Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Bite the bullet sutter

Old
11-03-2006, 12:27 AM
fourofakindfowl

vCash: 500
Bite the bullet sutter

sign Allison for 1 year, he can surely be had for as cheap as about 1 million, maybe 1.2... he is a slow player, but he is only slow when he has the puck and making plays, otherwise he isnt as bad as people make him out to be, and you put him between Tanguay and Iginla and you will have a very good offensive first line... he played in LA on a line with Deadmarsh and Demitra, both of whom are speedy players, and he produced consistently...Allison is a funny player to watch too, he does a lot of slow, wiley dangles, and he loves going in the corners and is very hard to deal with down low.. I watched him all last year because I am a leafs fan, and many people used him as a scapegoat for all of the leafs problems, but Jason Allison was not anywhere near one of the core problems with the maple leafs last season...he is very slow when he has the puck, otherwise he is ok, and he backchecks even though according to these forums he is like the worst player ever.. he fights too.. good player, Sutter should sign him..how much worse can it get for the Flames?

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 12:32 AM
vbet*

Period and periodic may refer to:
  1. A full stop, also known as a period, a punctuation mark which indicates the end of a sentence.
  2. An interval of time that an event, chain of events, instance or happening, takes place within. It is measured between a start point and an end point and generally repeats, or progresses, in a cycle with the end point of one period being the start point of the next.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 12:39 AM
fourofakindfowl

you have got to be kidding me....

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 01:16 AM
hockeyGod

even though it is a patch...what can it hurt. I think you either go after him or trade for a center. Keep the team in tact is a better solution. How slow could he be really. For a guy who scored almost a hundred points in the old era, im sure he can put up some points in the new nhl. Might as well go for it before it is to late.

hockeyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Hank19*

Jason Allison is a posterchild for the 'old' NHL. He was able to play with speedy wingers like Deadmarsh and Demitra because the game was played in quicksand. Allison said last year he thought the 'new' NHL was garbage but it's just because he was so useless in it. Prior to the rules being changed/enforced Allison thrived because all the hooking and holding slowed the game down to his speed. And because of his size he was better at fighting through that than some other players.
Now that guys are allowed to skate he's completely useless out there 5-on-5.
Iginla and Tanguay would be up and down the ice 4 times before Allison would get out of his zone.

Besides, getting a good centre isn't going to change anything for this team. Tanguay has basically had little offensive impact and it's not his fault. Look at all the former Flames that couldn't producer here, that are doing well elsewhere.
The only thing that's going to help this team is if they dig in deeper or change to a skating club.
Maybe after grinding out wins for the past 2 seasons other teams have found the strategy to beating them?
The funny thing is I think the Flames have some very speedy forwards and a very mobile defense. They could play a similar style to Buffalo and be very successful. But that's not the type of game Sutter played and he's not going to have this team play that way either. And if you think he doesn't have any influence over how they play you're fooling yourself. Playfair answers to Darryl.

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 09:37 AM
boarderex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
Jason Allison is a posterchild for the 'old' NHL. He was able to play with speedy wingers like Deadmarsh and Demitra because the game was played in quicksand. Allison said last year he thought the 'new' NHL was garbage but it's just because he was so useless in it. Prior to the rules being changed/enforced Allison thrived because all the hooking and holding slowed the game down to his speed. And because of his size he was better at fighting through that than some other players.
Now that guys are allowed to skate he's completely useless out there 5-on-5.
Iginla and Tanguay would be up and down the ice 4 times before Allison would get out of his zone.

Besides, getting a good centre isn't going to change anything for this team. Tanguay has basically had little offensive impact and it's not his fault. Look at all the former Flames that couldn't producer here, that are doing well elsewhere.
The only thing that's going to help this team is if they dig in deeper or change to a skating club.
Maybe after grinding out wins for the past 2 seasons other teams have found the strategy to beating them?
The funny thing is I think the Flames have some very speedy forwards and a very mobile defense. They could play a similar style to Buffalo and be very successful. But that's not the type of game Sutter played and he's not going to have this team play that way either. And if you think he doesn't have any influence over how they play you're fooling yourself. Playfair answers to Darryl.

Not to get too sidetracked by this or anything... but is he really THAT slow?!? Keep in mind if he were to sign a deal it would be with consideration of the fact he isn't the same player in the new NHL as he was in the old and obviously won't demand the same money.

boarderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 10:31 AM
RUSqueelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderex View Post
Not to get too sidetracked by this or anything... but is he really THAT slow?!? Keep in mind if he were to sign a deal it would be with consideration of the fact he isn't the same player in the new NHL as he was in the old and obviously won't demand the same money.
Ya, actually he is THAT slow. Really slow. But if the Flames were to sign him he could be your new wipping boy.

There is a reason no club has signed him this year. Coupled with the fact that he hasn't played this year yet and he'd be really ugly out there.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post
Ya, actually he is THAT slow. Really slow. But if the Flames were to sign him he could be your new wipping boy.

There is a reason no club has signed him this year. Coupled with the fact that he hasn't played this year yet and he'd be really ugly out there.
Exactly. And how brutal was he during 5-on-5 play? He recorded 60 points in 05-06 and 39 of them were on the PP. He scored a whopping .31 PPG ES. And that's on a team that's all offense and featured him as one of their top 2 centreman.
Imagine what would happen for him in Calgary, in a defensive system.
He would be lucky to get 5 ES points.

Old
11-03-2006, 12:40 PM
SensItComing

Interesting side note:

Before his breakout year (prior to season-ending injury) Allison took skating lessons from a former Olympian and World record holding speedskater Kevin Scott. Kevin is now a lawyer in Calgary.

So he does have an obscure tie to Calgary.

I still believe that anyone with hands and vision as good as Allison's will still have a place in the league. He may not be fast but he has a strange ability to slow the opponent down in the offensive zone making his teammates that much faster (especially on the PP).

SensItComing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensItComing View Post
Interesting side note:

Before his breakout year (prior to season-ending injury) Allison took skating lessons from a former Olympian and World record holding speedskater Kevin Scott. Kevin is now a lawyer in Calgary.

So he does have an obscure tie to Calgary.

I still believe that anyone with hands and vision as good as Allison's will still have a place in the league. He may not be fast but he has a strange ability to slow the opponent down in the offensive zone making his teammates that much faster (especially on the PP).
If that were true he would have found a team. Especially teams like Calgary or Washington who desperately need a #1 centre.

And Allison was able to slow his opponents down during the old NHL. If you watched one game of his last season you would have seen a very slow forward who looked like he should be in the ECHL. It was brutal and a true tell-tale sign of how skating is imparitive in the new NHL.
There's a reason why he was effective on the PP but completely useless during even strength scenarios. I've seen trees that moved faster.

Old
11-03-2006, 01:26 PM
SensItComing

Quote:
If you watched one game of his last season
I wasn't trying to turn this into a pi$$ing contest, but as an Ontario hockey fan I will tell you that I saw probably 20 of his games... and in most nights he was easily the Leafs second best centreman behind Sundin.

Quote:
If that were true he would have found a team. Especially teams like Calgary or Washington who desperately need a #1 centre.
I never once claimed that he should become the number one centreman. If you want someone with wheels go out and get Rico Fata again. If you want someone who can compete and make his teammates better get Allison.

Old
11-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Jag68Sid87

For the record, Jason Allison's wingers in L.A. were Deadmarsh and Ziggy Palffy, not Demitra. Just to clarify.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensItComing View Post
I wasn't trying to turn this into a pi$$ing contest, but as an Ontario hockey fan I will tell you that I saw probably 20 of his games... and in most nights he was easily the Leafs second best centreman behind Sundin.[/b]
Then you were looking through "Mapleleaf Eyes". Either that or you forget that he was the 2nd best centre on a team that didn't make the playoffs. And should I mention that the other 2 centermen were rookie Kyle Wellwood and 2nd year man Matt Stajan. He better be the 2nd best centre on that team at that time. But even then, I thought Wellwood played much better than him all last season.
Besides if he was so good why didn't they resign him?
I could pose this question on the open forum and about 95% of the people would tell you exactly what I and others here are saying; he's slower than a glacier and he has no business playing in the new NHL. The other 5% would be Leaf slappys that think anyone that wears the Blue and White is the greatest hockey player of all time.

Quote:
[/b]I never once claimed that he should become the number one centreman[b]. If you want someone with wheels go out and get Rico Fata again. If you want someone who can compete and make his teammates better get Allison.
Neither did I. I simply stated that those teams don't even HAVE a #1 centreman. Or any really good centermen right now. Surely Allison could fill that void if he's such an incredible talent like you say.

5-on-5 the guy is beyond brutal. It's why he isn't signed now. The guy was a point-per-game guy for years and suddenly nobody wants him for a paltry $1 mil a year? Obviously GM's aren't biting for some reason.

Old
11-03-2006, 03:21 PM
SensItComing

Quote:
"Mapleleaf Eyes"
That's funny as the Leafs are my 30th favorite team in the league. Ottawa is in Ontario too hence the SensItComing.

I believe that Allison was actually brought to the Leafs to be the third line centre behind Lindos.

I will agree that he is slow, and that signing him will not secure a floundering team the cup or a playoff position; but his ability in the offensive zone cannot be ignored. IMO

Old
11-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Mielke83

haha flames r hurtin ad suck ***

Mielke83 is offline   Reply With Quote