HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Saints of Jersey

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Brentfax

vCash: 500
Saints of Jersey

I have just seen Elias knock over the LA goalie Huet with nobody around and the devils get a goal off the play. This is just another instance which I have noticed over the past few years, the refs seem to not call penalties on Jersey for borderline plays and in this instance some downright obvious calls. What gives.
Does Lou have some secret power with the NHL head office that is giving his team an unfair advantage, there is something going on.
You would think the way Burns was screaming and yelling at the refs at the end of their last game, which by the way was a Jersey win, the refs usually take it out on you the next game not that they will admit to it. Not Jersey though.
Seems to be two sets of rules here and I'm not liking it.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:18 PM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
Maybe we need a 3rd Ref

Old
11-25-2003, 07:48 PM
BCCHL inactive

Yes. The NHLOA is being bribed by Lou Lamoriello and are intentionally trying to help the Devils win.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:49 PM
DevilFisch

Send a message via ICQ to DevilFisch Send a message via AIM to DevilFisch
It was an iffy call. Elias looked like he just lost balance, not intentionally knocking over Huet. I don't know if the goal should have been allowed, but the refs made their decision and let the goal stand. It's kind of pointless to complain about it now. (Especially since it's now 4-0)

Old
11-25-2003, 07:56 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

People and teams benefit (or suffer) from their reputations.

The Devils are recognized as a team that takes few penalties and makes smart defensive plays. Their actions are analyzed in that light, for better or worse.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:01 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I think this has been a major problem in the league since they got rid of the crease rule. It's now gone from one end of the spectrum to the other. It used to be if you even sniffed that goalie it was a penalty or no goal.

Every game I see the goaltender get run at least once and they aren't even calling interference anymore. They have got to find some sort of happy medium

Old
11-25-2003, 08:03 PM
riles

The refs should just call the play dead, like what happened to Edmonton on Saturday. Hemsky tried to avoid the goalie but still caught a piece of him the play was called dead, unfortuneately it took away a goal from Edmonton but that's how it should be called.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:06 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Elias knocked him over, but Huet was more or less out of the crease. Huet's skates were on the white ice. So I say it should have been allowed. Its not like Elias ran him over. Huet looked like he embelished a bit too to draw a penalty call.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Yes. The NHLOA is being bribed by Lou Lamoriello and are intentionally trying to help the Devils win.
Blast~! Straight from Van himself . Those blasted devils.......always working mischief

Old
11-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI
Elias knocked him over, but Huet was more or less out of the crease. Huet's skates were on the white ice. So I say it should have been allowed. Its not like Elias ran him over. Huet looked like he embelished a bit too to draw a penalty call.
The goaltender is allowed to go to the top of the crease. It is the players job to not make contact. It's really as simple as that.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:15 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
So you admit that the refs are gambling their pensions on the Devils to win

Old
11-25-2003, 08:15 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles
The refs should just call the play dead, like what happened to Edmonton on Saturday. Hemsky tried to avoid the goalie but still caught a piece of him the play was called dead, unfortuneately it took away a goal from Edmonton but that's how it should be called.
I disagree. If it is an innocent collision while the goaltender is out of his crease, the fact that one of the players in the collision wears huge pads shouldn't mean the play is dead.

If a goaltender wanders out of his crease and collides with a player, that's his problem, not the referee's.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:17 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
The goaltender is allowed to go to the top of the crease. It is the players job to not make contact. It's really as simple as that.

His skates were on the white ice, not the blue so I am saying he is not in the crease at all. It also doesn't help when the goalie intentionally runs into players to draw penalties.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Laperriere22*

I thought Huet hammed it up more than anything. I know Fox was absolutely convinced that Elias bowled him over, but the replays I saw suggested slight contact at best. Nothing hard enough to knock Huet flat on his back. I could see complaining about the double minor Niedermayer should have gotten for cutting Belanger, but goaltender interference would have been a weak call on that play IMO. I'm not at all convinced that Miller should have gotten the delay of game penalty that led to the Elias play and the Niedermayer PP goal.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:08 PM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentfax
I have just seen Elias knock over the LA goalie Huet with nobody around and the devils get a goal off the play. This is just another instance which I have noticed over the past few years, the refs seem to not call penalties on Jersey for borderline plays and in this instance some downright obvious calls. What gives.

Yes. There is nothing more the NHL wants than to have the Devils succeed. And for their part, the Devils have also done plenty to endear themselves to officials over the years, by hiring coaches that throw benches on the ice and call referees "fat pigs" after playoff games.

<JESTER>

Old
11-25-2003, 09:10 PM
zeppelin97

Saints of Jersey

*yawn*

At least i got some programming work done. The devils have to be the boringest team ever. No wonder attendance sucks, i really don't blame NJ fans.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:11 PM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin97
*yawn*

At least i got some programming work done. The devils have to be the boringest team ever. No wonder attendance sucks, i really don't blame NJ fans.
Can't blame the Devils for the home team not showing up.

<JESTER>

Old
11-25-2003, 09:14 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester

<JESTER>
They were injured.

Old
11-26-2003, 12:27 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester

<JESTER>
Yes, but the home team was "exciting"! Lousy but exciting!

Twelve in a row without a loss and counting....29 other teams wish they were so dull.

Old
11-26-2003, 04:47 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Twelve in a row without a loss and counting....29 other teams wish they were so dull.

Maybe just 28. :p

Old
11-26-2003, 08:21 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
They were injured.
So? Its not like its the Devils fault that the opposing teams players are made out of twigs.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:16 AM
fullmetalninja

What's Sean Avery's average per game of running into a 'tender? 3? 4?

LA doesn't have much room to talk as far as goalie interference goes....

Now as far as the devils are concerned... I agree with you.

The fact of the matter is, The NHL does not call "passive interference". Picks, slowing down guys in the neutral zone, hooks that prevent a man from reaching a puck... That's pretty much New Jersey's gameplan!

This has been going on since the mid 90's and has been exported to Minnesota, Nashville, and a bunch of other squads(for better/for worse).

I didn't see the play, but I'll just say this- both sides are probably right. If it would have been Turner Stevenson hitting the goaltender(or Kip Brennan or something) the penalty would have been called.

If The goaltender was out of the crease- he should be somewhat 'fair game'.

Its part of the hypocrisy that is the NHL officiating, and its maddening to watch. Because both sides of this argument are probably right! It should be let go(if he was out of the crease), but if it weren't for a reputation, it would have been called...

-fullmetalninja

Old
11-26-2003, 09:31 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja
Picks, slowing down guys in the neutral zone, hooks that prevent a man from reaching a puck... That's pretty much New Jersey's gameplan!
You haven't actually watched a Devils game since 1995, have you?

The Devils' trap works by clogging passing lanes, pressuring the puckcarrier, and forcing a high-risk pass.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:26 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Making a deal with the Devil Bedazzled Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Blast~! Straight from Van himself . Those blasted devils.......always working mischief

Satan & Elliott in a schoolroom

Elliott talks to Satan during his Basketball star wish

Seems like a good plan to me.

Closed Thread