HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribeiro and Perezhogin Progression ?

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 02:14 AM
Necrophile

vCash: 500
Ribeiro and Perezhogin Progression ?

What do you guys think of Ribeiro's progression with the Habs so far? I would like to know what you think about how his play progressed since maybe last year, but especially since the beginning of this season...

Also, if anyone has been able to actually see Perezhogin play in Hamilton this year, can you give some type of summary of how he's playing?

Thanks in advance!

PS: There are a few Hamilton games coming up on Sportsnet East Dec. 7 and onward... This will be my first chance to see Perezhogin and certain others play.

Old
11-26-2003, 02:19 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile
What do you guys think of Ribeiro's progression with the Habs so far? I would like to know what you think about how his play progressed since maybe last year, but especially since the beginning of this season...

Also, if anyone has been able to actually see Perezhogin play in Hamilton this year, can you give some type of summary of how he's playing?

Thanks in advance!
I think it's sad that we don't have a Shane Doan or a Ryan Smyth to play with him. I think he would have more points by now.

I think he's been one of our most consistent player so far. He is on pace for a 50+ pts season and he has played with about everyone on the team so far. But what impresses me the most about Ribs so far is his defensive play. I'd not say he is great defensively but he has certainly improved that aspect of his game a lot. I've seen him backcheck and break plays very often this season.

I think he has a better attitude, skates faster, is a little stronger and much better defensively than he used to be. But the main factor is obviously the increased ice time.

It's great to see him do well. Now let's see if he is built to last.

Old
11-26-2003, 02:36 AM
Andrei Kastsitsyn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile

Thanks in advance!

PS: There are a few Hamilton games coming up on Sportsnet East Dec. 7 and onward... This will be my first chance to see Perezhogin and certain others play.
Mike Ribeiro's game has improved in ALL areas from defense, MUCH better speed, more checking, even backchecking!

And he has confidence too, which helps alot, but for me major improves are his speed, strength, and defense.

About Perezhogin, i saw 3 games of his, all i can say his, he's definately fast and very shifty and i can't wait to see him in montreal

Old
11-26-2003, 02:51 AM
Marchy79

I just hope the best is still yet to come from Mike Ribeiro... He has improved immensely since pretty much being told off by Savard when he first walked in the door... But as it stands now, he is still not quite at a top ten level in terms of second line centres.
He is so talented in terms of his vision... I can see him hit that level (and hopefully more )... But the big question is where his ceiling truly is.

As for Perezhogin... I'd love to see him be a top line player... I really like the fact that he already is responsible defensively... That is a great virtue for a kid so young.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:17 AM
Joe Maximum

Ribs is on the rise, and he will surprise many. Anyone remember Daniel Brière?

Old
11-26-2003, 07:29 AM
Joe Maximum

I'm not saying they are the same type of player because they're not, but Smaller playmakers can take a ton of time to develop. Guys like Ribeiro and Brière kinda managed to get through juniors without really working, since their over average playmaking allowed them to coast through. And also, when a player gets that kind of success in junior by playmaking, of course his tendency will be to keep on making plays and go for the high risk play ( which in the juniors is actually a low risk play ).

What happens when you take guys who rely on deking and highlight reel moves in the juniors and take them to the NHL, they hit a wall. They realize that there are other aspects to the game than playmaking and making the highlight reel. Some take many years to realize this. But to realize this is one thing, to actually do something about it is another. The NHL has shunned countless Junior superstars ( corso, cleary, etc... ).

The important thing is to know if the players are ready to take that extra step that involves 200% work ethic and actually be commited to being better players. I know for a fact that in the past, Mike Ribeiro wasn't ready to take that step, he was a huge pothead in junior, and he smoked cigarettes. While it may seem anally retentive to check those details, well quitting smoking is one of the sacrifices you have to make when you expect to play the big leagues ( unless your name is Guy Lafleur or Mike Bossy ). However, Mike's shown mucho progress lately and I for one think that he is finally commited to becoming a better player

Old
11-26-2003, 07:33 AM
habsfan19

Ribs has improved a lot in the last few years
especially this year obviously

shows you what decent ice time will do for you and playing on top 2 lines
he is much better defensively this year, also faster,stronger,etc...
let's hope he keeps it going

he just needs the wingers to get even better
Perreault,Audette,Dagenais won't do much for him
he needs a top winger like a Ryan Smyth, Bertuzzi or Naslund,etc...
but that won't happen in the near future

maybe if Perezhogin keeps improving he can be that winger

Old
11-26-2003, 07:47 AM
Necrophile

With Saku Koivu being (or appearing) firmly in place as #1 center, and with the future comings of Plekanec (C or LW), Higgins, Kastsitsyn (C or LW), Urquhart etc. do you still think that Ribs is part of the long-term plans of the habs?

I can see these 11 guys cracking the top 3 lines sometime in the not-too-distant future:

Kastsitsyn, Koivu, Zednik, Hossa, Ryder, Ribeiro, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Higgins, Bulis, Balej.

Also, players like Lambert and Urquhart (and possibly other future picks or acquired players) could end up being in MTL's plans. If Ribs keeps steadily improving, could he become somewhat untouchable, or is it likely somebody else could take his spot as 2nd center (thus making Ribs useless to us as he is not 3rd or 4th line material)?

(I can't wait to see Perezhogin play next month!)

Old
11-26-2003, 07:51 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Wow maybe we could actually have 3 lines capable of scoring consistently.

Old
11-26-2003, 08:16 AM
Rahan

sorry for this post since it contains no information, but, I have high expectations about Perezhogin, he's the prospect I hype the most. I don't think he'll be an all-star, but I'm sure he's gonna be a MVP for our team in the future.

Old
11-26-2003, 08:19 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Well it was a make or brake year for little Mikey and so far so good. Seems like he'll make it after all. But his work isn't over. Ribs is showing he'll be able to handle the 2nd line job, especially if he can finally get some decent wingers (pipe dream: Brendan Morrow), but he needs to get stronger, lower body especially. He's now always moving on the ice which makes him much harder to neutralize and he improved his quickness and intensity along the boards, but if he wants to become even better, I'd say a 10 pounds of muscle added during next summer along with some power skating training will allow him to be competitive and even dominant against most teams on most nights resulting in much improved results. If he shows that kind of commitment and with one year older, next year he could become a 60 point successful second line center, something we didn't have for years.

I'm not saying he's disapointing so far though because clearly the best scorer of the team cannot be. Just that this is not the end of the road where Mike should think he has arrived because I still see obvious drawbacks, mostly caused by size and speed, which with the proper effort can be somewhat solved. His defensive commitment has also improved a lot, and he's now better in his off nights than Perreault in his best games in that regard, so this aspect, although it will obviously never be a strenght of his, is minimized enough that it shouldn't be a concern in the future.

Closed Thread