HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We are [...] away from being a contender

Old
11-05-2006, 09:51 PM
SP

vCash: 500
Higgins - Begin - Ryder for 25 minutes a game = cup.

That is, as long as Ottawa can't put together a Hunter - Fisher - Eaves line.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I'd like a veteran scoring center. Kovalev is a short-term solution. I'm not sold on his face-offs and defensive zone coverage.

But there aren't a lot of options when it comes to the cap and roster assets. There's Lang, but I'm pretty sure that tire has been kicked a few times by Gainey, which tells me that Detroit isn't keen on giving him away.

Ideally, Philly will continue to swirl the bowl, and Forsberg will agree to waive his NTC even to come to Montreal. It's very unlikely, but if those two circumstances were met, I'd hope that Gainey tries very hard to get him.
I swear by all that is holy and sacred that if that I happens I will buy a Forsberg Jersey trifecta (National Team, Canadiens and first nhl team, Quebec).

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:40 AM
SOLR

We are a 1st line center away from contention. Koivu is a 2nd center on any contender team.

Yes, I'm thinking of Lecavalier, Marleau etc guys with serious impact, that would cost some of our future, but make us a contender.

Defense, with cube and dandy we are fine, if we add a first line center.

Lets just hope the Lightning are going down the drain before christmas.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:54 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
We are a 1st line center away from contention. Koivu is a 2nd center on any contender team.

Yes, I'm thinking of Lecavalier, Marleau etc guys with serious impact, that would cost some of our future, but make us a contender.

Defense, with cube and dandy we are fine, if we add a first line center.

Lets just hope the Lightning are going down the drain before christmas.
At the deadline Lecavalier will still cost about 2.5 million on this season's cap (so for the time being let's completely ignore the ramifications of having him next season)
That pretty much removes any possibility of calling someone up for depth (as we can carry more than 23 players), and what we'd have to send back would likely be a package of Ryder+ or Higgins+. I'd rather wait until next season than hemorrhage our team for a longshot at the Cup this year.

Forsberg later in the season would definitely be a good deal, but I fear what Philly would ask for in return. I would be willing to part with a winger prospect (one of grabo or kosty maybe) and a conditional pick (on re-signing him, which I wouldn't do) for Forsberg if we are putting the pieces together as a team by then.

11-06-2006, 03:58 AM
jordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Sit Latendresse in the press box and use Lapierre or Ferland in his place. That would be a huge improvement to this club that is darn close to being a serious contender.
Chain Latendresse to a chair. Don't let him watch the game. He might jinx it.

He can have a computer to talk on MSN.

jordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:45 AM
hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I'd like a veteran scoring center. Kovalev is a short-term solution. I'm not sold on his face-offs and defensive zone coverage.

But there aren't a lot of options when it comes to the cap and roster assets. There's Lang, but I'm pretty sure that tire has been kicked a few times by Gainey, which tells me that Detroit isn't keen on giving him away.

Ideally, Philly will continue to swirl the bowl, and Forsberg will agree to waive his NTC even to come to Montreal. It's very unlikely, but if those two circumstances were met, I'd hope that Gainey tries very hard to get him.
exactly, that second line with kovy at center needs to be addresed going into the playoffs.

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
We are 1 or 2 great puck moving d-men away from being a contender. I seriously think that our offense is fine the way it is, if we had a better transition game, we would be really dangerious......Goaltending is doing the job as of now, so some might say a true #1 with game-breaking abilities and some good puckhandling around the net (it's coming, it's coming...) but not right now. Both guys are doing the job properly.

I just wish our transition game and better first passes would make our team much faster and more dangerous.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Bonin

I think we need a very good d-man... I would love to have Visnovsky... and we need Latendresse to be playing like in pre-season...

Bonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:39 AM
AD

25 minute per game, strong puck moving D-man.

Best example: Pronger, Chara, Ohlund, Jovanovski.

Would accept: Stuart, Hannan, clone of A. Markov.

If we get a Pronger (not that we can, but the question was what do we need), we go to the cup finals.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Skyblaze

The Habs are a healthy team away from being a contender. They already can beat any team in the NHL (albeit not easily) and with all the team healthy, I give them equal or better odds of winning a 4 out of 7 against any team.

There are no teams against which they have no chance whatsoever. Some may not be easy to beat but the Habs still have a chance... hence they classify as contenders.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:47 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
The Habs are a healthy team away from being a contender. They already can beat any team in the NHL (albeit not easily) and with all the team healthy, I give them equal or better odds of winning a 4 out of 7 against any team.

There are no teams against which they have no chance whatsoever. Some may not be easy to beat but the Habs still have a chance... hence they classify as contenders.
I dunno... any team can beat any other team 1 night.. but the Habs of 2006-07 cannot beat the Devils or Sabres in a 7 game series right now. I don't think they would beat the Sharks, Wild, Predators, or Ducks for that matter either..

They need another gamebreaker to do this.

Either an offensve gamebreaker (which would make us a run and gun all out high scoring team) or a D gamebreaker (making us a well balanced cup winning contender)

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Skyblaze

I seriously think they can beat any team at least 4 games out of 7 is what i'm getting at. The hardest might be the Devils just because they do a pretty good job at breaking the tempo of the game. Against Buffalo, it could turn into a goalscoring bonanza into the first few games and the team that manages to clamp down defensively first wins the series and I believe the Habs could do that.

For the last couple of years, one could watch the Sens and say "there's no way a team can win 4 out of 7 against them" yet they still haven't won the Cup.

The Habs have all the tools to pull it off if everybody's healthy, I'm not saying they're favorites but they're definitely contenders as no other team can really just write them off as easy to beat. Any team that would believe that would be in for a nasty surprise.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Netro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedajewler View Post
another good puck moving Dman and a legit 2nd line center
Bingo!

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:54 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

err to be a contender we need a BIG 1st center, a REAL quarterback and a REAL solid #1 goalie.

We still have a long way to go....

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Ghost of Saku

[Vincent Lecavalier]

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

They need more grit. Sure we have guys like Sourey and Rivet that can handle themselves and guys like Higgins, Begin and Downey that can play physical but we lack "meaness". Vicious guys that aim to hurt basically. And that has been a while since we've guys like that. Dirty players like Chelios. And a sort-of goon that can play and intimidate a la Chris Neil. When I see guys like Regher and Phaneuf, it feels like their mission in life is too destroy you. We have a kid like Komi that can also handle himself but every time he's been physical it's a reaction from what somebody has done to him or if he's in his own zone, trying to get out and he's stuck. He will never go looking for that big hit that will hurt the other guys, humiliate them, almost like in football. I think the last time he delivered something like i'm talking about it was against Joe Thornton. But since he's become quite uneven at as a gritty guy.

We need a genuine superstar upfront with decent size and overall more grit(whether it's a defenseman or a pest or a Neil-like killer).

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 01:14 PM
SOLR

Hey Sanch are you a Wow player

Old
11-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Ross MacLochness

Once you are in the playoffs everyone is a contender. To have a very good shot at the cup once we are in the playoffs, we need another #2-quality defenceman or top-9 scorer (center or wing).

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Hey Sanch are you a Wow player
Unfortunately not, but just the fact that I knew what that stood for makes me feel uneasy

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 02:34 PM
LesHabsRock

Aqcuiring a Dman or another center isn't the answer. Stanley Cups are won by many different factors falling into place. Team chemistry is the most important. Goaltending is the key position of any playoff run. And team health is the other. Carolina took advantage of all these factors in the playoffs. A little bit of luck also helps a team's run to the dance. Carolina benefitted from key injuries to opponents players. It wasn't their fault, but it's things of that nature that win Stanley Cups.

It really doesn't matter if you have a team of All Stars.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 03:28 PM
SOLR

Vinny is an epic loot imo

Old
11-07-2006, 02:25 PM
big_habs_fan

We need a #1 center and a #1 D-man. Once that happens, everyone gets into their comfort zone and we have depth across 4 lines and 3 D units making us very difficult to contend with.

Without those:
a) if Koivu goes down (our current #1 center) - ouch!
b) if Markov goes down (our current #1 D-Man) - ouch!

Go Habs Go

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
We are "not losing Higgins for a long period of time" away from being a contender....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote