HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

This weeks ESPN power rankings

Old
11-06-2006, 06:21 PM
zacn

vCash: 500
This weeks ESPN power rankings

Not that I don't take ESPN's hockey analysis with anything more than a grain of the finest salts but does anyone else find it completely ridiculous that they dropped the rangers a spot from 16th in the league to 17th this week? Not only did we do pretty well on a long road trip but then we came back and gave the best team in the league a run for their money and still got a point out of the game even if we did give up a two goal lead. From what they say in the article, it also seems they punish us for Weekes's good play because it "raises questions" about our number one goalie. Since when is it bad for having your backup bail out your number one when he is in a funk?! Our defense has gone from attrocious to acceptable and our special teams are finally doing their job. Also, from their rankings which currently hold the ducks and sabres one and two in the league, the fact that we pulled three out of a possible four points from these teams during the week makes the drop all the more ridiculous.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/powerranking

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Chimp

And that's why you shouldn't pay any attention whatsoever to those meaningless rankings. I guess you've also already come to the same conclusion.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 06:34 PM
zacn

Of course I have come to that conclusion but it is still mystifying and slightly helarious. I just wonder who they have working there that can be so ignorant of the facts. The only reason it angers me and why I pay any attention to it at all is that the casual American hockey fan will look at that and take it as the truth. It would be nice if they could give half as much focus to hockey as they do to say golf or nascaar.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 06:36 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

I would have thought even those clowns would recognize an obviouse improvement from the previous games.

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 06:38 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

I thought the Rangers were ranked a little high last week but we definitely shouldn't have dropped after the week they just had...

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

whatever these so called "experts" leave alot to be desired with their analysis of alot of teams, not just the Rangers. Like most of you I dont put any stock into these claims, manly because if/when the Rangers start mowing through teams, they will be the first to state how they knew it all along. Bah to them, Bah I say!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 07:31 PM
shoothepuck

Funny, I always found ESPN ridiculous, no matter how they were ranked.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 07:44 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I could really care less what ESPN says but one has to scratch one's head as to how you can take five out of six points from the numbers 1,2 and 6 teams and move down.

11-06-2006, 07:44 PM
bleedblue94

whats really funny is last year when they had us ranked in the top 5 most of the year there was a weekly update as to what our espn power ranking was bc someone always posted it all excited ... just funny how last year people loved the rankings bc we were up high and this year they suck bc we are not so high anymore

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2006, 07:45 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I could really care less what ESPN says but one has to scratch one's head as to how you can take five out of six points from the numbers 1,2 and 6 teams and move down.
and yes i agree with you completely

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote