HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madden ,Neidermayer UFA's?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2003, 03:11 PM
  #1
NJDraft
Registered User
 
NJDraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Madden ,Neidermayer UFA's?

I've seen 2 papers say they are,but the NHLPA is telling BoGlobe they aren't. Globe says Madden under contract in 04-05 and Neidermayer is a few weeks short on the 31 age elig.

NJDraft is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 06:16 PM
  #2
MattNJD
Registered User
 
MattNJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,603
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MattNJD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDPEXP
I've seen 2 papers say they are,but the NHLPA is telling BoGlobe they aren't. Globe says Madden under contract in 04-05 and Neidermayer is a few weeks short on the 31 age elig.
I have seen mixed reports as well so I'm not sure. I am pretty sure that Niedermayer *IS* a UFA after this season. Madden on the other hand I'm just not sure about.

MattNJD is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 06:43 PM
  #3
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,376
vCash: 500
Niedermayer should not be an UFA this summer.

He doesn't turn 31 until August 31, 2004. To be a UFA you must either be 31 by July 1, 2004 or have played 10 years and make less than the league average.

Niedermayer doesn't qualify under those rules.

Madden will be 31 on May 4, 2004. I'm not sure how long his contract runs, but I believe that it is up after this season.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 06:44 PM
  #4
Niedermayer21
Registered User
 
Niedermayer21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Limbo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,306
vCash: 500
The Islanders traded Terry Crisp to Philly for Jean Potvin before they drafted Denis, so that Denis Potvin would not jump to the old WHA. Smart move by Bill Torrey.

I can see Lou acquiring Rob Niedermayer at the deadline, if he is available, so that Scott will stay in NJ and Carol can root for both of her sons to win the Cup.

I could see Lou going after Rob and Mike Eastwood at the deadline. Makes some sense.

Niedermayer21 is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 07:45 PM
  #5
PEli*
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: abroad
Posts: 8,901
vCash: 500
Niedermayer shouldn't be unrestricted but it is possible. Madden will be a UFA though. There was some sort of contract thing that lets him and Raf become UFAs a bit earlier.

PEli* is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 09:37 PM
  #6
I Hate Tie DOMI
Registered User
 
I Hate Tie DOMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Port Colborne, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer27
Mike Eastwood
You are soo funny.

I spit the water I was drinking at my computer screen when I read that. That was a good one.

I Hate Tie DOMI is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 09:38 PM
  #7
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
I don't see major moves, or the need make them, but who knows if there will be an injury. I could see the Rob Niedermayer trade being made for the same.

A few years ago in baseball, the Red Sox signed Pedro Martinez's brother Ramon mostly to make their superstar happy. Rob Niedermayer would also add a nice right winger to the team.

If Scott Niedermayer did leave the team in a couple of years, they would still be a great team. I wouldn't go getting too happy that the Devils would go spinning down the drain. The team is built on the idea of interchangeable parts.

David Puddy is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 09:47 PM
  #8
Niedermayer21
Registered User
 
Niedermayer21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Limbo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,306
vCash: 500
Mike Eastwood gives you a big, right-handed center who is good on draws and can still skate. He might be ideal on our fourth line, since Rasmussen is doing next to nothing and Rupp isn't even playing.

Eastwood was good in the playoffs a number of years ago for the Rangers. He is a poor man's Craig Conroy. Very poor, but could be valuable in the Devils system. Don't laugh too hard. It could happen. And he could help!!!!

Niedermayer21 is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 10:06 PM
  #9
I Hate Tie DOMI
Registered User
 
I Hate Tie DOMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Port Colborne, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer27
Mike Eastwood gives you a big, right-handed center who is good on draws and can still skate. He might be ideal on our fourth line, since Rasmussen is doing next to nothing and Rupp isn't even playing.

Eastwood was good in the playoffs a number of years ago for the Rangers. He is a poor man's Craig Conroy. Very poor, but could be valuable in the Devils system. Don't laugh too hard. It could happen. And he could help!!!!

Stop it, my side hurts now.

Rasmussen is only 1 goal and 4 assists behind Conroy this season. Now that I find funny.

I Hate Tie DOMI is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 02:49 AM
  #10
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
The other night, I think Friday Nov. 21, Pat Burns was interviewed by Stan Fischler. Fischler asked the coach about having too many quality players. Burns said it is not a problem now, but could be in the long run because good players will not get playing time.

I highly doubt that Lou Lamoriello is going to take on that much more salary. He slashed a decent amount from last seasons Stanley Cup Champion team.

David Puddy is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 04:52 AM
  #11
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
If Scott Niedermayer did leave the team in a couple of years, they would still be a great team. I wouldn't go getting too happy that the Devils would go spinning down the drain. The team is built on the idea of interchangeable parts.
That is true for the most part, but there are a few players (Brodeur, Stevens & Niedermayer), that would really hurt the Devils to lose, unless they got a very comparable replacement.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 06:50 AM
  #12
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
If Nieermayer leaves we are in deep deep deep deep deep deep deep deep trouble.
Don't worry about it. If he did go, and I don't want him to you should know, that would free up about $4 million for some other quality defenseman.

If Lou Lamoriello left, then we would be in "deep deep deep... trouble."

Niedermayer is a great two-way defenseman, but the whole team does not revolve around him. Brodeur aside, there is no one player that would send out of the group of elite clubs in the league.

Thou dost protet too much.

David Puddy is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 07:35 AM
  #13
tmg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Don't worry about it. If he did go, and I don't want him to you should know, that would free up about $4 million for some other quality defenseman.
Have we ever seen 'freed up money' be used to bring in equivalent free agent talent? Did we *ever* see the Devils use the money not-spent on Holik, on Mogilny, on Nieuwendyk, to bring oin quality replacements?

There are other teams in the NHL that cut loose a big dollar player then use that money to bring in another big dollar player. New Jersey isn't one of them. New Jersey, to the best of my knowledge, has never signed an unrestricted free agent at a salary above the NHL average. They've lost a hell of a lot of free agents who were being paid above NHL average (and went on to sign with other teams, well above the league average).

tmg is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 07:51 AM
  #14
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
Have we ever seen 'freed up money' be used to bring in equivalent free agent talent?
You make valid points, but Lou Lamoriello would do what is necessary to keep the team highly competitive. If the GM thought Niedermayer was going to bolt, Lamoriello would trade him.

I personally think that no one is going to be throwing outrageous money at anyone if the league has a $31 million salary-cap in place. Therefore, I don't fear Niedermayer leaving when he is in-line to be the next captain (he wore the "C" when Scott Stevens had to return home for a death-in-the-family.)

David Puddy is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 07:56 AM
  #15
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
I personally think that no one is going to be throwing outrageous money at anyone if the league has a $31 million salary-cap in place. Therefore, I don't fear Niedermayer leaving when he is in-line to be the next captain (he wore the "C" when Scott Stevens had to return home for a death-in-the-family.)
If there is a $31 million hard salary cap don't expect to see hockey for at least 3 years.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 08:06 AM
  #16
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
If there is a $31 million hard salary cap don't expect to see hockey for at least 3 years.
I agree that $31 million is low, but that is the number that the league has been pushing for. It may just be a bargaining tool, the asking price if you will.

If there isn't hockey for three years, they might have to go back 12 teams because I don't think it would go over well with the public.

David Puddy is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 08:11 AM
  #17
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
I agree that $31 million is low, but that is the number that the league has been pushing for. It may just be a bargaining tool, the asking price if you will.

If there isn't hockey for three years, they might have to go back 12 teams because I don't think it would go over well with the public.
If they get a hard cap I'll be stunned if it's less than $50 million. Too many teams are way over $31 million.

These are last years figures.

1 N.Y Rangers $69.2
2 Detroit $68.0
3 St. Louis $61.8
4 Dallas $61.8
5 Colorado $60.8
6 Philadelphia $55.7
7 Toronto $54.9
8 New Jersey $51.2
9 Washington $50.4
10 Monteal $48.6
11 San Jose $45.1
12 Chicago $44.4
13 Phoenix $43.9
14 Los Angeles $41.8
15 N.Y. Islanders $41.5
16 Anaheim $38.8
17 Carolina $38.4
18 Boston $36.9
19 Vancouver $35.3
20 Calgary $33.6
21 Buffalo $31.5
22 Edmonton $31.5
23 Florida $31.2
24 Pittsburgh $31.2
25 Ottawa $28.5
26 Tampa Bay $28.9
27 Columbus $27.4
28 Atlanta $27.0
29 Nashville $23.3
30 WILD $21.1

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 08:48 AM
  #18
devildan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
Have we ever seen 'freed up money' be used to bring in equivalent free agent talent? Did we *ever* see the Devils use the money not-spent on Holik, on Mogilny, on Nieuwendyk, to bring oin quality replacements?
Yes. Nieuwendyk brought us Larionov. Holik brought us the Anaheim trade (not to mention that a good amount of holiks contract was to be paid with deferals from Marty and Stevens's contracts). Almo was Lous biggest mistake ever. He felt that his young talent like Andreas Salomonsson and Pierre Dageneis could step in and do what almo did for less money. He was obviously wrong there.

devildan is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 08:59 AM
  #19
tmg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildan
Yes. Nieuwendyk brought us Larionov.
And what did the other 4 million bring us?

I'll give you the Sykora trade, but the Larionov signing does not account for the Nieuwendyk money. Nothing accounts for the Mogilny money (we agree). The majority of the time, Lou does not bring in established equal-value talent to replace departed talent. That's never been his philosphy - he always tries first to replace departed talent with developed youth. And I think it's a longshot to expect anyone currently in the Devils' org to replace Neids' talent. Such is life drafting so late every year - guys like Neids go top-5 (Neids did!).

tmg is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 09:07 AM
  #20
devildan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
And what did the other 4 million bring us?

I'll give you the Sykora trade, but the Larionov signing does not account for the Nieuwendyk money. Nothing accounts for the Mogilny money (we agree). The majority of the time, Lou does not bring in established equal-value talent to replace departed talent. That's never been his philosphy - he always tries first to replace departed talent with developed youth. And I think it's a longshot to expect anyone currently in the Devils' org to replace Neids' talent. Such is life drafting so late every year - guys like Neids go top-5 (Neids did!).
White(rfa), Friesen(rfa), Rupp(rfa), Gionta(rfa). Lou also admited he wanted to drop salary. We got a center for 3.5 mil less who could do the same job ... nothing wrong with that.

devildan is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 10:28 AM
  #21
Unthinkable
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
I don't see major moves, or the need make them, but who knows if there will be an injury. I could see the Rob Niedermayer trade being made for the same.

A few years ago in baseball, the Red Sox signed Pedro Martinez's brother Ramon mostly to make their superstar happy. Rob Niedermayer would also add a nice right winger to the team.
That Ramon Martinez deal was just the tip of the iceberg here in Boston. Red Sox management tore down their locker room and completely redid it to appease Manny Ramirez' concerns that there weren't enough off limits areas to get away from the media and they went out and signed a bunch of his buddies to keep his spirits up.

 
Old
11-26-2003, 11:19 AM
  #22
tmg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildan
White(rfa), Friesen(rfa), Rupp(rfa), Gionta(rfa). Lou also admited he wanted to drop salary. We got a center for 3.5 mil less who could do the same job ... nothing wrong with that.
So, back to the origin of this topic:


What happens if/when Neids walks?

Lou hires a cheaper stopgap 40-year old?

Lou gives Neids' money to other RFAs?

Either way, he won't be replacing Neids with equvalent talent.

tmg is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.