HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weekes or Lundqvist in San Jose

View Poll Results: Who starts in SJ
Reward Weekes with another Start 32 44.44%
Back to Lundqvist 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Weekes or Lundqvist in San Jose

What do you think?

Should Kevin get the nod for hard work and great W in Duckland?

Should Henrik get the nod in hopes the team will play equally as good in front of him?

11-02-2006, 12:07 PM
AXN

Considering Weekes got rocked by the Sabres in his last start with them and beat the Ducks yesterday. I would go with Weekes again. Let Lundqvist play the Sabres on Sunday and get some rest in between. He started too many games as it is.

Old
11-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Bacchus

Weekes.

No reason to overplay Henke, especially with him searching for his 05/06 form.

Also, the more games Weekes gets, the better he plays.

Old
11-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Fletch

Lundqvist...

Weekes has played in two games now and had no preseason. I don't think he's ready to play back-to-back, especially since he had a busy night. I hope Renney starts playing him more regularly, but not back-to-back.

And while I think Weekes played well, like Henke, he did let in a soft one. This time, however, the Rangers were able to pick up their play in the second half of the game and get the timely PPs and score the timely goals. That was a big departure from recent losses.

Old
11-02-2006, 12:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

As i said from the onset of the trip it would go Lundqvist, Lundqvist, Weekes, Lundqvist -

But i chose Weekes and ill tell you why -

I think he earned the start and players should start being rewarded for the good things they do, because they sure as hell dont get punished for the mistakes they make.

I think a little, juuuuuussssst a little doubt might creep into Henrik's mind as to what might happen down the road if he continues to play at a level that isnt near last season - and that might light a fire under him to get his **** together.

Its good to have eachother pushing one another, its healthy and its good for the team.

Now if Weekes goes out there and plays like the Shady we all know and love, then we are back to square one again. The natural progression of the season would suggest that.

Old
11-02-2006, 12:32 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I say Lundqvist.

It's tough to play ANYONE back-to-back like that.. on a west coast road trip, none-the-less

Old
11-02-2006, 01:07 PM
DutchShamrock

Weekes. I thought players were supposed to earn their spots on the team. Something is going on Lundqvist's head, maybe some competition for the starting job is what he needs. Let these guys fight for the starting job.

And what is this, Weekes has already played two games? That's supposeds to be a reason no not start him. His last start was 10/17. He's been practicing since the season started. Let's see what he has.

Old
11-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Fletch

Hbnyc...

I have two questions.

First, do you think Weekes was much better than Henke has been? Set aside the fact that we're all disappointed in Henke because he's not playing at the level he can play at for a second. I think Weekes played very well. Still, three goals in regulation were scored, at least one of which I'd say was soft (the Getzlaf goal). Good shot, but we've been crying that Henke should make those saves, so I'm going to hold Weekes up to the same standard since we're deciding between the two.

Second, after a busy night, do you think Weekes will be a bit off the second night (tired) because he hasn't played in a while, hasn't played back to back in I don't know how long, and has played two games all season including preseason.

I'm pro Weekes but can see why a strong case can be made for him to sit. I can't see a strong case being made as to why he shouldn't play a bit more, however, which I strongly advocate.

Old
11-02-2006, 01:11 PM
SniperMogilny2K6*

Weekes>Lundquist when he's on his game

He should be played in SJ and If he's playing good he should be the starter for awhile

Old
11-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I think THE RANGERS AS A TEAM played a very solid game last night. If they play solid 60 minutes in front of Henrik he will again look GREAT! He has been played most of the games so far and truthfully the TEAM has played half assed D in front of him on most of those games.

Hopefully last nights win builds the confidence this team needs to go out and work hard AND have fun.

I chose Weekes for tonight because I think he earned it. Right time right place.

Playing back to back for an NHL goalie whose been sitting for 10 games straight should NOT be a problem. Especially someone who is as capable as Weekes. When Kevin came to NYR it was to be the starter. Lundqvist just beat him out of the job.

We win as a TEAM

Old
11-02-2006, 01:23 PM
DontStaal

weekes said it best.. the game was fun.. let the guy play. It obviously hasnt been fun for Lundqvist.

EDIT: he's still our starter, but i think he needs to take this step back.. plus i think our guys came together with weekes in goal. 18 blocked shots. Guys we're really tryin to pull thru yesterday.

Old
11-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Fletch

Mugerya...

you're right about earning spots, although I'll ask the same question I asked HBNYC - did Weekes play that much better than Lundqivst has been playing? He still gave up three goals. He did make a lot of good saves, but gave up at least one soft goal. That's about what Lundqvist's been doing. I think we tend to exaggerate how bad Lundqvist is playing since the expectation is so high - that of a top 5 NHL goalie? The win, I think, weighs in people's heads a bit too. I wonder what the sentiment would be had the Rangers lost 3-2 - would the Getzlaf goal be looked at as soft and highlighted more?

I do think the difference last night was the Rangers got the calls and Anaheim spend almost 1/2 the second period in the penalty box. That's something we haven't been seeing much of lately.

Old
11-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Edge

I think Weekes did a very good job, but most importantly he did his job.

Lundqvist is still the #1 guy and what Weekes did was what he was supposed to, he got the team on track with a strong performance.

It's like a pinch hitter who gets a hit in a key situation, he did his job. That doesn't necessarily mean he starts the next game.

I think you've gotta go with the guy who you feel is your number one, and that guy is still Lundqvist.

Old
11-02-2006, 01:38 PM
FLYLine24*

I wouldn't mind seeing how Lundqvist responds to Weekes' performance. Last year he played his best when he was trying to take the #1 role and keep it. After the good performance by Weekes maybe he is raring to play one hell of a game...who knows. If he has another average game then I'd like to see Renney rotate them like last year early on and then just ride the hot goalie when one emerges.

I just wanna get over the .500 mark though to be honest.

Old
11-02-2006, 01:40 PM
bathgate

I'm a big believer in Henke. I still think he is "the one" to eventually lead us back to the promised land. Nevertheless, start Weekes. Let Henke sit, watch, recharge himself. A small case of sophmore jinx at this time. We'll need a razor sharp Henke against Eastern conference foes fighting for playoff position

Old
11-02-2006, 02:03 PM
kovalev27hf

there is no way in hell im going to go back to weekes last night was just a lucky night for us, he didn't play particularly well in fact i'd say at LEAST 2 of those 3 goals were softees (personally i felt all 3 were) you go back to your guy and right now henke is our guy

Old
11-02-2006, 02:07 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Tough call.

I'll go with Lundqvist for no other reason than Fletch said so.

Old
11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Weekes.

Lundqvist has been God-awful this season. Roll the dice and go with Weekes. With Lundqvist you get an average of 4 goals, with Weekes he could let up 7 like he did in Buffalo, or only 3 like last night's performance. I would rather take the gamble then settle for mediocrity.

Old
11-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Fletch

I like the way you're thinking...

klingsor.

Old
11-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
Lundqvist has been God.
Not quite, but he's getting there and then we'll be set

Old
11-02-2006, 03:15 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Weekes gets a game next week...back to Henry

Old
11-02-2006, 03:21 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I have your answers Fletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I have two questions.

First, do you think Weekes was much better than Henke has been? Set aside the fact that we're all disappointed in Henke because he's not playing at the level he can play at for a second. I think Weekes played very well. Still, three goals in regulation were scored, at least one of which I'd say was soft (the Getzlaf goal). Good shot, but we've been crying that Henke should make those saves, so I'm going to hold Weekes up to the same standard since we're deciding between the two.

Second, after a busy night, do you think Weekes will be a bit off the second night (tired) because he hasn't played in a while, hasn't played back to back in I don't know how long, and has played two games all season including preseason.

I'm pro Weekes but can see why a strong case can be made for him to sit. I can't see a strong case being made as to why he shouldn't play a bit more, however, which I strongly advocate.
Good points... and mostly my argument is more the mental aspect of it ignoring the physical part which you bring up. I think alot of fans are pulling for Weekes simply because he won last night and they want the hot hand... And no, i dont think Weekes has played better then Henke.

But ill give you another situation and the answer to why you could make a case to sit Weekes tonight...

Obviously the next game is at home vs. the Sabres and Weekes hasnt played a home game yet (niether has OZO but thats a different story) but the night before the Sabres play the Leafs, so you might get one of those "i'll play my backup if you play yours" type of games because of the back to back for Buffalo. Thats if your hellbent on getting #80 in one of the next two games.

Not that the two teams actually plan it but sometimes it seems to work out that way.

This and the fatigue factor you brought up make me scratch my head about starting Weekes tonight, after i gutted a response.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 11-02-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old
11-02-2006, 03:27 PM
BlueHavok

i would say weekes, however, I dont want to blow the guy's newfound confidence in front of one of the NHL's most prolific offensive teams. Back to back.... tough but you may also be riding a "goalie-high" in weekes and could result a win. Henke can sit somemore, i dont think the hunger, fury to play has boiled over yet . Not to say of course that he lacks motivation.

BRING BACK POCK--BRING BACK POCK--BRING BACK POCK--BRING BACK POCK

Old
11-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Fletch

Hbnyc...

I'd start Henke today - and Sunday against the Sabres, and Weekes in Florida on Wednesday. I think Edge mentioned the other point that Weekes is a backup, and performed the role of the backup. There's not really a need to find a replacement for Lundqvist and with the goalie position, we may have to be a bit more patient than the other positions. You can make an argument that he needs to collect his thoughts, or you can say he just did and playing a backup back-to-back because he only gave up three goals one night, resulting in a win because his team scored four, isn't a good enough argument since he is the backup (if that sentence doesn't make sense, I apologize, I just rambled on and refuse to re-read it).

Of course, if the Rangers win or lose, the banter in here will be interesting. If Lundqvist loses the game, there will be an uproar (even though it would likely be the result of a tired team not playing hard). If they win, the team's back. What a roller coaster ride we're on.

Old
11-02-2006, 04:07 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I'd start Henke today - and Sunday against the Sabres, and Weekes in Florida on Wednesday. I think Edge mentioned the other point that Weekes is a backup, and performed the role of the backup. There's not really a need to find a replacement for Lundqvist and with the goalie position, we may have to be a bit more patient than the other positions. You can make an argument that he needs to collect his thoughts, or you can say he just did and playing a backup back-to-back because he only gave up three goals one night, resulting in a win because his team scored four, isn't a good enough argument since he is the backup (if that sentence doesn't make sense, I apologize, I just rambled on and refuse to re-read it).

Of course, if the Rangers win or lose, the banter in here will be interesting. If Lundqvist loses the game, there will be an uproar (even though it would likely be the result of a tired team not playing hard). If they win, the team's back. What a roller coaster ride we're on.
I read you, and the great thing is WE don't have to make that decision, its up to Crazysuits to, we can just sit here and be critical regardless. Either way you look at it, its a big start for whoever's in.

The idea that Edge presents about what a backup goalie's role is is true, but everyone knows that Renney doesnt think that generally when approaching a game that could quite possibly end a very successful (as far as points go) west coast trip early in the season.

Closed Thread