HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The difference in Frolovs game

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 09:03 AM
Frolov

vCash: 500
The difference in Frolovs game

he didn't get bigger/stronger

he didn't get faster

He learned how to use the space given to him.

Agree?

Old
11-25-2003, 09:37 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov
he didn't get bigger/stronger

he didn't get faster

He learned how to use the space given to him.

Agree?
Looks like he DID get stronger, but I agree, he has learned to use the space given to him. He has also learned to find space, and he's been shooting more.

But the biggest difference I see in him is confidence. It's one thing for someone like Ziggy to say that you could be one of the best players in the league, but it's another to actually believe it yourself.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Face Wash

that's a high brow way of saying he's being more assertive.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:11 AM
punchy1

To the point facewash. I agree with both takes. The thing that has been most impressive in seeing him play in the NHL in person for me is that I have seen him play in a couple of games where he was easily the best player for both teams on the ice. It didn't translate into goals or points really, but, he was dangerous and the other team had to focus their best players and efforts against him providing room for others. I knew he was going to be good but, he is looking like he has the seeds of greatness. By the time he is 23 he could really be a power forward styled of player that is a force to be reckoned with. I would say that he is one of a few young europeans that have this psuedo power forward game that are starting to shine in teh NHL. It is fun to watch.

I read a thread comparing Chistov and Frolov and while I think they are both special young players with game breaking skills, I have yet to see a game where Chistov was the most dominant player on teh ice. I am sure it will come and he is a dandy capper for certain, just seems that Frolov is hitting it a little younger. With the style of game he plays I think that he has a better shot at being a consistant top six LW in todays NHL than Chistov. I sure would love to have BOTH though.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:36 AM
agentfouser

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
To the point facewash. I agree with both takes. The thing that has been most impressive in seeing him play in the NHL in person for me is that I have seen him play in a couple of games where he was easily the best player for both teams on the ice. It didn't translate into goals or points really, but, he was dangerous and the other team had to focus their best players and efforts against him providing room for others. I knew he was going to be good but, he is looking like he has the seeds of greatness. By the time he is 23 he could really be a power forward styled of player that is a force to be reckoned with. I would say that he is one of a few young europeans that have this psuedo power forward game that are starting to shine in teh NHL. It is fun to watch.

I read a thread comparing Chistov and Frolov and while I think they are both special young players with game breaking skills, I have yet to see a game where Chistov was the most dominant player on teh ice. I am sure it will come and he is a dandy capper for certain, just seems that Frolov is hitting it a little younger. With the style of game he plays I think that he has a better shot at being a consistant top six LW in todays NHL than Chistov. I sure would love to have BOTH though.
i don't think frolov will ever develop into a POWER forward; but i define that as someone who uses their size to punish and intimidate their opponents, as opposed to frolov, who i think uses his size to protect the puck and create scoring chances, but doesn't go out and slam players into the boards. if you define power forward as someone who uses his size effectively, whether its to score or punish, then yes, frolov will be a power forward. i'm not really into arguing about definitions of power forward, though.

as for comparing him to chistov, i wonder if this isn't evidence of the effectiveness of andy murray's strategy for playing frolov. chistov seemed to be penciled in on the top line with anaheim from before the season, although i imagine that was just as much their fans as babcock. however, look at the progressions of their seasons: frolov started slowly, spent some time on the fourth line, got his all-around play together, and has been one of the best players on the team the last ten games. he now leads th team in goals with 7 and +/- with +8. chistov, on the other hand (if i remember correctly; i don't watch the ducks nearly as much as the kings, and i could be way off. if so, please enlighten us), saw quite a lot of prime icetime early, with federov i believe, and started fairly well, but his work ethic has faltered and he's been scratched a few times. i think that the bottom-line difference between the two is frolov's intenstiy, which appears to have been lacking in chistov. with that in mind, you have to wonder if murray wasn't doing exactly the right thing by showing frolov that he could be bumped down the pecking order easily. this is by no means comprehensive or definitive, but something i think is worthy of thought and discussion.

furthermore, a lot of people recently have been questioning murray's use of youngsters. however, i think most have forgotten that he's spent most of his coaching career with younger players; the guy's last job was high school. on the strength of that alone, i'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt when it comes to developing talent.

Closed Thread