HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob McKenzie's Hockey Insider (Comrie)

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Bob McKenzie's Hockey Insider (Comrie)

During tonights Blues-Bruins game, McKenzie took about one minute to talk about the Comrie situation.

He said that the talks are heating up because the Oilers have lowered the asking price. McKenzie said that they no longer are asking for a top 6 forward or a top 4 dman, and would accept a prospect and a pick.

This falls in line with Bryn's post at oilfans with regard to Anaheim. McKenzie said that a deal with Anaheim is not close to being made, though, and that the Kings and Ducks are the frontrunners.

What does anyone know about this kid from Anaheim?

Old
11-25-2003, 07:14 PM
goldenchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide

that he's not fair value for Comrie. I say if that's the best you can get, wait till the all-star break or even the deadline.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Digger12

"Mow your lawn for $5..."

Heck if I know. He's got some decent OHL stats for an 18 year old and a solid frame. He's wearing #94, and is a right hand shooting RW.

He sounds OK, but I sure hope he's not the highlight of a Comrie deal.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:18 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

I can buy that Lowe's focus has shifted from roster players to prospects, but I see no reason why he should lower his asking price.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:24 PM
Mr Sakich

i don't think he had any new info. Sad to say but he is getting his info from these sites.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:26 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=3376

He sounds like a bigger Hemsky (not in talent, but in style), a playmaking RW with lots of creativity that doesn't shoot enough and needs to bulk up.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:32 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I can buy that Lowe's focus has shifted from roster players to prospects, but I see no reason why he should lower his asking price.
maybe our asking price was not generating as much interest. Honestly I would have to think long and hard if I would even trade Pouliot for Perry + 2nd pick. I don't know 22nd overall for 28th overall+2nd pick hmmm... but the fact this is the offer for Comrie makes me a tad queezy to my stomach.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:32 PM
leafaholix*

He's very weak and his skating is average.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Oi'll say!

This kid is on pace for 150+ points and had more than 1.5 ppg last year in the ohl playoffs, and he's a rw which is probably our weakest fwd position in terms of depth.

I wouldn't mind if he was the centerpiece of the Comrie return, with the Oates signing we don't need an nhl'er right away.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:41 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
maybe our asking price was not generating as much interest.
Hey, who cares? This isn't a used car dealership. It's not like Comrie's taking up space on the lot.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:44 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
This kid is on pace for 150+ points and had more than 1.5 ppg last year in the ohl playoffs, and he's a rw which is probably our weakest fwd position in terms of depth.

I wouldn't mind if he was the centerpiece of the Comrie return, with the Oates signing we don't need an nhl'er right away.
How about perry and Vishnevski instead of the pick. I could live with that.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:44 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
We still have problems, we still need to be better. An NHL'er is a must if this trade must go down and the team is to truly move forward.

If you're acquiring a prospect, it has to be a top-10 in the world type (which people supposedly won't give up, so in other words, you don't trade for a prospect). He is clearly not.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Tidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
He's very weak and his skating is average.
Who? Comrie?

Old
11-25-2003, 07:49 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus
Who? Comrie?
No. Corey Perry.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:50 PM
Digger12

Quote:
This kid is on pace for 150+ points
Actually, he's on pace for 133. They only play 68 reg. season games in the OHL. :p

Old
11-25-2003, 07:53 PM
hillbillypriest

This call may come back to haunt me but I just don't buy idea that Lowe will make a deal in the next week with a Western conference bubble team and not get a credible player in return. Eastern maybe, but a western team in the position 6-10 range that will get better with Comrie as an addition and doesn't have to subtract a roster player makes too little sense.

Also, if Lowe is willing to go for prospects, why not wait until he can have a better sense of the draft position he gets back? And why give up a player like comrie relatively early in the year to ensure that the pick gets worse and worse? Again a high prospects/draft choice rumour doesn't make sense.

There is no need to panic. No need to dump Comrie's salary - it's no drain on the budget.

In short. No reason to believe that the lowered asking price scenario/imminent trade "smoke" has an actual fire. I'm also not pursuaded that just because a number of media outlets are repeating the rumour it means anything. These guys feed off each other, so the fact that three media sources are saying the same thing they heard somebody else say on TV also means nothing.

Like I said, this post could come back to haunt me, but I just don't buy the premise....

Old
11-25-2003, 07:56 PM
hockeyaddict101

Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
This call may come back to haunt me but I just don't buy idea that Lowe will make a deal in the next week with a Western conference bubble team and not get a credible player in return. Eastern maybe, but a western team in the position 6-10 range that will get better with Comrie as an addition and doesn't have to subtract a roster player makes too little sense.

Also, if Lowe is willing to go for prospects, why not wait until he can have a better sense of the draft position he gets back? And why give up a player like comrie relatively early in the year to ensure that the pick gets worse and worse? Again a high prospects/draft choice rumour doesn't make sense.

There is no need to panic. No need to dump Comrie's salary - it's no drain on the budget.

In short. No reason to believe that the lowered asking price scenario/imminent trade "smoke" has an actual fire. I'm also not pursuaded that just because a number of media outlets are repeating the rumour it means anything. These guys feed off each other, so the fact that three media sources are saying the same thing they heard somebody else say on TV also means nothing.

Like I said, this post could come back to haunt me, but I just don't buy the premise....
and how I will join you in believing that this new rumour doesn't make much sense. Why so little for Comrie and why the hurry to suddenly trade him?

I don't buy it either.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:08 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Actually, he's on pace for 133. They only play 68 reg. season games in the OHL. :p
As OGE has pointed out on another Comrie thread, the Oilers already have a guy that has led the OHL in scoring and put up those kind of numbers twice - Sarno. He'd be a great player if he could only crack the depth chart.

(btw - I actually rather like Sarno).

Old
11-25-2003, 08:12 PM
oilswell

Quote:
How about this premise: Lowe is talking to Anaheim and this is only what they offered. Could be true and so far as I can tell Lowe has said "no".

Old
11-25-2003, 08:17 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
How about this premise: Lowe is talking to Anaheim and this is only what they offered. Could be true and so far as I can tell Lowe has said "no".
until further notice, that makes the most sense to me, too.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:17 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Absolutely. Some people keep talking about how they want a roster player, no matter what. But a roster player won't help the team if he's no good. The Oilers can still easily win a deal going the prospects route, and if they can't, I wouldn't trade him.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:19 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
until further notice, that makes the most sense to me, too.
Makes sense to me too. I just don't picture Lowe being anywhere close to saying yes yet.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:46 PM
camboy

Quote:

Excellent points....I agree with you 100%. I also find it funny that the MC rumours have gone from top six forward or top four d-man to 2nd round picks. If I was Lowe, I would forget I had even met Mike Comrie. I would stick that asset in the garage, throw a cover over it, and hope that it doesn't rust too bad!

Old
11-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Hemsky4PM

I can see prospects as part of a deal. Considering Oates is in the fold now and we have no NEED for a top 6 forward. Seems we have 7 guys "capable" of serving that roll, 5 definates: Smyth, Oates, Hemsky, York and Dvorak, and Torres and Isbister riding the LW on the 2nd line depending on who's hot. A top 4 defenseman would be nice, but our back end isn't too bad, if Brewer wasn't struggling so badly the need for a d-man would be greatly reduced.

Lots of guys are dominant in junior. I would bet that if Lowe is looking for prospects that a deal won't happen untill after the WJC. That's when the best play the best and it becomes clearer who has the mettle to make it to the bigs. Stoll, Torres, Fleury, Bouwmeester all had stellar WJC careers and junior hockey careers.

For this reason alone (assuming it's prospects Lowe wants) Comrie will be an Oiler until early January at the earliest.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
Excellent points....I agree with you 100%. I also find it funny that the MC rumours have gone from top six forward or top four d-man to 2nd round picks. If I was Lowe, I would forget I had even met Mike Comrie. I would stick that asset in the garage, throw a cover over it, and hope that it doesn't rust too bad!
True enough that adding only second tier prospects while significantly strengthening the competition makes no sense for us. I'm actually surprised Anaheim wants Comrie at all given their depth at center - it makes very little sense really. So Anaheim can offer ANYTHING but that doesn't mean Lowe has to take it.

My money is still on LA or Nashville.

Closed Thread