HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What hockey means in your life.

Old
09-26-2006, 06:22 AM
BCCHL inactive

vCash: 500
What hockey means in your life.

Be forewarned, I'm kinda venting here .....well no, I AM venting here.

I'm sitting here at almost 4:30am, unable to sleep despite only having about 12 hours of sleep in the last 3 days, and the reason is that I may be having a revelation about where hockey stands in my life, and why I might choose to walk away from the game in any official capacity I am currently involved.

First of all, my job has me busier than hell. This is a good thing because it is a job I love, and I am willing to do anything to keep it, and as I'm realizing very early this morning, quitting hockey altogether just might be an option, and sooner than I had ever expected. (How can I possibly complain about my job ...saw the Seahawks kill the Giants yesterday...tickets, tailgate passes and Seahawks $80 US jacket, all free of charge... going to see the Raptors in November too... free of charge as well... if my life consisted of just my job, I'd be the happiest guy on the planet).

Secondly, I have had some personal demons to battle over the last year or so, and the battles aren't going as well as I had hoped. The rink used to be a place of refuge for me, now my job has completely replaced the rink in that aspect. In fact, due to a possible momentary lack of judgment on my part in posting on the BCHL's message board (still have to go back and read some stuff I said), any upcoming time spent at the rink as a volunteer is going to be quite uncomfortable, that is, if I don't resign first.

Basically, the rink isn't a fun place for me anymore. I sit here tonight, instead of having a goal of being a local linesman in the WHL, I'd rather buy season tickets for the Cougars and just go watch without having to worry about putting stats online and have colleagues telling me I gotta lose weight (I'm not stupid, I ****ng know, you don't have to tell me every time you see me).

I'll still assign the bantam and midget rep I promised my dad I would do (he runs the administrative part of our refs association), but I think for on-ice, I won't be doing many games this season, if any at all. I can't even say I will be back next season, or in the near future. I'm going to be 23 in April. It's time for me to grow up, find a way to beat my personal demons and lay a foundation for my life. Whether or not hockey is a part of that is yet to be seen.

So this thread isn't a total waste of space, I'll ask anybody reading it... Where does hockey, for those involved as players, coaches, refs, volunteers, etc., fit into your life?

BCCHL inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Goalie_Gal

I'm almost embarassed to admit it, but my life basically revolves around hockey. My husband and I both play at least 3 times a week, and now that the season is starting soon I'll get my Center Ice package so I can watch out of market games when my Rangers aren't playing. I am miserable in the summer... and let's not even talk about the lockout.

That said, I can kind of relate to your situation. I used to bellydance (yes I went from bellydancing to goaltending, don't ask) and much like you it was my refuge, my release. But things started changing and the dynamic in the group I was in got strange, and other things were involved as well and I found myself dreading going to rehearsals and classes and not wanting to commit to performances. So I quit. I never ever thought I would quit dancing, but it wasn't fun any more. And as soon as I did, I felt so relieved. It allowed me to pursue other avenues in my life... which eventually lead to playing hockey (I've always been a fan, just never played before recently).

It's a total cliche but it's true; you never know what door will open when another one closes. If you're feeling like it's more of an obligation than something you *want* to do, listen to your gut. At least that's been my experience anyway. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Puckboy

I love it, my kids love it. Going to the rink is fun everytime wheter it is to watch, play, or coach. It is a way of life. With that being said without a job is first thing. I need to take care of my family first and then give them the treats of hockey or other things they want. If you don't want to ref don't do it. You are not giving up on hockey you said you want tickets so that you can just watch. I think anyone who is involved with hockey to any high degree they stick with it in some way that suits them.

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Hugh Madbrough

I'm not embarrassed at all to say hockey is the second biggest thing in my life next to my wife. I played from the time I was a kid and it was definitely my biggest love as a kid up until I was about 22. I kept playing til I was 26 but was going through the motions for a few years. I was totally burnt out on hockey and the only reason I played was that my room mate did. I stopped playing for three years and did not miss it. This past spring my wife convinced me to start playing again. The rust is still coming off but I look forward to going to the rink as much as I can. If I could skate every day I would.

It sounds like you are sick of Reffing. I Reffed for a few years and at first I liked it but I think it is really what burned me out on hockey. There is no way in hell I would ever ref another game. Maybe you should take some time off from the rink. It did me a world of good.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 10:00 AM
mac-sniper

grow a bag and dont quit. i quit for a few years and im tryin to make varsity now. if you quit youre a *****.

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Gino 14

Sounds like you need to deal with whatever you said on the other Board before you do anything else. If you posted something stupid, own up to it and get it behind you, if you don't, you'll always regret not having done it. After you clear that up, give yourself some time and re-evaluate. If the answer comes up the same, do what you feel in your heart. Just don't let something you wrote in a "momentary lapse of judgement" screw you over.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 12:19 PM
stick9

I've played hockey since I was 7. I grew up on a a lake in New England. When the ice was safe I was out there until it got dark.

Anyway, I was big into music. I played guitar for years (started in Jr high school) and played a lot. I worked at a music store repairing and selling guitars for awhile. I even worked as a guitar tech for a local band. Music and guitar were my life. At one point I was playing guitar somewhere around six hours a day. I would jam with friends go to adutions....whatever as long as I had my axe with me I was happy. I was living the life of the local muscian. It was a blast...some of the best years of my life.

Then I started playing hockey again. Instead of hanging out at the local clubs I was at the rink. I was playing in leagues and late at nights in pick up games. I was playing guitar less and less. After an on ice wrist injury I stopped playing guitar all together. When the wrist healed I didn't pick it back up. A close friend asked me why I wasn't playing guitar anymore. I told him, it's just not fun anymore. I wasn't get the same kind of enjoyment and release I used to get from it. Hockey was that release now. I had done both in the past so that wasn't the problem. Later I came to realize that certian things are important to us at certain times in our lives. Guitar just wasn't imporant to me anymore. People still ask me why I don't still play and I tell them. The time it would take to get back to the level I was at would take hours a day and for what... To sit in m basement jamming out tunes to the mice and spiders... The effort didn't seem worth it and I wouldn't be happy just strumming the guitar like some old hippie.

Hockey is a very big part of my life. Watching, playing and even talking about it is a thrill.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I played growing up and all through HS. My senior year I did not progress as much as my coaches or I had hoped and I found myself getting very limited minutes as a 6th D. I was fed up at that point and walked away from the game. I gave away all my gear, stopped watching the NHL, and tried to forget that I ever even played the game, let alone loved it.

A few years after college, I was looking for a way to stay in shape in addition to the gym, so I decided to give rec league hockey a try. I had poo-poohed men's leagues for years since they were non-contact, and I thought hockey without checking isn't real hockey. But I decided to play anyway and I've fallen back in love with the game that has taught me so much over the years. I've made some lifelong friends, had some awesome times, gotten in better shape, and become a better player now than I was back in the old HS days.

When I first stopped playing, I wanted to forget about the game and the frustrations it gave me, but being back in a league for fun or skating at midnight with a group of other dudes out there for the sake of shooting pucks and having a laugh is definitely a big part of my life now.

Take a break from hockey if you feel like it, let things cool down, then get back when you're ready. Sort out your life first and hockey will always be there to take you back.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Hockey is an outlet.

I trained from the time I was 11-18 in one sport. I loved it. I went to Nationals a bunch of times, went to World Jrs and did well.
Then I got injured. I came back too early and am still suffering from the injury. I needed something that was totally different.

I played hockey when I was younger so I decided to pick up the stick again and play. I have gotten 3 of my friends and my cousin into playing (all of them begininers) and they have all fallen in love with it.

Because I work so much (and spend the rest of the time at the gym) playing hockey is a way of socalizing. It's a common intrest I share with people. My boyfriend and I play shinny against each other whenever we can. Sure an elbow is thrown every once in a while, sometimes a cheap shot, sometimes a slash across the wrists (never me ) but its something that brings us together.
He coached my team when our regular coach couldn't make it. We talk hockey, we live for hockey.

Everyone in my family plays. My dad played CIS, my mom picked it up when she turned 35. It really is a tie that binds.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Allsmokenopancake

I know how you feel, I once shot a man in reno, just to watch him die

Allsmokenopancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Happy Pony

Right now it's number one. I'm playing twice a week for my hockey "class" and I got to shinny all the time, I would have played club but I didn't have the money and my parents refused to pay because it would distract from my studies. When classes are hard then they become the number one priority but right now it stands as;

1. Hockey
2. Class
3. The lady

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 09:26 PM
mac-sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook View Post
I played growing up and all through HS. My senior year I did not progress as much as my coaches or I had hoped and I found myself getting very limited minutes as a 6th D. I was fed up at that point and walked away from the game. I gave away all my gear, stopped watching the NHL, and tried to forget that I ever even played the game, let alone loved it.

A few years after college, I was looking for a way to stay in shape in addition to the gym, so I decided to give rec league hockey a try. I had poo-poohed men's leagues for years since they were non-contact, and I thought hockey without checking isn't real hockey. But I decided to play anyway and I've fallen back in love with the game that has taught me so much over the years. I've made some lifelong friends, had some awesome times, gotten in better shape, and become a better player now than I was back in the old HS days.

When I first stopped playing, I wanted to forget about the game and the frustrations it gave me, but being back in a league for fun or skating at midnight with a group of other dudes out there for the sake of shooting pucks and having a laugh is definitely a big part of my life now.

Take a break from hockey if you feel like it, let things cool down, then get back when you're ready. Sort out your life first and hockey will always be there to take you back.
yeah duster, you said "poo-pooh". you have no right to decide what is "real" and not regarding hockey.

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Hockeylover

Sorry to hear about your problems, buddy.

In my case, hockey is the FIRST thing in my life as I'm a loser in pretty much all the aspects of life. Without it, I think I'd be 6 feet under. I will be 42 in a month and just started ball hockey three years ago. I must be one of the older guys in the league and proud of the way of I'm playing. I'll never be the best scorer of any division, but I have passion for hockey like nobody I know. I want to play as long as I can walk. One of the few things that keeps me alive is the next game I'll play.

Hockeylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Alain Racette

I love hockey! Though I don't play it, it gives me something to look forward to once the season starts. It's a significant makeup of my life and love nothing more than talking hockey to fellow enthusiasts, getting into debates, etc. Next to my girlfriend and family, hockey is next on my list for my thirst of life.

I've always wanted to play hockey and regret not playing in my youth! Maybe once I'm done school I'll take up skating and learn to play the game. I've always wanted to play pick-up. Heck, I've even had dreams where I was a hockey player (from third-line grinding winger with clutch scoring abilities like Fernando Pisani or Claude Lemieux, to a dazzlinng dangler and stickhandler like Alexei Kovalev) and sometimes a general manager.

I love hockey. It is a great game!

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 01:27 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-sniper View Post
grow a bag and dont quit. i quit for a few years and im tryin to make varsity now. if you quit youre a *****.
Come on man. If you have nothing valuable to add (as everybody else who posted has), then why bother clicking "submit reply"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
It sounds like you are sick of Reffing. I Reffed for a few years and at first I liked it but I think it is really what burned me out on hockey. There is no way in hell I would ever ref another game. Maybe you should take some time off from the rink. It did me a world of good.
I'm not sick of reffing. Being on the ice in the middle of all the action is great. It's the off-ice baggage that comes with it in minor hockey that has my motivation to step on the ice drained to nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Sounds like you need to deal with whatever you said on the other Board before you do anything else. If you posted something stupid, own up to it and get it behind you, if you don't, you'll always regret not having done it. After you clear that up, give yourself some time and re-evaluate. If the answer comes up the same, do what you feel in your heart. Just don't let something you wrote in a "momentary lapse of judgement" screw you over.
I think my mistake in this situation is not necessarily that I said something. Whether saying it was the right decision or not, my opinions remain. Doing what I do at BCHL games hasn't been fun for roughly two years, and it does coincide with the hiring of the current coach. My mistake was not turning in my jacket when I first lost enjoyment.

That said, I still have questions about how they found out I post on that message board. There is no possible way they could have traced anything to my computer (I've looked into it already), and I have no contact information (name, email, anything) on my profile there. The only way they could come to any conclusion is from the one user who has been freely verbally attacking me recently, and publically saying what I do, both at the rink and for a living. He obviously knows who I am, yet I'm clueless as to his identity. If my theory about who this person is connected to is correct, I have no desire to ever set foot back into that arena.

BCCHL inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 05:43 AM
Gino 14

Good luck in whatever you decide. Whatever it may be, hopefully it still involves hockey.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 05:58 AM
vexXed

Simply put: I love hockey, and find myself making it my no.1 priority above pretty much everything else. Which I know is stupid, especially cause I'm no good at it.

I got in to hockey by playing NHL 2001 on a mates computer when I was bored one day at university. Started watching it late night on T.V. and saw the Flyers play Boston, but they had a documentary before the game about the whole Lindros saga. I now follow the Flyers religiously and look forward to every article, every game, and every little thing about them. Decided to try something new at uni too so I just jumped right in to it. Got all the gear, started playing and wished I had been playing as soon as I had learned to walk. I met with another guy and girl who were interested in setting up a uni team and they asked if I was interested in helping to set it up. So we established the team and maaaan, that was hard work.

Played defense for our team, the Edinburgh Eagles in the British Universities Ice Hockey Association for a couple of years and I had the most amazing time. The team spirit was something I had never experienced before as I didn't do much apart from target shooting at school. The long road trips we made to England and back, the intensity of the games, the training, everything was great. I was one of the lesser skilled players but I still loved it. The best feeling was managing to stick check way more skillful players than me on a fairly consistant basis, and that took me a long time to acheive. I guess I was kidding myself when I thought that I would just be a student forever and that I would play for the team forever, but the realization came and I had to move on. I wanted to learn Mandarin in Shanghai but the 1st thing I looked up wasn't which course or what uni there... it was whether or not they had a rink and organised hockey.

So after uni I am now in Shanghai learning Mandarin for a year. I went to the rink a couple of weeks ago to play with a lot of expats from all over the world, and I have never been so dissaponted in my life. No markings on the ice, no slapshots allowed, mist so bad I can't even see 5 feet in front of me (no joke), no drills just a 2 hour scrimmage, 4 on 4 cause the rink is too small, and no one my age (23) that I feel I can relate to. After playing for an hour and a half, and not playing well at all I just sat down depressed for 20 minutes thinking whether or not it was even worth going. It's miles away from where I am, and costs me a lot to go there and back, especially 2 to 3 times a week. I kept running the thoughts of how **** it was compared to back at uni. Then I couldn't believe that I was actually thinking of not playing. I was pretty pissed off and even felt sick with my thoughts. I mean, this was hockey... the thing I LOVE, yet here I am considering quitting for a year.

I still don't know what to do. I suppose I'll give it a few more chances, for the love of the game.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Orthodox Caveman

I just flat out love the game. I enjoy watching (especially the playoffs), I love the strategies of the game,I love hockey physics,and I love to play. I look forward to drop-ins every week and I enjoy learning more about the game and improving my skils every week. It's great excercise also. It means alot in my life because it is a positive outlet for me. Great stress reliever and fun to play.

I have a great job and I'm in college, but I make sure that I fit hockey into my life.

Orthodox Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
I wanted to learn Mandarin in Shanghai but the 1st thing I looked up wasn't which course or what uni there... it was whether or not they had a rink and organised hockey.
Heh, i'm moving to Taiwan in a couple weeks to teach english, and the reason i'm picking taiwan is because i've found a place to play hockey there.

keep it up, it'll get better i'm sure. the key thing about hockey isn't running drills or whether slapshots are allowed, it's the feeling of moving at a high speed over ice and seeing a hole and going for it.

If you've got ice, sticks and a puck, you'll be fine.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 07:48 PM
DaveyCrockett

I love playing, watching and reffing. I have been a fan my whole life but got into hockey huge a couple years ago when I first started playing at 17. I've ran my own summer team for the past two season and I ref and play intramural hockey at my university. I love playing baseball just as much and take it more seriously but I am a bigger hockey fan.

DaveyCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 10:13 PM
vexXed

Quote:
Heh, i'm moving to Taiwan in a couple weeks to teach english, and the reason i'm picking taiwan is because i've found a place to play hockey there.

keep it up, it'll get better i'm sure. the key thing about hockey isn't running drills or whether slapshots are allowed, it's the feeling of moving at a high speed over ice and seeing a hole and going for it.

If you've got ice, sticks and a puck, you'll be fine.
Ha, glad to see that I'm not the only one with screwed up priorities

Well, shorty after writing that above post, I went to the S.H. hockey website and noticed there was hockey on that very night. I went along to give it another chance, and it turns out it was a lot better than before, as there was no mist this time. Hell I even scored a nice breakaway goal as a D man and had a beautiful assist. I guess the mist was the biggest thing pissing me off so now that it's gone I think I will keep it up

I suppose ice time and hockey is what matters most, even though its not what you're used to.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2006, 11:21 PM
CapsChemist

Right now playing hockey after classes end is the only thing thats keeping me sane. I comute to school and live and home but a great deal of my friends went off to live at their colleges so im the pretty much alone at home. I just go to the local roller rink to let of steam, if im lucky i can catch a pick up game. Most of the time im the only one out their just taking shots. When im playing hockey, even if its just by myself i forget about all the ******** in life, its really the only escape i have except for when i visit my friends at college.

What am i gonna do when the sun starts setting earlier and i wont have any daylight out to playwith?

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Transported Upstater

I haven't played hockey in over ten years.
I haven't skated in probably almost that long.
I know next to nothing compared to many people on HF.

It sounds bizarre, but I'll say it: I love hockey with all my heart, but I'd rather be absorbed in it than play it myself.

Van, when it gets to the point where anything hockey related is no longer fun or worthwhile and you can't see it getting much better, you have to take a step back. I'm about your age (a bit older), and had to make what I called at the time a "phase change" (cut me some slack, I'm a long-time chemistry nerd) in my life; a complete switch of future goals.

I may be biased seeing as I grew up entirely without the game of hockey and had to discover it myself, but for most people, there is life without hockey, if it comes to that.

Life without HF, however, is a different story for yours truly. As you can see by my unfathomably high posting rate, I personally have no life beyond my university status and HF. You have NO idea how well it works as a pickup line..."Hey baby, my HF POSTING RATE IS HUUUUUUUUUGGGEEEE..." The ladies flock to me like Keith Tkachuk to a Chinese Buffet, man.

Good luck, Van.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Jack Canuck

I never had the chance to play hockey when I was growing up so I am kinda making up for it now at 30. I play a couple of times per week and watch games whenever I get the chance. For me, hockey is the best sport there is.

However, I play because I enjoy the game and it is fun every time I go. I look forward to it all week long. If the game is no longer fun then it may be time to pull away a little and concentrate on those things that do make your life more enjoyable.

Also, if you stop playing hockey it does not mean that you can never go back.

Jack Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:06 PM
colton23

The truth

HOCKEY PLAYERS: The cockiest, dirtiest, most irresponsible group of athletes in the world. We'll do anything and come back to tell our teammates about it. Live the dream until they are 35 then realize they never made it. beezies want to be us, we are the soul of the universe. You lace up the skates, put on the gloves, strap on the helmet, and walk on to the ice and nothing else matters. It doesn't matter that you failed a test, your girl is bein a *****, or that you got a ticket on the way there...you're world is absolutely perfect for the next couple hours Here's to faceoffs, goals, assists, overtime, livin' on the road, cold rinks, early mornings, breakaways, goin' top shelf, countless hours of practice, bag skates,thousands of dollars, dangling d-men, big hits, broken twigs, new skates, packin' bombs, coaches, adding the letter "y" to the end of everyone's last name, the word "****", pick up, fights, let downs, miracles and most of all - the game, Hockey Why? Why do we skate back and forth night after night? Skating so hard we throw up. Skating so hard your heart beat rings in your head, while your lungs are grasping for air. Late nights, early mornings, Friday nights, Saturday evenings, broken bones, torn muscles and deep bruises. We skate through it all. Because we live off our adrenaline, because the game frees your spirit, because the party in the locker room is fine, because your invincible once you step on the ice, because a shot can make you smile all night, sniping the twine, the rattling of the boards, the feel of the puck, and skates carving into the ice is a rhythm to live by, because its possible to skate fast enough to leave all your worries behind. Sweat is the cologne of our accomplishment. Why? Why would someone push themselves so hard? It's not for the money, it's not for the fame. We do it because we love it. Hockey = Life

colton23 is offline   Reply With Quote