HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What's wrong with Ryder?

Old
11-06-2006, 12:56 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
What's wrong with Ryder?

Since the beginning of the season he was Hell on wheel, playing with a fire and energy like he was a totally different player from last season. But lately he seems to be returning to his old habits, being slow, making mystakes. I wonder if it's psychological or if he's hurt in some way.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:58 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Since the beginning of the season he was Hell on wheel, playing with a fire and energy like he was a totally different player from last season. But lately he seems to be returning to his old habits, being slow, making mystakes. I wonder if it's psychological or if he's hurt in some way.
Haven't noticed this...If anything it's because of the lack of icetime since the team is always shorthanded.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:58 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's always been a streaky player, scoring in bunches. I chalk it up to that.

11-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
He's always been a streaky player, scoring in bunches. I chalk it up to that.
I know. But this season he felt like a different player, at times he was even physical. Every shifts he had with Saku and Higgins it was go go go not stopping for anything. But then recently it just...stopped?

Old
11-06-2006, 01:11 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

waffledave makes a good point. Koivu and Higgins get serious PK time, Ryder doesn't. That makes it hard to give Ryder the icetime needed to make an impact. It's also difficult to make an impact when your linemates are significantly more tired than he is.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
waffledave makes a good point. Koivu and Higgins get serious PK time, Ryder doesn't. That makes it hard to give Ryder the icetime needed to make an impact. It's also difficult to make an impact when your linemates are significantly more tired than he is.

That's a good point. Maybe Carbo is using Higgins and Saku too much..? I know his plan is to score when the Habs have penality but it may cut the juice for some guys.

Old
11-06-2006, 01:19 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
That's a good point. Maybe Carbo is using Higgins and Saku too much..? I know his plan is to score when the Habs have penality but it may cut the juice for some guys.
It's not that he uses them too much, it's that the team takes too many penalties.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Definitly. It has become quite a problem.

Then again, we keep scoring!

Old
11-06-2006, 02:55 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I dont see anything wrong... its just that the puck is not going in

He'll be fine

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 04:36 AM
NewHabsEra*

I also think he slacked down in the recent games, less energic, less effective but it was to expect, Ryder will never be as consistent as Higgins or Koivu but he will probably step up in the next few games.. He wasnt bad, just ok, minor slump, nothing to worry about at this point...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 06:43 AM
maci4life

lets start the ryder for lecavalier rumours.

ok lets not.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Beer maybe

as in Lot's of beer...

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:29 AM
hab

I actually thought the same thing watching the NJ game..... its like he came out
flying in the first 5 games, but now he is back to picking his spots and waiting for
his opportunities. Not that I think he looks bad, even now he looks like a solid 30+ goal guy, but his energy on the ice has dropped off considerably

considering we have never seen him play like he did at the start of the year, I would say that his game right now is pretty much what to expect from him, but stiil deserves his spot on the top line.

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:56 AM
znk

Quote:
he had 1 or 2 not so great games but I felt he was back on track the last 2 games. It's more his line that's been ineffective. The last couple of games the puck carrier on the line has been Ryder that's why you are noticing his mistakes more. Last game he went arround Raffalski like it was nothing.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Loved the 3rd he played against Jersey. It's just another one of those slumps that every player has, he seemed not as fast but it's tough like some people have said already to get your groove when you're always sitting on the bench waiting for the PK to end.....

Though the PK is working admirable, wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea to actually try him as PK2 once in a while....Would get him going for the rest of the game, and could actually, with his new found speed, be dangerous offensively on those PK.....Just a thought.....

We might wait till it's not doing that great, before making some changes, I know....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:06 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I like our PK alot, but could we stop using it lol, in a sense stop taking penalties...lately we havn't played great 5 on 5 so it would be nice to roll 4 lines of 5 on 5 instead of having a PK every 5 min.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:22 AM
goalchenyuk

i hope that his back problem isn't comming back

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
he had 1 or 2 not so great games but I felt he was back on track the last 2 games. It's more his line that's been ineffective. The last couple of games the puck carrier on the line has been Ryder that's why you are noticing his mistakes more. Last game he went arround Raffalski like it was nothing.
Yea that's what were saying that maybe Higgins and Saku are getting more ice time in the PK and it exaust them enough to make their line less effective and screw up the chemistry and what each guys should do.