HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 11/10/06 New York Rangers @ Atlanta Thrashers, 7:30pm EST

Old
11-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
exelby fights with a visor .

Atlanta didnt play like a top team in the East. Because the aren't. I guess 11 games vs the southeast helps the w/l record?

Not saying the Rangers didnt dominate. Best game they played all year. Instead of 'breakdown > breakdown > breakdown > opponent score' it was stopped at the first breakdown. Maybe Renney is a good coach now?
Its interesting, games in which he gets last change, he seems to make wrong decisiosn by overplaying key guys. games in which he is forced to roll all 3 lines, he wins.

hmm, interesting.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Absolutley, but no, don't alternate Hossa and Dawes. Promote Lessard...let him play until an effective 4th liner is found and swap him with Hossa because that could work too. Orr-Hossa permanent, Lessard the extra
Damn... I think that could be the best-case scenario. Since Dawes won't be playing and if he'll only get 3 minutes or so, send him to Hartford and call up the ultimate 13th Forward: Lessard.

He'll be happy just to be on an NHL team and will settle for his role as 13th man...

... there is just one problem: He is out with an elbow injury, for at least 1-2 weeks... hmmmmm

PLUS............... ORTMEYER SHOULD BE BACK SOON! HIGH FIVEEEE!!!!!

Last edited by Osminator: 11-10-2006 at 11:48 PM.
Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 01:37 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Rangers IMO played there best game of the season (on par with the ANA game). Great defensively, forwards helped out defensively, PP was clicking, PK was good IMO (yes they gave up 2 PP goals but one was a 5 on 3..the other PP goal was a shot that had eyes and was pure luck that it got through and went top shelf). Goaltending was great by Hank and our offense was solid...dont know what more we can ask for and with a 5-2 win vs a top team in the league it came out with a great outcome.

I said I would have rather had Dawes in the lineup but the way Orr played tonight he proved me wrong. He was perfect in tonights game and played his role great. Good move by Renney.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 02:02 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Damn... I think that could be the best-case scenario. Since Dawes won't be playing and if he'll only get 3 minutes or so, send him to Hartford and call up the ultimate 13th Forward: Lessard.

He'll be happy just to be on an NHL team and will settle for his role as 13th man...

... there is just one problem: He is out with an elbow injury, for at least 1-2 weeks... hmmmmm

PLUS............... ORTMEYER SHOULD BE BACK SOON! HIGH FIVEEEE!!!!!
Wow...completely forgot about Jed there, that's the perfect guy to fill in for Marcel and then you've really got a picture perfect 4th line

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 02:28 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Renney:
Used shorter shifts and lower ice time for the 'star' players
Used the 4th line to effectively wear down the opposing team
Had the team respond to the physical play of Atlanta

This is the first time they've really done all of these things. It's kind of a milestone.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 05:31 AM
XploD

I haven't been able to watch the last couple of games. So I'm wondering, how has Ozolinsh looked so far?

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

What more can I say that hasnt been already said by everyone in this thread. The Rangers had their best game of the season last night, they came out hard and quick. The top line was just that, top. I love the fact that Jagr is getting a little bit of a "snarl" if you will, to him again. He is banging and even though I dont like the elbow he threw into I think it was Excelby, I like the fact that he was making a statement that he wasnt going to be pushed around. Straka/Nylander along with Jag's are playing great right now. Cullen impresses me more and more, he is so quick, he can take the shot, or he can dish it to someone else like Shanny, who is still playing phenominal. Prucha is also playing good, 5 goals in his last 8 games, cant say enough good things about this kid. What really suprised me was how well the D played, they made short smart passed out of the zone. When the puck was dumped into their zone, they hustled to the puck, and correct me if i'm wrong but I saw Malik skate the puck into the zone once or twice. Plus Roszival got a pretty nice goal. All in all the skaters played great. Which then leaves Henrik, who is looking better and better and he gets more and more comfortable. His positioning is improving, as is his rebound control. That was something he was having a problem with early on in the season, but he seems to have been able to turn it around somewhat. My one negative from the game, and i'm sure it has been beaten to death but, fighting with the visor! common. That to me is so cheap, look at the Hollweg/Jansen fight from earlier on in the season, they both took of their helmets and then began the fight. That was for lack of a better word a "classy" way of fighting, they both understood what they were out there for and did their jobs. I say boo to fighting with visors on. LETS GO RANGERS!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Xplod: Ozo hasnt looked bad in really any of the games he has played so far, except for the -3 rating in florida the other night(I think it was -3). I dont know if it appears that way because some of the other D-men's play was questionable or he is just playing better. I would think its the latter. He is making smart plays with and without the puck and has been a solid guy in the defensive zone. Definitly not the guy who was on the ice during the Devils series a few months back.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Renney:
• Used shorter shifts and lower ice time for the 'star' players
• Used the 4th line to effectively wear down the opposing team
• Had the team respond to the physical play of Atlanta

This is the first time they've really done all of these things. It's kind of a milestone.
Finally messed around with the defensive pairings too and everyone looked pretty good tonight.

My girlfriend continues to comment on how Jagr is passing the puck on the PP rather than shooting it and it's "faking everyone out", hence the recent success with the man advantage.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 10:53 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Finally messed around with the defensive pairings too and everyone looked pretty good tonight.
Hasn't it been:

Ward-Tyutin
Malik-Rozsival
Rachunek-Ozolinch

for the last couple of games?

Quote:
My girlfriend continues to comment on how Jagr is passing the puck on the PP rather than shooting it and it's "faking everyone out", hence the recent success with the man advantage.
Not sure how many watched the post game, but Nylander made an interesting point - they're also starting to mix it up positioning-wise on the power play. It's not always Jagr on the right side of the umbrella, Shanny on the left - and it's throwing teams because the guys aren't always where you expect them to be (based on scouting the first 10 games of the year). Also, Rozsival's sudden willingness to shoot - and do it accurately - makes a HUGE difference.

Given how much grief we've given Renney (deservedly so, I think) for his management of the Dmen, keeping Dawes in the press box and overuse of the top line plus Shanny, I think we definitely have to give the coaching staff credit for these changes in the PP.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 11-11-2006 at 10:59 AM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 11:03 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

By the way, TBBB - I must say that that was the first game where I thought Orr's inclusion in the lineup was a positive. Good for him.

Old
11-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Fletch

Orr was a positive..

in that he didn't do anything negative.

Still trying to quantify his benefit. He had a fight and threw a couple checks. Atlanta still outhit the Rangers by 3-1, most likely. Jagr still scrummed. Ward was knocked into next Tuesday as was Prucha. Orr goes after Vishnevsky and Atlanta goes the other way for a good chance. I don't know how to measure this.

As for the game - getting out in front early was key. The first goal completely caught the Thrashers off guard. Nylander with the nice shot, but followed that up with getting fancy in the neurtral zone and turning it over for a good scoring chance against. The PP looked horrible until the last 15 seconds, and thank God they scored because they were out there that whole shift and in 5 more seconds Atlanta would've been out of the box - you want to avoid that situation as much as possible.

All in all, a good road victory where I actually think Atlanta played a bit better. They never recovered from those three shots and the Rangers win on the road.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 11:24 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
All in all, a good road victory where I actually think Atlanta played a bit better. They never recovered from those three shots and the Rangers win on the road.
Generally, I agree with you, Fletch, but not here. The Rangers definitely outplayed them last night. Atlanta had a couple of powerplays where Kovalchuk was able to bring his laser to bear, but other than that the Rangers dictated play. Yes, Atlanta had one or two flurries in the late 2nd, but other than that, the Rangers were controlling the puck for the majority of the game. The stats don't necessarily reflect domination, but they are characteristic for what happens when one team jumps out to an early lead and the other team is scrambling to get back into it. Great game by the Rangers, perhaps their best of the year.

Best of all, Hank is looking better and better with every game.

Old
11-11-2006, 11:55 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:

Still trying to quantify his benefit. He had a fight and threw a couple checks. Atlanta still outhit the Rangers by 3-1, most likely. Jagr still scrummed. Ward was knocked into next Tuesday as was Prucha. Orr goes after Vishnevsky and Atlanta goes the other way for a good chance. I don't know how to measure this.

As for the game - getting out in front early was key. The first goal completely caught the Thrashers off guard. Nylander with the nice shot, but followed that up with getting fancy in the neurtral zone and turning it over for a good scoring chance against. The PP looked horrible until the last 15 seconds, and thank God they scored because they were out there that whole shift and in 5 more seconds Atlanta would've been out of the box - you want to avoid that situation as much as possible.

That hit stat is total garbage. Colton Orr had at least 5 checks, Hollweg closer to 7 or 8... they listed Colton with 1 and Hollweg with 3? Jagr also threw 2 body checks and he gets a big fat 0? Who does these hit stats anyway? Not even close.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Renney:
Used shorter shifts and lower ice time for the 'star' players
Used the 4th line to effectively wear down the opposing team
Had the team respond to the physical play of Atlanta

GREAT post.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Fletch

Sorry Unspoken...

but I have no idea what the hit 'stats' were, I was going by what I saw. I did see Jagr throw a hit (on Kovalchuk). I saw at least two Orr hits. I also saw a nice hit by Orr on Exelby, and then the Hollweg fight and then I saw Exelby come right back in the second period as aggressive as ever, going after Jagr and trying to cheap shot Nylander, and then saw Vishnevsky throw a big check. I do agree about the stat - and most subjective stats.

BFN - Atlanta had a nice first period too. They got a couple bad bounces (as in the second on the Prucha goal), but they played well.

One thing I didn't mention was how well the defense played, especially in moving the puck.

Old
11-11-2006, 12:49 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:

Orr was a positive in that he didn't do anything negative? What about the positive that he did? Won a fight and threw many nice checks. And I really don't know how you can say Atlanta outplayed us...they looked lost half the time...goalie high sticking his own d man...Boulton trying to hit people hard all game and missing...Larsen getting shoved down by Jagr...Lethonen also looked horrible

Old
11-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Fletch

Tbbb...

Atlanta outhit and outshot the Rangers, and wona fight too - thought that's something you'd be looking for; hitting, shooting and fighting.

Old
11-11-2006, 01:56 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Atlanta outhit and outshot the Rangers, and wona fight too - thought that's something you'd be looking for; hitting, shooting and fighting.
OK but what those stats don't show is where the teams shot from and the quality of the shots. Also, we have already covered how misleading the hit stats are

Old
11-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The Rangers last night showed that they COULD be one of the best teams in hockey. I doubt they play like that for the rest of the season but the frustrating thing is they CAN play like that.....

It's hard throw anybody under the bus but I will anyway. Marek Malik should not be in the Rangers lineup against washington. He was the lone Ranger that looked out of place last night and was the only guy making mistakes shift after shift..

Either Hossa or Orr should sit for Dawes...I know we won but it's a damn shame this kid can't get in the lineup and play 7 or 8 minutes..

Best game of the season last night for Renney. He worked the bench like a coach should..

Rangers win tonight we might be on to something here...

For every Ranger road win it magnifies the home record...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 02:41 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The Rangers last night showed that they COULD be one of the best teams in hockey. I doubt they play like that for the rest of the season but the frustrating thing is they CAN play like that.....

It's hard throw anybody under the bus but I will anyway. Marek Malik should not be in the Rangers lineup against washington. He was the lone Ranger that looked out of place last night and was the only guy making mistakes shift after shift..

Either Hossa or Orr should sit for Dawes...I know we won but it's a damn shame this kid can't get in the lineup and play 7 or 8 minutes..

Best game of the season last night for Renney. He worked the bench like a coach should..

id sit Hossa and play Dawes. Orr must play tonight, he had a good game last night, sticking up for teammates when Boulton was running around causing trouble. That is Boulton's job like it is Orr's. Caps got gritty players in Suthberby, Clark and huggybear. If the game gets out of hand, expect Huggybear to do something, maybe he will pull Hollweg's hair instead I predict 6-2 Rangers.. Goals for Rangers: Shanny, Prucha, Jagr (2), Nylander, Cullen. Goals for Caps: Ovechkin and Sutherby.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 03:04 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:

OK just admit it...no matter what Orr or Hossa do...you will always hate them? Geez, they have proven that they can handle the duties...just send Dawes down

Old
11-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
OK just admit it...no matter what Orr or Hossa do...you will always hate them? Geez, they have proven that they can handle the duties...just send Dawes down
I don't hate Hossa at all I just don't think he can develop on this team.. I think he could be a valuable member of the rangers at some point but his window is closing rapidly.

I don't hate Orr it would be nice if HE could develop skills such as...SKATING in the AHL. I think under the right conditions he could be in the Rangers plans in the future. This is all stuff we have discussed before I'm not getting into it again

Dawes is small but that doesn't mean he isn't cut out for 7 minutes a night in the NHL on a two way 4th line. He is a sound defensive player and adds skating and youth to a lineup that needs it.

If Dawes can score one goal every 5 games getting 7 minutes a night (one goal every 35 minutes of even strength time) it would be more than we are getting right now from our 4th line wingers. He adds balance to the lineup that needs it and to me it doesn't matter who you scratch Orr or Hossa to get this kid in the lineup. When Ortmeyer comes back the Rangers 4th line should be..

Dawes Ward Ortmeyer

It is another 3rd line and on nights that the Hollweg Betts Hall line aren't playing well can step up and take those minutes. It gives the Rangers a balanced attack which they still lack..It also shuts up every media pundit and fan (you, me, look around you) that is still a tad pissed that the Rangers youth movement has stagnated a bit..

Dawes shouldn't be sent down he should be promoted from purgatory. Somebody the other day called the rangers treatment of Dawes "Manny" like and I laughed it off...I'm starting to think it's worse than what they did to Manny. Malhotra should've been in Junior developing...Dawes should be in the NHL...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 06:08 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
I don't hate Hossa at all I just don't think he can develop on this team.. I think he could be a valuable member of the rangers at some point but his window is closing rapidly.

I don't hate Orr it would be nice if HE could develop skills such as...SKATING in the AHL. I think under the right conditions he could be in the Rangers plans in the future. This is all stuff we have discussed before I'm not getting into it again

Dawes is small but that doesn't mean he isn't cut out for 7 minutes a night in the NHL on a two way 4th line. He is a sound defensive player and adds skating and youth to a lineup that needs it.

If Dawes can score one goal every 5 games getting 7 minutes a night (one goal every 35 minutes of even strength time) it would be more than we are getting right now from our 4th line wingers. He adds balance to the lineup that needs it and to me it doesn't matter who you scratch Orr or Hossa to get this kid in the lineup. When Ortmeyer comes back the Rangers 4th line should be..

Dawes Ward Ortmeyer

It is another 3rd line and on nights that the Hollweg Betts Hall line aren't playing well can step up and take those minutes. It gives the Rangers a balanced attack which they still lack..It also shuts up every media pundit and fan (you, me, look around you) that is still a tad pissed that the Rangers youth movement has stagnated a bit..

Dawes shouldn't be sent down he should be promoted from purgatory. Somebody the other day called the rangers treatment of Dawes "Manny" like and I laughed it off...I'm starting to think it's worse than what they did to Manny. Malhotra should've been in Junior developing...Dawes should be in the NHL...
Well as per usual here, the difference in our conversation is Orr. I think he's a necessity and last night showed his importance on this team. Ortmeyer will fill in for Dawes and Hossa will be the EX forward...or at least that should happen if you ask me