HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

some serious business

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2003, 01:29 AM
patastrophe

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to patastrophe
some serious business

hey guys and girls, i posted this in the panthers forum the other night and everone seemed supportive of it. if youre interested, you can find your individual club addresses at http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/faq/club_info.html if youd like to copy my letter or just mine it for ideas, or if you totally disagree with me and have something else youd like to tell the league and players please just respond! theyre going to screw around and throw away a season or more of our game and most of us fans dont seem to think we can do anything about it.

heres a copy of my post, and just as a p.s. the typos and so forth have already been edited out of the real letters.

everyone and his grandmother (that watches hockey anyway) pretty much knows theres a lockout coming. id like to try to see if we can actually force their hand in avoiding it. i dont know how much of a shot at it we have, but i think we ought to start a letter writing campaign to put some fan pressure on them to get a deal done...as baseball fans did to avert a possible lockout in their sport. as gate driven as our league is, the threat of hitting them in the wallet carries a little more weight for us...if we dont go to games, they dont have tv money to bail themselves out. Thus, our games greatest weakness becomes a pretty good tool for the fans to use against BOTH sides to force them to get a deal done.

anyways, im sending a letter to each of the following: the nhl league offices, the nhlpa, the florida panthers, and russo, biggane, and neal. I urge all of you to do the same. im going to copy my letter into the post so you guys can see it before i send it out, and if youd like to use mine your more than welcome. I have some friends here in l.a. that are going to get the kings and ducks offices as well as elliott and the rest from the times and the o.c. register.

also, if you guys think this is a good idea, lets take it to the other forums and get the fans of other teams in on it. heimy, you and mark, being moderators would probably be a big help in this if you agree with it.

here are the addresses for the league and team offices

National Hockey League
1251 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020

National Hockey League Players Association
777 Bay St., Ste. 2400
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C8, Canada

Florida Panthers Hockey Club
One Panther Parkway
Sunrise, FL 33323

and here is a copy of the letter im sending:

November 27, 2003

National Hockey League
1251 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020

CC: The Florida Panthers, The National Hockey League Players Association, Mike Russo-The South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Brian Biggane-The Palm Beach Post, David J. Neal-The Miami Herald

To whom it may concern,

As a fan of the National Hockey League, as well as and ardent consumer and supporter of our game, I find talk of an impending lockout deeply disturbing as well as somewhat offensive. While I am quite comfortable with the fact that big league sports is an enormous business with revenues in the hundreds of millions and growing, fans have quite a different perspective of things. We suffer with our teams when they lose, we rejoice with our teams when they are victorious, but
above all WE PAY THE BILLS. We spend our money on tickets, and concessions, and jerseys, and hats, and stickers, and we spend it loyally as well as abundantly.
In short, itís the fans that are the lifeblood of this sport. Not Nextel, or ESPN/ABC, or Fox Sports Net, or Microsoft, or the NHLPA, or Bob Goodenow, or Bill Daly, or Gary Bettman. The aforementioned entities will not suffer much in the case of a lockout. Itís the fans that suffer at your expense. At a time when the regular, blue-collar type family that put the NHL in the position it is in now can barely afford single games, much less season tickets, for some to insist that there is not a solution to prevent a lockout is insulting and detestable. We, the fans, are quite aware of the amount of money flowing through the gates, because we put it in the cash drawer. We, the fans, are also quite sick of the all or nothing rhetoric being played out by both sides in the media with no hope, or apparently, any desire to compromise and save next season. You will notice I make no effort to choose between the players and the owners as to who is right. That is because as a fan I quite honestly could care less, as long as the situation is resolved in an equitable fashion, we have a healthy league, and the games go on.
That being said, I know that I am only one individual. If there is a lockout I will choose to turn my sports dollar elsewhere. I love our game and it would pain me immeasurably to do so, but I have no interest in patronizing a product that would have such a callous disregard for its customers as to suspend operations without so much as a half-hearted attempt to resolve a labor dispute. I am only one person, but I know other fans who feel the same way.

Old
11-29-2003, 05:54 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
So basically you want the owners to take whatever the players give them so we don't miss any games? Sorry, but that's just not what is best for the sport. Missing a portion of the season is well worth getting a more desirable CBA.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:41 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by patastrophe
In short, itís the fans that are the lifeblood of this sport. Not Nextel, or ESPN/ABC, or Fox Sports Net, or Microsoft, or the NHLPA, or Bob Goodenow, or Bill Daly, or Gary Bettman. The aforementioned entities will not suffer much in the case of a lockout.
I totally disagree with this statement.

First off, a multimillion dollar buisiness(owners or players) that doesnt run for a year will be hit hard in the pocketts. And you cant tell me most owners arent hockey fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patastrophe
Itís the fans that suffer at your expense. At a time when the regular, blue-collar type family that put the NHL in the position it is in now can barely afford single games, much less season tickets, for some to insist that there is not a solution to prevent a lockout is insulting and detestable.
And thats why there needs to be a lockout. They are gonna have to take the time to do it right this time. If nothing else the league needs to have a temporary payroll freeze(meaning no raises) in place to let the revenues catch up with the salaries. For me and most fans it will be hard to go a year w/o hockey. But i believe the game will be better for it in the long run. Wouldnt it be worth it to see a small market team have every chance of being a dominant team as the large market teams?

Old
11-30-2003, 12:35 AM
patastrophe

Send a message via Yahoo to patastrophe
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
I totally disagree with this statement.

First off, a multimillion dollar buisiness(owners or players) that doesnt run for a year will be hit hard in the pocketts. And you cant tell me most owners arent hockey fans.

And thats why there needs to be a lockout. They are gonna have to take the time to do it right this time. If nothing else the league needs to have a temporary payroll freeze(meaning no raises) in place to let the revenues catch up with the salaries. For me and most fans it will be hard to go a year w/o hockey. But i believe the game will be better for it in the long run. Wouldnt it be worth it to see a small market team have every chance of being a dominant team as the large market teams?

my response to this post and the post previous is straight from the letter: That is because as a fan I quite honestly could care less, as long as the situation is resolved in an equitable fashion, we have a healthy league, and the games go on.

i dont want a panic driven cba that puts the game in an even worse position, i want them to put aside the rhetoric and get a good one done NOW.

Closed Thread