HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor: Lighting itching to make a deal.

Old
11-03-2006, 03:03 PM
IcE ColD

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King © View Post
let's hope not
+ 1,000,000

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:05 PM
AH

Thank God St Louis has a NTC. On top of that, he hates the idea of playing in MTL.

No Marty St louis for us.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:07 PM
THEREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Alas, we'll probably have to live with those rumours for the better part of the next decade.

But FWIW, giving them the fantasy treatment they deserve:

I wouldn't trade Kovalev for St.Louis (and I'm no huge Kovalev fan). Why take that longer, more expensive contract for a player who isn't significantly better?

And I wouldn't take Lecavalier, period. It doesn't really matter what the trade is, Lecavalier hasn't proven himself to be a $7M player. And if you're going to re-structure our entire team payroll around the concept of bringing in a $7M player, then that player had damned well better be worth the $7M. Right now, Lecavalier isn't worth it. Maybe by the summer of 2010 or whenever it is that he nexts becomes a UFA we could revisit the question of acquiring him... just by signing him. But that's about the extent of my interest in Lecavalier.
+1

THEREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Lecavalier probably is a superstar. Latendresse will never be.

However, I'm not saying to stockpile on Quebec native player.

But if we could somehow end up with two french superstar, I would be thrilled.
Lecavalier is not a superstar.

The only people who see him as a superstar tend to be Montreal Canadien fans and media, and maybe a couple homer Lightning fans. The only reason 'superstar' ever gets thrown into the same sentence with him is because of his 1st overall draft status.

Maybe you have different criteria of what a superstar is, but in my opinion is it used way too often. There are very few 'superstars' in the NHL.

He's a highly skilled player. A definite 'star' in this league. And I'd probably take him on my team if he had a much different salary. But no superstar.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
With the way Souray is going and the way Conroy is going, I would expect a much better return from the Kings for Souray. Especially when you consider Souray's toughness and leadership. Souray for Conroy could be the type of trade that could blow up the chemistry of this Habs team that is playing excellent hockey.
that is why the trade will not happen now, gainey has no reason to make a trade now, the team is playing great. closer to the deadline, after our injured D return then we will trade. and if sourays value is high then yes, we will get better return, possibly a prospect as well

whoever trades with Tampa will need to have cap room or be exchanging significant contracts back. they will have to offer something of value.
ie not likely to trade with vancouver unless naslund is invoved
not likely to trade with washington, because they do not have much in value to return to them.

colorado could be a good option, maybe hedjuk, but he is playing quite well right now. could be calgary, but they would have to send back hamirlik Langkow and a pick/prospect, but even then calgaries cap would be tight, and i dont even know if tampa would be interested in that.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Pascal

I'd love to get Richards, but not a 7M Vinny or the winger St. Louis.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Schooner Guy

I just can't see Souray getting traded this season as long as the Habs are in the playoff picture. His shot on the PP, leadership, and toughness are just too valuable in the playoffs. I know they'll lose him in the offseason but this is a new reality under the salary cap. You keep guys while they're paid reasonably and once their price becomes too high, hopefully you have assets in your farm system to replace them with.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Artyukhin*

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hocke..._up_the_bolts/

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kruky

The way I see it.

If Tampa trade Lecavalier or St-Louis, it's to unload salary. Don't expect much in return when you unload in salary except for draft picks and a few prospect.

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:37 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
Lecavalier is not a superstar.

The only people who see him as a superstar tend to be Montreal Canadien fans and media, and maybe a couple homer Lightning fans. The only reason 'superstar' ever gets thrown into the same sentence with him is because of his 1st overall draft status.

Maybe you have different criteria of what a superstar is, but in my opinion is it used way too often. There are very few 'superstars' in the NHL.

He's a highly skilled player. A definite 'star' in this league. And I'd probably take him on my team if he had a much different salary. But no superstar.
it 's the montreal fans that signed him at 7 M$ . No one else would have signed him at that amount ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I'd love to get Richards, but not a 7M Vinny or the winger St. Louis.
richards gets like 7.8! keep dreaming
the guy gettign traded will be st louis, but i dont see who would be interested in him, it will be funny if it is calgary!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:41 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
good thing that he put the blame on the players , not on the coach .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Habsfan18

I'll be very angry if Kovalev gets dealt.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I think it's no secret that the lightning were eventually going to have to trade one of the big three. ( http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tbl061102.html )

Now, I'm thinking that either Vinny or St. Louis will be up in trade talks (even though both would have to waive their no trade clause).

We've all heard that Gainey has inquired about Vinny, so their's always a possibility that we could be set for the trade. So, make your proposals (keep in mind that Richards is very unlikely to being dealt).

Ps: There was a rumor on CKAC that said Kovalev for St. Louis was in talks.
I sure as hell hope not

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuCKoivu View Post
i dont want lecavalier he's too inconcistent and the media will create alot of problems in the team because of him ! Beside, 2 french superstars (Lecavalier and Latendresse) in the team is not good...
When did Latendresse go from a 4th line, 5 minute a night player, to a superstar?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Burnside_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
My guess:

Lecavalier to Colorado..

Good guess, but less likely now that Lacroix isn't the gm.

My guess is that feaster will probably trade vinny, because he'll get a higher return for him. Probably to some team no one expected.

No way in hell does St-Louis gets traded, he has one of the worst contract in the league right now, second to Dipietro's as far as I know... I doubt anyone would sacrifice anything significant + cap space for him.

Richards' contract is also wayyyyyy too big for anyone to trade for him.

Vinny's contrat is also pretty big, but still a bit more afforbable than the other two. if he goes it will be to a team with cap space, since Tampa wants to gain more of it. So they won't take another big contrat to compensate, because if they don't clear a significant amount of cap space then there's no use to trade the guy.

I don't know what the habs cap space is but I really don't think we have any room, therefore the possibility of vinny coming to MTL is pretty slim as we speak.

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:50 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
'Cause as much the game is about speed and skills, it's also about winning your battles along the board and while guys like Higgins plays like he was 6'4'', St-Louis is not playing that way but Kovy is awesome at protectin the puck and creating scoring chances.

To win, you need a little bit of everything, reason why our lines work now, reason why it didn't work before, St-Louis doesn't do it for me though he has picked it up big time this year, who will play center between him and Sammy? Pleks?

We saw the defensive work Kovy has done already, helping our d-men down low, winning most of his battles and so, though I won't put everybody on the same boat, as feisty you are, if you're 5'8'' chances are you're going to get beat by the 6'2''......unless you name is Higgins of course.....
Are you kidding me? St-Louis not good in the boards or not doing what it takes to win? I'm sure you didn't watch him before the lockout or in the playoffs the year the bolts won the cup!!! For a guy of his height he's very very strong, he does win lots of battles in the boards. I'm sure most of us would want St-Louis if his salary was 3,5 millions for example...there's something called '' Salary cap'' now that's why we can't deal for him. We can only wish to have a player with such speed and intensity.

Last edited by CH Wizard: 11-03-2006 at 05:12 PM.
CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Habs_Apostle

My immediate reaction: Fooey that! And 7 friggin million my ***. They are not needed, nor wanted. Making a trade like that would be a massive change chemistry-wise, cap-wise, and any other-wise. The team is finding its form now. I say slow and steady as she goes mate, slow and steady.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Teufelsdreck

I wouldn't want the Habs to trade for either St. Louis or Richards. Neither would elevate the Habs into becoming serious competitors with Buffalo. The only trade with TB I would consider would bring Lecavalier here. Even that trade would have to be made with the future as well as the present in mind. It would be more than slightly unwise to part with Higgins or Komisarek even as a means of getting Lecavalier. Other than that, every player (except Koivu, who has a no trade clause in his contract) would be eligible.

Someone in this thread mentioned (I'm sure not seriously) being thrilled about having two Québécois superstars. I'm afraid the Habs would have to make still another trade to get that second superstar because he isn't playing for the Habs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
it 's the montreal fans that signed him at 7 M$ . No one else would have signed him at that amount ...
From my post, read:

"The only people who see him as a superstar tend to be Montreal Canadien fans and media, and maybe a couple homer Lightning fans. The only reason 'superstar' ever gets thrown into the same sentence with him is because of his 1st overall draft status."

see = present. saw = past tense.

Lecavalier was offered and signed that deal over a year ago. Im sure many more people thought he was a superstar in 2004. Too bad they were wrong.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 04:00 PM
One Trick Pony

why would we take st.louis.. we needed a center and we found one: kovalev no need for trades now

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Habs4ever

Why did tampa get in trouble?

its obvious that they over paid for their star players, and doing so they put mediocre team on ice, similarly we let go Theo making big bucks and replaced it with more talent..

I don't want vinny, St.louise or Richard mostly because we need to sign four impending blueliner next year, and our youngsters will be looking for raise as well, taking this contract from Tampa would only create more problems for us, why bail them out, they got their cup let them suffer I actually feel good seeing how they spend all their money in three players...

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 04:34 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Alas, we'll probably have to live with those rumours for the better part of the next decade.

But FWIW, giving them the fantasy treatment they deserve:

I wouldn't trade Kovalev for St.Louis (and I'm no huge Kovalev fan). Why take that longer, more expensive contract for a player who isn't significantly better?

And I wouldn't take Lecavalier, period. It doesn't really matter what the trade is, Lecavalier hasn't proven himself to be a $7M player. And if you're going to re-structure our entire team payroll around the concept of bringing in a $7M player, then that player had damned well better be worth the $7M. Right now, Lecavalier isn't worth it. Maybe by the summer of 2010 or whenever it is that he nexts becomes a UFA we could revisit the question of acquiring him... just by signing him. But that's about the extent of my interest in Lecavalier.
got to agree with everything , i think our motto should be , don't fix it if it's not broke . i love the way the team is playing now , we're firing on all cylinders and everything is working fine . i think we should ride this wave for as long as possible and only make a trade when circumstances dictate it .

habsfan44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 05:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
We're third in the east and sixth in the league, there's no need for us to make a move which would clearly shake up the core of our roster...it would be trading for the sake of trading. I'd like to get Lecavelier as a UFA or something but there's no sense in dismantling our entire team just to get him, which is what it'd take.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2006, 05:11 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
Nah... I understand what you mean, there's stars (Gagne, Drury, Brière..), superstars(Sundin, Heatley, Thornton, Sakic..) and the phenomenom (Crosby, Ovechkin, Jagr, Gretzky, Lemieux....)

In my mind, he reach the superstar status in the Stanley Cup finals and in the World Cup.

I think he could be more consistantly at his all-stars level in a more passionnate hockey market.

I mean, I'm not bashing Tampa market, I think it's the best fan base down South... But me thinks, that for a guy that was born in the snow and the habs religion there's just too much sand and bikini in Tampa for him to be able to bring his best game every night.

Last edited by CoupeStanley: 11-03-2006 at 05:20 PM.
CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote