HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik not guaranteed the net

Old
11-06-2006, 08:14 AM
sling

vCash: 500
Henrik not guaranteed the net

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11062006...rry_brooks.htm

"Kevin earned this opportunity," the coach said. "At the same time, I think it helps Henrik identify with the reality that he's not guaranteed the net."

"I talked to him [on Saturday], and he was very good about it, as I expected. He recognizes that competition is healthy for both Kevin and himself, and for our team."

It seems to me that the coach singles out Henrik, of all people, to make his hypocritical point that no one is given a spot on the roster.

I agree that Henrik needed a game or two to regroup, but he should have been back in the net last night. AND, he should not be the player called out publically by Renney.

Here's Henrik's take on his play from the same article:

"If there's one thing that maybe I can point to, it's that I'm losing my focus at times because I've been thinking about our team's play instead of just concentrating on my own."

His amazing focus has been compromised, or corrupted you could say. In the two shootouts this year, there's been proof of Henrik's statement. He was unbeatable and his own team wasn't in front of him.

Hey Renney, what about Roszival, Malik, Betts, Hossa, Rachunek, Ozolinsh? Are they guilty of more or less poor plays than Henrik?

Are there no guarantees for their ice time?

Is there competition for their roster spots?

Have you used Dawes, Pock or anyone else to replace a struggling skater and enforce your notion that everyone has to earn their spot?

Or are you just treating some players one way and other players a different way?

sling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 08:25 AM
NYR469

people are giving weekes WAY too much credit for the last 3 games...

against anaheim the ducks took us lightly and he gave up 3 weak goals but we just happened to score 4. only difference between that game and the games lundqvist lost is that the offense bailed him out.

in sj we caught the sharks coming off a long road trip and they didn't show up for the first 58:00 of the game. they were sleepwalking and really didn't threaten much

and last night weekes only had to make 4 really big saves, the rest of the night he just let the puck hit him for the most part and the only reason we got a point is because the refs tried to gift wrap the win for us with 6 straight PPs.

now don't get me wrong, weekes was solid and deserves credit for giving us some solid efforts but some people seem to be acting as if he was standing on his head making 50 saves and that all our defensive problems are behind us, when imo while our play has improved we've benefit from some good luck also

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Well he shouldnt be guarenteed anything IMO, no one on the team should. I see where your comming from especially with the play of those D-men you mentioned. But I dont see Renneys comments as putting Henrik down rather saying that if Weekes is playing better, than Weekes will play. And Vise Vera, Henrik will almost definitly get the next start, and then they will see who plays better from there. I like the idea of having two goalies who are challenging the others spot, only good things can come from it IMO.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Fletch

The defense played well...

perhaps its best in those two games on the west coast. I like Weekes, but he's not a #1 goaltender. I understand that Lundqvist shouldn't be 'guaranteed' a spot in net, but at the same time, many teams do have a clear #1 goalie, and that #1 goalie, at times, struggles, along with his team.

Maybe Renney should be saying the same thing about Malik and Rozsival - never once have I heard a similar statement come out of his mouth in reference to these two.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
perhaps its best in those two games on the west coast. I like Weekes, but he's not a #1 goaltender. I understand that Lundqvist shouldn't be 'guaranteed' a spot in net, but at the same time, many teams do have a clear #1 goalie, and that #1 goalie, at times, struggles, along with his team.

Maybe Renney should be saying the same thing about Malik and Rozsival - never once have I heard a similar statement come out of his mouth in reference to these two.
I 100% agree, but my question is how bad does it have to get before he actually calls these guys out.

Old
11-06-2006, 08:43 AM
bathgate

I have no problem tweaking Henke a little. We can't have him resting on his laurels of last year. A little shakeup is fine. As far as the defense, I still believe some change is necessary. Baranka, when he comes back, and Pock deserve time

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:05 AM
eco's bones

The Ranger D has tightened up for Weekes although it still makes some gaffes as that very nice pass by Malik to Mair yesterday that Mair put off the post. Kevin made some nice saves including one spectacular one but seemed to lose his focus in the second half of the game. The shot by Kyle McLaren the other day caught him napping and similarly yesterday quick shots from odd angles late in the game seemed to surprise him. Anyway to me he is the backup and hopefully pretty soon Henrik will be back in and will have woken up from his doldrums. It seems that Jagr has slowly gotten better to the point where he is back nearly to where he needs to be--now it's a tightened up defense and better goaltending that we need to be firing on at least most of our cylinders.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:40 AM
92hatchattack

Blah, Weekes made a good save, But spectacular... no. He overexagerates his body movements. There was no need for the throwing out of the hand and the flopping on the ground.

Besides that, his play was average... as has been henriks.

But i think starting him on sunday was a terrible move by Renney. I have almost lost all respect for him. Every angle in the world that you look at should have put lundy in net last night.

AND ABOVE ALL ELSE.... u have a guy that u want to be your #1. You have a guy that u think can be a franchise goalie??? THEN PUT HIM TO THE TEST. Ride him and see if he can get past his slumps. If in the longrun he cant, then maybe hes not our guy. But he needs to be ridden hard to find out what lies beneath the mask.... Another dud, or a true long run superstar....

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

I think we only have to go back a week to find similar statements about Malik.

I don't agree with Renney about Lundqvist but I don't mind him lighting a little fire under him either...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:10 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think we only have to go back a week to find similar statements about Malik.

I don't agree with Renney about Lundqvist but I don't mind him lighting a little fire under him either...
Yeah, Henke is an emotional guy, I'm sure this will further motivate him. Hopefully he'll turn it around Wednesday.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Fletch

Some players...

are self-motivators. I said this before, and I truly believe that a guy like Henke doesn't need a kick in the butt. I think he works hard and is motivated to win. He's won at every level and he's out to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. I'm sure it's killing him how he's been playing. In other words, I don't think he's the type of player that needs that extra push because he knows when he's not playing well.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, Henke is an emotional guy, I'm sure this will further motivate him. Hopefully he'll turn it around Wednesday.
He seemed a little un-easy during his interview with Gianone(sp?) during the game last night. Although he said all the right things about not playing, he just seemed to want to be on the ice. Who could blame him? So I would say he will come out focused and ready to go come Wednesday. He wants to play and deserves to play, so I expect him to have the next few starts.

Old
11-06-2006, 10:24 AM
bathgate

Quote:
are self-motivators. I said this before, and I truly believe that a guy like Henke doesn't need a kick in the butt. I think he works hard and is motivated to win. He's won at every level and he's out to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. I'm sure it's killing him how he's been playing. In other words, I don't think he's the type of player that needs that extra push because he knows when he's not playing well.
It could be a liitle sophmore slump, which is not a big problem or the night life in New York which would be a bigger problem. I truly believe he has the potential to be a very special goalie. I just hope he does not find the City a distraction

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

If I remember correctly he said that he perferes to be in a busy area rather than somewhere its low key. So I dont think it is a distraction, but who knows

Old
11-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Henrik, most importantly, NEEDS to feel the pressure of Weekes breathing down his neck, but i do agree that renney has misplaced loyalty. I hope Malik sits, he was terrible against the sabres.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:03 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sling View Post

Hey Renney, what about Roszival, Malik, Betts, Hossa, Rachunek, Ozolinsh? Are they guilty of more or less poor plays than Henrik?

Are there no guarantees for their ice time?
I think Betts has shown a lot of Hustle and Sandis might actually be our best defensmen.....

Thank God he didn't score on Weekes when he broke up that play.....

11-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Bjorkloven

I've actually only watched one game with Henke and the Rangers this year. What he said about that he worried too much about the teams play instead of his own, in hindsight really shined through.

Last season he looked so much more comfortable, covering the right angles and really controlling the crease. I don't think that has too much to do with the infamous second season or him having to prove something. From what I've seen of him in Sweden that would just make him play better. No, I really think that he doesn't trust his teammates to help him out 100% wich means that he has to cover all the holes himself instead of relying on his incredible ability to read the game and let the d-men do the rest.

Sorry for the long post...:-)

Bjorkloven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorkloven View Post
I've actually only watched one game with Henke and the Rangers this year. What he said about that he worried too much about the teams play instead of his own, in hindsight really shined through.

Last season he looked so much more comfortable, covering the right angles and really controlling the crease. I don't think that has too much to do with the infamous second season or him having to prove something. From what I've seen of him in Sweden that would just make him play better. No, I really think that he doesn't trust his teammates to help him out 100% wich means that he has to cover all the holes himself instead of relying on his incredible ability to read the game and let the d-men do the rest.

Sorry for the long post...:-)
you should apologize, this post is far too long, i will have to hunt you down and kill you.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Think there's an overreaction here... however...

Weekes may not have played great, but with Malik's exception, the defense of the team as a whole (play of the forwards and defensemen) has been better because Weekes has been steadier in net. This team seems to base how well it wants to play defensively on the play of the guy behind them. It was the same way last year. A soft goal here or there will happen to most backup goalies... Weekes has settled the team down otherwise.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:18 PM
92hatchattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
He seemed a little un-easy during his interview with Gianone(sp?) during the game last night. Although he said all the right things about not playing, he just seemed to want to be on the ice. Who could blame him? So I would say he will come out focused and ready to go come Wednesday. He wants to play and deserves to play, so I expect him to have the next few starts.
I was at the game yesterday watching henrik warm up, and i could just see how unhappy he was. Just his body launguage and how he really wasnt into warming up very much. You could just tell how much he really wanted to get the start in that game.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:19 PM
FLYLine24*

Sounds good to me.

I predict Henrik will have his best game of the season his next start after this.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
I was at the game yesterday watching henrik warm up, and i could just see how unhappy he was. Just his body launguage and how he really wasnt into warming up very much. You could just tell how much he really wanted to get the start in that game.
Yeah in the interview he was the same way,saying all the right things but you could tell he was thinking "why arent I on the ice". But i'm sure he will be in the net for Florida and probably Atlanta as well.

Old
11-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Edge

I think all this is, is a way to light a fire under Henrik.

Renney knows deep down that Henrik's success is vital to this team's overall direction. But right now he also knows he needs to light a fire under him a little, get him re-focused and hope for the best.

What Renney is doing is calling out his stars, something that despite my reservations about him is what a lot of coaches have done in the past.

Calling out the fringe guys has never really worked, calling out the stars tends to get a slightly better reaction.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Falloooooon

I'm curious if anyone thinks Renney could be punishing Lundqvist for something without telling the media to further embarrass him.

I was watching the Kings game on CI and in the final moments, the LA analyst, Jim Fox, said Renney was trying to get Henrik to leave the net but Henrik was ignoring him. The cameras never showed anything to support that, but Fox was going on and on about, mentioning it at least three times.

But Jim Fox is an idiot, so I didn't pay much attention to what he said because I didn't see it myself. But now Henrik hasn't played since, so I wonder a little.

Was anything made of this in NYR land? Was it even noticed/mentioned? Does anyone think this could have anything to do with Lundqvist not playing?

Falloooooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
It could be a liitle sophmore slump, which is not a big problem or the night life in New York which would be a bigger problem. I truly believe he has the potential to be a very special goalie. I just hope he does not find the City a distraction
Like Hollweg doing all sorts of shots fans were buying him after last nights game at a certain bar that will remain nameless?

Or how about Dawes & Hall, were they just drinking lemonade?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote