HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game-day Thread: Oilers AT Columbus

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 10:51 AM
barto

vCash: 500
I didn't like hearing from Oates that he's dead after 10 seconds out there - hopefully that was a HUGE exaggeration! But why not start him very gently, say, against Detroit, to take a few key faceoffs and play on the PP? Something like 5-6 minutes, only, kinda like Sarno in a few of his games.

Bryn Griffiths on TEAM 1260 (Brynster, are you reading this??) mentioned there are many signs of a Comrie deal by the end of next week. I kinda wonder if Lowe is waiting to see Oates in a couple of games to make sure he'll be OK before pulling the trigger on a deal. And to make sure Reasoner's on track to come back in good time, too...?

I still wonder what the deal is with Semenov, though. Are they waiting now until December to play him & see if he pulls a "last season" on us where he played really well?? Strange stuff.

Also a little odd about not giving Valiquette a start against the Blue Jackets & then give Conklin the start against the Wings, but they really feel Conks can handle it. MacT called him a 'young kid' or something, but he's already 27. Not that that's too old to play a lot of games or anything, but he's not a real young pup, either. Maybe that's the key for him staying pretty composed in his starts that he's had (for the most part) - he's not a 21/22-yr-old kid.

Bart

Old
11-25-2003, 11:42 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Also a little odd about not giving Valiquette a start against the Blue Jackets & then give Conklin the start against the Wings, but they really feel Conks can handle it. MacT called him a 'young kid' or something, but he's already 27. Not that that's too old to play a lot of games or anything, but he's not a real young pup, either. Maybe that's the key for him staying pretty composed in his starts that he's had (for the most part) - he's not a 21/22-yr-old kid.

Bart
I actually disagree with MacTavish on this decision.. while Valley might not be an A class goaltender, I simply don't think Conklin can play this many games in a row. Imagine a worst case scenario where Conks gets injured.. we'd be forced to scrap out previous Comrie ideas and deal him for a goalie instead! I think Valiquette should start tonight, he might surprise a few people..

Old
11-25-2003, 11:54 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I actually disagree with MacTavish on this decision.. while Valley might not be an A class goaltender, I simply don't think Conklin can play this many games in a row. Imagine a worst case scenario where Conks gets injured.. we'd be forced to scrap out previous Comrie ideas and deal him for a goalie instead! I think Valiquette should start tonight, he might surprise a few people..
Yeah, I kind of agree...MacT put forth that Fuhr played 76 in a row or something like that, but Conklin ain't Fuhr (who is?), and in a back-to-back situation here, it seems just about perfect to play Valiquette against the Blue Jackets. They're improved from last year (I think) but still a generally easier opponent than the Wings! Well, they're struggling, too.

I also wonder if this means that Salo is getting close to returning...then you might say, "OK, we can burn Conklin out a little cuz we have Salo about ready to go." A little risky, though, with the injury possibility there like you said.

Bart

Old
11-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Also a little odd about not giving Valiquette a start against the Blue Jackets & then give Conklin the start against the Wings, but they really feel Conks can handle it.
I actually hope that Big Valley gets his first start against the Wings.

In what would be his first start since '99-'00, I think he might come out fired up and steal one for us.

Old
11-25-2003, 02:00 PM
gretzky2kurri

I'm for sticking with Conks. CBJ is a team they are supposed to beat. I want that to happen.

Because it will be tough getting 2 points in Detroit anyway. We need these ones, if they beat the Wings......it's bonus.

Old
11-25-2003, 02:17 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Okay.....why isn't everyone all over Ferguson on that goal? If MAB had done that he'd have been thrown off the boat and the SEMENOV IN! SEMENOV IN! chants woulda begun already.

Why aren't Salmelainen or Sarno in the lineup? Horcoff and Laraque make this team SO much slower.....

Hopefully Hemsky-Stoll-Isbister has a good game.

Old
11-25-2003, 02:26 PM
dem

Everyone wants Fergy to sit.. but its not going to happen. Theres no point of even saying it anymore.

Old
11-25-2003, 02:27 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Everyone wants Fergy to sit.. but its not going to happen. Theres no point of even saying it anymore.
Some of us just won't stop banging their heads against the wall

Old
11-25-2003, 02:29 PM
USC Trojans
New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Some of us just won't stop banging their heads against the wall
does anyone have a bag of ice?

Old
11-25-2003, 02:38 PM
gretzky2kurri

Geeeeez.

Have the Oilers sharpened their skates since that outdoor game?

They can't seem to complete their passes too well either.

I just want to get through this period and hopefully MacT destroys some trash cans between periods.

Wake up....

Old
11-25-2003, 02:39 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Horcoff and Izzy gettin owned 4-on-4. Who decided on that that pairing for a 4-on-4??? Slow and slower with all that speed sitting on the bench.

Old
11-25-2003, 02:41 PM
Lowetide

Aside from Conklin, they all look a little off so far tonight. If they can get out of this period down 1-0 they might be okay.

Old
11-25-2003, 02:44 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Aside from Conklin, they all look a little off so far tonight. If they can get out of this period down 1-0 they might be okay.
sag........

Old
11-25-2003, 02:44 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Speak of the devil...

Old
11-25-2003, 02:48 PM
momentai

Quote:
Okay.....why isn't everyone all over Ferguson on that goal? If MAB had done that he'd have been thrown off the boat and the SEMENOV IN! SEMENOV IN! chants woulda begun already.

Why aren't Salmelainen or Sarno in the lineup? Horcoff and Laraque make this team SO much slower.....
As for Ferguson... this is pure idiocy. I cannot simply fathom a coaching staff that would play Scott over Alexei Semenov. It's been over 20 games. It's nice that you have faith in slow, old dmen but again this idiocy has to stop for the good of the team.

Ferguson is neither quick, as good at positioning as Cory Cross, has any talent in regards to offense or knowing at what times to pinch, and is horribly soft along the boards as well. He's one of the heart and soul guys that likes to work hard. I get that and appreciate it. But when you have better options in the pressbox.. well that doesn't take a rocket scientist, now does it?

Horcoff does look slower than usual. Perhaps his hip is still hurting him?

Old
11-25-2003, 02:53 PM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Speak of the devil...
The most dangerous lead in hockey. If your an Oiler that is...

Whats up with Laraque? Has he even scored a goal this year? Laraques confidence level is showing huge.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:06 PM
momentai

Hemsky scores... I know. What the heck is his shooting percentage? It must be ridiculous.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:10 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Hemsky scores... I know. What the heck is his shooting percentage? It must be ridiculous.
5/13 now, so about 38%

Just doin what he does best, reading the play and bein in the right place.

Also continues to prove my point about playing with Horcoff vs. without.

Gotta tie this thing up quick, and the boys don't exactly look fired up tonight, which is fairly alarming. We need this one to keep any mo going into our homestand after the Detroit game. Hopefully Ty can keep us in there long enough, as he's been doin lately.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:11 PM
dangerMcdanger

Yeah this is an important game, win this and we'll be 4 points behind the nucks iwth a game in hand...

Old
11-25-2003, 03:11 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
As for Ferguson... this is pure idiocy. I cannot simply fathom a coaching staff that would play Scott over Alexei Semenov. It's been over 20 games. It's nice that you have faith in slow, old dmen but again this idiocy has to stop for the good of the team.

Ferguson is neither quick, as good at positioning as Cory Cross, has any talent in regards to offense or knowing at what times to pinch, and is horribly soft along the boards as well. He's one of the heart and soul guys that likes to work hard. I get that and appreciate it. But when you have better options in the pressbox.. well that doesn't take a rocket scientist, now does it? ?
Slowly everyone's coming around

We can only hope MacTavish does. Although I'm pretty sure there's Cleary-esque loyalty there.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:15 PM
momentai

Quote:
Slowly everyone's coming around

We can only hope MacTavish does. Although I'm pretty sure there's Cleary-esque loyalty there.
Nothing coming around for me. I've been arguing this since day one. I think Dawgbone and I had a discussion about it. But I've been waiting for Semenov to get a decent spot in the lineup since the very first day of the season.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:20 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Nothing coming around for me. I've been arguing this since day one. I think Dawgbone and I had a discussion about it. But I've been waiting for Semenov to get a decent spot in the lineup since the very first day of the season.
I know ya have, just making the general comment.

On another topic: That penalty Smyth just got is one of the many things that is just so wrong in the NHL today......talk about weak.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:22 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Off the back of Conklin's glove and in......ouch, talk about a bad break.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:35 PM
Cowboy

Send a message via MSN to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
I really like the looks of the oilers PP. With York, Bergeron, Dvorak, Smyth and Hemsky, I can't see them struggling too much, it seems like too much fire power not to score some goals.

Old
11-25-2003, 04:03 PM
TheBrew

Izzy

Closed Thread