Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Alberts...

Old
11-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Ch 4 Action News

vCash: 500
Andrew Alberts...

Question, is it so difficult for him to look up and pass at the same time? He has to have the worst puck control of any defensemen i've seen come along Causeway in a LONG time. I know he is getting too many minutes as our 4th defenseman, but even so, aside from hitting, he seems to have no defensive zone awareness and is too slow on the uptake in his decision making. You can see he has some skills, but he has been making some D-U-M-B plays lately. I'd love to say just stick Jurcina in the 4 man rotation but he's still making rookie mistakes too. Jurcina I think will get better with experience, Alberts i'm not too sure but I'm not at the point of giving up on him yet, although he is a lot older then your typical 2nd year player.

IMHO, when the D gets healthier, I can't see both Jurcina and Alberts in the lineup at the same time. So do you trade one, send one down and risk damaging their heads, or just let one enjoy the spread in the press box?

Ch 4 Action News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 11:41 AM
don

Last night's loss was not Alberts' fault!!!!!!!!!! It was the PK that let us down.......and those who drew the penelties. 4 of the 5 goals scored were against the PKers and I don't think Alberts was on the ice for any of them. The 1 play that you are talking about only resulted in 1 goal and the puck was bouncing.

don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Ch 4 Action News

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Last night's loss was not Alberts' fault!!!!!!!!!! It was the PK that let us down.......and those who drew the penelties. 4 of the 5 goals scored were against the PKers and I don't think Alberts was on the ice for any of them. The 1 play that you are talking about only resulted in 1 goal and the puck was bouncing.
I'm talking about the entire season...and if you watched last nights game he was battling the puck ALL night. I'm not blaming Alberts for losses, the blame goes to a LOT of people. But he isn't helping.

Old
11-07-2006, 11:45 AM
SPICOLI*

I didn't see where it said that the loss last night was Alberts' fault.... Maybe you can show me??

But Alberts still needs help. All he can do is hit, which is good, but he needs to play hockey too. The guy is terrible in 1 on 1 situations. Hossa used him like a prom date last night.

SPICOLI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Westfield Eagle*

Send a message via AIM to Westfield Eagle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
and Thomas should have made the save (that's part of the game...helping out your d in front of you).

Everyone loves to rip Alberts. That's fine. It's par for the course here I guess. Like I said before, Alberts isn't even close to the top of the list of problems this team has. Not even close.

Westfield Eagle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 11:48 AM
WickedBruinsGirl

Alberts is the only defenseman (it seems) who can get the frickin' puck out of the frickin' zone on the frickin' penalty kill.

I do not want to turn this into a Jurcina vs. Alberts thing, but when the D was healthy, Alberts was playing. I highly doubt when B. Stuart returns to the line-up, and M. Stuart comes back from Providence, that Alberts will be watching from the 9th level. But that's just my 2 cents.

11-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Westfield Eagle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBruinsGirl View Post
Alberts is the only defenseman (it seems) who can get the frickin' puck out of the frickin' zone on the frickin' penalty kill.

I do not want to turn this into a Jurcina vs. Alberts thing, but when the D was healthy, Alberts was playing. I highly doubt when B. Stuart returns to the line-up, and M. Stuart comes back from Providence, that Alberts will be watching from the 9th level. But that's just my 2 cents.
He won't be. The same people complaining about the team being soft complain about Alberts. Take him out of the lineup and then see what happens...

Old
11-07-2006, 11:50 AM
WickedBruinsGirl

And if we're going to nitpick on certain defenseman... let's talk about Chara while we're at it.

WickedBruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Ch 4 Action News

I'd love to get some OBJECTIVE opinions if I could.

And can we stick with discussion about ALBERTS...if you want to rip on other defensemen make a thread about them.

Old
11-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Westfield Eagle*

How am I not being objective? I'm not saying he is the best player on the team or the best d-man, but he IS better than a lot of options on the blueline.

The guy came back quicker than anybody thought from a shoulder injury (after playing a GREAT game against CGY). He plays hurt and he plays tough.

Has he been perfect? Nope, but who on this team has?

Again, he is not even close to the top of the list of problems this team has.

Old
11-07-2006, 12:03 PM
RupBoysDad
@Rupboysdad

Right now Alberts is a 5 or 6 playing in the 4. He is a solid defender, but he does need to work on his decisions and passing. He doesn't seem to get the puck to the right people in getting out of the zone. I think he has played fairly well and show some things defensively that are good, I think he needs to work on knowing the situation a little better and getting that break out pass going.

With everyone healthy, I see him on the 3rd rotation with probably Jurcina or M. Stuart. I think someone from the yound D unit (probably either Jurcina or Alberts) getting traded at one point. This is only due to the emergence of Lashoff as a top 4 defender. I honestly thought he was another year away.

Chara - Lashoff
B. Stuart - Mara
Alberts/Jurcina/M. Stuart

RupBoysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Ch 4 Action News

Quote:
1.Mara seems to be very good at it, Chara as well...the problems I see with the PK are trusting teammates to do their jobs, goaltending, and the FORWARDS not getting the puck out and VERY FEW blocked shots period...ESPECIALLY from the forwards.

Old
11-07-2006, 12:04 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Loring View Post
I'd love to get some OBJECTIVE opinions if I could.

And can we stick with discussion about ALBERTS...if you want to rip on other defensemen make a thread about them.
I'm pretty objective when it comes to analyzing a player for his play. I don't have blinders on and I'm pretty damn observant when it comes to hockey. Just because a player is a favorite doesn't mean I think he does everything correctly and is the best player in the world.

Alberts makes mistakes, as does everybody else. Is he at the top of the list of problems on the Bruins at this exact moment? No. And I don't think he'd be playing 18 minutes if he was a problem or how you make him out to be. Hell, if he was exactly like you said he was, he wouldn't be anywhere near professional hockey.

A lot of the people who are "objective" tend to see only the bad plays defensemen make. There are a LOT of other small necessary plays that defensemen need to make too (like being in position, being able to battle for the puck along the boards, keeping the puck in at the point and cutting down opposing team's space) that always get overlooked.

Alberts does need to be better at making quick decisions. But it's also his third game back from being injured.

So with all that said, I'd love to get some OBJECTIVE opinions too.

Old
11-07-2006, 12:08 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Loring View Post
1.Mara seems to be very good at it, Chara as well...the problems I see with the PK are trusting teammates to do their jobs, goaltending, and the FORWARDS not getting the puck out and VERY FEW blocked shots period...ESPECIALLY from the forwards.
That I'll agree with. The D seems to be able to move the puck up to the forwards on the PK, and they fail to get it out past the blue line. Noticed that happened a couple of times last night.

This is probably why the D elects to shoot the puck out themselves from somewhere near the goal line, the face-off circles, or the slot.

Old
11-07-2006, 12:20 PM
BlueAndGold

I don't understand the anti-Alberts sentiment at all. Take a hard look at all defensemen, including our 7.5 million dollar man. They all screw up and all make bad decisions.

Everyone knows Alberts loves to hit and is arguably the best D-man on the team at this, Chara included. But he's also very good at winning puck battles in the corners and getting the puck out of the zone. He smashes a forward into the boards, takes the puck away, and dishes an outlet pass. Compare what he does in this area with other defensemen on the team.

He was/is leading all Bruins defensemen in plus/minus, for what it's worth, so he can't be as bad as some are saying.

BlueAndGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
BleedBruins

I don't see Alberts as having poor decision making or poor puck handling skills.

From what I saw last might, he made a few bad decisions around the crease on whether to pressure, or what line to take to apply pressure.

He also made a poor decision on Hossa's goal. He had an opportunity to play the puck but it was bouncing. Once he doesn't make it, he has to play Hossa's body.

I still say that Alberts is making good strides. Some nights he looks comfortable at 3-4, sometimes not.

I'm more exasperated with Mara's unwillingness to use his body and skating. The reaching increases his propensity to get called for a penalty. We're spending too much time in our own zone, and trying to catch a fairly skilled bunch of forwards. Squeeze them on the boards.

BleedBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Ch 4 Action News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Eagle View Post
How am I not being objective? I'm not saying he is the best player on the team or the best d-man, but he IS better than a lot of options on the blueline.

The guy came back quicker than anybody thought from a shoulder injury (after playing a GREAT game against CGY). He plays hurt and he plays tough.

Has he been perfect? Nope, but who on this team has?

Again, he is not even close to the top of the list of problems this team has.
Once again another poster puts words into my mouth. I did NOT say he was the cause of last nights loss...I did NOT say he is the top problem.

This is a critique on his play to date...NOT JUST ONE GAME. So please stop attacking me with your BC Eagle pompoms.

Yes, your right, he is a better option than York or Dempsey as a 5-6th defenseman. But that is not the point. The point is other than the Calgary game, for which some of built a memorial, he has shown horrible decision making with the puck. In fact, I sometimes wonder if he makes decisions at all. "I'm gonna get this puck behind the net and uh....uh...uh...let that guy in the opposite jersey take it away from me." 5 on 5 he is just horrible with the puck, he rarely makes a succesful pass out of his own zone, he has trouble controlling the puck, and he seems to make a LOT of bad passes behind our net. Luckily, after a minute or two of puck possession by the opposing team sometimes we don't give up a goal or are only forced to take a penalty that ultimately results in a goal. He hits though, great, I like guys that hit. Chara and Brad Stuart can hit too. So can Mark Stuart, hell Jurcina with ice time could throw a few hits. And Mara while not a hitter does play physical.

Unfortunately he is playing too many minutes, I don't blame him for that, injuries suck. And he is inexperienced with NHL hockey, so I am not gonna say deal him. I WOULD rather play Jurcina than Alberts when everyone is healthy just because I think Milan has a lot more upside to be a top four defenseman and Alberts does not. Once again, not saying he isn't an worthy of a spot in the current lineup, but he has NOT been playing well.

Old
11-07-2006, 12:43 PM
chippa13*

I've never understood the lovefest for Alberts. He handles the puck only a shade better than Gill and makes many bad decisions.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Ch 4 Action News

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa13 View Post
I've never understood the lovefest for Alberts. He handles the puck only a shade better than Gill and makes many bad decisions.
You know I was gonna bring up Gill but thought someone might throw a toaster at me.

Old
11-07-2006, 12:48 PM
BruinsGod II

Quote:
it could be due to the fact thats he is 25, 6-4, hard hitting, and is a premiere skater .. just a guess though ..

with Alberts lets not forget thats he's only in his 2nd season (2 years removed from college hockey) .. Lets give these guys some time ..

BruinsGod II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:52 PM
BleedBruins

Quote:
I see a big difference. As far as I'm concerned, Gill simply threw blind wrap arounds about 99% of the time. It was the off chance he would hit an open guy in his zone.

Alberts' errors IMO are from trying to do too much.

Too bad we couldn't sit at a bar and watch a game of each guy. It would be interesting to see what each side thinks, shift by shift.

BleedBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 12:56 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

I like objective people.

Here are his game-by-game minutes.

18:16
18:28
15:12
19:39
18:03
13:06 (injured)
INJ
INJ
INJ
22:42
18:53

Averages to be 18:03, which is ranks 9th on the team and is less than Lashoff's (19:33).

Aside from the 22 minutes, he doesn't really play too many minutes.

Old
11-07-2006, 12:58 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Honestly, until Alberts got used by Hossa, I thought last night was his best game to date. He needs to work on some things, but the guy has some skills. He is a hell of a skater for his size.

There were several occasions when he carried the puck out of the B's zone with authority and went by ATL forwards like they were standing still. IMO, he will be fine if he can speed up his passes coming out of the B's zone, and continue to be physical, but smart.

The only problem I see with Chara is that he is trying to hard. With both Stuarts out of the lineup, he is logging 30 minutes of ice per night and pressing. When B-Stu returns, and Chara's minutes are cut to 25-26 minutes, I believe he will eliminate some of the small mistakes he's been making.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Ch 4 Action News

Quote:
I like objective people.

Here are his game-by-game minutes.

18:28
15:12
19:39
18:03
13:06 (injured)
INJ
INJ
INJ
22:42
18:53

Averages to be 18:03, which is ranks 9th on the team and is less than Lashoff's (19:33).

Aside from the 22 minutes, he doesn't really play too many minutes.
That third number is where he should be, the 13-15 range.

Old
11-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Ch 4 Action News

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
There were several occasions when he carried the puck out of the B's zone with authority and went by ATL forwards like they were standing still. IMO, he will be fine if he can speed up his passes coming out of the B's zone, and continue to be physical, but smart.
You know, I did notice one play where he did this and was thinking back to last year how he HAD started to incorporate this into his game. This was the first game this season I can recall him doing this. It is a positive, and hopefully he does it more. He seems to be able to skate with the puck but when his feet stop moving it's as if his hands and brain stop moving too.