HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Wolfpack moving to Brooklyn?

Old
11-07-2006, 10:13 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
I am really hoping that it's actually the new Nets arena - I mean, wouldn't the one out near JFK result in FEWER seats (i.e. less revenues)? Proximity would make sense, but that'd be a lot less dough for the Pack. Now the Ratner arena on the other hand... that'd be a better comparison to what the Flyers/Phantoms have going on.

Of course, I have a definite rooting interest for the Ratner complex - I live within walking distance. It would be SO great to be able to check out the Pack whenever I wanted...

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:26 AM
NYR469

weinman says the rangers are dismissing the talk of moving the pack by espn as 'purely speculation'

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:30 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I am really hoping that it's actually the new Nets arena - I mean, wouldn't the one out near JFK result in FEWER seats (i.e. less revenues)? Proximity would make sense, but that'd be a lot less dough for the Pack. Now the Ratner arena on the other hand... that'd be a better comparison to what the Flyers/Phantoms have going on.

Of course, I have a definite rooting interest for the Ratner complex - I live within walking distance. It would be SO great to be able to check out the Pack whenever I wanted...
The Pack won't fill the Ratner arena.When(or If)is that going to be built?How much money goes the Garden make in Hartford with the Pack?They manage the Civic Center.A smaller arena filled to capacity with fans creates a better atmosphere than playing in a 20,000 seat area with only 2,000 fans in the place

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Pack won't fill the Ratner arena.When(or If)is that going to be built?How much money goes the Garden make in Hartford with the Pack?They manage the Civic Center.A smaller arena filled to capacity with fans creates a better atmosphere than playing in a 20,000 seat area with only 2,000 fans in the place
Exactly.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:40 AM
free0717

they average about 3500 a night in attendence. I would like to see an 8000 seat arena. I bet in Brooklyn they would avg 5000 a night. 2000 seating capacity too small.

free0717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:42 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
weinman says the rangers are dismissing the talk of moving the pack by espn as 'purely speculation'
Then "What is the Press Conferance About?

free0717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:43 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

But if there plans are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorSports
Our facility features the only twin indoor NHL-sized ice sheets in New York City and our premier rink will accommodate seating for over 2000 spectators.
http://www.aviatorsports.com/

Is that enough for an AHL game? Seems a bit light.

11-07-2006, 10:44 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Then "What is the Press Conferance About?
well as weinman said the press conference is about the arena deal in brooklyn...the question is whether or not the pack would be moving to that arena or not.

but note that the rangers said it was speculation but they did NOT say it wasn't true...

Old
11-07-2006, 10:46 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
well as weinman said the press conference is about the arena deal in brooklyn...the question is whether or not the pack would be moving to that arena or not.

but note that the rangers said it was speculation but they did NOT say it wasn't true...
Watch it be to announce that Mark Messier will be a scout/assistant coach I hope no one takes this seriously.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:49 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
imo attendance would be MUCH better in brooklyn than it is in hartford. think about all the ranger fans in ny that can't get tickets at msg cause they are sold out or cause its too expense to take the kids to a game...if people can then take the kids to a game at ahl prices they are gonna be alot more willing to go...

plus attendance in hartford gets killed by ex-whaler fans that think they are too good to support an ahl club...

i think you'd get closer to the 6-7000/game that the phantom get in philly.

Old
11-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Taz

The err.... Brooklyn Wolfpack!

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:58 AM
caldercup0

Send a message via AIM to caldercup0
The Pack don't draw 2,000 people a night. They draw more.

Past three years:

2005/2006 - 5,045
2004/2005 - 5,142
2003/2004 - 5,514

It's only on the weekdays that they draw ridiculously low, and you really need to take into account the following:

1) People do have other things to do on weeknights -- families for instance may not want to take their young children out on a school night.

2) Hartford is not the only team in the league that doesn't draw well on weeknights. Last Wednesday, Albany only drew 2,438.

3) The Pack's attendance hasn't been that bad. It's because the arena seats over 14,000 people that people say wow this place is empty.

4) Hartford does have some pretty expensive adult ticket prices. The $2.00 day of game surcharge isn't helping the possibility of a walk-up crowd. If they lowered the prices, more people would be inclined to come.

caldercup0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 11:00 AM
zacn

Change the name to the Brooklyn Brawlers.

By the way, anyone know what time this supposed press conference will take place? Did they mention that part?

Last edited by zacn: 11-07-2006 at 11:06 AM.
zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
They should be called the Brooklyn Cheer if they move . . .

(I can't claim credit for that one, I read it in a Hockey magazine about 10 years ago as a suggestion for a new expansion franchise).

Seriously, I don't think they would move to the new Nets arena, no matter how interesting an AHL team in a Frank Gehry-designed complex would be. The Nets and the Knicks are in direct competition both for league position and fanbase, so why would either MSG or the Nets want to go into business together?

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Other than having to take the Belt, that's great news for Brooklyn. Smart move by the Rangers. It's the same exit that you would take to go to the "Kings Plaza Mall."

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 11:59 AM
zacn

[QUOTE=007;7017431]They should be called the Brooklyn Cheer if they move . . .

(I can't claim credit for that one, I read it in a Hockey magazine about 10 years ago as a suggestion for a new expansion franchise).QUOTE]

Hehe, how about The Brooklyn Local 22? I think that is a very appropriate one. Their mascot could be a union dock worker.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:06 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Other than having to take the Belt, that's great news for Brooklyn. Smart move by the Rangers. It's the same exit that you would take to go to the "Kings Plaza Mall."
It's the very next or previous exit, depending on which way you are coming (11N is kings plaza, I think, so, 11S, towards Rockaway). Otherwise you would have to make a u-turn, which is pretty impossible on Flatbush (actually, I think it's illegal). Alternately, you could take the Q to ave U, take the B3 to Flatbush and then the Q35 towards Rockaway (or get car service at the train).

I'd definitely go see more pack games, that's basically down the block from me. it would be murder on already horrible traffic for the area to deal with, so I'm sure there would be some opposition.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:22 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

The Brooklyn Brawlers

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
[QUOTE=zacn;7017791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
They should be called the Brooklyn Cheer if they move . . .

(I can't claim credit for that one, I read it in a Hockey magazine about 10 years ago as a suggestion for a new expansion franchise).QUOTE]

Hehe, how about The Brooklyn Local 22? I think that is a very appropriate one. Their mascot could be a union dock worker.
Classic. I'm all for it.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacn View Post
Change the name to the Brooklyn Brawlers.
I've been calling for that for years. It would be awesome.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

This is all very funny to me. I grew up near Marine Park/Gerritsen beach and my Grandparents lived across the street from Kings plaza for 30 years. In the 80's my family bought a fishing boat and one of the best fishing spots in all of Long Island Sound was right behind Floyd Bennett field - huge winter flounder, porgies, blackfish, Blues, Weaks and massive Stripers.

I think it'd make a great area for a rink, plenty of space around there to build parking. A pretty good golf range/batting cage/mini golf place right off the belt as you exit and head towards FB field.

Theres no close subways at all, best bet is to get on a bus that runs along Flatbush avenue.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:02 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
This is all very funny to me. I grew up near Marine Park/Gerritsen beach and my Grandparents lived across the street from Kings plaza for 30 years. In the 80's my family bought a fishing boat and one of the best fishing spots in all of Long Island Sound was right behind Floyd Bennett field - huge winter flounder, porgies, blackfish, Blues, Weaks and massive Stripers.

I think it'd make a great area for a rink, plenty of space around there to build parking. A pretty good golf range/batting cage/mini golf place right off the belt as you exit and head towards FB field.

Theres no close subways at all, best bet is to get on a bus that runs along Flatbush avenue.
what is the closest subway?

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:07 PM
MrAlfie

id love it, but at the same time i feel sorry for the people in hartford.
first they lost the whalers, now the wolfpack.

could this mean theyll push really hard to get an nhl-franchise?

"Brookyn Brawlers" sounds good.
I wouldnt have a problem with the "Brooklyn Bombers" either.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:14 PM
McRanger

I say bring back the "Brooklyn Americans".

McRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:15 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

Also a fellow Marine Parker and I grew up playing hockey in Floyd Bennett b/c one of my buddies dad was a park rangers there and he'd open up the empty airplane hanger and we'd be able to play rollerhockey on the smooth concrete floors all night.

The area is full of NYR fans and if they ever did move the Pack there I think it would be a huge success.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote