HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Bob McCowan is on "Vacation"

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 04:33 AM
GJ Oil

vCash: 500
Bob McCowan is on "Vacation"

Last week, Bob McCowan crapped on the Heritage Classic again and again. He called it a "money grab." His running dog Damion Cox called it a "fundraiser for the Edmonton Oilers."

McCowan and Cox showed their true colours on Monday by NOT even showing up on their own radio show to face the music... to admit that it was a classic event and the people of Edmonton are a special breed who made the event memorable.

MCowan was said to be on "vacation" and there was no mention of where Cox was. That would be funny if those two weren't such cowards.

The three guys on the round table (Elliott Friedman and two other I can't remember) spoke of how Edmonton is a great event town, and that the Heritage Classic was a celebration of hockey... both true.

But the sudden change in point of view on this subject matter from last week on this very show was jaw-dropping. With the two culprits absent, it made for a huge let down.

Old
11-25-2003, 04:53 AM
Mr Sakich

in defense of macowan and cox, i really don't think either had honest negative thoughts about the HC. They are in a tough market for listeners and are just trying to evoke a reaction and garner some ratings. Their stances were illogical. This false criticism is consistent with other views they have held, primarily regarding the leafs.

Old
11-25-2003, 05:56 AM
jadeddog

no offense intended to the poster of this..... but WHO CARES?!?! lol.... the last thing in the world that i would possibly care about is what two "radio guys" in toronto have to say about anything... next topic please

Old
11-25-2003, 08:27 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
no offense intended to the poster of this..... but WHO CARES?!?! lol.... the last thing in the world that i would possibly care about is what two "radio guys" in toronto have to say about anything... next topic please
knock knock...

Oiler fan who lives in Toronto here... you may not care, but some of us other fans do.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:53 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
in defense of macowan and cox, i really don't think either had honest negative thoughts about the HC. They are in a tough market for listeners and are just trying to evoke a reaction and garner some ratings. Their stances were illogical. This false criticism is consistent with other views they have held, primarily regarding the leafs.
That's not a good defense. In fact, in my eyes, it makes them look worse. It's one thing if they're just born ignorant or stupid, but if they are deliberately and maliciously trying to create negativity to imporve ratings, then what credibility do they have? In that case their broadcast would be little more that a sideshow for entertainment, rather than a place to seriously discuss the world of sports.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
I like their show. It is interesting, witty and is NOT Bryan Hall. Didn't hear any HC comments so I have no opinion on what Cox and McGowan were talking about.(Although reports have the Oilers cashing in for $2 million on the whole deal..."source Global TV")

Old
11-25-2003, 11:47 AM
oilersboy

It's not like Ron Fournier in Montreal. He said that the heritage classic was the biggest and greatest event in the history of hockey. Benoit Brunet said that it was as fun as their stanley cup in 1993. Ron didn't stop saying for 3 hours that Edmonton and Montreal are the two best hockey club and that it couldn't has been better organize.

Old
11-25-2003, 12:37 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

I'm assuming he was trolling for attention (kind of like a message-board jackass) to create some reaction or publicity.

I guess it kind of worked, because the day after, I tuned in to hear what all the commotion was about. First time I've ever bothered to listen to Primetime Sports.

So I tune in, and they've got a guy from the federal government on, talking about the decision to use federal money to compensate cigarette advertisers (due to the ban on cigarette advertising). Bob's point was, how come the Montreal race gets a federal hand-out, when other organizations around the country have had to bust their ***** to generate revenue on their own?

Ok, fair enough. So, when the Oilers bust their ***** to put on an event like this, with no federal help, and generate revenue on their own, shouldn't Bob McCown be all for it? Apparently not. Apparently it's a cash-grab. Nice take, Bob. And nice show. After taking a moment to congratulate himself for all the hate-mail he's received from Edmonton, he goes on to a long segment live from the ACC where they're setting up that night's thrilling Raptors game. I can listen to contrary viewpoints, if they're well thought out, but I draw the line at basketball. So my run as a Primetime Sports listener didn't even last a full hour, and so 1260's block of time between the end of Jim Rome and the beginning of Bob Stauffer is still "dead air" to me.

Old
11-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Mr Sakich

OGE, what a grat observation. I listened to both shows and never put the hypocracy together.

Closed Thread