HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For the life of me...

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 03:02 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
For the life of me...

can anyone explain why on earth Scott Ferguson, a pending UFA #6 D (by minutes as played by coach Craig MacT among the 6 D dressed tonight) is being played above Alexei Semenov, a 23 year old prospect who shows great future promise.

Is the "reliability" that important a factor for a developing team like EDM, especially in the #6 D slot? Would the team, long-term outlook, not be better served by having Semenov play in the NHL?

Why not just recall Allen and send Semi down to play 25 a game in TOR if you aren't gonna play him?

Old
11-25-2003, 03:11 PM
momentai

Speeds.. you're preaching to the choir here. I've been calling for this since day one of the regular season.

I cannot figure out any type of reasoning for this move. Semenov had a bad camp... ok fine. Did Ferguson have a camp that was that much better? I don't think so. So, automatically Ferguson gets the nod over a guy that was your #3 dman last year and played a consistent 20 minutes a night.

Ok, I get it. He's not playing physical enough. You want him to use the body more. But you sit him for that? Especially when you played the heck out of him as a rookie and he played EXACTLY the same way last season. It certainly didn't look like it bothered the Oilers that much that he wasn't hitting when they were playing him 20 minutes a night with Brewer.

Once again... the answer to the question of why Semenov is sitting and not Ferguson eludes me. I'd like to hear the reasoning if at all possible. But I'm guessing I'd hear the response, "He's a veteran." Well, when Bergeron (a rookie) is outplaying your veteran... something is wrong.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:14 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
can anyone explain why on earth Scott Ferguson, a pending UFA #6 D (by minutes as played by coach Craig MacT among the 6 D dressed tonight) is being played above Alexei Semenov, a 23 year old prospect who shows great future promise.

Is the "reliability" that important a factor for a developing team like EDM, especially in the #6 D slot? Would the team, long-term outlook, not be better served by having Semenov play in the NHL?
?

There were a few of us who have been on this train all along, I always had both Bergeron and Semenov in the lineup with Ferguson out. That's what he's suited for, that's what he should be doing. Everyone's slowly coming around to the fact that Ferguson simply shouldn't be back there on a nightly basis, we can only hope the coaching staff is as well.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:37 PM
future consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
There were a few of us who have been on this train all along, I always had both Bergeron and Semenov in the lineup with Ferguson out. That's what he's suited for, that's what he should be doing. Everyone's slowly coming around to the fact that Ferguson simply shouldn't be back there on a nightly basis, we can only hope the coaching staff is as well.
Everyones slowly coming around?

Almost everyone on this board thinks Semi should be ahead of Fergie.

Why MacT has him sitting I have no clue. I mean he complains he's not being physical but never plays him and if he does it's for one game. Lets hope he gets a shot for like 6 games or so.

Old
11-25-2003, 04:13 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by future consideration
Everyones slowly coming around?

Almost everyone on this board thinks Semi should be ahead of Fergie.

Why MacT has him sitting I have no clue. I mean he complains he's not being physical but never plays him and if he does it's for one game. Lets hope he gets a shot for like 6 games or so.
BUT, most said Ferguson should be in the top-six, and they are finally realizing that simply isn't true.

Old
11-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
BUT, most said Ferguson should be in the top-six, and they are finally realizing that simply isn't true.
Respectfully disagree. 95% of the posters here felt that Ferguson SHOULD have been the odd man out. Some felt MacT would see it differently, and he has as it turns out.

I'd guess less than 10% of us felt they'd use Semenov this way, as it defies logic.

Old
11-25-2003, 04:18 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Respectfully disagree. 95% of the posters here felt that Ferguson SHOULD have been the odd man out. Some felt MacT would see it differently, and he has as it turns out.

I'd guess less than 10% of us felt they'd use Semenov this way, as it defies logic.
Well, I guess we're gonna have to a-to-d on this one. I seem to remember him being #6 in many opening night lineup cards on HF.

Old
11-25-2003, 04:18 PM
Oi'll say!

I'm still thinking that the 20+ lbs Semi put on during the off season was in all the wrong places, he must have shown up at camp all fat and happy and is in MacT's doghouse.

I can't think of any other possible reason.

He even got away a few of his big slapshots so far this season, the only ones he got away last season were at the skills competition.

Old
11-25-2003, 04:26 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Well, I guess we're gonna have to a-to-d on this one. I seem to remember him being #6 in many opening night lineup cards on HF.
Ok, I've misunderstood. I thought you were saying that people WANTED Ferguson in the top 6, as opposed to what they THOUGHT MacTavish would de. My mistake. imo if you asked people to list their personal top 6, Semenov would make almost every list.

Old
11-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Oiltown16

Well this is what i think our defence should look like

Brewer - in for sure
Staios - in for sure
Smith - in for sure
Cross - in, unless were playing an extremely speedy forward team
Semenov - in for sure
Bergeron - in if were playing a smaller team
Ferguson - in if were playing a big or veteren team

Old
11-25-2003, 05:31 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I don't think you could come even close to justifying sitting MAB right now, he does way too many things for this team. He's probably the #4 guy right now, and gets sent out in OT, nearly all powerplays, and key situations at the end of the game. For instance, he's the only d-man back there who'll consistently just take the puck and lug it out when we need it. Barring a significant downturn, he really doesn't seem like an "in and out" player. But who knows in this whacky system.....

Old
11-25-2003, 05:36 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ya, Berggy DEFINATELY has earned his spot. it would be STUPID to take him out. Semenov SHOULD be playing. It makes no sense. I mean sure he needs to play more physical - he knows it, but how the hell can he do that if he never plays. Also it's tough for a guy to step in and be a real presense when they sit for weeks on end. Semmy deserves some more time. I'm P.O.'d

Closed Thread