HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie to Anaheim?

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 03:00 PM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Look at the Carter deal. This place was in an uproar. Would anyone take that deal back now??? I sure wouldn't. Carter is once again on the block in NYR, Pisa doesn't even dress, while Dvo has rockets on his skates and Cross has been dependable, even when playing larger minutes than he has been used to. Kevin Lowe maximzed his return for Carter and Pisa, and a bunch of know-it-all computer geeks bashed him at every oppurtunity. (Not slamming anyone. While I didn't bash the trade, I include myself in the know-it-all computer geek category)
People here were more in an uproar about the Niinimaa deal than the Carter deal BY FAR and it wasn't even close.

I said it last year at the trade deadline and I'll say it again. (Not that anyone will agree with me) You have to maximize your assets... there was no need to throw Ales Pisa into the deal. (It's quite evident that New York didn't want him anyway as they refused to give him a one-way deal that sent him packing. But honestly there was no room for him anyway) With our defensive depth being what it is... having Pisa around for cheap would not be such a bad proposition.

Dvorak, while playing great for us lately, had an extremely poor season last year up to the trade deadline and everything concerning him was a question mark for this team. Anson Carter, while not popular here on this board, was having a decent season and his value was as high as it could have gotten all things considered at the trade deadline. I see no reason why anyone could think that assets were maximized. Though, again, it'll depend on what you believe a player is worth.

I don't think anyone outright deemed the trades themselves horrible.. just that every one of those trades made it seem like Lowe threw in something he didn't need to in order to get it done. (the second rounder along with Niinimaa and Pisa with Carter)

Just my two cents.. and I'm not sure if anyone will agree but there it is.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:07 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Look at the Carter deal. This place was in an uproar. Would anyone take that deal back now??? I sure wouldn't. Carter is once again on the block in NYR, Pisa doesn't even dress, while Dvo has rockets on his skates and Cross has been dependable, even when playing larger minutes than he has been used to. Kevin Lowe maximzed his return for Carter and Pisa, and a bunch of know-it-all computer geeks bashed him at every oppurtunity. (Not slamming anyone. While I didn't bash the trade, I include myself in the know-it-all computer geek category)
I was quite alright with the Carter deal, didn't like the Pisa throw-in much much still was fine with it.

The Niinimaa deal concerned me much more, and I still don't know if we got what we should/could've in that one....

Old
11-25-2003, 03:20 PM
Mr Sakich

When it comes to scouting kids, the oilers are doing a very good job. If lowe considers perry to be a centrepiece on the comrie deal, then I am more inclined to beleive him than anyone here or other fan boards (it is a hissy fit over at oilfans right now, the same guys that called for lowe's firing after the devo deal are at it again)

It is very difficult for a 6'3" guy to lead the ohl in scoring as a 18 year old and maybe this guy is going to be better than pouliot or hemsky. He is currently outscoring carter. He is the same size and is 4 months younger. Would we be happy if the deal was carter and a 2nd? I know I would be.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:35 PM
hunter orange

While I wouldn't do a Comrie for Perry and a 2nd deal, I would pull the trigger on a

Comrie ------ for ------ Perry & Vishnevski

that's pretty decent return all things considered IMO.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Reign Nateo

I know he's not the same player but, Marc Savard was traded for a mediocre prospect in a similar circumstance.

I think a top end prospect like Perry and a 2nd round pick is a decent return, if Lowe is able to get more than that for Comrie, I will be impressed.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:28 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I said it last year at the trade deadline and I'll say it again. (Not that anyone will agree with me) You have to maximize your assets... there was no need to throw Ales Pisa into the deal. (It's quite evident that New York didn't want him anyway as they refused to give him a one-way deal that sent him packing. But honestly there was no room for him anyway) With our defensive depth being what it is... having Pisa around for cheap would not be such a bad proposition.
Why would anyone miss Pisa?

Our problem is not a lack of 6/7 defenseman, but a lack of a #1 dman. If you would like Pisa back, at who's expense?

He was on a one-way deal and isn't better than any d-man currently on our team. We dumped a one-way contract for a player who isn't an NHL calibre defenseman.

I'd bet KLo insisted on Pisa being included in this deal, rather than Sather including we sent him along with Carter.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:29 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

Our problem is not a lack of 6/7 defenseman, but a lack of a #1 dman. If you would like Pisa back, at who's expense?

He was on a one-way deal and isn't better than any d-man currently on our team. We dumped a one-way contract for a player who isn't an NHL calibre defenseman.
He was better than Scott Ferguson.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:39 PM
Seachd

Quote:
If this is the best package out there, and he doesn't feel he will be offered more at a later date, then it is KLo's job to pull the trigger, regardless of what Oiler homers on internet messageboards think.
I don't believe this to be true at all. Lowe's job is to improve his own team, not teams that he's competing against for the playoffs. Getting the right deal for the team, whether it's out there or not, ranks ahead of grabbing the best deal available, in my opinion.

If the Oilers trade Comrie for Perry and a 2nd, not only do they hand a 30-goal scorer to a team they are in direct competition with, but they get two maybes of vastly varying degrees in return.

I'm not saying Perry won't be a good player, and I've said many times that I'd be happy with prospects in return for Comrie, but I think you have to have better odds of that return panning out than Perry and a 2nd. I just don't think it's enough. Way too much of a risk for Edmonton.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:44 PM
momentai

Quote:

I'd bet KLo insisted on Pisa being included in this deal, rather than Sather including we sent him along with Carter.
He didn't even have to resign a one-way contract. Honestly, who knows? Perhaps Lowe could have resigned him and sent him down to Toronto to play. Pisa wasn't drafted by the Rangers so he wouldn't necessarily feel any loyalty towards them... Perhaps he could with us? Or maybe this lets us have another option besides sticking Ferguson out there every night...

Fact of the matter is... I don't believe Lowe had to send Pisa packing. Now, he's not a huge loss by any stretch of the imagination and who knows how things can turn out... It may have turned out exactly the same with Pisa going back to Europe. But at least Lowe would have OPTIONS. That's all my comment was trying to establish.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:44 PM
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I don't believe this to be true at all. Lowe's job is to improve his own team, not teams that he's competing against for the playoffs. Getting the right deal for the team, whether it's out there or not, ranks ahead of grabbing the best deal available, in my opinion.

If the Oilers trade Comrie for Perry and a 2nd, not only do they hand a 30-goal scorer to a team they are in direct competition with, but they get two maybes of vastly varying degrees in return.

I'm not saying Perry won't be a good player, and I've said many times that I'd be happy with prospects in return for Comrie, but I think you have to have better odds of that return panning out than Perry and a 2nd. I just don't think it's enough. Way too much of a risk for Edmonton.
I agree with you Seachd. It makes no sense at all to trade within your division and not receive some roster help now. Perry will not play in Edmonton for at least 2-3 years if we can sign him. (which is never a given)

Why would Lowe make this deal now? I would wait for the right deal to help my club even it means another few months. Teams will have different needs as the season goes along.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:11 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter orange
While I wouldn't do a Comrie for Perry and a 2nd deal, I would pull the trigger on a

Comrie ------ for ------ Perry & Vishnevski

that's pretty decent return all things considered IMO.
I actually wouldn't mind this deal.. I personally haven't seen Perry play but I've read a lot of reviews raving about his play so far this season. Supposedly he went on a crazy off-season training program and this is the first year he's played at around 200 pounds. While it might be a risky move to get two young guys, odds are that one of the two could end up being a very solid player. Vishnevski has looked very good in spurts for Anaheim and might just need a change of location to turn into the dominant d-man many scouts have forseen. I'd be content with a return of Perry and Vishnevski.. I just wonder if Anaheim would offer it.

Old
11-26-2003, 02:31 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
off Oilfans apparently-

Corey Perry and 2nd for Comrie

is the deal on the table and Lupul was pulled from the table and told he was staying.It was posted by Bryn(local radio personality) so it holds a little more credibility than your average post still just speculation.
Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but last night's game summary article this morning from the sun. Has Vishnevski being the latest reported offer/rumour:

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...1-26-0118.html

Closed Thread