HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In honor of the last real Hab goal scorer...

Old
11-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Tatay Farlo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
In honor of the last real Hab goal scorer...

I picked this up of my all-time favorite Hab and really last true sniper the Habs have had. Also, love the inscription to the '86 Cup.

Tatay Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 01:21 AM
lilooet*

I think my all-time favourite Richer moment was during the Heritage Classic when, from just inside the top of the circle, he unloaded a errant slapshot on an unsuspecting Grant Fuhr. He was a great player, but for some reason I often think of that shot. It was so ridiculous it still makes me laugh.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 01:35 AM
Form and Substance

I remember his shot, insanity... hard and accurate, and he could get it off from just about anywhere. Too bad he got all Ian Curtis and had wild mood swings.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 01:35 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

You know, richer was good, but he had the tools to be better than that

if only he had the work ethic....

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 02:08 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

I agree...he was my favourite player and I thought people had forgotten about him. He would score 50 goals then follow it up with a 25 goal season. The very next year he scored 51 goals followed by a 31 goal season, I believe. I remember it like it was yesterday. There were a lot of rumours that he was homosexual, but I didn't want to believe it. He had great chemistry on a line with Shayne Corson and Brian Skrudland.

I also remember after that 50 goal season people were saying he was lucky to get 50. I believe he scored a hat trick his very last game of the season versus Hartford in order to hit 50.

After a dismal 25 goal season he proved the critics wrong and scored 51 so there was no mistake he was a 50 goal man. He was also a very strong player. I remember he had a defenseman on him and he had one hand on the stick going to the net with the puck and wristed it top shelf. I've never seen strength like that before with one hand, not even from Mario Lemieux.

Richer, back in those days, was neck and neck with Cam Neely in the goals department where Cam Neely eventually beat him with 55 goals, I think.

I was sad to see him go, but we got Kirk Muller who I wasn't totally sold on simply because I didn't know enough about him. Muller soon became my new favourite player and then I cried when he was traded.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 02:20 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
I agree...he was my favourite player and I thought people had forgotten about him. He would score 50 goals then follow it up with a 25 goal season. The very next year he scored 51 goals followed by a 31 goal season, I believe. I remember it like it was yesterday. There were a lot of rumours that he was homosexual, but I didn't want to believe it. He had great chemistry on a line with Shayne Corson and Brian Skrudland.

I also remember after that 50 goal season people were saying he was lucky to get 50. I believe he scored a hat trick his very last game of the season versus Hartford in order to hit 50.

After a dismal 25 goal season he proved the critics wrong and scored 51 so there was no mistake he was a 50 goal man. He was also a very strong player. I remember he had a defenseman on him and he had one hand on the stick going to the net with the puck and wristed it top shelf. I've never seen strength like that before with one hand, not even from Mario Lemieux.

Richer, back in those days, was neck and neck with Cam Neely in the goals department where Cam Neely eventually beat him with 55 goals, I think.

I was sad to see him go, but we got Kirk Muller who I wasn't totally sold on simply because I didn't know enough about him. Muller soon became my new favourite player and then I cried when he was traded.
HAHAHA, ***...That is the most random sentence in the paragraph...yet it's the one that sticks out the most.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 02:21 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
There were a lot of rumours that he was homosexual, but I didn't want to believe it.
Whether you believe it or not, what business is it of yours?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 02:47 AM
nikrag03*

Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
lol

nikrag03* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 09:21 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well if he's also a homosexual, he could pick up.

11-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Well if he's also a homosexual, he could pick up.
I would say it's preferable not to mix pick-ups and homosexuals...

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 09:52 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Charles View Post
I would say it's preferable not to mix pick-ups and homosexuals...
Yeah the last time they did that Alberta was born

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 09:59 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Yeah the last time they did that Alberta was born
hey-oh!

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Maverik

I actually have a signed hockey stick from him, gave it to me at his golf course in Montpellier during my minor hockey team tournament 8-9 years ago. I wonder what it's worth? lol

Also played with his agent a few years ago at the same golf course. He (Richer) was supposed to be in the group ahead of us but never showed up, so his agent and a friend paired up with me and my friend. He was telling me about how Richer was always partying since he retired, I wonder if he was doing that while playing too?

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 10:43 AM
znk

He'd get to the blue line and let a slapper go. It wouldnt get much higher than 1" inch and would go in 5 hole.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Darz

I think one of Richer's biggest problems was the fact that he wasn't a true 50 goal scorer, but was cast into that role by Montreal fans and media alike.

Richer, imo, was more of a 35 goal scorer who had two great years that saw him score 50 goals. Richer had an incredible shot, but unlike a true 50 goal man, he didn't have a quite release. His slap shot took too much time to get off. If he had a release similiar to Brett Hull's he would of been a true 50 goal man (maybe 60 goal man).

Also Richer didn't have the greatest of hockey sense. He didn't find those open spaces as good as some other top goal scorers in the league did, and he didn't make the greatest use of his teammates.

With that being said, I was a fan of Richer's, and I was actually impressed with his work ethic (during games anyways) during his second go around in Montreal.

11-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Tatay Farlo

Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
My favorite moments from Richer are the end to end rushes. Always got the Forum buzzing with excitement.

Old
11-09-2006, 01:22 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

Totally agree......never became the player he could have.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
He had great chemistry on a line with Shayne Corson and Brian Skrudland.
I agree here that the best line that Richer played on in Mtl was with Corson and Skrudland.

I'll go one further though. The best center that Richer could have played with at the time would be the guy he was traded for. When you compare Skrudland and Kirk Muller's styles, skating, stick handling, shot, work ethic, leadership etc. THey are very similar players. The difference of course was that Muller had a lot more talent, much better skating, better shot. But I think the two played similar type of all-round game. I would have loved to have seen a line of Richer-Muller-Corson. I think it would have been Mtl's best line since the Lafeur-Larouche-Shutt line.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 02:11 PM
GSK*

I'm a fan of Richer he was a good hockey player...

But IMO, Claude Lemieux was the best player in the 86 playoff...Except for Roy...

But that was amazing 3pts in 10 games rookie, came in the playoff 10-6-16 in 20 games...

Lemieux is the best clutch playoff players of all time.

He was not so bad in regular season 9 seasons of 25 goals or more...5 of 30 or more and 1 of 40. Best season in terms of points are, 81pts (30g), 71pts (39g), 68pts(41g), 61pts (31g) etc.

In playoff 94-95 Conn Smythe winner, after a soso season of 19pts in 43games in came in the playoff with 13 goals 3 assists in 20 games.

And I'll never forgot in the season 95-96, Lemieux 39goals and 71pts, Kamensky was 38 goals and 78pts, Forsberg hit his career high with 30 goals and 116pts (somophore) and Sakic hit the 51 goals and 120pts.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 03:57 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
He was my favourite player, buddy. I was 13 years old and as a 13 year old at the time it was disappointing to hear. Sorry if, as a 13 year boy, I wasn't thinking about political correctness. I was simply stating a fact about the rumours being discussed at the time eluding to off ice distractions Richer went through. That statement was very relevant to my post. Take a pill if you don't like it sunshine.

And what business is it of yours to question me about whether or not I believe it? Perhaps you should stick to the topic of this thread rather than posting nonsense.

Last edited by LesHabsRock: 11-09-2006 at 04:02 PM.
LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
I remember his shot, insanity... hard and accurate, and he could get it off from just about anywhere. Too bad he got all Ian Curtis and had wild mood swings.
lol, I think you like Joy Division too much!

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Habs13

I got to meet him at the jamboreeeee a couple of years back and I was really happy about that! He and Nilan where my favoite players when I was a kid.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Tatay Farlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
I got to meet him at the jamboreeeee a couple of years back and I was really happy about that! He and Nilan where my favoite players when I was a kid.
How was that? He is friendly to his fans or just a hockey snob?

Old
11-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I think one of Richer's biggest problems was the fact that he wasn't a true 50 goal scorer, but was cast into that role by Montreal fans and media alike.

Richer, imo, was more of a 35 goal scorer who had two great years that saw him score 50 goals. Richer had an incredible shot, but unlike a true 50 goal man, he didn't have a quite release. His slap shot took too much time to get off. If he had a release similiar to Brett Hull's he would of been a true 50 goal man (maybe 60 goal man).

Also Richer didn't have the greatest of hockey sense. He didn't find those open spaces as good as some other top goal scorers in the league did, and he didn't make the greatest use of his teammates.

With that being said, I was a fan of Richer's, and I was actually impressed with his work ethic (during games anyways) during his second go around in Montreal.
his work ethic during his 2nd go around was actually good.... I'll give you that

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote