HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Komi - Stevens with a mean streak!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2006, 06:58 AM
  #51
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
IMO KREX > STEVENS



Anyone really think Stevens was ever as strong as this.
Might not put up the offensive numbers but just look at the size of him.




In all seriousness Komisarek is no Stevens, but that is not a knock on him as he is reaching the potential which made the Canadiens select him in the first round.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 07:10 AM
  #52
habsfan44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Phaneuf - young scott stevens
Orpik - young scott stevens
Komisarek - young scott stevens


Amazing, 3 young scott stevens, yet to me the only guy that even remotely resembles him is Mark Fistric. this comparison makes me feel as though i will be disappointed in Komozao.
what about garnett exelby ? this guy has at least one highlight reel hit every game .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 07:49 AM
  #53
J-D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the dizzle!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Stevens was huge offensively for the Capitals and early on with the Devils. Even with the inflated point totals (Stevens reached 70s twice and alot of 60 pts seasons), I doubt Komisarek will ever reach, say, 40 pts.

Anyway, Scott Stevens was the master of the open ice hit, while Komi pins em up on the board more often.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 08:32 AM
  #54
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
I think the closest Dman to Stevens in today's NHL is defeintly Phaneuf, and i'd say Komisarek isn't really close in any aspect of the game so not really a great comparison. Somone earlier mentioned Adam Foote that may be a closer.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 08:46 AM
  #55
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Disagreed. Stevens played in the beginning of 80's where he scored most of is big pts totals.
His 78 point season was with the New Jersey devils in 93-94. Most of his points came from the late 80s and early 90s.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 09:23 AM
  #56
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
His 78 point season was with the New Jersey devils in 93-94. Most of his points came from the late 80s and early 90s.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00005180

Trap effect in 95 and up!

But, look at where the bulk of the points is, in the 80s, with the Washington Capitals.

I believe Phaneuf is at the same age a better open ice hitter than Stevens was at that age and a more controlled player.(Qualitatively) Back in the days, you just needed a Avery on your team and Stevens was toast.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 09:26 AM
  #57
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
And that post about him being better than Foote? that's a hot steaming pile of bs. Adam Foote is one of the better defensive defensemen out there, when he was an av, he was an anchor on defense and was a brutal guy to play against.

Komisarek wasn't that kind of nasty or that imposing where he would stick right to a guy and completely ruin his game (when Foote was on his game). Right now Komisarek might be as effective as Foote.`

As for Dion, he'll never be the force Stevens was on the blueline, he was someone you made sure you avoided, where as Phaneuf...Ovechkin rolled.
Adam Foote beginnings in Quebec City was very slow. He only blossomed after 5-6 years in the NHL and for the most part for only 4-5 years in Colorado. I remember I used to called him "The Foot" for all his defensive zone brain cramps. Komisarek is playing a similar style to the better Foote and he is still young.

I even still remember Alain Crête saying things like: "Foote pass to Sakic, its intercepted, Mogilny compte!" Over and over and over. Foote was terrible until the Lindros trade happened and the team got some depth. Komi is about as good currently as a 27 years old Foote.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 09:34 AM
  #58
Quiet Robert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post
Stevens was huge offensively for the Capitals and early on with the Devils. Even with the inflated point totals (Stevens reached 70s twice and alot of 60 pts seasons), I doubt Komisarek will ever reach, say, 40 pts.

Anyway, Scott Stevens was the master of the open ice hit, while Komi pins em up on the board more often.
Another good point. Has Komi ever layed anyone out with an open ice hit? He did hit Tucker nicely and there might be a few others I can't think of, but his forte is really plastering people into the boards. If you're trying to get around him wide, or are battling down low, be prepared to take a beating, because Komi has really managed to control his agressiveness and he just punishes people along the boards. But open ice he's not as agressive as Stevens, nor does he has the speed to be as effective, he's essentially too big at 6'4 245 imo.

Anyways, this comparison has been debated many times and it just doesn't fit. They aren't even the same body type. Stevens was relatively small whereas Komi is a beast. (Stevens was 6'1 210 IIRC) Again, the best comparison to Stevens is Phaneuf. It's been said before, but it fits much better than Komi. Phaneuf has the same body type, is devastating in the open ice and has tremnendous offensive potential.

Komisarek to Stevens comparison just doesn't fit at all to me. The ones which do fit are a prime Hatcher with more mobility and no retardation, or a bigger Adam Foote. Stay-at-home guys who will be solid defensively, punish you physically, but only have 30 point offensive upside.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 10:22 AM
  #59
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Another good point. Has Komi ever layed anyone out with an open ice hit? He did hit Tucker nicely and there might be a few others I can't think of, but his forte is really plastering people into the boards. If you're trying to get around him wide, or are battling down low, be prepared to take a beating, because Komi has really managed to control his agressiveness and he just punishes people along the boards. But open ice he's not as agressive as Stevens, nor does he has the speed to be as effective, he's essentially too big at 6'4 245 imo.

Anyways, this comparison has been debated many times and it just doesn't fit. They aren't even the same body type. Stevens was relatively small whereas Komi is a beast. (Stevens was 6'1 210 IIRC) Again, the best comparison to Stevens is Phaneuf. It's been said before, but it fits much better than Komi. Phaneuf has the same body type, is devastating in the open ice and has tremnendous offensive potential.

Komisarek to Stevens comparison just doesn't fit at all to me. The ones which do fit are a prime Hatcher with more mobility and no retardation, or a bigger Adam Foote. Stay-at-home guys who will be solid defensively, punish you physically, but only have 30 point offensive upside.
That analysis sizes it up. Effective bodychecking requires more than size/mass. It's necessary to maximize the force of the hit, and that requires technique and timing. Stevens and Phaneuf got the knack. Komisarek could hit even harder than he does, but he has to work at it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 10:40 AM
  #60
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
That analysis sizes it up. Effective bodychecking requires more than size/mass. It's necessary to maximize the force of the hit, and that requires technique and timing. Stevens and Phaneuf got the knack. Komisarek could hit even harder than he does, but he has to work at it.
I don't know skating technically enough to describe it, but in the past, the big hitters seemed to accelerate into the contact, it seemed they would move up into the hit. Robinson comes to mind as a guy who'd be gaining momentum thru the contact.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 12:31 PM
  #61
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Stevens was way meaner and much better offensively. Sorry.
I like Komi but he ain't near Stevens' status yet.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 12:45 PM
  #62
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00005180

Trap effect in 95 and up!

But, look at where the bulk of the points is, in the 80s, with the Washington Capitals.

I believe Phaneuf is at the same age a better open ice hitter than Stevens was at that age and a more controlled player.(Qualitatively) Back in the days, you just needed a Avery on your team and Stevens was toast.
You're right, but Phaneuf isn't as consistent as Stevens was. When Stevens was in the game, I can't remember not seeing at least 2-3 great hits in a game. It seems like Phaneuf isn't as involved as he should be on some nights.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 12:53 PM
  #63
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Are you doing some kind of schtick here ? I think even his biggest fans would say he's a puck moving d man with good offensive upside. I've never heard anything or seen any physical game. Are you joking or mixing up players ? Maybe I'm mixing them up, but this guy isn't a hitter. .
In the juniors the guy barely hit and I'm not sure when he made the transition, but Colaiacovo could end up being ranked nearly, if not as high as Phaneuf for open ice hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X128ULuQEc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZqOaVYuAjA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFbqmMw7w8A

Those are the only videos I've found. Colaiacovo seems to have changed his game since he was with Team Canada.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.