HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Weekes or Lundqvist in San Jose

View Poll Results: Who starts in SJ
Reward Weekes with another Start 32 44.44%
Back to Lundqvist 40 55.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Renney makes odd decisions...

and sometimes it's tough to tell their impact because so much is dependent on how a few play the game irrespective of those changes.

For me, it's the fatigue factor first that says don't play Weekes, and Lundqvist is the #1 goalie second. Some coaches like to go with what worked the night before, but I think goaltending is a bit different than forward lines and defense pairings. After reading the gameday threads, it looks as though it'll be Lundqvist. Of course if they lose, we'll see people saying Weekes should've started (are some of them the same that wanted to waive him or trade him prior to the season and last season's deadline?).

Old
11-02-2006, 05:55 PM
DutchShamrock

I am basing my decisions on different factors than you are, Fletch. I want Lundqvist to know that his job is not guarenteed. I want him to understand that he has to earn his starts. They aren't his outright. I think that if Malik didn't botch two plays in about 3 minutes time for 2 goals against we would be singing a different tune about our goalie situation today.

Now, don't get me wrong. I regard Lundqvist as our future and as the current starter. But I hate complacency. If I was in charge I wouldn't be building towards a 3 game win streak or a playoff win. I am building towards a Stanley cup in 5 years. I am building a core now for the good of the future, not next year's ticket sales. I hope that gives some perspective for my line of thinking on just about everything here. I'll take a loss with Weekes tonight or any night if it sends the proper message to Lundqvist early, that he has to compete every night. He has an obligation to show up in top form. I guess re-reading this it sounds preachy but if you set this standard now that playing sub-par is acceptable you will never establish an environment of accountability.

Also, I'm worried that if Weekes doesn't start again soon it will be another 3 weeks until he starts again. That is unacceptable to me. The coach has a responsibility to keep Weekes at a competive level but also to manage a developing asset in Lundqvist properly. Don't burn him out before the All-Star break. You are slotting him in for Florida, but if we lose in SJ and Buffalo I guarentee Lundqvist starts in Florida.

Old
11-02-2006, 05:57 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

And The Answer Is...
Weekes

Old
11-02-2006, 06:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Yep Weekes is the man tonight. Go get'em 80

Old
11-02-2006, 06:20 PM
shoothepuck

While I don't like him, and he always lets in a goal on the first or second shot he faces in a period, two of his 3 goals were Malik gifts. Weekes played well enough to get the start tonight.

Old
11-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Weekes is going to win it tonight I can feel it, i'm thinking the score will be ummmmm 3-1

Old
11-03-2006, 02:09 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Weekes should start on Sunday too.

Old
11-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post