HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Problem in Philly

Old
11-04-2006, 08:44 PM
jfc64

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
How are we getting Morrison and Hamrlik here? Just for Umberger and Calder? I doubt we can do that, but anyway.

I think you have some good ideas, just maybe not the right players. I dont see any upside in a 32 year old dman who has been beat up and injured or played like a 4th rounder as opposed to the 1st rounder he is most of his career. And I dont necessarily call someone whose best 3 seasons are 23, 20 an 20 goals as a proven goal scorer. If we are replacing Gagne (45 goals) with a 30 goal scorer but getting a stud #2 or 3# dman in addition to that, I may start to think about it.

Just not for the players you mentioned.

Not to be a broken record, but we arent talking about any of this if Richards, Carter, Umberger, Calder were doing half of what was expected of them. I dont think we should necessarily lose a Gagne just because our young players are not doing their job.
You want to go with Gauthier, Rathje and Hatcher, then? Hamrlik and Morrison are overpaid as well as a bit old, but we get a playing defender in Hamrlik. For Calder, Gauthier and Umberger and if it takes a secondrounder i'm in too. Umberger is no holy cow.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 08:51 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
I like the idea of Hextall as GM though.
this is who I target as the next GM too. matter of fact, I would try and get him now, so that he can dig in and get started right away. I don't want to see Holmgren pulling the trigger on a bad deal to try and save his job.

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 08:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
You want to go with Gauthier, Rathje and Hatcher, then? Hamrlik and Morrison are overpaid as well as a bit old, but we get a playing defender in Hamrlik. For Calder, Gauthier and Umberger and if it takes a secondrounder i'm in too. Umberger is no holy cow.
I am not denying that Hamrlik may be an improvement over Hatcher and Rathje, but that doesnt mean it is the right move. First off, you are just putting together lines and saying who comes and goes. What are the actual trades here?? I do not want to trade Umberger for either Morrison or Hamrlik. If Hamrlik was 4 years younger, and frankly, better, then maybe.

It is not like we need to improve this team to compete for the cup. No sense trading young guys to improve by a couple wins.

I dont see those 3 guys brining us Morrison and Hamrlik and if the trade was exactly
Umberger, Calder and Gauthier for Morrison and Hamrlik, I would not make that trade. Just my opinion.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 09:10 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad st phantom View Post
thats what i've been telling my friends, they reply with " your just a knuble knob gobbler"

anyways we need to seriously do something, and im sure blaming it on the buildings taller then city hall just isn't cutting it anymore.
LOL, but it's been working so well for me all these years.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 09:14 PM
flyersfan97

I don't think "the" problem personifies this team. There is a whole lot wrong with this team than just one thing.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 09:19 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I don't think "the" problem personifies this team. There is a whole lot wrong with this team than just one thing.
Actually, excluding the obvious problem (pylons on defense), I think there is one thing that personifies the problem with this team.

Fundamental Hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This team is just not playing good hockey, that is all there is to it.

Always out of position, cant hit the net with a shot, turnovers, etc. These are all careless mistakes and things that are supposed to be learned in pee wee hockey.

Unfortunately, we just let go one of the best fundamental hockey minds around.

Old
11-04-2006, 09:25 PM
jfc64

Quote:
I am not denying that Hamrlik may be an improvement over Hatcher and Rathje, but that doesnt mean it is the right move. First off, you are just putting together lines and saying who comes and goes. What are the actual trades here?? I do not want to trade Umberger for either Morrison or Hamrlik. If Hamrlik was 4 years younger, and frankly, better, then maybe.

It is not like we need to improve this team to compete for the cup. No sense trading young guys to improve by a couple wins.

I dont see those 3 guys brining us Morrison and Hamrlik and if the trade was exactly
Umberger, Calder and Gauthier for Morrison and Hamrlik, I would not make that trade. Just my opinion.
We are not in a position to only bring in what we like the most. We must gamble a little. And one lousy Umberger doesn't mean the whole world. Morrison for Calder and a secondrounder. Umberger and Gauthier for Hamrlik. The secondrounder and Umberger is the cost. Having Hamrlik instead of Gauthier for a season is the potential upside. I would start with trying to get Hamrlik.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 09:43 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
We are not in a position to only bring in what we like the most. We must gamble a little. And one lousy Umberger doesn't mean the whole world. Morrison for Calder and a secondrounder. Umberger and Gauthier for Hamrlik. The secondrounder and Umberger is the cost. Having Hamrlik instead of Gauthier for a season is the potential upside. I would start with trying to get Hamrlik.
Ok. Now I have something to work with.

This is just my opinion now.

I would not trade Umberger for Hamrlik. A dman about 3-4 years younger, maybe. Unless this team is somehow trying to win in the next year or two, I do not do this.

Calder and pick for Morrison is not a bad trade IMO (although I am not sure Vancouver would do it unless they want to dump Morrison for some reason, which leaves them really thin at center), but, this only works if we are making Carter or Forsberg a full time winger. I dont think we need a center and that also tie up more salary for next year in Morrison where as if Calder doesnt turn it around that is $3 million we can spend on defense next year and replace Calder with Giroux.

Old
11-04-2006, 10:01 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Unfortunately, we just let go one of the best fundamental hockey minds around.

The fundamentals on the team broke down last in January. He had plenty of time to work on them

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:06 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
The fundamentals on the team broke down last in January. He had plenty of time to work on them
No. Most of the bones, ligaments, labrums, etc. broke down on this team last January. Not the fundamentals.

Cause they have played so much better under Stevens.

Old
11-04-2006, 10:13 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
No. Most of the bones, ligaments, labrums, etc. broke down on this team last January. Not the fundamentals.

Cause they have played so much better under Stevens.

They were not playing good hockey in the second half of the season, regardless of who was in the lineup. We had a good first half, then the rest of the league figured out how to play in the new NHL, we didn't. And it has carried over to this year.

And no, the team has sucked just as bad under Stevens. They have however won twice as many games under Stevens

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:45 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
They were not playing good hockey in the second half of the season, regardless of who was in the lineup. We had a good first half, then the rest of the league figured out how to play in the new NHL, we didn't. And it has carried over to this year.

And no, the team has sucked just as bad under Stevens. They have however won twice as many games under Stevens
One of them against a team in Chicago that they would have beat if you or I were coaching.

Old
11-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Beastieboy

I believe this team started to really hurt when 3 things happened. First Primeau, then Johnsson and Desjardins. They lost heart and they lost skill on D and they can't have guys like Hatcher logging 28 minutes of ice (or any minutes of ice). When they had 6 D they could let them play 15-20 minutes each they were fine, especially when some like Rico and Kim Johnsson could actually handle the puck so it didn't look like a live grenade. When they were hurt that is when the offence dried up because puck movement, outlet passes, jumping in the play, etc. are all part of what they brought to the game. We miss that. I would rather have Desjardins out of retirement and Hatcher collecting his pension and wearing polyester flood pants in Florida. Lou brought Tommy Albelin back from the dead a few times. Hey Rico... feel like playing again? All healed up?

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 10:15 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
As a Devils fan, I'm even beginning to enjoy these threads where people come up with thoughtful, unique, and relevant ideas on the Flyers situation... Even if they arent so unique.

While I personally agree with the original idea behind the post (IE, Flyers need improved defense above all else), this problem is apparantly one that is best left alone as much of the Flyers defense is apprantly young and inexperienced. (So I've been told by my friend)

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote