HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

November 2nd Game thoughts

Old
11-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
November 2nd Game thoughts

I've been very impressed the last two games by how the team played.

I think a big part of this success is due to the fact the 2nd line seems to be forming chemistry and every player seems to be in the right place.

Offense:

Koivu: Good game, he showed some nice moves today and worked hard. I like how he's becoming a sound positional player, he doens't have the skill he used to and he's adapting.

Higgins: Him and Kovalev I thought we're the best forwards tonight. He has this great combination of speed, puck handling, strength, work ethic and hand eye coordination that make him a one of a kind player. I've always liked him since his first WJC, but never thought he would become such a smart player.

Ryder: I didn't notice him that much, but he didn't do any bad either. I guess that's what you want from a sniper, he had a few chances.

Perezhogin: His speed, hands and forchecking ability make him very valuable. He also shows a good work ethic during games. With time, the chances will convert.

Samsonov: He's becoming better every game, he's looked dangerous almost every time he has the puck lately. I never saw him as an intense player but he seems to be in that mold. I can understand why he was a fan favorite in Boston.

Kovalev: It seems the center position fits him perfectly. I'm biased towards Kovalev, I don't mind admitting it, I believe he's the most purely skilled player I've ever seen. That said, I thought he played supbar up until lately. He's been very aware in his own zone and he's been carrying the play on his shoulder. He looks like he did last year, which is a good thing. We can only hope he continues like this. There are a lot of similarities between him and Fedorov.

Bonk: He wasn't as good as usual, but he did his job nonetheless. I think if the hurricanes came out stronger, his line might've had problems. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

Johnson: A steal if I ever saw one, this player is an important part of this team. Every line he's on gels immideatly and his goal was a beauty.

Latendresse: He still needs seasonning, but he's steadily improving.

Begin: He's looked better the last two games after a tough start. I think it might have to do with his injury.

Downey: Did not notice him.

Plekanec: He's in a spot where he can succeed and where he's clearly comfortable. His anticipation and stickplay on the pk gives the Canadiens another key player with Higgins.

Defense:

Niinimaa: He's not very good, he's prone to brain camps and he doesn't have much offensive skills. That said, I have a hard time criticizing players who give it their all every game. He has a lot of character and he tries his best, that's good enough for me. Of course, that also means he'll most likely be cut first when everyone's healthy.

Streit: Again, he's not the best, but no one expects him to be. I thought he did a number of mistakes decision wise but you can see he has a skill set to work with. He still gets outmuscled frequently along the boards and down low and I'm skeptic when it comes to defensemen like that.

Markov: Very solid, good passes, especially the one to Koivu. He's been improving since the start of the year.

Komisarek: He's developped his physical game to the point where players are scared of him *looks towards Walker*. He's quickly becoming that big defencemen the Canadiens have been despretly seeking for years now.

Rivet: His best game of the season bar none. He looked like last year, like a legit top 4 defencemen.

Souray: I thought the Hurricanes didn't challenge him much and he always looks good when that happens. The defence in general was solid.

Huet: Good game, 2nd in a row.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:54 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
Begin: He's looked better the last two games after a tough start. I think it might have to do with his injury
he's on the wing now and playing with pleks, you'll notice more of him becuase of that, not to mention as the season goes on and intensity rises he steps up his game.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:54 PM
AH

But the God damn penalties .. What the hell is going on?

It's scary to think how much better this team can be IF they only played more minutes 5 on 5. :bandhead

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Pierre Houde*

We're the beasts of the mutha****in east!

Cette equipe serait extrement difficilie a battre.

Pierre Houde* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:58 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post

It's scary to think how much better this team can be IF they only played more minutes 5 on 5. :bandhead
yeah they could be a little more disciplined but carolina dove all game, not to mention one of them locked his arm pits over komi's stick and the ref fell right for it... komi was freek'n pissed.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers View Post
he's on the wing now and playing with pleks, you'll notice more of him becuase of that, not to mention as the season goes on and intensity rises he steps up his game.
Begin's first season he was mostly centering the third and fourth line and he didn't seem out of place in that position. This was in the old NHL mind you and the defensive abilities of players weren't as flagrant as they are now. That said, I do recall Juneau getting injured and Begin replacing him for 2 games in which he looked like a definite upgrade. I do agree though, with how the NHL is played these days, a player that can't have too much responsibility like Begin looks good on the wing. It was a wise move to put Plekanec on the fourth line.

Old
11-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Little Nilan

I also have another comment about the coaching staff. Ever since Gainey and Carbonneau got behind the bench, I've been noticing every player become smarter and more mature on the ice. Julien was a great system coach, he did a lot of things team wise, but Gainey and Carbonneau seem to belong to the old tradition of the Habs. In other words, they're good teachers of Hockey. I always enjoy hearing Chelios talk about how the Canadiens we're the "Harvard" of hockey. This makes me an optimist for the future.

Old
11-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
are there any sites to find how the special teams were doing at this time last season?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:17 PM
oli500

Quote:

Actualy I persoaly think the habs play better on the pk. They dont seem to do much on offense when there 5 on 5. Hell the way there scoring goals on the pk I would say to them, keep your sticks in the air and keep tripping

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:20 PM
StanAjax

Quote:

Are you sure ?

We're 13 GF - 1 GA on the PP, 6-6 on PK...and 23-28 even strength.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:24 PM
greatlakeshab

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
Actualy I persoaly think the habs play better on the pk. They dont seem to do much on offense when there 5 on 5. Hell the way there scoring goals on the pk I would say to them, keep your sticks in the air and keep tripping
Forget the tripping punch your opponents in the mouth. After Montreal scores shorthanded it will hurt twice as much.

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
I was going to say, maybe when we are 5 on 5 we could play like we are on the PK and keep one man up at the opponents' blueline. This could change the face of hockey as we know it!

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:26 PM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Houde View Post
We're the beasts of the mutha****in east!

Cette equipe serait extrement difficilie a battre.
Although I agree we will be hard to beat...were not the best in the east. Have you forgotten that BUFFALO is an eastern conferance teams?

Im not saying we aint good, but we dont match up to Buffalo yet.

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:28 PM
David_99

Quote:
I agree, keep the penalties coming!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:50 PM
David_99

Poor Ray Whitney was on the ice for at least 3 of those goals, including the 2 short handed.

Though this is not directly about the Habs, it still feels good

PS
How bad are the Bruins? Sheesh.

PPS
Huet is good.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Strazzobosco

I think we are forgetting one important fact;
it WAS Carolina's second game in two nights; they were exhausted after fighting the Thrashers the night before.
I wouldn't read much into this game; we decidively destroyed a very tired team.

Strazzobosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
Are you sure ?

We're 13 GF - 1 GA on the PP, 6-6 on PK...and 23-28 even strength.
If I'm reading that right, that's an amazing stat.

I gotta say, putting 5 forwards (nevermind 4) on the PP is a very risky move. Komisarek (!) made Whitney look like a fool. If I were a coach, I'd sacrifice the little bit of extra offence.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Good:

-Huet was sharp
-Koivu was flying
-2nd line working great
-Special units doing wonders again
-Markov playing like last year, Markov-Komi will be the best duo we had in over a decade this season.
-Good transition game
-Rivet with a good game, that hit was a delight

Bad:

-Stupid hooking and grabbing penaltys must stop

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:54 PM
pavlako11

All these penalties are too much for my baboon heart!

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 12:02 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I think this is a sweet headline, from Sportsnet.ca:

Huet Helps Habs Hammer Hurricanes.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote