HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the official "I am a Jarret Stoll Fan" thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
the official "I am a Jarret Stoll Fan" thread

he has pleasantly turned into one of the more reliable oilers. His play is that of a veteran, not a rookie. I have yet to see someone say that it scares him when Jarret gets the puck.

IMO, Jarret or or Mike York will be the captain in 5 years.

Old
11-24-2003, 06:47 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
York?!?

I'm sorry, but Moreau, Smyth, and Staios will all get letters before he does, muchless the captaincy!

But yes, I love this guy, I think he'll be a Mike Peca type payer!

Old
11-24-2003, 06:50 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
he has pleasantly turned into one of the more reliable oilers. His play is that of a veteran, not a rookie. I have yet to see someone say that it scares him when Jarret gets the puck.

You're right - I'm becoming more of a fan every game...just a little bit more each time. You can tell he's not just straight out of junior, so maybe those two years of not signing with Calgary paid off for the Oilers that he could step in a little sooner, but good on him. Also nice that he didn't get lost in the shuffle when there was room on the roster but he was too sick to play.

Bart

Old
11-24-2003, 06:52 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
York?!?

I'm sorry, but Moreau, Smyth, and Staios will all get letters before he does, muchless the captaincy!

But yes, I love this guy, I think he'll be a Mike Peca type payer!
Well, Smyth already has a letter, and Moreau has worn an A before as well. Maybe even Staios! But York would make a fine captain. His problem is that there'll be a number of other fine choices when it's time for a new captain...

Bart

Old
11-24-2003, 07:09 PM
Mr Sakich

lowe seems to value charactor and he got it in spades with york and stoll. IMO, those two are the next ryan smyths. Guys who will play after losing a few chicklets and have the ability to back up their charactor.

5 years from now, smyth, york, and stoll will be the same player.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Digger12

When I look at Stoll, I look at a slightly less talented and MUCH less ugly version of Mike Ricci.

Scores goals in the tough areas around the slot, decent and improving on faceoffs, a born leader. Not a punishing hitter, but won't back down from the corners and knows what his side of the red line looks like.

Despite Lombardi's fast start, I still take Stoll 10 times out of 10 because he's a guy you can go to war with.

A typical 'greater than the sum of his parts' type of guy.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:18 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
lowe seems to value charactor and he got it in spades with york and stoll. IMO, those two are the next ryan smyths. Guys who will play after losing a few chicklets and have the ability to back up their charactor.

5 years from now, smyth, york, and stoll will be the same player.
I don't like nationalistic biases but their is no way Lowe or McTavish would let an American be the captain. If he sticks with the club no doubt he gets an A but Stoll, Moreau, Staios and Smyth will get the C light years before York even gets a sniff at it.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:46 PM
oilerdynasty

So what exactly took you all so long? And seriously. I've been him giving props since he reentered and the Oilers could draft him.

The guy is a solid player. There is not one thing you could pick in his game that isn't solid, especially for a 2nd year pro.

He will be a Captain in Edmonton, bank on it.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:58 PM
riles

He's definitely passed Horcoff on my depth chart. Great character, good penalty killer, goes to high traffic areas and can score when he gets there. Definite future captain material.

Old
11-24-2003, 09:01 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:

Stoll has been a very welcome suprise this year... it hilarious how some critics right this kid off as a checking line centre. Granted he's not the swiftess of foot but neither is Oates, Rucchin... i think alot of people forget that this kid LEAD the kootney ice to their championship. Way back when thice first picked them up when they were still in Edmonton, i remember this kid standing out as a leader back then and will be int he future. There's gonna be alot of potenial captains in the next few years with all the players coming from the minors (Lynch, Storini, Brodziak, etc.) but Stoll will be the go to guy when it comes to the final draw w/ 20 secs in your own zone with a one goal lead.

GXL

Old
11-24-2003, 09:09 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Always said he'll be captain someday, very pleased he has come into his own so fast and is giving us some much-needed center depth. He's just one of those guys, he's always won, he knows what he's doin, he's composed and yet intense. If you're not a Jarret Stoll fan, what's wrong with you??

Old
11-24-2003, 09:18 PM
OilerMania83

Stoll has been awesome this year. Everywhere I read that he was someone who lacked offensive skills. For someone who can't score...he seems to be in the right place at the right time quite often..

Old
11-24-2003, 09:26 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

anyone who can push horcoff off the ice i am a fan of

Old
11-24-2003, 10:07 PM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I don't like nationalistic biases but their is no way Lowe or McTavish would let an American be the captain. If he sticks with the club no doubt he gets an A but Stoll, Moreau, Staios and Smyth will get the C light years before York even gets a sniff at it.
Yeah there's no way an American like Doug Weight will ever captain the Oilers...

Old
11-24-2003, 11:22 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
Yeah there's no way an American like Doug Weight will ever captain the Oilers...
inserts foot in mouth. but only one American captain ever won the Stanley Cup(and it wasn't even legit Hull's foot was in the crease) I don't see it being a long lasting habit and didn't Sather appoint Weight as captain, not Lowe. Secondly Weight was a much more clear cut captain than York is and displayed a lot more leadership skills .The focus in Lowe's era of getting more local kids would also be a deterring factor local squad =local leadership. Regardless next captain is Moreau(not as local as either but I feel Lowe has been grooming him for it) unless Smith stays or Smyth signs an extension at a reasonable price(I'd still bet on Moreau getting it over top of Smyth).

Old
11-25-2003, 04:01 AM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Huge Fan
Good steady play and one of the suprises this year! He is also really chipping in offensively.

Old
11-25-2003, 05:42 AM
oilflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
inserts foot in mouth. but only one American captain ever won the Stanley Cup(and it wasn't even legit Hull's foot was in the crease) I don't see it being a long lasting habit and didn't Sather appoint Weight as captain, not Lowe. Secondly Weight was a much more clear cut captain than York is and displayed a lot more leadership skills .The focus in Lowe's era of getting more local kids would also be a deterring factor local squad =local leadership. Regardless next captain is Moreau(not as local as either but I feel Lowe has been grooming him for it) unless Smith stays or Smyth signs an extension at a reasonable price(I'd still bet on Moreau getting it over top of Smyth).
If we should takethe best available players at the drafts shouldn't we make the best leader our captain? Even if that person is not Canadian or form Alberta or Edmonton. I like Jason Smith just fine as our captain for now anyway. Who knows what will happen but if a change happens i hope the players get to vote who is the new captain.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:44 AM
the-rasta-masta

Send a message via MSN to the-rasta-masta
It's kind of cool how both players that the Flames and Oilers "traded" for each other, are doing well. Stoll is going to be a great leader.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta
It's kind of cool how both players that the Flames and Oilers "traded" for each other, are doing well. Stoll is going to be a great leader.
I agree, it's good to see both guys getting a shot that maybe they wouldn't have been given if they'd stayed with their original teams.

Stoll was someone the Oilers needed and Lombardi was someone the Flames needed. Simple as that.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:39 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I agree, it's good to see both guys getting a shot that maybe they wouldn't have been given if they'd stayed with their original teams.

Stoll was someone the Oilers needed and Lombardi was someone the Flames needed. Simple as that.
still though...

in that case they should have traded them for each other, and then EDM would have had an extra 2nd to use on someone else, and CAL an extra 3rd

Old
11-25-2003, 12:07 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta
Yeah its a nifty sidebar. I was worried that Stoll would be tainted by the Flames, who have an uncanny knack for rapidly turning promising draftees into guano.

Funny avatar.

Old
11-25-2003, 12:29 PM
theoil

What I have been wondering since the beginning is why everybody keeps saying 3rd line centre instead of 2nd line centre. Defensively responsible and gets the puck in the net when you expect it to go into the net. To me that is a 2nd line centre.

Closed Thread