something's gotta give!

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
I don't blame him. If I was in his shoes, I'd want out too.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:24 PM
PuckNut

Did Dreger say that tonight? Can't say I'd be surprised, but if Iginla let that leak, isn't that as good as asking for a trade?

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Java

Source:

Icbites frustrated and bandwagon brain.

Is it any coincidence that Icbites is the first person to post this?
Jarome has nothing but love for Calgary and the flames. I'll believe it when I see it.

Java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

have anyone else saw this clip about iginla? thanks.

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:32 PM
mac_82

Just watched the highlites on TSN and didn't see any mention.

mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
If the flames miss the playoffs i can see a big trade .. with iginla leaving calgary.. and in return a few "good" scoring players.. 1st round pick.. so it can change the way this team is..

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

even darren really did say it, i think he is just BSing. I dont see why iginla would want out.

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:36 PM
haQ Loob

I've had TSN on all night here at work, and my ears would've perked up if I heard Dreger say something like this. Jarome eats at an Indian restaurant I go to, and the impression everyone around him gets is that he loves this city and wants to bring us a cup.

They may not be winning, but he still looks like he's working hard to get us there most of the time.

Say it ain't so.

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Does anyone have a actual source other then icbites saying he said it. Because if not lets close this already.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
Does anyone have a actual source other then icbites saying he said it. Because if not lets close this already.
Yeah, you're right. I'll re-open it if I see this on TV.

EDIT: Apparently, Dreger did mention Iginla as possibly being part of a blockbuster deal. However, he only said that Iginla was rumoured not to like the make-up of the team, and that Iginla's a UFA after next season. Therefore, I'm re-opening the thread, even though most of what the OP wrote was not mentioned at all.

Last edited by Dogbert*: 11-02-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
However, he only said that Iginla was rumoured not to like the make-up of the team, and that Iginla's a UFA after next season.
Iggy's been complaining about the make-up of this hockey team since training camp. Apparently Sutter hasn't taken the clue yet.

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 10:51 AM
mapletoft

Doesn't surprise me! I wonder ifsome other guys feel the same way!

mapletoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:03 AM
ComixZone

Sutter and Jarome have always been on the same page when it comes to one thing - what's good for the team. Jarome has stated several times he loves this city, so I'll take his word on that and say he's not only not going to be traded - but when his contract is up, I like the odds of him signing an appropriate contract to stay with the Flames.

On to the blockbuster type rumours that are floating around with Ottawa....

They want Dion playing upwards of 30 minutes, same with Regehr...well, if you've paid attention to the Flames so far, you'd notice that Dion and Robyn don't exactly compliment each other. I say Robyn is leaving town...also, anyone else notice how Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza haven't been able to regain their form from last season? Perhaps....?

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:12 AM
nashnaidoo

I'm so curious about this I almost took Icbites off of ignore. Almost.

nashnaidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool View Post
On to the blockbuster type rumours that are floating around with Ottawa....
The person creating these rumors is blowing smoke. I haven't seen a legitimate rumor come from that website and he's the only nutjob claiming that the Flames and Senators are in talks.

Despite this, I do not doubt that Sutter is listening to offers from other GMs, looking at the offers he hopes to build upon. Hopefully he's looking at getting a skilled agitator, someone who can fire the team up from the inside, though I doubt I would like the price for such a player.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:52 AM
redsox18

I saw it, it was on That's Hockey. He listed off the five big name guys likely to be traded that are playing on Canadian teams. 5. Smyth, 4. Alfie, 3. Naslund, 2. Sundin, 1. Iginla. I have to admit I like Dreger and he's a pretty insightful guy, and being from Edmonton we heard these rumblings about Pronger last year and were all in denial, and if I'm not mistaken it came from Dreger on Hockeycentral. Well now I've learned where there is smoke there is fire, this is more than likely true.

redsox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 12:03 PM
copperandblue

This will no doubt go over like a lead balloon and in no way speaks to the supposed rumour but is trading Iginla really such a bad idea?

Reason I ask this is because there seems to be so much attention directed towards Iginla that it almost seems to be over ruling the whole team concept thing.

When he scores, he is put on a higher pedestal than any other guy in the same situation on the team.

When he is struggling he is held to an accountability that no one else seems to be held at.

When the Flames seem to be in a need of more goals, the talk centers around needing to find someone to compliment Iginla.

From an outsiders point of view it just seems like it's become an almost unnatural fit.

Sometimes the tough trade has to be considered and sometimes even when at first glance it looks like a bad move, it results in a net gain sooner than anyone thinks it will. Add in optimium trade value, which Iginla probably has right now, and maybe it isn't such a poor consideration?

Just my two cents....

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 12:10 PM
JiriHrdina

Not that I'm telling the mods how to do their jobs, but mirepresenting what a member of the media says, as icbites did here, is very dangerous business.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 12:19 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool View Post
Sutter and Jarome have always been on the same page when it comes to one thing - what's good for the team. Jarome has stated several times he loves this city, so I'll take his word on that and say he's not only not going to be traded - but when his contract is up, I like the odds of him signing an appropriate contract to stay with the Flames.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Iginla say this summer that he would sign with whatever team offered him a decent contract, including Edmonton?

Old
11-02-2006, 12:41 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon_44 View Post
If the flames miss the playoffs i can see a big trade .. with iginla leaving calgary.. and in return a few "good" scoring players.. 1st round pick.. so it can change the way this team is..
How does Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau sound?

TJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF View Post
How does Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau sound?
Worse than syphilis!

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 12:59 PM
glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox18 View Post
I saw it, it was on That's Hockey. He listed off the five big name guys likely to be traded that are playing on Canadian teams. 5. Smyth, 4. Alfie, 3. Naslund, 2. Sundin, 1. Iginla. I have to admit I like Dreger and he's a pretty insightful guy, and being from Edmonton we heard these rumblings about Pronger last year and were all in denial, and if I'm not mistaken it came from Dreger on Hockeycentral. Well now I've learned where there is smoke there is fire, this is more than likely true.
Unless I'm missing something..why would the Oilers trade Smyth?? If Oilers were completely out mid-way through the season maybe..even that would be a big maybe...

glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 01:04 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Iginla say this summer that he would sign with whatever team offered him a decent contract, including Edmonton?
if he said it I would guess it would be a friend of a friend thing

it would be highly unusual to think of an example where a highly paid Captain of a team on a long term contract would say that two years later he might sign with a divisional rival

I doubt he said that on the record

looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 01:14 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
if he said it I would guess it would be a friend of a friend thing

it would be highly unusual to think of an example where a highly paid Captain of a team on a long term contract would say that two years later he might sign with a divisional rival

I doubt he said that on the record
I'm pretty sure you're right, but I thought I'd read that somewhere. Probably just remembering someone writing they heard he'd do that. I knew if it had been said, you guys would remember. Thanks.