HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WIp Rumor

Old
11-03-2006, 07:27 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
WIp Rumor

Macnow was saying last night there was a lot of talk in the press box at the game about Umberger for Roman Hamrlik. I would like t0 have Roman but not for Umberger. I have no pr0blem trading him but not for a a 32 year old, someone younger. Didnt say if it was striaght up or other players involved. Thoughts.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Jester

pretty much agree across the board... wouldn't give Umberger for a 32 year old... big contract (that the team is trying to get rid of anyway).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Yeah, I wouldn't make that trade. Maybe if they throw in a draft pick, but I am not too thrilled with Hamrlik, and while I don't see Umberger as a future star, he should be a decent 2nd liner or third liner.

That being said, I think the deal will happen because the Flyers are panicking and will start to make bad deals, sort of like the Adam Oates deal. I forsee many stupid trades in the next few weeks.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 08:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't make that trade. Maybe if they throw in a draft pick, but I am not too thrilled with Hamrlik, and while I don't see Umberger as a future star, he should be a decent 2nd liner or third liner.

That being said, I think the deal will happen because the Flyers are panicking and will start to make bad deals, sort of like the Adam Oates deal. I forsee many stupid trades in the next few weeks.
You need a GM to make trades. Apparently, Holmgren doesn't look like he will be the next GM.

Patch work won't be the answer. Macnow said it best that we can be patient if it means the team will be better next year, or if there is a plan to be better next year.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 09:03 AM
ArchieIsGod

to be honest i dont want them to go out and trade for a quick fix...as much as i HATE to see them lose. with the way pittsburgh is already playing we are going to have a hell of a time just trying to win the division over the next 5or more years

we need to build on our core and hopefully add a few high draft picks to this team.

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Sum1winachampionship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
That's what i'm afraid of most with this team. I can take a losing season provided they demonstrate that they have a plan and the guts to stick with it. Its like when Reid came in with the Eagles. They instituted a new philosophy and stuck with it. (not trying to get into an argument about his pass/run ratio).

I read this article and was immediately concerned.
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/15915886.htm

I would bet that we make two to three moves in the next month to put us back where we were last year, competitive in the playoffs but without a real shot at the cup. I'd prefer we took this year to clean house. Make moves if they're beneficial, but beneficial in the long run, not short-term solutions.

The effort this team has shown proves that we aren't a mobile defenseman and scoring winger away from the cup.

Sum1winachampionship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 09:46 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Macnow was saying last night there was a lot of talk in the press box at the game about Umberger for Roman Hamrlik. I would like t0 have Roman but not for Umberger. I have no pr0blem trading him but not for a a 32 year old, someone younger. Didnt say if it was striaght up or other players involved. Thoughts.
that sounds like a typical Flyers trade.

I really hope that they don't start making panic trades. I was listening the the morning show and Jones'y was saying that the Flyers need to overhaul the team. great advise... Morganti on the other hand said he would like to get some better players on the team to help but wants to stick with the young guys.

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
capn89*

Isn't Umberger one of the few guys who actually seems to play game in and game out? *** kind of trade would that be?

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 10:19 AM
FlyersFanJS

i wouldn't put a whole lot of weight into that rumor...just doesn't seem to make sense, mostly for the age and salary reasons

i do agree that umberger will probably be dealt though, he could have some good value, especially in a package for good prospects and picks

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Steve L*

Only if they throw in Iginla and we throw in Gagne!

Umberger played like a man who thought he could be traded last night.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 10:26 AM
blah

Trade Umberger for picks and prospects? Brilliant! Then we can keep our fingers and toes crossed for 4 years hoping one of them turns out as good as him.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 12:01 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

ugh, no

lets hope we learned our lesson on Seidenberg for Nedved

FlyersHomer DM03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 01:13 PM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Trade Umberger for picks and prospects? Brilliant! Then we can keep our fingers and toes crossed for 4 years hoping one of them turns out as good as him.
he has 2 goals and i really don't think he's all that good

Old
11-03-2006, 01:19 PM
MojoJojo

Ignoring potential, right now Umberger>Carter>Richards. He is the only young player playing consistently in both ends, and he gets demoted to the fourth line.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 01:23 PM
PF1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Ignoring potential, right now Umberger>Carter>Richards. He is the only young player playing consistently in both ends, and he gets demoted to the fourth line.
Diggit - I hope they hold on to him...

PF1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 01:25 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS View Post
he has 2 goals and i really don't think he's all that good
He had 20 last year and looked like he could be a decent 2nd liner. It'd be stupid to burn him on a 1 year rental 12 games in.

Old
11-03-2006, 01:35 PM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
He had 20 last year and looked like he could be a decent 2nd liner. It'd be stupid to burn him on a 1 year rental 12 games in.
which is why i said good prospects and picks...not a 1 year renter

umberger is NOT going to be a consistent 20 goal guy IMO...he'll be a 15 3rd line winger/center...not exactly a rare find

Old
11-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
He's played just as poorly for most of the season.

Yeah, last night he was skating, but that's one game. Using the word "consistent" when describing him is foolish.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 02:07 PM
blah

Quote:

umberger is NOT going to be a consistent 20 goal guy IMO...he'll be a 15 3rd line winger/center...not exactly a rare find
I think he'll be a decent 2nd line center. 6'2 centers that can skate and score goals aren't easy to find.

Trading him for prospects and picks is pointless. He's 24, not 34.

Old
11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Gert B Frobe

I like Umberger but...

If they're offering Hamrlik and something else half decent - then sign me up.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 05:10 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:

How in the hell has he proved otherwise? If a guy scores 20 goals in his rookie season playing less games than both Carter and Richards (spending most of October in the AHL) where do you get off saying he's a 15 goal 3rd liner? He's getting **** minutes with **** linemates unlike Carter and Richards right now.

Trading Umberger for picks and prospects would be asanine.

Like MojoJojo said as of right now (and the stretch before the playoffs last year)

Umberger > Carter > Richards

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 05:13 PM
mikedifr

IF we need to make a move and need to trade someone young, then I rather it be Umberger then Carter or Richards. At least I think I rather it be them.

With that said, if we are going to trade Umberger for a dman with a team that is trying to dump salary I rather go for one of the following if available:

To Phoenix for Morris - He is a right hand shot which we do not have, only 28 years old.

To St Louis for Brewer - He is still young as well.

If we are going to pick up Hamrlik, I do not mind as at 32 dmen still usually have a good 4 years left in them, but I dont know if he is worth one of our top 4 prospects.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Zimmer12

Where do I sign the papers for this trade? We could easily toss Giordano into Hamrlik's spot and he would do just fine. Umberger would be a great addition.

Zimmer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 05:17 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer12 View Post
Where do I sign the papers for this trade? We could easily toss Giordano into Hamrlik's spot and he would do just fine. Umberger would be a great addition.
Get out.

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 05:36 PM
mikedifr

If there is any truth to the Umberger for Hamrlik trade I have a couple realistic modifications to it that I may be able to live with.

Umberger/Jones or pick

For

Hamrlik/Marcus Nilson/pick

Calgary needs to give us something extra to make up for us taking salary off their cap and giving them a good prospect. Throw Jones in to fill in on the bottom parings there.

Marcus Nilson can come in and be put right in Umberger's spot. He is a guy that plays hard 100% of the time and can be a shut down guy or fill in at any forward position on any line. He is only 28 and is the kind of player we need in our bottom 6 at the moment.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote