HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne vs. Iginla

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2006, 09:35 PM
  #1
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Gagne vs. Iginla

I am sure this has been debated in the past, but since it seems to be a hot rumor at the moment, am I the only one that would NOT make this trade?

If we were set up to win in the next two years, I might consider it but we are not.

- Gagne is 26, Iginla is 29.

- Iginla is making almost $2million more then Gagne. That is the difference between having another good player on the roster and not. Gagne is signed for that amount for the next 5 years.

- Gagne will be in his prime in 4 years when this team could potentially be really, really, really good. Iginla will be on the downside of his career.

- Iginla has a career goal per game average of .40 Gagne is .38 (Gagne scored more goals earlier in his career then Iginla did and Gagne's percentage would probably be much higher if it was not for him playing in a defensive role for a couple seasons.

- Since Iginla had that 51 goal year (in his 6th season) he hasnt been as good. Gagne had his 47 goals in his 6th season. This year they both have the same amount of goals.

- Both are similar players in that they need to be surrounded by the right line mates to be trutly effective.

The only area I feel Iginla is even noticably better then Gagne is in physical play.


I am sorry if some thing I am nuts, but I think these two are much closer in ability then people think. I do not think it is a good idea to make a trade involving swapping these two players unless it is a major package and the other players coming the Flyers way from Calgary are much better then the other players going to Calgary.

Bash away!!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:00 PM
  #2
PhillyFlyers1796
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Sometimes you make trades like this to shake things up more then anything. Even though both may be equal in ability as you say, it is still a worth while trade. I would do this trade in a heart beat. Both teams arent doing well, this might be a way to bring some life to each.

Iginla would be perfect for the flyers. He would help the second line scoring out for one, but i think he would be more valuble as a leader. I think he could really help out a guy like richards out who plays a similar style to Iginla anyway.

A change of scenary may help Iginla too...and I think this city would love him as a player.

...But then again...when a star player is traded during the season...they never do well with their new team that year...

PhillyFlyers1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:04 PM
  #3
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers1796 View Post
Sometimes you make trades like this to shake things up more then anything. Even though both may be equal in ability as you say, it is still a worth while trade. I would do this trade in a heart beat. Both teams arent doing well, this might be a way to bring some life to each.

Iginla would be perfect for the flyers. He would help the second line scoring out for one, but i think he would be more valuble as a leader. I think he could really help out a guy like richards out who plays a similar style to Iginla anyway.

A change of scenary may help Iginla too...and I think this city would love him as a player.

...But then again...when a star player is traded during the season...they never do well with their new team that year...
But what problem does this solve?

We are trading our 45+ goal scorer for Calgary's 45+ goal score, and if the rumors are true giving up a 24 year old potential 2nd liner and a potential star in Giroux.

The problem with this team is that we need people OTHER THEN GAGNE to score goals. Trading him for for someone equal solves nothing.

Gagne is NOT the problem on this team. I know Ed Snider and this organization cant understand this, but this team needs to jsut suck it up and not be very good for a year or two. There is no way to completely fix this in the next two years. A trade involving Gagne, Carter, Umberger, Richards, Giroux, etc. IS NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:05 PM
  #4
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,606
vCash: 500
I don't like the trade just because Giroux is in it. That kid will be dynamite. And he was Clarkies last first rounder *snif*

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:08 PM
  #5
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
the only trades i expect/want to make in the coming months are the burn it to the ground trades when it becomes apparent that this just won't work.

btwn trading Forsberg, Knuble, maybe Kapanen, maybe Rathje, etc... we can get a slew of picks and decent "ready" players to fill out the lineup. then it is up to the youth to develop and produce.

that would be my approach.

making some sort of goofy swap just isn't worth it... trades that bring back a lot of youth in the organization are the way to go.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:10 PM
  #6
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,606
vCash: 500
I'm just affraid we'll trade away youth to fix things for now. You can't sacrifice tomorrow to fix today. Otherwise we'll be in this same situation in a few years again.

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:14 PM
  #7
Flyguy_1ca
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Flyguy_1ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
I'm just affraid we'll trade away youth to fix things for now. You can't sacrifice tomorrow to fix today. Otherwise we'll be in this same situation in a few years again.
God bless you...someone that understands. Please don't trade away our most talented young players on some desperate attempt to make the playoffs this year....

Flyguy_1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:17 PM
  #8
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,606
vCash: 500
Clarke would never do this

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:30 PM
  #9
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy_1ca View Post
God bless you...someone that understands. Please don't trade away our most talented young players on some desperate attempt to make the playoffs this year....
That is exactly what they are going to do This organization cannot build a hockey team in this era. That is all there is to it.

I hate to say it fans, but its done. This team is going no where for a long, long time!!!!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:35 PM
  #10
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,845
vCash: 500
personally i want gagne gone. he's extremely over rated. creates absolutely nothing with the puck on his stick. i'm done with him

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:38 PM
  #11
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
personally i want gagne gone. he's extremely over rated. creates absolutely nothing with the puck on his stick. i'm done with him
What the hell has Iginla done????? He had a 51 goal season in his 6th year (contract year) and has not been anywhere near as good since.

Gagne had a 47 goal season, while missing 10 games in his 6th season (contract year) and is on the same pace as Iginla this year.

And is 3 years younger. And is $2 million cheaper.

The fact that he cant create something with the puck on his stick is a tired and old argument that is absolutely not warranted. I will argue this with anyone until I am 105 years old and die because it is FLAT OUT BULL$%^%*

Some people on here just do not get it.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:47 PM
  #12
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
What the hell has Iginla done????? He had a 51 goal season in his 6th year (contract year) and has not been anywhere near as good since.

Gagne had a 47 goal season, while missing 10 games in his 6th season (contract year) and is on the same pace as Iginla this year.

And is 3 years younger. And is $2 million cheaper.

The fact that he cant create something with the puck on his stick is a tired and old argument that is absolutely not warranted. I will argue this with anyone until I am 105 years old and die because it is FLAT OUT BULL$%^%*

Some people on here just do not get it.
age and less cash is the largest factor.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:49 PM
  #13
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
What the hell has Iginla done????? He had a 51 goal season in his 6th year (contract year) and has not been anywhere near as good since.

Gagne had a 47 goal season, while missing 10 games in his 6th season (contract year) and is on the same pace as Iginla this year.

And is 3 years younger. And is $2 million cheaper.

The fact that he cant create something with the puck on his stick is a tired and old argument that is absolutely not warranted. I will argue this with anyone until I am 105 years old and die because it is FLAT OUT BULL$%^%*

Some people on here just do not get it.
dude im seriously fed up with gagne. hes paid over 5 million to stand around and shoot the puck everynow and then. the guy never has the puck on his stick for more than 2 seconds. he provides squat for leadership and looks invisible half the time

say what you want about me "not getting it" but i have a different opinion then you. it certainly isnt wrong

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:52 PM
  #14
flyersfan97
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
personally i want gagne gone. he's extremely over rated. creates absolutely nothing with the puck on his stick. i'm done with him
Holy moly...boy did you just open a can of worms.

EDIT: sorry, should've kept reading, can already opened.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:53 PM
  #15
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
dude im seriously fed up with gagne. hes paid over 5 million to stand around and shoot the puck everynow and then. the guy never has the puck on his stick for more than 2 seconds. he provides squat for leadership and looks invisible half the time

say what you want about me "not getting it" but i have a different opinion then you. it certainly isnt wrong
he's on pace for 40+ goals... and has 25% of the goals this team has scored thus far. it's a bit diffucult to make a serious claim that he's been "invisible." more to the point, if he maintains his current pace... he will have earned his salary.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:56 PM
  #16
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
he's on pace for 40+ goals... and has 25% of the goals this team has scored thus far. it's a bit diffucult to make a serious claim that he's been "invisible." more to the point, if he maintains his current pace... he will have earned his salary.
i understand what you are saying... yes hes putting the puck in the net. but i expect much more than potting some goals. to get paid that kind of money you need to bring more to the table IMO. i'm just very frustrated with gagne, he's just way too passive to make those kind of bucks and wear an A.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:57 PM
  #17
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Holy moly...boy did you just open a can of worms.

EDIT: sorry, should've kept reading, can already opened.


he can score 100 if he "tries harder," right? i mean, that's according to you... he thinks he produces nothing, you think he has the greatest goal-scoring skill-set in modern hockey.... i don't, but that's your opinion. 100... if he tries harder... as hard as Richards. 100... okay.

Richards has 0, btw. 0 in his last... 36 games. he tries hard though.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:59 PM
  #18
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
i understand what you are saying... yes hes putting the puck in the net. but i expect much more than potting some goals. to get paid that kind of money you need to bring more to the table IMO. i'm just very frustrated with gagne, he's just way too passive to make those kind of bucks and wear an A.
he's paid to score goals... and be a two-way player... which he does... and is doing. money doesn't magically transform a player into something else. he's the same player he was last year... and that was the same player he was the year before (playing in a different role).

if he pots 40+, then ragging on him is ridiculous... that's like whining that a HR hitter hit 35+ and not 50. it's expecting statistics that are completely unrealistic.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 10:59 PM
  #19
PhillyFlyers1796
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
What the hell has Iginla done????? He had a 51 goal season in his 6th year (contract year) and has not been anywhere near as good since.

Gagne had a 47 goal season, while missing 10 games in his 6th season (contract year) and is on the same pace as Iginla this year.

And is 3 years younger. And is $2 million cheaper.
Iginla lead his team to the finals in 04...gagne never lead the flyers anywhere. Gagne can score goals, but forsberg had alot to do with it...Gagne would not have scored 47 goals without forsberg last year...maybe 35. Iginla scored 51 goals without the best playmaker in the game.

I would not give up carter or giroux...but if the deal was gagne for iginla, its definitly worth it.

What does it solve? What did Heatley for Hossa solve? Both were pretty equal players, one was younger, yet that trade worked out great for both teams.

And who knows, Iginla could turn out like thornton and have a mvp season with a change of scenery.

PhillyFlyers1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 11:02 PM
  #20
Dogbert*
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I am sure this has been debated in the past, but since it seems to be a hot rumor at the moment, am I the only one that would NOT make this trade?

If we were set up to win in the next two years, I might consider it but we are not.

- Gagne is 26, Iginla is 29.

- Iginla is making almost $2million more then Gagne. That is the difference between having another good player on the roster and not. Gagne is signed for that amount for the next 5 years.

- Gagne will be in his prime in 4 years when this team could potentially be really, really, really good. Iginla will be on the downside of his career.

- Iginla has a career goal per game average of .40 Gagne is .38 (Gagne scored more goals earlier in his career then Iginla did and Gagne's percentage would probably be much higher if it was not for him playing in a defensive role for a couple seasons.

- Since Iginla had that 51 goal year (in his 6th season) he hasnt been as good. Gagne had his 47 goals in his 6th season. This year they both have the same amount of goals.

- Both are similar players in that they need to be surrounded by the right line mates to be trutly effective.

The only area I feel Iginla is even noticably better then Gagne is in physical play.


I am sorry if some thing I am nuts, but I think these two are much closer in ability then people think. I do not think it is a good idea to make a trade involving swapping these two players unless it is a major package and the other players coming the Flyers way from Calgary are much better then the other players going to Calgary.

Bash away!!
Defense? Iginla.

Leadership? Iginla.

Intangibles? Iginla.

40-goal seasons without playing on a line with possibly the best playmaker in the league? Yup, you guessed it.

I like how you conveniently ignored everything besides age, salary and numbers in your analysis. That's a good way to add to your credibility.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 11:02 PM
  #21
flyersfan97
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post


he can score 100 if he "tries harder," right? i mean, that's according to you... he thinks he produces nothing, you think he has the greatest goal-scoring skill-set in modern hockey.... i don't, but that's your opinion. 100... if he tries harder... as hard as Richards. 100... okay.

Richards has 0, btw. 0 in his last... 36 games. he tries hard though.
Again, you have no reason to respond to me, yet you do.

I honestly just had a two paragraph post to you which I have deleted. I am honestly done with you and this discussion.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 11:02 PM
  #22
capn89*
 
capn89*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
personally i want gagne gone. he's extremely over rated. creates absolutely nothing with the puck on his stick. i'm done with him
I hear that... but I don't want ****ing Iginla. **** him!

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 11:03 PM
  #23
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
- Both are similar players in that they need to be surrounded by the right line mates to be trutly effective.
!
This statement is wrong and misinformed.

Iginla can create his own opportunities....as the matter of fact he makes his team better.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 11:03 PM
  #24
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers1796 View Post
Iginla lead his team to the finals in 04...gagne never lead the flyers anywhere. Gagne can score goals, but forsberg had alot to do with it...Gagne would not have scored 47 goals without forsberg last year...maybe 35. Iginla scored 51 goals without the best playmaker in the game.

I would not give up carter or giroux...but if the deal was gagne for iginla, its definitly worth it.

What does it solve? What did Heatley for Hossa solve? Both were pretty equal player, one was younger, yet that trade worked out great for both teams.

And who knows, Iginla could turn out like thornton and have a mvp season with a change of scenery.
Iginla has missed Conroy... don't kid yourself. he only has 2 years with 40+ goals (which Gagne is on his way to matching). Iginla also isn't the two-way player that Gagne is...

that being said, I love Iginla and if age/money weren't a factor i would trade them straight-up in a heartbeat... Iginla would be a monster playing with Forsberg. however, you're trading a guy that's going to be a 40+ goal guy for a guy that's going to be a 40+ goal guy.

it's kinda a trade to make a trade. you don't really gain anything over the course of the schedule from that deal. especially when the problems are that the youth on this team simply isn't ready to be a contributing factor on a good NHL team.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 11:03 PM
  #25
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
What the hell has Iginla done????? He had a 51 goal season in his 6th year (contract year) and has not been anywhere near as good since.

Gagne had a 47 goal season, while missing 10 games in his 6th season (contract year) and is on the same pace as Iginla this year.

And is 3 years younger. And is $2 million cheaper.

The fact that he cant create something with the puck on his stick is a tired and old argument that is absolutely not warranted. I will argue this with anyone until I am 105 years old and die because it is FLAT OUT BULL$%^%*

Some people on here just do not get it.
Iginla is a leader, a heart and soul character, a physical player. He creates plays for himself (like tonight's GWG). I love Gagne as a triggerman, but he does not create for himself. I don't know how you can say he does.

Gagne has been my favourite player on this team since he was a rookie, but come on, he does not create anything for himself when the puck is on his stick.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.