HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WIp Rumor

Old
11-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Zimmer12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post

Marcus Nilson can come in and be put right in Umberger's spot. He is a guy that plays hard 100% of the time and can be a shut down guy or fill in at any forward position on any line. He is only 28 and is the kind of player we need in our bottom 6 at the moment.
Don't see it happening...we are looking for guys that will give it 100% every night, not give away those guys. Nilson and Hamrlik are way to valuable for a return of Umberger, with great potential and a guy I have never heard of that will probably get tossed to Omaha.

Zimmer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 05:53 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer12 View Post
Don't see it happening...we are looking for guys that will give it 100% every night, not give away those guys. Nilson and Hamrlik are way to valuable for a return of Umberger, with great potential and a guy I have never heard of that will probably get tossed to Omaha.
GO AWAY FLAMES FAN!!!!!!!!!

I hear you. I just think in this day and age, the team dumping a large amount of salary is going to have to give up slightly more then what they are getting in order for it to happen. Not to mention that out of our younger players, Umberger has been arguable the best this season. He just happens to be on the 4th line right now cause they have no one else to play that center position.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 06:03 PM
kingjdv

Send a message via AIM to kingjdv
Today's Trentonian said that scouts from four different teams (DET, CALG, MTL, ???) were at last night's game. They mentioned the Umberger for Hamrlik rumor as well as Gagne for Iginla.

The article (can't find a link) also dropped the names of Brett Lebda (DET), Matt Schneider (DET) and Sheldon Souray (MTL) as possible targets for the Flyers.

kingjdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 06:12 PM
jfc64

In any trade we must get rid of one of our two dinosaurs on defense. Have not given up on Ratje yet. A good second defense pairing guy. Umberger plus Gauthier etc. for Hamrlik. And I guess WE must give them a secondrounder.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjdv View Post
Today's Trentonian said that scouts from four different teams (DET, CALG, MTL, ???) were at last night's game. They mentioned the Umberger for Hamrlik rumor as well as Gagne for Iginla.

The article (can't find a link) also dropped the names of Brett Lebda (DET), Matt Schneider (DET) and Sheldon Souray (MTL) as possible targets for the Flyers.

I love the Gagne for Iginla idea.... LOVE it.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
pretty much agree across the board... wouldn't give Umberger for a 32 year old... big contract (that the team is trying to get rid of anyway).
If you ask me they're trying to dump him to fit in Gomez who would be dealt with someone else for Regher and Langkow.......at least that's the impression Im getting in that trade.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
If there is any truth to the Umberger for Hamrlik trade I have a couple realistic modifications to it that I may be able to live with.

Umberger/Jones or pick

For

Hamrlik/Marcus Nilson/pick

Calgary needs to give us something extra to make up for us taking salary off their cap and giving them a good prospect. Throw Jones in to fill in on the bottom parings there.

Marcus Nilson can come in and be put right in Umberger's spot. He is a guy that plays hard 100% of the time and can be a shut down guy or fill in at any forward position on any line. He is only 28 and is the kind of player we need in our bottom 6 at the moment.
I'd love to get Marcus Nilson or any players like him. The team needs hardworking players who are responsble defensively. I know the team needs scoring, but they could use more players that don't take off a shift. Too bad they can't get Guy Carboneau to come out of coaching and play.

Heck, I'd take Bondra too, at least he can get 20 goals. (I'm assuming no one has signed him yet, but I've been out of country for a while, so I am not sure).

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Beastieboy

I don't want them to trade Umberger, Carter, Richards, Pitkanen or Nitty... or Gagne for that matter for some old under-achieving first round draft pick (hello Nedved). The only way I can live with trading Umberger is if he is moved for a young defenceman from a team that has a few solid D that are in their early 20's.

Snider commented that the team is not going to go chasing the Cup and trading young players for old fill-ins. I don't think he will make an exception to chase 8th place in the conference. Didn't we learn our lesson on Justin Williams? Wouldn't he look nice on right wing now? Where have you gone Danny Markov? On that topic, why trade for him and then let him walk away? He would be better than the jolly orange giants.

I don't see this team winning the Cup this year (shocker!). I am prepared to suffer through some lean times to let these younger players develop and bring in the 2004, 2005, 2006 draft picks and see what happens as time goes on. Hamrlik is not going to elevate this team to a contender and then they've mortgaged a potential piece of the future yet again.

I think Snider wants to go back to the mid-80's when a lot of the Flyers stars were home grown picks and signings (Poulin, Propp, Kerr, Eklund, Sutter, Zezel, Tocchet). Remember when those guys all hit their prime and how close they were to winning it all. Give this core a chance and build around it, DO NOT take away pieces of it. Sure, you need some veterans to fill in, sign them as free agents, don't waste picks and prospects to get them.

Last edited by Beastieboy: 11-03-2006 at 11:17 PM. Reason: type-o
Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:01 AM
kingjdv

Send a message via AIM to kingjdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I love the Gagne for Iginla idea.... LOVE it.
I loved it back in 04...which is when they should have done it!

kingjdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:12 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjdv View Post

Obviously the vultures are going to be circling.

I don't know about everybody else but I'd rather have Tanguay than Iginla. He's cheaper and would be a much better fit with somebody like Carter. They already have pieces that work with Forsberg. They need to find pieces that mesh with the rest of the forward lines. Right now they're a one line team.

Defense is at a premium and I don't know how they're going to be able to fix it midseason. The only way out I see is taking back bad contracts or players who will be UFA. At this point I'm not sure the Flyers can risk doing either.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Steve L*

I think Tanguay is a version of Gagne but with worse defence. There would have to be something else coming back to sweeten the deal.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 11:05 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
I don't want them to trade Umberger, Carter, Richards, Pitkanen or Nitty... or Gagne for that matter for some old under-achieving first round draft pick (hello Nedved). The only way I can live with trading Umberger is if he is moved for a young defenceman from a team that has a few solid D that are in their early 20's.

Snider commented that the team is not going to go chasing the Cup and trading young players for old fill-ins. I don't think he will make an exception to chase 8th place in the conference. Didn't we learn our lesson on Justin Williams? Wouldn't he look nice on right wing now? Where have you gone Danny Markov? On that topic, why trade for him and then let him walk away? He would be better than the jolly orange giants.

I don't see this team winning the Cup this year (shocker!). I am prepared to suffer through some lean times to let these younger players develop and bring in the 2004, 2005, 2006 draft picks and see what happens as time goes on. Hamrlik is not going to elevate this team to a contender and then they've mortgaged a potential piece of the future yet again.

I think Snider wants to go back to the mid-80's when a lot of the Flyers stars were home grown picks and signings (Poulin, Propp, Kerr, Eklund, Sutter, Zezel, Tocchet). Remember when those guys all hit their prime and how close they were to winning it all. Give this core a chance and build around it, DO NOT take away pieces of it. Sure, you need some veterans to fill in, sign them as free agents, don't waste picks and prospects to get them.

I dont want to trade any of them either, but if we had to, I would guess most of us would pick Umberger before Carter/Richards. I agree though, I dont want Hamrlik for him, that trade I proposed was only hypothetical if Flyers did decide to do it. I want someone 28 or younger.

Old
11-04-2006, 11:57 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
I think Tanguay is a version of Gagne but with worse defense. There would have to be something else coming back to sweeten the deal.
I pretty much agree. Tanguay is more of a passer/play maker than the sniper Gagne is, which is why he'd make a nice linemate for Carter. I didn't say it in my previous post but I wouldn't give up Gagne for Tanguay. If Calgary is having second thoughts about him, the Flyers should have interest if the cost isn't exorbitant.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 12:33 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
I pretty much agree. Tanguay is more of a passer/play maker than the sniper Gagne is, which is why he'd make a nice linemate for Carter. I didn't say it in my previous post but I wouldn't give up Gagne for Tanguay. If Calgary is having second thoughts about him, the Flyers should have interest if the cost isn't exorbitant.
Beat me to it. The only similarities these guys have are age and skating. Tanguay is a passer playmaker and Gagne is a goal scorer. Tanguay would make a good linemate for Carter, but so will Giroux when he gets here next year (hopefully). I think goal scorers are more important for us at this point. Not to mention that Gagne is more of a two way guy.

I think Tanguay was more a product of playing on those good Colorado teams.

I would not trade Gagne for him.

Old
11-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
I think Tanguay was more a product of playing on those good Colorado teams.

I would not trade Gagne for him.
I think theyre both a product of playing with Forsberg/Sakic. Neither deserve their salary

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 01:31 PM
OMA

Flames fan here. Obviously there's tons of rumors flying around in Calgary with the struggles that we are facing right now.

Quick question though... why on earth is Umberger's name coming up in rumors right now? I haven't had a chance to watch a lot of the Flyers this year but based on what i've read (and what I saw last year) wouldn't Umberger be one of the guys that you'd want to build around? Hardworking, versatile, size and speed... doesn't make sense to move him.

As for the Iginla for Gagne rumors... i'd be shocked if any of it came to fruition. Iginla is the only guy that has shown up consistently this year (he's been great). Dealing him away would only cause this team to fall apart at the seams IMO.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 02:06 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
I think theyre both a product of playing with Forsberg/Sakic. Neither deserve their salary
Here we go again! More people that just dont get it with Gagne

Old
11-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Tanguay is a career 20% shooter... you're the product of nobody when you're shooting that accurately.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote