HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After one quarter, what is wrong with the Wings?

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 08:42 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
After one quarter, what is wrong with the Wings?

Is it a lack of coaching? I don't think that is the only reason for this season's skid. The stupid plays are killing them. They are a better team than their record shows, but why do they play like S**t? Coaching has a lot to do with it but why aren't the vet's doing better? from what I've seen in some of the games, Fischer, Dandenault, Chelios and even Lidstrom are not taking "their man" around the net in the defensive end. Datsyuk, Hull, Shanahan and Whitney are not backchecking or sticking with "their man" in the defensive end either. Yzerman has been very slow to come back and that is somewhat understandable with his bumb leg, but he seems fine speeding through the neutral zpne into the offensive zone.

It's all due to team defensive breakdowns and this from a team who was preaching defense as this years strong point? I think Lewis need to go and a good motivating coach needs to come in who will start disciplining players for bad defensive mistakes. I do not want Keanen though. But who else is out there? Not Robinson, he seems alot like Lewis is now. A nice coach to play for is not what a lazy team like the Wings need right now. If we could get Bowman back that would be great, but that won't happen.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:03 AM
guinness
those were the days

Lack of team defense - some people only blame Cujo, but he hasn't gotten much support and Legace and Hasek haven't exactly stood on their heads either.

Lack of even-strength goals - it's ok when it's still the regular season and teams can get a ton of PP time, but it will bite them in the ass come playoff time.

Too many freaking odd-man rushes - a direct result of bad defense, this is what is costing them games.

Lack of preparation - these guys are 7-7-1 against teams .500 or below, they should be getting most of these points, but in typical Wings fashion, they don't show up or blow leads. This has always been a problem, even with Bowman, but this year seems much worse.

Old and slow - this team is year older and it shows, doesn't look like a SC contender by any stretch of the imagination, they are lacking in physical play and heart too it seems, only ones caring are Yzerman and the youngsters. Lidstrom looks average, as soes Schneider, Cheli needs to retire.

I don't think this is something just a coaching change will fix, this is a veteran team, they know what it takes by now and most of them are just collecting a paycheck.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:32 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
I think they're just waiting for January before they play hard. They're veterans so they know it's a risk, but can work AND they're old, so they don't really have a choice. Kinda sad, but then again they're still not healthy and they're playing better than the start of the season. Wait till January.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Lack of team defense - some people only blame Cujo, but he hasn't gotten much support and Legace and Hasek haven't exactly stood on their heads either.
I agree with your comment as far as Legace goes, but Hasek has been pretty darn good this year, minus two stinkers. I fell a pretty big reason Joseph hasn't gotten a ton of support is that it's tough even for a team like Detroit (and perhaps especially for a team like Detroit) to constantly overcome deficits because the goalie is wretched.

Quote:
Lack of even-strength goals - it's ok when it's still the regular season and teams can get a ton of PP time, but it will bite them in the ass come playoff time.
Detroit has scored 44 non PP goals in 22 games. Vancouver has 49 in 22. Atlanta has 49 in 22. Philly has 40 in 19. Ottawa has 34 in 19. Colorado has 41 in 19. I don't think non-PP goalscoring is the problem with the team so far, unless it's also your contention that all those other teams are struggling at even strength too.

Detroit built itself this year around the play of it's defenseman and goaltenders. Lidstrom's been poorer than usual, Hatcher's gone for the year, Chelios has slipped, and Fischer hasn't exactly leapt up. Joseph is playing pathetic hockey and Legace's been below average. Hasek has been pretty good, but there's room for him to jump up too.

As things stand right now though I agree with you, Detroit's not a Cup-caliber team.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Benji Frank

It's the lockerroom in my opinion ... getting rid of the goaltending fiasco and the burden that goes with it & this team will start to climb back up to where it should be.......

Old
11-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
It's been a little bit of everything. They're a vet team who knows that these games aren't the most important games of the season. The coaching is arguably sub-par. A lot of new faces and players assuming new roles. Some injuries have hit some key areas. The goalie mess. etc. etc.

They've had just as many good games as bad so far, and are still in the hunt. Also, there are likely a few roster moves left up Holland's sleeve. I'll give this team the second half to really prove themselves.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:45 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agent
I agree with your comment as far as Legace goes, but Hasek has been pretty darn good this year, minus two stinkers. I fell a pretty big reason Joseph hasn't gotten a ton of support is that it's tough even for a team like Detroit (and perhaps especially for a team like Detroit) to constantly overcome deficits because the goalie is wretched.
So you are blaming Cujo. Other than a couple of goals that Cujo could've/should've had, like the rebound that led to the second Washington goal, he hasn't gotten much support, they're trying to trade him, but the defense doesn't do anything to make him look good. In his first game against Nashville, he got no help, in his second game against Nashville, the team blew a 3 goal lead, because of sloppy D and from sitting back in the third. He played pretty well against Minny and got chased out against Washington, the announcers said it wasn't his fault and did Lewis, yet people still can't see past that. The goalie is only as good as the team in front of him, the team hasn't played well in front of him and they won't be able to trade him until they do. And unfourtunately, Hasek is still questionable, so they'll have to get used to Cujo and Legace in net.

Old
11-25-2003, 01:05 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I don't know...there's so many things...injuries didn't help...distractions...new faces trying to fit in...some nights it's like they could kick the living s*** out of anyone and other nights (like last night) they can't do anything right. I don't know what to think...it's almost like a Jekyll-Hyde thing.

On the plus side though, there are some bright little spots...Steve Yzerman is playing better than I've seen him in a long time, and he's surprised everyone. Pavel's goals and assists totals are up considerably from last year and he's shooting more...he's quietly gone out and put up one of the best shooting percentages in the league. Steve Thomas seems to be fitting in well, and if we could get rid of some of these nagging injuries, we could get this thing back in gear. And we may even be developing a functional fourth line!

Somehow, I have a feeling that things will slowly work themselves out. But I sure as hell hope it's sooner rather than later.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:28 PM
Shoalzie

For one thing, this team would be better if they were healthy. If someone would've told me the Wings would be banged up at this point in the season and Yzerman wasn't one of the names on IR, I would've said you're crazy. Hopefully Zetterberg will be back in a couple weeks.

I do like the infusion of Bootland and Thomas into the lineup. Mowers has been solid as well...he's not going to stick full-time but he's a nice fill-in. Bootland isn't as much of a pest as Avery but I like the fact he'll drop the gloves a little more often than Sean did.

I almost wonder if this team is just going through the motions until the playoffs start. I think they realize that there is probably one more run left in them and they don't want to use it all in the regular season. They'd be satisfied with a winning the Central and finishing third. They have to be careful or they'll be on the road in the first round though. They aren't going to miss the playoffs but I can see them finishing between a 3rd and 6th. Nobody is running away with the conference right now so that's a good thing for the Wings. St. Louis is playing well but they are only a few points ahead of Detroit right now and they meet for the first time on Saturday.

In net, Hasek will be the man in the end. It's unfortunate that the groin injuries are back with him...we lucked out the one season he was here, he never got hurt.

I still think it's too early to worry. It is unusual to see this team play the way it has. My expectations were that they'd win the division but not get 100 points, so things are kind of going the way I'd expected it to. If this team is below 6th place at the All-Star break, I'll start to worry a little. If they get healthier and beat the teams they are supposed to, they should be alright.

Old
11-26-2003, 05:59 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie
St. Louis is playing well but they are only a few points ahead of Detroit right now and they meet for the first time on Saturday.
I'm not sure if the phrase 'only a few' is right to describe a 3 point lead with the Blues having 3 games in hand. I know I wouldn't be comfortable if it was the Wings with that lead, especially when you consider how well the Blue shave played with all of their injuries.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:48 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie
St. Louis is playing well but they are only a few points ahead of Detroit right now and they meet for the first time on Saturday.
As Degroat said, 3 points w/ 3 games in hand. Also, this is the 2nd meeting this year.

I think the combination of Injuries and age are contributing factors. Lidstrom hasn't played as well as he usually does (then again, he has been the best D man for the past 3 years). Cheli hasn't played well in two years, last season he was only OK, but injuries and age are showing. The team is also very slow on D. I would never call Fischer, Hatcher, and now Cheli mobile. I don't think Wings fans realize how slow Hatcher really is (now he is out w/ a knee injury so it will be even more visible when he returns).

Loss of Z hurts. Hasek has played well, considering the layoff, but noone in net has stolen a game yet. I also agree the poster who called them Jeckle and Hyde. Look at the BJ games this past week for example.

Old
11-26-2003, 08:37 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I hereby confess to being the Jekyll and Hyde poster. Let's hope Dr. Jekyll shows up tonight instead of Mr. Hyde, who was there the other night in more ways than one.

Closed Thread