HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: 11/11/06 New York Rangers @ Washington Capitals, 7:00pm EST

Old
11-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
It's clear with this team this year it's either..

play there hearts out and win most of the time..

Play like tonight and lose 100% of the time..

We've seen losses like this before from this team. Pittsburgh, Florida, Nashville, Kings, etc etc.. If you let the other team outwork you'll never win and that's the Rangers problem right now..

If Orr can't beat a guy like Brashear what's the point of having him on the team?

Jagr looks at his sticks an awful lot...I don't know if that's the reason the shot is off but something is in his head..I'm not knocking his play or even effort but he has as many goals as Prucha..

Tyutin Ward were the Rangers best pairing..

Rozsival played a decent game but his partner needs to go. Two weeks ago I went off how Kaspar would be back and it would be terrible for the team....Now I'd rather see Kaspar and his ECHL skating speed than Malik. Malik is what Ulanov and Karpa were to the Rangers. Pock can't be worse than this....

Ozo and Rachunek showed tonight everything that can go wrong with that pairing. From the turnover by Ozo to the lack of aggresion by Rachunek the first goal was clearly on the PAIR.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Some thoughts:

-Kozig, stole the show, easily the 1st star of the game.

Overall..I thought we played a solid game, Kozig was just on his game, any other goalie I think we would have won this one..or at least made it much closer.
As much as the Rangers were outworked at points in this game...Kolzig stole this win for the Caps. The Rangers still should have won this game even though they played pretty poorly at times.

I can't stand Kolzig, it seems like he does this to the Rangers every single time we play against him.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 01:07 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Missed the game...anyone wanna fill me in?

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 01:17 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Missed the game...anyone wanna fill me in?
Read what me and SoS said...that summaries it so far unless anyone else wants to add.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 03:19 AM
Edge

My thoughts after tivo'ing it and watching after the Mrs. and I got home.

The Rangers played up and down. At times they looked to clicking, at other times sleepwalking. Kolzig certainly stole some goals but part of the problem was that I never felt there was sustained pressure long enough. There were spurts and in this spurts Kolzig came up big, but there didn't seem to be a constant pressure.

Frankly, from the begining, it seemed like the Rangers just didn't "look" like they've should've won the game.

Of the three goals they gave up, two of them were sad.

Ozo's mishap (beautifully described by high-risk/high-reward) was the first bad play.

Personally I thought the second goal was a softie from Lundqvist (who though playing better still seems to be letting in shots he shouldn't be, and usually to the tune of one a game).

The third one was a nice move by the caps, though I think Malik also got turned inside out.

Ironically I liked the Rangers not backing down, I liked most of their play. But when you let in a softie and and make a very bad defensive play you're making it that much harder on yourself.

In that sense this was another game where it would take the offense to recover for defensive blunders. Simply put, when this team runs into a hot goalie or the offense is a little tired, it cannot rely on the defense to pull out the win. It's almost guranteed someone on that blueline is going to do something stupid. It's almost as if they have some kind of contractual obligation to screw at least one play up royally.

I think the third line needs to show it can generate offense. I think there is where ideally Cullen provides that spark while the Rangers role out guys who are bit better suited for the top two lines. It seems like the team is one center short.

Still not impressed with Colton. An average (at best 4th liner) and frankly for a "fighter" I'm not seeing all that much that's caught my eye so far. A fall down battle with Boulton and a fall down battle with Brashear, both times just about over soon after the camera even gets over there.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 04:42 AM
Chicago Blueshirts

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Blueshirts
Overall this was a letdown after some big wins. We did pick up the play in the second and especially the third period, but by that time the game was well at hand.

I also don't think Kolzig "stole" this win. By the time he turned his game on, the Caps were already up 2-0. He prevented us from getting back in it, but we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. Too many bad penalties, too many missed opportunities on special teams.

Still, I'm not too upset about this loss. Considering how dominant we had been on this road trip, it's understandable that the guys were tired. The Caps contained Jagr for most of the game, but had he been better rested (and playing in a place with fewer bad memories) he probably could have made more plays. And for Shanny to play so dominantly while pushing 40, it's understandable that he'd not be on his A game at the end of a long road trip.

I think it's a good building block, and I am extremely psyched for Tuesday's Devils game at the Garden.

Chicago Blueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Blueshirts View Post
I also don't think Kolzig "stole" this win. By the time he turned his game on, the Caps were already up 2-0.
That is true. Had he seen the kind of offensive pressure the Rangers generated in the 3rd throughout the whole game, he would have just worn down. Hats off to him for being able to get into a game after no work in the first though.

I really just don't even like the Rangers 4th line. The team needs players who can provide more that than line is currently providing. Hossa and Orr just aren't accomplishing anything despite some serviceable play and it hurts J. Ward's contribtion. It hard to remember last season when the guy was a role model for hard work and surprise offense.

I agree with Edge that another real center in the mix would help establish more complimentary and constructive lines. Although I think you envision a skilled player via trade, I think giving a shot to Dubinsky or Immonen with Dawes and Ward gives Renney a 4th line that might not be the "safe" alternative, but could actually provide some offensive spark when the top line forwards are visibly exhausted.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Ola

Olli saved everything throwed at him last night, but he didn't win the game for caps.

We talk about how teams are learning Lundqvist book, shooting high on him. If there is one goalie in the league to shoot high on, its Kölzig. I only watched the 3rd period, and we didn't shoot high on Kölzig once (besides the throwins from the blueline). Why? Because our shooters where always pressured. Its easy to pick the top corner if you are allowed to walk into the slot and fire away. Its really hard to pick the top corner if you are pressured. Washington played extremely collected defensivly, what decided this game where how we where sloppy with the puck, not taking advantage of Washington inviting us into their zone. We should have pressured them, drawn penaltys, and executed. Instead we gave the puck away every other shift, let Washington on constant counter attacks. Giving them hope. Thats what decided this game, not Kölzig.

Also on our shots. The comcast broadcasters talked about Shanny having one of the best shots ever in the NHL. I don't agree. If Jagr last season would have had the same amount of pointblank shots as Shanny have had this season, Jagr would have had 25 goals, not 13. Shanny's shot are really fast, they are really hard, and they are almost always low. Though he is not able to read the goaltenders before he shots like Jagr for example are. In he sniper department Shanny are bringing quantity, not all that much quality. Shanny have suprised me allot with his overall game. He is a great signing and all. But he could take advantage of his pointblanc shots allot better then he have so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
8-2 now!

Here's the boxscore:

1. HFD Falardeau, (1) (Kasparaitis, Purinton), 2:07
1. HFD Helminen, (2) (Degon, Girardi), 5:05 (PP)
1. HFD Richter, (1) (Kasparaitis, Korpikoski), 9:03
1. HFD Callahan, (7) (Lampman, Girardi), 12:11 (PP)
1. SAN Taffe, (6) (Thomas), 15:16
2. HFD Moore, (3) (Immonen, Falardeau), 7:01
2. SAN Latendresse, (1) (Thomas, Flinn), 8:21
2. HFD Callahan, (8) (Korpikoski, Girardi), 13:38 (PP)
2. HFD Callahan, (9) (Immonen, Girardi), 15:35 (PP)
2. HFD Helminen, (3) , 17:29

2 periods are played!...
.. at least something to smile about.. unlike the Rangers... AND ANOTHER CRAPPY PASS BY OZO...
Make that 9-3!!!

I posted some comments on the game in the prospect thread.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 09:37 AM
True Blue

Views from Verizon

Saw the game live as I had to go to DC. From the start you could tell that the Rangers were playing their 3rd game in 4th nights. They were sluggish at best and did not come ready to play. However, all that aside, one of the bigger things that I got out of the game is this: There is simply no way that a team with playoff success aspectations can have Malik, Ozolinsh, Rozsival & Rachunek as 4 of it's 6 defensemen. Ozolinsh made his pattented, blind, half-hearted pass that resulted in the first goal. And that set the stage.
I had great seats and saw that virtually EVERY time that Malik & Rozsival were on the ice, the Caps cut through them like a knife through butter. There simply is no safe lead when the aforementioned foursome comprises the majority of the defense. Caps forwards were going around Malik & Rozsival and cutting through the middle. In fact, seemingly on every shift, they had to hurry and skate back becuase yet another forward got past them. I have no idea of how Renney can even talk about accountability and discipline without addressing the charmed life of some of these so-called defensemen. And Pock continues to rot on the bench....

BTW, I never want to hear another word about Orr. Him and Hossa are useless as 4th line players. A pair of skating holes on the ice.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 11:59 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Saw the game live as I had to go to DC. From the start you could tell that the Rangers were playing their 3rd game in 4th nights. They were sluggish at best and did not come ready to play. However, all that aside, one of the bigger things that I got out of the game is this: There is simply no way that a team with playoff success aspectations can have Malik, Ozolinsh, Rozsival & Rachunek as 4 of it's 6 defensemen. Ozolinsh made his pattented, blind, half-hearted pass that resulted in the first goal. And that set the stage.
I had great seats and saw that virtually EVERY time that Malik & Rozsival were on the ice, the Caps cut through them like a knife through butter. There simply is no safe lead when the aforementioned foursome comprises the majority of the defense. Caps forwards were going around Malik & Rozsival and cutting through the middle. In fact, seemingly on every shift, they had to hurry and skate back becuase yet another forward got past them. I have no idea of how Renney can even talk about accountability and discipline without addressing the charmed life of some of these so-called defensemen. And Pock continues to rot on the bench....

BTW, I never want to hear another word about Orr. Him and Hossa are useless as 4th line players. A pair of skating holes on the ice.
I admittedly did not watch the game, but what I do know is that Orr only played 2:18 and given that amount of ice time I don't know what can tick you so much about the guy

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 10:15 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
I admittedly did not watch the game, but what I do know is that Orr only played 2:18 and given that amount of ice time I don't know what can tick you so much about the guy
In all honesty this was a very bad game for Colton Orr. Hossa was as mediocre as ever too.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I didnt get to see the game but from the sounds of it I didnt miss much. Its a shame to because these where two points they should have had. Oh well, now they have to redeam themselves at the garden on tuesday against the Devils. Lets Go Rangers!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Fletch

Glad I didn't waste my time...

watching this one - very much enjoyed my night out at the Brooklyn Brewery instead.

What it sounds like is that the Rangers are an average team. They play some good games, and they play some bad games. Seems as though there's little continuity in the games and a lot of inconsitency. Even a guy like Nylander, who can score in the first 30 seconds, turn the puck over 20 seconds later because he's too fancy, which leads to a scoring chance against, take a stupid, lazy penalty, then score again. The point is, the game's 60 minutes long; your job isn't over if you score a goal or make a good play.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
watching this one - very much enjoyed my night out at the Brooklyn Brewery instead.

What it sounds like is that the Rangers are an average team. They play some good games, and they play some bad games. Seems as though there's little continuity in the games and a lot of inconsitency. Even a guy like Nylander, who can score in the first 30 seconds, turn the puck over 20 seconds later because he's too fancy, which leads to a scoring chance against, take a stupid, lazy penalty, then score again. The point is, the game's 60 minutes long; your job isn't over if you score a goal or make a good play.
I hope Renney is beating that into their heads in practice every day. Although that should go without saying when you are a pro, but who knows lol. But I agree Fletch they need to get a handle on that whole consistancy issue asap. I thought they where done taking those stupid lazy penalty's, but I thought wrong apparently. All I know is they better bring their A game tomorrow night against the Devils.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Fletch

The Rangers...

may need their bottom six to perform well to win this game. Madden and Pandolfo have done pretty well against Jagr. Betts & Co. may have to help neutralize Elias while Shanny's line becomes the difference in scoring.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 10:23 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Madden and Pandolfo have done pretty well against Jagr. Betts & Co. may have to help neutralize Elias while Shanny's line becomes the difference in scoring.
Yes, I agree. Jagr is going to be non-factor for awhile. After that fall down on his left elbow he stopped shooting again. It is an obvious setback in his recovery. But don't forget Straka and Nylander. They've been hot as of late.
Shanahan is not the same after low back problem, as far as shooting is concerned, but he can set up Prucha as well as Cullen. Since both team will think defense first it would be a boring game. 2nd line is to win or loose it, as you sad.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote