HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Oil one of the deepest teams?

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 06:59 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Ya, we definately have good depth. That is the secret to our success. We roll four lines - few other teams can do that and be succesful. On our fourth line we have guys that would make a top six on a good number on teams in the NHL. Most NHL teams would have a spot for Rita, we don't - that shows our depth.
We certainly showed our depth tonight. Detroit 7 - Oilers 1
Our depth in the faceoff circle.
Our PK depth.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
You can't be serious. You are saying that Chimera is better than Conroy, Gelinas, Saprykin, Clark, Donovan etc.... based on 2G and 2A. HA HA HA HA HA HA !!! That's a good one. So by your logic, McLennan is a better goalie than Joseph, Hasek, Cloutier, Turco, Nabokov, Burke, Giguere, Cechmanek etc.... You said it, not me.
I think you misinterpreted dawgbone's post. Read again:

Quote:
Chimera - 21 GP 2 G 2 A -1 (10:37 of ice per game)

which is still better than Clark, Conroy, Saprykin, Donovan, Betts, Oliwa, Lowry...
----------
Quote:
The reason the Oilers forwards have better numbers is because they score more goals, that does not make them better.
Then what does? The way they tie their skates?

Quote:
Chimera is just plain brutal and I can't believe you think he is better than any forward on the Flames, let alone Conroy, Saprykin & Gelinas. I would take Oliwa in a heartbeat over Chimera.
Brutal? Then explain how Chimera (23 pts in 66 gp) had the same number of/more points last year than every current Flames forward (that played for Calgary at some point in the 2002-03 season) except for Conroy (59 in 79), Iginla (67 in 75), Gelinas (52 in 81), and Yelle (25 in 82).

You would take Oliwa over Chimera? Bahahahaha!

Quote:
You can't compare goals & assists when you are talking about two totally different teams.
Sure you can, that's why they have player awards during and at the end of each season.

Quote:
Oilers fans get so worked up.
Care to elaborate?

Quote:
And I'm not even going to bother with the Vancouver comparison as anyone can see that is flat out non-sense as the Canucks are twice as deep as the Oilers.
That is gold, pal. They're deeper than the Oilers? But... didn't their top line of Naslund, Bertuzzi, and Morrison account for around half their goals? And when that line was shutdown, wasn't the entire team silent, leading to their exit in the playoffs?

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 11-26-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old
11-26-2003, 07:33 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
So you miss the Flames games when the Oilers play on the same night?

So maybe you are an Oilers fans. As an Oiler fan it is impossible for me to watch every Flames game as sometimes the teams play on the same night.

Maybe you could explain how you have seen every Oilers game if you are a Flames fan?
I found that statement of his confusing as well. His location says he lives in Prince Edward Island. Why would anyone stay up into the early morning to watch a team that isn't even their favorite? Also, I didn't know you could order the Oilers' pay-per-view games from P.E.I. but I guess Garfield does.

Old
11-26-2003, 08:53 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraque27
Mizral saying that Smyth isn't a first-liner is the most damning comment on the Canucks I have heard yet. . .after all, how far can you expect to go in the playoffs with a second-line center (Morrison) playing first-line, and a third-line center (Sedin) playing second-line?
I'm not sure why you are talking about the Canucks here, as Mizral didn't mention them in his post. Why not debate or disagree with what he says instead of introducing completely unrelated comments? Other posters have said how they rate the Oilers players and that's what the thread is about. What the Canucks players have to do with the Oilers organization is beyond me.

Also, everyone knows that the Canucks have much more pressing needs to address before they attend to what you point out is their lack of a #1 center.

I'd rank Smyth as a #1 line guy on any team in the league.

There are players that due to their age are still capable of getting much better on the Oilers, so it's difficult to rate them. Hemsky as everyone knows has tons of upside, but is he a top line guy this season? Is Comrie a true top line center? or is he really an excellent 2nd line guy on a team with no true #1 guy?

I think Dvorak could end up being a top line player, but he has to prove that.

I'd like the Oilers to pick up a young #1 or #2 defenceman in a Comrie trade... it would make a significant impact on their team.

Last edited by quat: 11-26-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old
11-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
I found that statement of his confusing as well. His location says he lives in Prince Edward Island. Why would anyone stay up into the early morning to watch a team that isn't even their favorite? Also, I didn't know you could order the Oilers' pay-per-view games from P.E.I. but I guess Garfield does.
You have to remember that Garfield has magic powers, such as telepathy and the ability to make his TV show him whatever he wants to see.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

Old
11-26-2003, 11:15 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
That is gold, pal. They're deeper than the Oilers? But... didn't their top line of Naslund, Bertuzzi, and Morrison account for around half their goals? And when that line was shutdown, wasn't the entire team silent, leading to their exit in the playoffs?
If you're going to be talking about the Oilers this season, wouldn't it make sense to talk about the Canucks this year as well?

I would have no trouble saying the Canucks are deeper at the moment than the Oilers, and still feel that's no slight at all towards Edmonton. They are in different stages of development. I would say with this crew, the Oilers are where the Nucks were a couple of years ago.

The Canucks are a better team than last years model, and I think their depth is pretty impressive. When you have players as skilled as Linden and Arvedson on your third line, you've got to be happy. Having said that... the Canucks will be a better team next year just because everyone, and especially the second line will be a year older.

Like a couple of posters here have pointed out, it's kind of early to be judging the stature of players who are expected to learn their rolls on the job. For example, Smyth playing with Thorton right now would be putting up big #s, and I doubt anyone would say he didn't belong there... but since he's playing with guys who haven't reached anywhere near what's expected of them, he doesn't really get that chance to shine. I look at the Oilers in two years, and almost every player (forward), has the chance of developing into the roll he now plays. Hemsky isn't a top line player now, but if he keeps developing, he will be in a year or two. Of course a lot of that is potential and there are hundreds of players who never reach theirs... so guarded optimism is always a safe way of judging ones team.

I've enjoyed reading this thread, as it pretty clear there are many here who know a lot of hockey.

Cheers

Old
11-27-2003, 09:05 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
You have to remember that Garfield has magic powers, such as telepathy and the ability to make his TV show him whatever he wants to see.

Welcome to the board, by the way.
It's called Centre Ice Package. Ever heard of it ?? And yes, the PPV games are included so put that in your pipe and smoke it. Just because I live in PEI doesn't mean I see less of the Oilers. Do you guys hang out with them in the dressing room or something ??

Last edited by HellsBells: 11-27-2003 at 09:17 AM.
Old
11-27-2003, 09:13 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
----------

Then what does? The way they tie their skates?
Defense counts too. But that doesn't matter to the Oilers as they would rather lose 7-5 then win 1-0. That's their problem but scoring more goals does not make you a better team as you suggest. You think the Oilers are better than the Devils ?? No way !!

That's a typical Oilers fan. Only looking at GF and disregards GA. The Flames are only 3pts back with 3 games in hand. The Flames WILL finish ahead of the Oilers this year, just wait and see. If they don't, I'll never post on this board again. You have my word and the mods can hold me to it.

Old
11-27-2003, 09:21 AM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Defense counts too. But that doesn't matter to the Oilers as they would rather lose 7-5 then win 1-0. That's their problem but scoring more goals does not make you a better team as you suggest. You think the Oilers are better than the Devils ?? No way !!

That's a typical Oilers fan. Only looking at GF and disregards GA. The Flames are only 3pts back with 3 games in hand. The Flames WILL finish ahead of the Oilers this year, just wait and see. If they don't, I'll never post on this board again. You have my word and the mods can hold me to it.
Well, I'm sure gonna miss ya. Seriously. You've got some mad skills bro

For one, your typing skills are amazing! I've never met anyone who could type so well with his head firmly entrenched in his @ss as you can!

Keep up the good work

Old
11-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Thats a typical Flames fan. Every year in the beginning of the season they constantly bleat to each other that the Flames will finish ahead of the Oilers, as if one loss has any leverage or credibility to add to their weak logic, but it never happens.

Old
11-27-2003, 10:16 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
If you're going to be talking about the Oilers this season, wouldn't it make sense to talk about the Canucks this year as well?

I would have no trouble saying the Canucks are deeper at the moment than the Oilers, and still feel that's no slight at all towards Edmonton. They are in different stages of development. I would say with this crew, the Oilers are where the Nucks were a couple of years ago.

The Canucks are a better team than last years model, and I think their depth is pretty impressive. When you have players as skilled as Linden and Arvedson on your third line, you've got to be happy. Having said that... the Canucks will be a better team next year just because everyone, and especially the second line will be a year older.

Like a couple of posters here have pointed out, it's kind of early to be judging the stature of players who are expected to learn their rolls on the job. For example, Smyth playing with Thorton right now would be putting up big #s, and I doubt anyone would say he didn't belong there... but since he's playing with guys who haven't reached anywhere near what's expected of them, he doesn't really get that chance to shine. I look at the Oilers in two years, and almost every player (forward), has the chance of developing into the roll he now plays. Hemsky isn't a top line player now, but if he keeps developing, he will be in a year or two. Of course a lot of that is potential and there are hundreds of players who never reach theirs... so guarded optimism is always a safe way of judging ones team.

I've enjoyed reading this thread, as it pretty clear there are many here who know a lot of hockey.

Cheers
Oh, I agree quat. Good post. However, I haven't seen the Canucks much this year other than the game against the Oilers, so I wasn't going to make some idiotic assumption towards their depth. That's why I made a comment about them last season.

Quote:
It's called Centre Ice Package. Ever heard of it ?? And yes, the PPV games are included so put that in your pipe and smoke it. Just because I live in PEI doesn't mean I see less of the Oilers. Do you guys hang out with them in the dressing room or something ??
Of course I've heard of the NHL Centre Ice Package; I have it. I just find it a little odd that you would want to stay up and watch a team that isn't even your favorite. Not to mention the fact that you apparently watch Oiler games even when the Flames are playing. The only time I'll watch a Flames game is when they are getting killed. Other than that, I can't, partially because their announcer is an absolute homer (Roger Millions).

Quote:

The Oilers would rather lose 7-5 than win 1-0? R i g h t. Forwards, especially the top six, are supposed to score goals. Of course, only a few on Edmonton's roster are on the + side when it comes to +/- right now mainly because the entire team is playing bad in their own end. The Devils play the trap, so take that into consideration before you make a sarcastic remark like that. Oilers hockey is the way the game should be played.

I only look at goals for and not the ones against? I guess you missed my post about defense being their number one priority. I would rather see the Oilers keeping their opponents at bay, but they haven't thus far this year with the exception of a few games.

Flames fans always say their team will finish ahead of the Oilers. Last year over at another board, a Flames fan went nuts when Drury was acquired and then went on about how Calgary would finish higher than the Oilers. Two years ago when Calgary started out as the hottest team in the NHL, their fans were shouting "Stanley Cup". And then, there was the Flames fan on the boards over at their official site saying that Calgary would win the Northwest Division this year.

By the way, thanks Allan.

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 11-27-2003 at 10:20 AM.
Old
11-27-2003, 10:19 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Thats a typical Flames fan. Every year in the beginning of the season they constantly bleat to each other that the Flames will finish ahead of the Oilers, as if one loss has any leverage or credibility to add to their weak logic, but it never happens.
Typical Flames fan ?? I have never said the Flames would finish ahead of the Oilers until now. I would have been dreaming to think otherwise in years past. I have seen enough of both teams this year to base my opinion on it. I never said you have to agree as I wouldn't expect you to. But that holier than thou Oilers fans attitude is going to come back and bite you in the @ss. There is too much competition this year for the Oilers to make it. The Flames may not make it but they will finish ahead of the Oilers.

1. Colorado
2. Detroit
3. Anaheim
4. Vancouver
5. St. Louis
6. Dallas
7. Los Angeles
8. Calgary
-------------
9. Minnesota
10. Edmonton
11. Phoenix
12. San Jose
13. Nashville
14. Chicago
15. Columbus

Old
11-27-2003, 10:28 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Typical Flames fan ?? I have never said the Flames would finish ahead of the Oilers until now. I would have been dreaming to think otherwise in years past. I have seen enough of both teams this year to base my opinion on it. I never said you have to agree as I wouldn't expect you to. But that holier than thou Oilers fans attitude is going to come back and bite you in the @ss. There is too much competition this year for the Oilers to make it. The Flames may not make it but they will finish ahead of the Oilers.

1. Colorado
2. Detroit
3. Anaheim
4. Vancouver
5. St. Louis
6. Dallas
7. Los Angeles
8. Calgary
-------------
9. Minnesota
10. Edmonton
11. Phoenix
12. San Jose
13. Nashville
14. Chicago
15. Columbus
Wow. Is it just me, or do Flames fans get so worked up over a little two or three game winning streak?

Let me remind you that no one has seen Oates in the Oilers line-up yet, or Salo and Reasoner back from injury.

How about you post your end-of-the-season standings next week, when the Flames are officially eliminated from playoff contention?

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 11-27-2003 at 06:43 PM.
Old
11-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Wow. Is it me, or do Flames fans get so worked up over a little two or three game winning streak?

Let me remind you that no one has seen Oates in the Oilers line-up yet, or Salo and Reasoner back from injury.

How about you post your end-of-the-season standings next week, after the Flames are officially eliminated from playoff contention?
100% agree. The Flames have had decent starts every year for the past few, but in the end they come up limp. I would bet that they finish at least 10 points behind the Oilers and somewhere near the basement of the conference. They have a couple really good players but to me everything else is suspect. Sutter hockey only goes so far. You can only win so many games on effort - when the talent isn't there it becomes very difficult.

Old
11-27-2003, 12:56 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
100% agree. The Flames have had decent starts every year for the past few, but in the end they come up limp. I would bet that they finish at least 10 points behind the Oilers and somewhere near the basement of the conference. They have a couple really good players but to me everything else is suspect. Sutter hockey only goes so far. You can only win so many games on effort - when the talent isn't there it becomes very difficult.
Exactly. The Flames can't win every game by only scoring two goals, I don't care how good they think their defense is. I think Flames fans overrate their defense.

I just find our little Calgary troll good for a few laughs.

The Oiler suffer a blowout so our Calgary troll proclaims the Flames will finish ahead of the Oilers. *Garfields posts are disguised as . He has a serious inferiority complex and needs therapy.

*borrowed from OGE.

Closed Thread