HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stop bashing Marek

Old
11-02-2006, 08:11 AM
94now

vCash: 500
Stop bashing Marek

Malik played very well last night. Thanks to him we didn't loose. He did have two bad bounces, but I'd rather blame Weeks for not bailing him out (both shots were pretty easy, although hard ones). The bounces were misfortunes, not mistakes. He played correctly there in the corner before Getslaf's goal. The were no one in white to pick up his kick as there should be. Unlike many fans Renney understands and appreciates his contribution. Plus, realistically we do not and we will not have a better stay-at-home D this season. So instead of bashing him, I suggest to root for the guy. He didn't play his best at season start, but I do not think it is required in October. March and April is what we need from him.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:16 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Whos Bashing Jan? its Malik thats the problem.

No, it seemed like after he fell to the ice like a rock and stayed there he came back with a new level of play... after that hit something happened, maybe he woke up and finally started his season...

There was one sequence in the third were Malik and Rozsival were playing catch and spinning in the corner of their own zone by their net that was annoying, but at the same time, cautious and smart. Thats one thing these guys do well together when they decide to, instead of throwing blind and backhand passes to areas and behind forwards. They took their time and used eachother effectively and it actually resulted in a nice breakout because the Ducks peeled back and changed. Id much rather see them do that then try and make a risky pass. Hopefully last night helped their game and the defense as a whole, we will see.

Their general play and passing was better... (not up to par though) but it is all a product of the forwards skating and supporting the puck like they did last night. The forwards werent in FRONT of the play - they were coming up from behind and out... like the Betts goal, with speed. That means two things... 1. they are supporting and waiting for the defense to gain the puck with a purpose and 2. They are helping out low on defense.

Basically the forwards helped Malik big time last night, even covered up a couple of mistakes.

The games the Rangers look like garbage they are flying the zone too quickly and the defense has to try and make a perfect pass, usually going OUTSIDE of the zone... how many nice breakout passes were made to the forwards INSIDE the zone last night? This is just one of the Rangers problems.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 11-02-2006 at 08:30 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Onion Boy

Malik was actually trying to kick the puck up-ice, but it deflected off the Duck he was tied up with and went straight to Getzlaf. I'm surprising Sam and Joe didn't notice that.

No excuse on the second goal though.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:21 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

You must be watching someone else. This guy is slower the peanut butter, and by peanut butter I mean Hatcher..

FATCHAMALA11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:26 AM
True Blue

To-date the worst defenseman competition is between

Malik & Rachunek. With Ozolinsh and Rozsival bringing up the rear. However, none of that compares to just how inept Malik has been. He has been the worst by far and shows zero sign of improvement. Last night was no exception. Everything said of him has been richely deserved.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Levitate

what has Rachunek been doing badly?

the first stretch of games, he looked pretty good, then I stopped paying close attention to him and suddenly everyone's saying he's terrible...

I didn't notice any amazingly bad giveaways or anything...just missing coverages and things like that?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Malik played very well last night. Thanks to him we didn't loose.
If you want to play devil's advocate and try and put a positive spin on a player who had a rough game, that's one thing. A statement like this however makes me question if you're even watching. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
Malik was actually trying to kick the puck up-ice, but it deflected off the Duck he was tied up with and went straight to Getzlaf. I'm surprising Sam and Joe didn't notice that.
Still, unless you're Pele, it was pretty optimistic to think you were going to kick the puck from the half-boards, past 2 opponents and out of the zone. The right play would have been to tie the puck up until a better choice could be made.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:54 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Still, unless you're Pele, it was pretty optimistic to think you were going to kick the puck from the half-boards, past 2 opponents and out of the zone. The right play would have been to tie the puck up until a better choice could be made.
Using the skates to move and even control the puck with is the basic skill possessed by all NHL players. Soccer experience helps, but not required. Thus, kick was not unusual, but rather a correct play on his part that ended up with wrong deflection.
For some reason people think that D should have zero misplays, while goalie might allow a few. Just opposite is true. I did not see any problem with our defensemen last night. If they play like that all year we'll be just fine. Ozolinch, Rachunek, Tyutin and Ward were above par, while Malik and Rozy were right at it. Our defense alone have won critical 3rd period for us, making Weeks life pretty easy during intense Ducks attacks. The first pair took most load as usual.

Old
11-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Fletch

are you Czech or Eastern European by the way? There seems to be a biased towards them and against the Swedes.

As for Malik - his bad turnovers were directly responsible for two goals against last night. Directly. He struggled mightily last night.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:01 AM
BigE

Quote:
Malik played very well last night. Thanks to him we didn't loose. He did have two bad bounces, but I'd rather blame Weeks for not bailing him out (both shots were pretty easy, although hard ones). The bounces were misfortunes, not mistakes. He played correctly there in the corner before Getslaf's goal. The were no one in white to pick up his kick as there should be. Unlike many fans Renney understands and appreciates his contribution. Plus, realistically we do not and we will not have a better stay-at-home D this season. So instead of bashing him, I suggest to root for the guy. He didn't play his best at season start, but I do not think it is required in October. March and April is what we need from him.
He played very well? The fact that two of his giveaways directly led to goals automatically rules your statement absurd.

This guy has been awful and was awful last night as well.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Chimp

Pck will get another chance when Malik and Rozsival are benched. When hell freezes and pigs fly that is.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:11 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
what has Rachunek been doing badly?

the first stretch of games, he looked pretty good, then I stopped paying close attention to him and suddenly everyone's saying he's terrible...

I didn't notice any amazingly bad giveaways or anything...just missing coverages and things like that?
t's just a vogue thing to bash him. He actually played very well last night outside of one gaffe.

Our top three defensemen so far this season have been Tyutin, Ward, and Ozolinsh followed by Roszival and Rachunek with Malik brining up the rear. Pock hasn't played enough to warrant any rating.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:22 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Using the skates to move and even control the puck with is the basic skill possessed by all NHL players. Soccer experience helps, but not required. Thus, kick was not unusual, but rather a correct play on his part that ended up with wrong deflection.
Tying the puck up when along the boards and facing a double team is also a basic skill, supposedly possessed by every NHL player. THAT would have been the correct play, not swinging wildly in an attempt to kick the puck past half a team and out of the zone.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:23 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
t's just a vogue thing to bash him. He actually played very well last night outside of one gaffe.

Our top three defensemen so far this season have been Tyutin, Ward, and Ozolinsh followed by Roszival and Rachunek with Malik brining up the rear. Pock hasn't played enough to warrant any rating.
Did you say Ozolinsh? Your absolutely right, this is the guy I wish we would have saw lasy year. I'm still not holding my breath but much improved.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
C'MON 94.

At the end of the game RIGHT before OT, Malik was ****ing STANDING around in our zone while the Ducks got about 4 shots on goal. He was doing NOTHING besides looking at the puck.

Nearly cost us the effing game!

His *** should be permenantly attatched to the bench for what he did last night.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Levitate

I swear Malik was on the ice for like 2 minutes straight right before Prucha's goal too. I have no idea why the hell he was out there so long, but good christ.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Loose - Its lose....LOSE. I only point this out cause i've seen you misuse the term a few times before.

You'd rather blame WeekEs - Yeah, whats wrong with the people who have to cover peoples mistakes, have they no passion and heart and hollwegness!???

You do not think it is required in october - But Lundqvist should be on top of his game in playoff form.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

I figured it out 94now is Malik.. That's the only when he can be supporting Malik..

FATCHAMALA11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:55 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You'd rather blame WeekEs
It's Weekes today, Henke yesterday and both Henke and the forwards the night before last. He seems intent on blaming the goaltending for the various issues that the defensemen have.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 09:58 AM
polako

94, MU, Lev,

This is to be expected. Nobody really liked him at the beginning of last year, until they realized that he was playing a very steady game. Then, the shootout goal cut him some more slack.

After the Janssens hit, he never really returned to the level he had been playing at. Now I think he's back to his pre shootout status with the Garden fans, and instead of playing to level he established last year, he's playing below it, and getting the heat for it.

Personally, I think it has to do with two factors: his size and his contract. I think that many feel that he is overpaid, which goes against him. Also, they hold the fact that he has a large body, but doesn't throw bodychecks, against him. I happen to disagree with both of these perceptions, but hey, that's just my opinion...everyone sees it differently. I'm not going to jeer him, b/c I appreciate what he contributed last year, but I'd be lying if I said I am happy with his play so far this year...he's capable of much better, and he'll get there soon.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 10:04 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
C'MON 94.

At the end of the game RIGHT before OT, Malik was ****ing STANDING around in our zone while the Ducks got about 4 shots on goal. He was doing NOTHING besides looking at the puck.

Nearly cost us the effing game!

His *** should be permenantly attatched to the bench for what he did last night.
Those were shots from the perimeter. As long as opposition does perimeter shots, the job of the defenseman is done. You've got your forwards to take care about perimeter. The first D that moves towards the point to challenge the shooter or for any other reason should be out of the team. Malik was standing waiting for Weeks rebounds to clear the slot, something many were complaining about here. Yet, when he did what he was supposed to do he is now blamed for not jumping on every Duck .

Last edited by 94now: 11-02-2006 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old
11-02-2006, 10:09 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
are you Czech or Eastern European by the way? There seems to be a biased towards them and against the Swedes.

As for Malik - his bad turnovers were directly responsible for two goals against last night. Directly. He struggled mightily last night.
No, I'm just a defenseman. It is always goalie fault by us whether he is a Swede or Slovak, or a Frankona.

Old
11-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
No, I'm just a defenseman. It is always goalie fault by us whether he is a Swede or Slovak, or a Frankona.
No credibility now, thanks for playing though, we have some lovely parting gifts....

Old
11-02-2006, 10:17 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
No credibility now, thanks for playing though, we have some lovely parting gifts....
Oh, man... can't you sense sarcasm at all? I will use "smile" next time.

Old
11-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Oh, man... can't you sense sarcasm at all? I will use "smile" next time.
I used to think it was sarcasm but these days I can't tell, you've bashed everything about our goalies lately....